Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
andrew_mx83
Regular

November 2004
Running in a new motor Fri, 31 December 2004 12:40 Go to next message
Hi all
Just about to finish building the new donk for my mx83 but it seems everyone i ask has a different view on the best way to run it in for those first thousand or so k's.
whats the general view around here??
especially - lots of load/no load
let it idle/dont
max revs?
engine breaking
highway driving/city driving better

nb i have fairly tight clearances all round and dont want to bugger the thing up its just cost me a big wad of cash

so come on guys what r ur opinions??

also i am planning to run the standard exhaust manifold and probably airbox until it is run in and do the cold air intake extractors adn exhaust after a couple of thousand k's....is this the best way

thanks in advance

andrew
  Send a private message to this user    
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Running in a new motor Fri, 31 December 2004 23:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
everyone will have different views because everyone does it differently.. I myself and a couple of mates have built engines before and we never have run them in...we just chucked oil in them and started thrashing them...and those engines are still going fine now...
mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Running in a new motor Sat, 01 January 2005 00:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
people100 wrote on Sat, 01 January 2005 10:30

everyone will have different views because everyone does it differently.. I myself and a couple of mates have built engines before and we never have run them in...we just chucked oil in them and started thrashing them...and those engines are still going fine now...

I have seen the same thing from rebuilt motors myself, some last forever while being thrashed, others just seem too die in the arse, I personally think how it is built (who's done it etc). you should follow a run in if you wan't the motor too last you a long time

.Don't to a trailer for the first 800km

.Never drive at one speed for a long time, either fast or slow

.keep revs while driving in between 2000rpm and 4000rpm for the first 1000km

.Advoid overreving the motor by changeing back gears

. driving on a highway would be good but take it easy and keep an eye on your temperature gauge (remember motor is still tight)

this is what I beleve, if you want it too last,don't overrev motor as this will cause excessive wear and a very poor fuel ecconomy, and don't drive at an engine speed so low that the car labourers, this will risk pinging.

N.B always service the motor if you look after it, it will last you a long time.

As for the mods you wanna do you could get away with that now if you wanted too, Although I'd wait for the motor to run in (around 5000km) and see what it is capabale of first before deciding too do any form of modification

mr2drift
Regular

October 2003
Re: Running in a new motor Sat, 01 January 2005 00:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i've just taken delivery of my freshly rebuilt 4a for my car, and the instructions were fairly simple. its a balance, as to run in new cams its recommended to run the engine at idle for at least an hour, but that then causes glazing on the bores because of the new rings and not a lot of oil ect, so the advice i was given was simply a few hundred km of driving using various conditions, but limit the revs. hehe as my engine is built to rev out to more than 8000 rpm, it was suggested to limit run in revs to 5500-6000 rpm. Very Happy it was stressed to me NOT to let the motor sit at idle for any long periods( over a minute or so) as this would lead to glazing in the bores. other than that he said to do as many full load pulls as possible in third gear, and after 4-500 km, do what i liked with it!
ChuckLandwehr
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Running in a new motor Sat, 01 January 2005 05:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Andrew, the most important aspects of running in an engine, are:

Continualy vary the rpm, and dont ever labour the engine.(too high a gear for the road speed) Shocked

Your run in period should be: 1st 500K's as above, then change oil and filter. Next 1000 K's drive a little more aggressively, with the occasional excursion towards red line.,then change oil and filter again. Then drive in your usual law abiding manner. Cool

regards Chuck.
jesseT18
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: Running in a new motor Sat, 01 January 2005 05:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i asked the same question about 6 months ago when i was running my engine in

-try not to let it idle any longer than you have to
-start with crap oil, and each 1000km's or so upgrade to a better grade of oil, with a new filter too of course
-vary rpm as much as you can, but not too high to start with
-dont be afraid to step on the pedal between 3k-5k
-WATCH THE TEMP, its a tight engine, if those pistons get too hot and expand too much, it wont be good!
-take hills in the highest gear you can without labouring it (eg: load it up) although i think i got told labouring is actually good for running in, i tried not to do it too much, just feels wrong!

[Updated on: Sat, 01 January 2005 05:32]

mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Running in a new motor Sat, 01 January 2005 09:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There's no real reason not to do the exhaust etc. now and be done with it. Do what's been already said here with oil, no idling, etc. and don't be too kind to it, especially after the first few hundred KM.
jeffro RA28
Regular

August 2004
Re: Running in a new motor Sat, 01 January 2005 10:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
g'day
At idle there is insufficient oil-throw off to lubricate the pistons, rings and camshaft lobes when the oil is cold and prolonged idling should therefore be avoided.
In the initial driving period u should accelerate the car several times from 60 to 80 kmph in top gear at full thorttle(automatics in 2nd at lower speed). this will provide sufficient gas loading to build up pressure behind the top rings to ensure gas tight sealing against the cylinder walls.
Prolonged high speeds and low speed lugging should be avoided.
To much of running constant speeds is bad for bedding-in.

BAsically vary the speed and revs all the time, do not push it to hard or to soft.

cheers

brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: Running in a new motor Sat, 01 January 2005 10:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ive just finished rebuildin my 18rgu and im in the process of doin the same but this is what u should do.

1. vary RPM's, not to high in the beginning and dont let it idle for to long.

2. for the first run, buy supermarket oil and a new oil filter and use that for the first 15m - 20minutes of running. then change it and the oil filter, use it for about 3 hours adn then buy your fully-synthetic high quality oil and oil filter and leave that on for good

3. in my celica repair manual, it says for running in a motor;
Quote:

drive the vehicle to a area with minimum traffic and nail it from 30mph to 50mph, then allow it to slow to 30mph again. repeat the the process 10 - 12 times.
it also says by doing this,
Quote:

this will load the piston rings and cause them to seat properly against the cylider walls

it also says,
Quote:

after 2000 miles, change the oil and filter and consider the engine fully broken in

and fully sik Razz to nail it Evil or Very Mad

hope it helps anyway

brett
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Running in a new motor Sun, 02 January 2005 00:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jeffro RA28 wrote on Sat, 01 January 2005 21:28

this will provide sufficient gas loading to build up pressure behind the top rings to ensure gas tight sealing against the cylinder walls.

thats the crux of it.
remember that NONE of your bearings should EVER have metal to metal contact. althought there may be some highspots ont he bearing surfaces, if they do touch, then the motor is too tight (imo). running in is to knock off the highpoints of the bore walls so you have a good mixture of valleys and flats.. valleys to hold oil and flats to seal to the ring (via the oil film provided by the valleys).

good luck Smile
Cya, Stewart
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Running in a new motor Sun, 02 January 2005 01:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
do a search - lots of info
Kyosho
Regular

November 2004
Re: Running in a new motor Sun, 02 January 2005 10:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Heres a piece of advice...

Goto Jay Car, buy a couple of rare earth magnets (Watch the fingers, they DO bite)
Stick one on the oil filter, when you change the filter, throw the magnet away as well (You'll never get it off easily) and have a look inside the filter at the amount of metal that the magnet has caught...

I read an article on breaking in engines, and if you want the rings seated properly (To avoid oil leaks through the rings) Run the thing hard for the first 20KMs (Hard revs)
If you want an engine that can pull in low revs, once you have around 200KM on the clock, labour it in high gears... Makes the engine work harder... Been advised to do this with performance petrol engines, AND diesels...

I myself would be giving it plenty of revs, but not 100% of the time

As said before, keep an eye on the temp...
andrew_mx83
Regular

November 2004
Re: Running in a new motor Fri, 07 January 2005 02:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
k thanks for the advice guys sorry i didnt reply earlier i havent had regular access to the net as i jsut moved.

1 further question.....should i retard the timing a little for the run-in period??
wat is good timing to run on this motor after its run in, using premium unleaded, considering my comp is supposedly a tad over 10.5:1???

thanks andrew
drift86levin
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: Running in a new motor Fri, 07 January 2005 02:41 Go to previous message
basically drive the thing like any normal person would!!

would it be different for a forced induction motor? ie 4AGZE...or should i try not to flatten it at 2000rpm in 2nd and fill the bores with 8psi ???
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:1JZ PCV Valve Diff
Next Topic:MA61 coilovers: installed!
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 7 17:41:21 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0067031383514404 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.