Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

superglue misadventures Tue, 28 December 2004 13:06 Go to next message
ok, we've all had them, so share your story.

I bring this up, because I've just finished separating both my thumbs from a piece of interior trim I was gluing back together. somehow, they both got glued to the same piece of trim in different place, and much swearing and a few layers of skin later, I'm free.
  Send a private message to this user    
Spanktown
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: superglue misadventures Tue, 28 December 2004 13:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
once my dad was fixing a hole in a rubber dingy and he glued both his hands completely to the boat... talk about pain!
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: superglue misadventures Tue, 28 December 2004 13:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kid down the road glued his eyelid to his eyeball... oops.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: superglue misadventures Tue, 28 December 2004 13:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how in the hell did he manage that?
I've rubbed my eyes with the residue of that stuff on my fingers (from a previous misadventure), and it stings like all hell!
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: superglue misadventures Tue, 28 December 2004 13:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
his older brother thought it was funny... it must've hurt like hell!!! these kids wer 4/6 at the time Wink better than burning down the house i guess... Very Happy
Cya, Stewart
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: superglue misadventures Tue, 28 December 2004 14:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My 23 year old mate had one of those corneal transplant operations where they remove your fucked up cornea and replace it with a donor one... Well one day at uni he decided that he didn't need much glue from the superglue tube and used a pin to make a small hole in the side. As soon as he pricked the tube the glue squirted out and right into his eye. He was rushed to hospital and the doctors were really worried that his body was going to reject his new cornea. The result... He had to put imunosuppressant (spelling?) drops in his eye every hour for 2 weeks. Imagine having to wake up every 50 minutes during the night. He said that he'd rather lose the eye next time. Rolling Eyes
EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: superglue misadventures Tue, 28 December 2004 14:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ive glued my hand to my radio controlled car, seperated it, glued it back to a different part of the chassis, again to the shock tower, then the super glue tube to the desk... i didnt realise it was leaking :/

as for more... aryldyte and bostik epoxy's really do stick well, to clothing, hair, skin and bricks... dont ask :/
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: superglue misadventures Tue, 28 December 2004 15:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the neat thing about cyano-acrylates is that they polymerise when exposed to water (or alkali). things like eyeballs, tongues, and fingers all have lots water on their surface to make that reaction work fast Very Happy. is also why it takes longer to stick to solid surfaces like plastic or metal.... a bit of humidity does wonders Wink

oh and searching for superglue brings up this
Quote:

Most industrial or household grade\ cyanoacrylate is shorter alkyl chain derivatives such as methyl or ethyl cyanoacrylate. They offer both strong bonding and economical price. They are very useful for temporarily holding tissues such as mounting specimens for microtome sectioning. However, they are not suitable for bonding wounds on live animals.

ummmm
Confused
Quote:

The difficulties of using cyanoacrylate for bonding live animals are: (1) a strong irritating odor; (2) quick loss of bonding strength due to breakdown of the bonding by hydration; (3) the breakdown products, cyanoacetate and formaldehyde, are toxic and can cause inflammatory reactions; and (4) they have low flexibility and tend to be brittle.To overcome these problems, several longer alkyl chain cyanoacrylates have been developed specially for veterinary and human use. The first longer alkyl chain product is butyl cyanoacrylate. This product has been used for animal and human applications outside the USA since 1970. It is much less toxic and has a lower odor than the methyl or ethyl cyanoacrylate.

oookay then....

[Updated on: Tue, 28 December 2004 15:07]

EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: superglue misadventures Tue, 28 December 2004 15:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I can testify to that, i avoided stiching using that method, doctor glued the wound closed, couldnt do anything about the bone though, note to self: taking a hacksaw, on the cutting stroke, to the finger, is not a good way to start metal work in year 8 Smile

scars still visible as if i did it yesterday Smile

[Updated on: Tue, 28 December 2004 15:13]

jackel
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: superglue misadventures Tue, 28 December 2004 15:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i kinda super glued myself to are myself - american pie

Razz

i've superglued my hands together once when i was a kid, i didn't think superglue was that strong...oh i found out the hard way Confused
MFX_Neko_86
Forums Junkie

September 2004

Re: superglue misadventures Wed, 29 December 2004 06:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah ive stuck my fingers together with superglue before... ive even managed to get it on my tounge.. it didnt stick to the roof of my mouth or anything but it took aaages to get it off my tounge Confused doesnt taste like anything Cool
joyride
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

January 2003
Re: superglue misadventures Wed, 29 December 2004 06:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i almost cried like a girl when i glued my fingers together. the missus was trying her hardest to rip them apart without the aid of acetone or any other chemical. theres also a big gob of it on my bed sheet which somewhat resembles a 'stain' Rolling Eyes
MFX_Neko_86
Forums Junkie

September 2004

Re: superglue misadventures Wed, 29 December 2004 07:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You should have used acetone!
We have to use it to get fibreglass and gelcoat off our skin... pure acetone is just really cold and evaporates on your skin almost straight away....
EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: superglue misadventures Wed, 29 December 2004 17:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MFX_Neko_86 wrote on Wed, 29 December 2004 15:16

We have to use it to get fibreglass and gelcoat off our skin... pure acetone is just really cold and evaporates on your skin almost straight away....

the reason its cold is because it evaporates straight away Smile running pure acetone through a evaporative airconditioner would be a very cold way of gassing yourself Razz
Benjamin
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: superglue misadventures Thu, 30 December 2004 02:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I had a large bottle of the zap-a-gap glue you can get from hobbyshops (bloody good stuff) anyway the lid was stuck on really well and I was trying to twist it off. The bottle snapped of around the neck and covered my whole hand in superglue I had the bottle stuck to my hand and my hand was fixed in the one position. Half a bottle of acetone later the bottle was gone and I could bend my fingers again...

Also if you get some of the stuff which hardens superglue instantly (ie for plastics and metals which as stated above take longer for ca to bond to) spray a bit on your finger and drop a small bit of ca on it.

Burns like a mofo!!
Clown
Forums Junkie

September 2002

Re: superglue misadventures Thu, 30 December 2004 05:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
was paiting a warhamemr dwarf one day after gluing a bit of a static car togeather. After a while i decided to get up not realising that i had spilt a bit of glue where my arm/elbow was resting...... cursing resulted after that!
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: superglue misadventures Thu, 30 December 2004 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
not superglue but i managed to get araldite on the back of my hand without noticing , all while playing with after hours boredom mods on the GT4

That stuff burns like a MOFO! here i am thinking whats that smell then the sudden HEAT on my hand ! Left a nice welt for days
dimmy77_03
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: superglue misadventures Thu, 30 December 2004 11:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jackel wrote on Wed, 29 December 2004 02:34

i kinda super glued myself to are myself - american pie

Razz

Laughing that was the best part Laughing

i glued my thumb to my cheek in the garage, then had to walk home looking like a dickhead Razz
MFX_Neko_86
Forums Junkie

September 2004

Re: superglue misadventures Thu, 30 December 2004 12:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EldarO wrote on Thu, 30 December 2004 04:15

MFX_Neko_86 wrote on Wed, 29 December 2004 15:16

the reason its cold is because it evaporates straight away Smile running pure acetone through a evaporative airconditioner would be a very cold way of gassing yourself Razz

Lol, the first time i used acetone i poured some into a plastic container.. made of thin plastic it just burned a hole straight thru it and poured onto the floor....
Damn man, acetone smells bad enough when you cop a face full of fumes from that... bugger putting it thru an air con..!!!

Not a bad idea though... Cool Laughing I'll be sure to keep that in mind! Probably work the same as styrene fumes.... I wonder if styrene would get rid of superglue? Apart from the fact you arent allowed to get it on your skin and breathe it in and all Surprised
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: superglue misadventures Thu, 30 December 2004 22:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.big-boys.com/articles/prank1.html
joyride
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

January 2003
Re: superglue misadventures Fri, 31 December 2004 00:20 Go to previous message
gianttomato wrote on Fri, 31 December 2004 09:26

http://www.big-boys.com/articles/prank1.html

hahahahahahahaaha he looked pissed
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:HELP SOMEONE HHHEEELLLPPPP!
Next Topic:what did u all get for xmas
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri May 3 18:05:49 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0064661502838135 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.