Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » IRS Hiace diff???

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Jayem
Forums Junkie

November 2002
IRS Hiace diff??? Mon, 27 December 2004 13:57 Go to next message
Whats the diff in "slope nose" Hiace modells with IRS? I hear rumours that it would be 7.5".
No luck with Google, Info wanted.
  Send a private message to this user    
improvedae86
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: IRS Hiace diff??? Mon, 27 December 2004 22:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Most one i checked the trans code made them a G series .
Could also be lsd's some models , la Laughing y good rubber down the road
Jayem
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: IRS Hiace diff??? Mon, 27 December 2004 23:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Didnt the transcode marking system change in the mid 90s???
Most of the diffs found here, have LSD. Thanks to the snowy season. Laughing
Mr Revhead
Regular

October 2004
Re: IRS Hiace diff??? Mon, 27 December 2004 23:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
do you mean the jdm regius models?
im not sure on those, will check at work tomorrow if i rememeber.
or do you mean the latest shape nz/oz models? if so then they are mechanicly the same as previous models. bar small details. so no irs in those
Jayem
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: IRS Hiace diff??? Mon, 27 December 2004 23:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmm, Here in Finland the old Hiace was changed to this modell in 1996 or something...
http://www.fcross.co.uk/fcross/hiace.htm

These have IRS.
Were these imported to Australia?
Mr Revhead
Regular

October 2004
Re: IRS Hiace diff??? Mon, 27 December 2004 23:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ah ok, no those wernt imported into nz (where i am) not so sure about oz though. we have the jdm used import versions of those though, so far iv only seen the ppl mover versions though. tthe hiace regius. they come in turbo diesel and v6 petrol!

http://www.toyota.co.nz/NewVehicles/Model/Hiace/GL xtkfKGJtNAqgv5TjHNOg/2

theres the latest model we sell in nz
peeack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2004
Re: IRS Hiace diff??? Mon, 27 December 2004 23:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, there are a few Hiace SBV's (sub bonnet van) around Australia, don't know abouy the dif though sorry.
Jayem
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: IRS Hiace diff??? Mon, 27 December 2004 23:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Whatta hell!?
Importing of that modell stopped almost 10 years ago, here.
This is present modell here
http://www.toyota.fi/media/global/images/showroom/hiace/hia_04_im_z.jpg

[Updated on: Mon, 27 December 2004 23:38]

Mr Revhead
Regular

October 2004
Re: IRS Hiace diff??? Mon, 27 December 2004 23:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
really? well they still sell em here! and they lead the market in sales!
and they still sell that shape in japan as well.
maybe thyell bring it here soon
Jayem
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: IRS Hiace diff??? Mon, 27 December 2004 23:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's probably no surprise that Hiace leads the sales here too Very Happy .

Some interesting facts:

Engine is 2KD-FTV D4D diesel.
All the new Hiaces comes with LSD.
Automatic transmission is A340E.

More info
http://www.toyota.fi/showroom/hiace/tekniset.html
shovelnose
Regular

June 2003
Re: IRS Hiace diff??? Tue, 28 December 2004 02:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Is this a first? A Toyota that Australia gets but NZ misses out on? Laughing

Whilst I am not one to be terribly intersted in vans/people movers, I am sure that a V6 powered Hiace would be a better basis as a people mover than the FWD Tarago/Previa. Styling wise it look much better too, better styled (although a van) than most of Toyota's current whitegoods-like passenger cars.

Funny how Toyota in 2004 can fit IRS to a van but Ford Australia persists with leafs on the Falcon wagon.

I know that the Territory will take over from the wagon in the marketplace but even so....
Mr Revhead
Regular

October 2004
Re: IRS Hiace diff??? Tue, 28 December 2004 03:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
we do get that shape, as jdm imports only though.

a leaf spring live axle set up is actually better for commercial vehicles then irs. cheaper too.
TheStitt
Forums Junkie

Membership Secretary

June 2002

Re: IRS Hiace diff??? Tue, 28 December 2004 04:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'll have a look in a hiace like that tomorrow we have one at work
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: IRS Hiace diff??? Tue, 28 December 2004 11:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
could be an *A* series...identical size and interchangeable with G series centres....
shovelnose
Regular

June 2003
Re: IRS Hiace diff??? Wed, 29 December 2004 01:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

we do get that shape, as jdm imports only though.

Yes I know bit I meant as an official Toyota import, not grey market used.

Quote:

a leaf spring live axle set up is actually better for commercial vehicles then irs. cheaper too.
That is conventional wisdom, but a Hiace is going to carry much heavier loads than a Falcon wagon, and if Toyota's R&D showed that an IRS is suitable for the intended use, then it should be fine. It must have not cost that much more anyway, otherwise money hungry Toyota would not have bothered. Very Happy
Mr Revhead
Regular

October 2004
Re: IRS Hiace diff??? Wed, 29 December 2004 01:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ah oki gotcha

the irs model was actually first used in japan as a ppl mover, irs suits that better. they must have found it goes ok as a comercial as well, be interesting to see what courier drivers etc think of it.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: IRS Hiace diff??? Wed, 29 December 2004 01:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shovelnose wrote on Tue, 28 December 2004 10:15

Funny how Toyota in 2004 can fit IRS to a van but Ford Australia persists with leafs on the Falcon wagon.

Pick the one that can take the bigger load...
Mr Revhead
Regular

October 2004
Re: IRS Hiace diff??? Wed, 29 December 2004 01:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats prob more to do with size of the vehicle than the rear axle... you cant really compare a station wagon and a commercial van...
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: IRS Hiace diff??? Wed, 29 December 2004 01:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Take the comparison from when Holden went to IRS for its utes compared to the Falcon ones then. The Holdens got owned because they could only carry about half what the Falcon's could weight wise.

Leafs may be crude, but its a hell of a lot easier for them to make them take a big load.
shovelnose
Regular

June 2003
Re: IRS Hiace diff??? Wed, 29 December 2004 01:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maybe, but the Hiace IRS can take a 1200 kg payload. No station wagon - unless it is a Hummer wagon or some other monstrosity - can match that.
TheStitt
Forums Junkie

Membership Secretary

June 2002

Re: IRS Hiace diff??? Thu, 30 December 2004 05:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Had a look in the current model Hiace at work today.

Diff code was G52

Haven't had time to look up what the 52 is but at least we know it a g series. Also it is a live leaf srung rear end.

his is a commercial van the passenger vans my be coil spring
TheStitt
Forums Junkie

Membership Secretary

June 2002

Re: IRS Hiace diff??? Thu, 30 December 2004 06:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Also with my model of crown the load carrying wagon and ute had leaf springs where as the Custom (top of the line) and the sedans had coil spring

Coil springs for comfort leaf for weight
Jayem
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: IRS Hiace diff??? Thu, 30 December 2004 23:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
All the Hiaces sold here are IRS. Look the pic I posted, it's commercial and you can see the IRS setup there.

summary:
G series 8"(?)
Differential ratio is 1:3.909 except the automatic which is 1:4.100
LSD is standard fitting.
Width between shaft flanges is 270mm. Flange PCD is 4x83mm.

This applies to modells sold in Finland (might be valid in rest of the europe and world).
shovelnose
Regular

June 2003
Re: IRS Hiace diff??? Thu, 30 December 2004 23:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Also with my model of crown the load carrying wagon and ute had leaf springs where as the Custom (top of the line) and the sedans had coil spring

Just out of interest, does the owners manual of your car stipulate diferent carrying capacities for the leaf and coil versions of the wagon?

I assumed that the rear suspension difference between the base and custom wagon was mainly due to keeping the price down for the cheaper model.
TheStitt
Forums Junkie

Membership Secretary

June 2002

Re: IRS Hiace diff??? Fri, 31 December 2004 00:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
G series is 8 inch I've lost the link to the axle codes site to say what the 52 is

As for the crowns Dad and I have read in one of the manuals we have that there is a different load for the coil vs leaf spring set ups. It wasn't to keep costs down.

If you really want the figures I will dig it up.
Jayem
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: IRS Hiace diff??? Fri, 31 December 2004 00:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
G did stand for 8", for sure but is it still valid?
I mean, the transcode marking system, is it still the same?
shovelnose
Regular

June 2003
Re: IRS Hiace diff??? Fri, 31 December 2004 01:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

that there is a different load for the coil vs leaf spring set ups

If you really want the figures I will dig it up

If it is not too much trouble Smile I'm curious

My dad used to have 1968 Lite Ave wagon with rear coils. From memory the leaf spring van version could take about another 100 kg or so payload - but we are talking about nearly a ton here - so for the Crown wagons the difference in allowable load would be probably at least half that. But then any info you dig up could prove me wrong anyway. Very Happy

[Updated on: Fri, 31 December 2004 01:27]

Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: IRS Hiace diff??? Fri, 31 December 2004 01:42 Go to previous message
G52 is the transmission code (5-speed manual). The axle code should contain 3 digits, eg G295.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:TruTrac LSD in my AE86
Next Topic:GT4 gearbox ratio query--who is the resident expert?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 04:53:06 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0048539638519287 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.