Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Fuel Usage...

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Willow
Occasional Poster

March 2003
Fuel Usage... Mon, 27 December 2004 23:20 Go to next message
hey y'all

I don't know if there is a problem, but i just wanna hear opinions. I think that i am using way to much fuel for some reason. i have a 1987 4age. I drive mostly on highway to and from work 5 days a week. I did a sort of test. I filled up the car, and drove it like normal and i got just over 350km before the fuel warning light came on. Is there a problem??? The car is totally stock.

Mick.
  Send a private message to this user    
bathurst-91
Forums Junkie

April 2004

Re: Fuel Usage... Mon, 27 December 2004 23:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ahh, thats pretty good economy. Im not sure of an '87 hatch rolla's (im assuming) tank capacity but Im fairly sure its no 50litre tank. Up your tyre pressures a tad, it will help minutely. Also the fuel light coming on in most cars means you have a fair good few km's left.

Edit; you dont have any problems with it do you? gaskets? leaking exhaust?

[Updated on: Mon, 27 December 2004 23:32]

mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Fuel Usage... Tue, 28 December 2004 07:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Keep an eye on it over a number of fills - write down KMs and litres.
Teddy_Csx
Regular

On Probation

January 2004
Re: Fuel Usage... Tue, 28 December 2004 09:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you have not tried, do a comparasion. Use the normal 91/92 octaine BP fuel, drive on it like you normally do, drive it untill the light comes on, then try the same on a tank of BP ultmo (98 octain).

I know this may spark a debait, but in my opinion/expirence, and after talking to lots of people.. Shell fuel is crapp. BP all the way, esp the 98, it makes all the difference.

Also, if you are feeling upto it, add a good dose of octain booster along with the BP ultmate - it cleans out the system a lil, and bumps the octain into the low 100's Smile Nice lil power boost too Cool

$0.02

[Updated on: Tue, 28 December 2004 09:13]

oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Fuel Usage... Tue, 28 December 2004 09:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i find both BP ultimate and Mobil 8000 work just as well, but shell optimax goes 'off' too quickly.

most octane boosters are not very good. i very much doubt you would notice the difference between 98 and 100 octane petrol in a totally stock car.

just do what Mr Shin said Wink
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Fuel Usage... Tue, 28 December 2004 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
in my opinion i recon you do an injector clean which is bout $120 for all 4 and completely empty the tank to get all the crap thats built up in their over time and then with the petrol thats taken out put it back in using a filter and then do a full refill to the top on ULTIMATE or 8000

then do what Mr Shin said after that... i recon if your gonna try and find bad fuel economy issues then do it right from the beginning with a completely clean system... oh yeah and also change the fuel filter while your at it... actually FUCK IT give the car a service (mainly plugs, air flter and fuel filter)... yeah i know it will end up settings you back bout $200 all up but if your gonna do it then do it right

EDIT: maybe a bad comparison but my 1988 ford laser 1.8lt carby does 400km/30-35ltrs Very Happy I LOVE IT and i use either ULTIMATE or 8000

[Updated on: Tue, 28 December 2004 09:29]

Hunty
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Fuel Usage... Wed, 29 December 2004 02:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my 1986 rolla with 1991 100kw 4age gets 450-500k's out of 40 litres with not so grandpa like driving style. I always use Bp ultimate with it.

350ks/tank sounds pretty shitty. Cant beleive no one has mentioned to check your O2 sensor in your exhaust, mine err fell out of the exhaust, and fuel economy went to crap less than 300ks/tank.

should be able to pick up a O2 sensor from a wreckers for less than $20 all toyota single wire ones should do, just make sure it has a similar size and the same size flange, the one i got now is from a SV21? Camry and thats workin a treat.

Failing that yeh change your fuel filter check your plugs, check your injectors/get them ultrasonically cleaned ect. Check your timing.

good luck
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Fuel Usage... Wed, 29 December 2004 04:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah - In mine I used to get atleast 400kms. And that would only be a 32-35L fillup.

Is it at normal operating temp most of the time (i.e in middle)..gfs car needed new thermostat, would run on Cold on highway, therefore running rich. Pulled thermo out - was stuck open

check O2 sensor also

[Updated on: Wed, 29 December 2004 04:03]

dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Fuel Usage... Wed, 29 December 2004 05:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah 350Km of a full tank is crap for a 4age. You need to have it looked at. Good advice on here so far.

By the way, my friends ST162 celica was getting about 300-350km's off a full tank. That was until i worked my magic on it Cool, Air Flow Meter was cactus, the o2 sensor was dead, the air filter was chock full of bugs, the thermostat was stuck open and stuck in cold mode (like the poster above) and finally the timing was out 5 degrees.

Now after all that was replaced/tuned, get this he got 780Km of a full tank! driving like a nanny of course. Averages 600-700km off a full tank driving normally. I was impressed to say the least.
Cyber-punk
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Fuel Usage... Wed, 29 December 2004 09:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oldcorollas wrote on Tue, 28 December 2004 19:17

i find both BP ultimate and Mobil 8000 work just as well, but shell optimax goes 'off' too quickly.

most octane boosters are not very good. i very much doubt you would notice the difference between 98 and 100 octane petrol in a totally stock car.

just do what Mr Shin said Wink

i've learnt some interesting facts about fuel lately from people who work in the fuel industry(not servo attendants...)
apparently each state has one type of base fuel(each of the companies trade for it with fuel of their own in other states as a giant tax dodge...eg if bp has the base shit in vic they might trade with it for shell's stuff in NSW and mobils stuff in Qld)
the only difference in fuels is the additives that each company adds in.
shell optimax has some sort of solvents as a part of their mix(try leave it sitting in your car for a month and then check your fuel lines Wink )
also try covering your hand in it, leaves a nice white powdery film behind, where as the other premiums dont

anyways, not sure if its fact or not. just what i've heard from several different people over the past year.

[Updated on: Wed, 29 December 2004 09:32]

IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: Fuel Usage... Wed, 29 December 2004 10:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you think youve got bad fuel economy?

dude when you get down to 200kms per 30L then start worrying Smile .. and thats when im being nice to her!
FKN16V
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: Fuel Usage... Thu, 30 December 2004 10:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JDM 4AGE in a AE86, i get 550kms for me 40ltrs of bp ultimate, i dont drive hard all the time but i do a fair amount of stopping and going each day,

I must be one of the lucky ones.

Check you manual for fuel tank capacity and dont be shy if the light seems to come on a little early then you think.More then likely the angle of the car at the time.

Go by the fuel guage, if its dead on Empty and it takes 40ltrs to fill a 50ltr tank, then you know you got another 10ltrs when the needle hits empty, which would equate to another 80-100kms before you run out.

Easy really, thats how i do it

Cheers

Steve
granmra40
Occasional Poster

August 2004
Re: Fuel Usage... Sat, 01 January 2005 00:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I just suggest getting more accurate, I mean fill the car right up then run it for (X)00kms and then refill it taking note of the litres, do the maths. If confirmed bad consumption then try the more obvious thing first.
lilcrash
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Fuel Usage... Sat, 01 January 2005 20:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i would kill to be able to get 350 km out of a tank. i get 200km out of a 50 litre tank.

thats my 2 cents

laterdays
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Fuel Usage... Sun, 02 January 2005 07:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmmm... my well-tired 4AG crapbox has been getting up to 15km/l lately, so they can certainly be kind on fuel when everything's working right...

200km from 50 litres? That's up in modded 351 territory Very Happy
lilcrash
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Fuel Usage... Sun, 02 January 2005 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its a factory 1.8 with twin cv's Sad Sad

[Updated on: Sun, 02 January 2005 10:15]

Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Fuel Usage... Sun, 02 January 2005 11:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
make sure none of your vacuum hoses are cracked... my PCV hose has recently split and my economy has gone to shit as some of the metered air is escaping.

Unfortunately in my case Toyota have decided to discontinue that pipe so I have to dump the coolant in my W/A IC to "test" if any of the random hoses I've got laying around will fit.
Fujiwara_ToFu
Regular

March 2004

Re: Fuel Usage... Sun, 02 January 2005 13:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Awesome advice guys.

I start to question some of my components such as o2 sensors and timing because my km's on my 4age is just shithouse.

i got about 270 km's on a full tank of 30 bucks.
My fuel meter falls to half after pumping full when i drive about 2km's.

Does this also happen to anyone else?

-Jay
DTrain
Regular

September 2003
Re: Fuel Usage... Sun, 02 January 2005 15:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i get 500-530 on a full tank of ultimate and thats even before the light comes on (matter of fact ive never seen the light come on) and thats givin it a poke every now and again cause she loves it Wink
Phrostbyte
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

April 2004
Re: Fuel Usage... Mon, 03 January 2005 18:08 Go to previous message
I can vouch for air filter effecting economy. When I first got my car I could get around 450km out of a tank of 40L standard 91o fuel. now im down to about 300... keep in mind i now THRASH THE FUCK outta my 4kc, but beside the point, my air filter is extremely dirty after chopping holes all around the intake and going on dirt roads (cbf spending money to change it, 1.5 months till 4AGE).

Basically the air filter being dirty means that your engine isnt getting enough air to mix with the fuel, therefore your engine is running lean, therefore the combustion isnt as powerful, therefore you lose power, therefore you step on the accelerator more to pump more fuel into the engine, for the little power you can get out of more fuel...

Change the air filter and I give you 2 to 1 odds of your fuel economy going back to normal.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:82.0mm head gasket on 81.5mm bore?
Next Topic:4k-eu wiring loom diagram
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 8 19:52:43 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0070919990539551 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.