Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Can you drive a 4AGE without a MAP sensor?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
pr1nce
Regular

April 2004
Can you drive a 4AGE without a MAP sensor? Tue, 28 December 2004 21:37 Go to next message
Can it be done safely??

[Updated on: Tue, 28 December 2004 21:38]

Send a private message to this user    
drift86levin
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: Can you drive a 4AGE without a MAP sensor? Wed, 29 December 2004 01:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
short answer : NO

long answer : NO you can't

it's like tring to drive a car without an airflow meter..how does the ECU know how much fuel/air etc is comeing in/supposed to be etc..
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Can you drive a 4AGE without a MAP sensor? Wed, 29 December 2004 01:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
drift86levin wrote on Wed, 29 December 2004 12:02

short answer : NO

long answer : NO you can't

it's like tring to drive a car without an airflow meter..how does the ECU know how much fuel/air etc is comeing in/supposed to be etc..

I would assume that the designers would have programmed the ECU to majorly enrich the fuel to avoid leaning out the engine.
I would also think that the RPM and TPS would play a fairly big role in determining fuel meterage too.

I wouldn't drive unless absolutely necessary but I don't believe that a straight out "No" is the technically correct answer.
drift86levin
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: Can you drive a 4AGE without a MAP sensor? Wed, 29 December 2004 01:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
true, but it would be like driving on 3 wheels..you just wouldn't do it..if it's just a 4AGE, it would be a 5v Map wouldn't it? go to the wreckers and flog one! free! anyone have a part number of a 4AGE one? cos i have a handfull of 3SGE, 4AFE, ones..they all seem to be 5v ones..so i'll look at the part number tonight..
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Can you drive a 4AGE without a MAP sensor? Wed, 29 December 2004 02:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Actually I'm pretty sure they aren't the same, however, Witzl and I have a 4AGE 100kW MAP sensor that we would be willing to trade for a 4AGZE MAP sensor or cash.

We originally thought we'd use the Gen 3 3SGTE map sensor but unfortunately they are different (2.5bar not 2 bar?)
Hunty
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Can you drive a 4AGE without a MAP sensor? Wed, 29 December 2004 02:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the engine wont run if the map sensor is not hooked up

try it i dare ya Razz
pr1nce
Regular

April 2004
Re: Can you drive a 4AGE without a MAP sensor? Wed, 29 December 2004 02:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok good
because i'm holding out on driving it because i don't have a map sensor or oxy sensor yet

it didn't like to rev though
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Can you drive a 4AGE without a MAP sensor? Wed, 29 December 2004 02:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
all toyota MAP sensors have different part numbers, and some people have tested what works with what. Apparently not all 2.0bar Toyota map sensors are the same?

As fro driving without a MAP sensor.... i dont like it. BAD BAD BAD idea. If you want to be very temporarily dodgy then go for a 4afe or similar map sensor if you absolutely must - but by the same level of effort you can get yourself a 4age one.

IN FACT - i have 2 spare. $40 and you can have one posted out to you.
pr1nce
Regular

April 2004
Re: Can you drive a 4AGE without a MAP sensor? Wed, 29 December 2004 02:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
is it for the 86kw 4AGE?
pr1nce
Regular

April 2004
Re: Can you drive a 4AGE without a MAP sensor? Wed, 29 December 2004 03:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hunty wrote on Wed, 29 December 2004 13:44

the engine wont run if the map sensor is not hooked up

try it i dare ya Razz

the car is already running though... sideshow wired it up
Soarer
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Can you drive a 4AGE without a MAP sensor? Wed, 29 December 2004 03:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Weird... a lot of cars won't even start with the MAP sensor disconnected.
towe_001
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: Can you drive a 4AGE without a MAP sensor? Wed, 29 December 2004 05:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
True if the wires aren't connected but how about if the wires are connected? A MAP sensor uses 3 wires right? A power wire(+v5), a ground wire and the sensor wire. A MAP sensor work on the same principle as a potentiometer or a variable resistor, yes? So how about placing a variable resistor (would have to do fiddling around to get the right value) between the power wire and sensor wire wouldn't that do the same thing as a MAP sensor? Well in theory anyways.
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Can you drive a 4AGE without a MAP sensor? Wed, 29 December 2004 06:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no its a 100kW (smallport) 4age MAP sensor.

how the heck did you manage to NOT have a map sensor??????
its like having a plane with no wings.
pr1nce
Regular

April 2004
Re: Can you drive a 4AGE without a MAP sensor? Wed, 29 December 2004 06:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i don't know,
SEXY 16 basically gave me the whole JDM ae86 loom and that was that
bmak
Regular

May 2002

Re: Can you drive a 4AGE without a MAP sensor? Thu, 30 December 2004 05:30 Go to previous message
It wont drive without a map sensor hooked up.

Without a throttle sensor or oxy sensor you can drive fine though.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Wheel stud problem!!!!
Next Topic:Fitting a set of Twin 40 DCOEs onto a stock 2TB
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 14 07:07:50 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0055019855499268 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.