Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
3S-GE_Man
Regular

January 2003
4piston brakes for a st162 Mon, 27 December 2004 14:43 Go to next message
yeah a part from the st205 ones that might bolts up... what 4 psiton brakes and rotor combo would people sugest for a st162..i was thinking wrx ones cause the rotor is 5x100 stud like the st162 celica

But i was thinkign hilux 4 piston calipers would be easier to get my hands on!

Nezza Cool
  Send a private message to this user    
Eagz
Occasional Poster

December 2004
Re: 4piston brakes for a st162 Mon, 27 December 2004 14:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i suppose would be good. are you looking at the standard Wrx brakes or the additional Brembo version ? I think they speak for themselves

hehe but yer any would be nice, a mates dad has a WRX done up a lil c-west kits has nice 6 piston brake calipers
3S-GE_Man
Regular

January 2003
Re: 4piston brakes for a st162 Wed, 29 December 2004 12:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
not the sti brembo ones...but the normal 'subaru' 4 pistons ones...would grind the subaru lable of them when i do, lol!

Nezza Cool
wagonist
Forums Junkie

Toymods Club Treasurer

May 2002
Re: 4piston brakes for a st162 Thu, 30 December 2004 22:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Follow the link in my sig to see what's needed for an ST205 upgrade.
Good luck finding them though.

JustenGT4 has STi discs & Brembo calipers on his uber V8TT ST185, so I'm not sure how they work (but he has fully modded the steering knuckles for that car)
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: 4piston brakes for a st162 Thu, 30 December 2004 22:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
But really why would you bother?

Unless you have big track intentions I wouldn't bother personally.

I believe it's a quite a hassle and expensive.

Just my thoughts anyway! Smile
wagonist
Forums Junkie

Toymods Club Treasurer

May 2002
Re: 4piston brakes for a st162 Thu, 30 December 2004 23:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I believe you need to come for a ride sometime Rob!
Hell, mine are fitted to a turbo diesel!!!

A lot cheaper upgrade is the Jap spec twin piston ST165/ST185.
Bolts on, has a bigger pad contact area, & a lot easier to find.

If I was palnning on doing a 3S-GTE or 1MZ-FE swap later, I'd be thinking about this.
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: 4piston brakes for a st162 Thu, 30 December 2004 23:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I believe I do! Wink

yeah but for a Gen1 3SGE my thoughts would be go the 165/185 brakes.

A 20 minute bolt-on job that's so easy that it's... uh.. really easy! Neutral

edit: however for searches and posterity, I am pretty clueless as to what 4-piston brakes go on a 162 well. I know RX-7 calipers are a popular upgrade also. You need a custom mounting plate made up for them though, and of course new rotors.

[Updated on: Thu, 30 December 2004 23:06]

bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: 4piston brakes for a st162 Fri, 31 December 2004 01:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wagonist wrote on Fri, 31 December 2004 09:33

JustenGT4 has STi discs & Brembo calipers on his uber V8TT ST185, so I'm not sure how they work (but he has fully modded the steering knuckles for that car)

You are correct on the discs (WRX STi jobbies - same as I used), but the Calipers are Z32 300ZX (or maybe R33 Skyline ones)
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: 4piston brakes for a st162 Fri, 31 December 2004 02:25 Go to previous message
Having more pistons per caliper doesn't really do much for overall stopping power. In terms of sustained use of brakes then you might want to get a larger caliper w/- more pistons, but seriously when was the last time you did 20 straight laps of a circuit going 10/10ths?

If you are worried about your car hauling up, then get rid of weight, and get a bigger front footprint while braking (suspension anyone?)

Aside from that, the best advice I can give you is the advice Possum Bourne dished out - that is make sure that your brakes are mounted BLOODY well regardless of what you get, if you decide to get RX-7/R33/300ZX/WRX calipers and use a custom plate to mount them then make sure you get someone with a good rep to do it.

Oh and Hilux calipers are pretty hefty beasts, you'd be adding alot of unsprung weight to the fronts!!!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:wiring a st205 engine into a 185..
Next Topic:hilux diff ----> celica question
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 16 03:19:21 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0043210983276367 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.