Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 3S-FE Engine Options...

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Blah_00
Regular

December 2004
3S-FE Engine Options... Sat, 01 January 2005 08:11 Go to next message
Hi, I'm just wondering about options for a 3S-FE...I've been looking through the pass threads so I don't piss anyone off for asking the same questions...Smiley = but I'm just wondering...is the only possibility for a 1991 Celica an MR2 3S-GE? is there a lot to change to get that into the ST184? and yes...I've got a 3S-FE in the ST184...about how much would that cost? like...if I'm going to get everything done in a workshop...? can I just get a halfcut or something...? or...yeah...? What other options would there be for a 3S-GE?

And I was just wondering as well...someone asked but I don't think I saw a reply...if the camry v6 engine got put in the widebody camrys...can they fit into a ST184? Is that a stupid idea? what's the engine code for that engine? coz I've heard it's an okay engine...the 3.0 V6?

And just one more thing...? Do crap posts...or stupid posts...or just posts in general get deleted from here? Coz I had a post about the differences between 3SFEs and 3SGEs that I wanted to read again...but it went missing...? I dunno...and thanks guys.
-rob! <><
  Send a private message to this user    
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: 3S-FE Engine Options... Sat, 01 January 2005 09:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
3S-GTE?

Add some turbo power...
Blah_00
Regular

December 2004
Re: 3S-FE Engine Options... Sat, 01 January 2005 10:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmm...I dunno...that's sorta why I was asking...coz I have read that it's a lot more worth it to just go for the 3S-GTE...but I sorta like NA for some reason...Smiley = other than insurance costs and all...like...but then I read a post where some guy was saying how people can get sorta cheap 3S-GEs coz a lot of MR2 owners swap theirs for 3S-GTEs...? but yeah...I'd just like to find out roughly pricing and stuff...and about the v6 question...Smiley =
towe_001
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: 3S-FE Engine Options... Sat, 01 January 2005 13:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Isn't the celica based on the camry or is it the other way around? So since '91 camry had the v6 it'd mean the v6 into the celica would fit, yes? Personnely i couldn't see why if shouldn't fit. The v6 was also in the model before the widebody camry, the sv20 i think it was.
But then theres also the 5s-fe. 2.4 litres of grunt. Maybe even transplant the 5s crank into the 3s block. Bore the block out, extractors, air cleaner and head work.
wizzfizz2097
Regular

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: 3S-FE Engine Options... Sat, 01 January 2005 14:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sigh...

don't you guys read the tech articles about Toyota engine codes?

3S-FE: economical head, 2.0L Twin Cam EFi

3S-GE: sportier head, same 2.0L Twin Cam EFi

there would be other things like electronic timing differences no doubt, but essentially it's still the same block no?

and as always, your options for modifcations are limited by money. Take for example my 3S-FE in my Camry: little things like exhaust, air intake and good oil can really free things up and get you closer to the 100hp that the Toyota white papers say.
mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: 3S-FE Engine Options... Sat, 01 January 2005 14:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The V6 in the 88 to 92 Camrys is a 2.5L while the one in the wide body was a 3L, Camrys share similar 4 cylinder motors with the Celica (3S-FE and 5S-FE). Not sure about fitting the V6 (both motors are good) in the Celica thou. best to stick with a four cylinder motor if you ask me. Smile
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: 3S-FE Engine Options... Sat, 01 January 2005 15:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
V6 into st182/3/4 has been done in America. It goes along the same lines as the V6->MR2 thing: 2 or 3 custom engine mounts, custom/interchangeable piping and wiring (splicing the V6 ECU into the Celica loom), etc. etc. I think the 3L Camry V6 is all alloy, so will only weigh slightly more than a turbo'd Cast Iron 4-cyl. Can't remember where I saw it. Google the hell out of Celica and V6 i s'pose.

I think I'm just gunna sell my sillycar and get something with potential. I'm thinking M-spec R33 GTS-T Skyline, with the Active electronic rear Diff. 185kw at the fly isn't a bad starting point . . .
Blah_00
Regular

December 2004
Re: 3S-FE Engine Options... Sun, 02 January 2005 02:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Okay, yeah...that was what I wanted to know...how good the V6s were and all that...so cool...thanks...sounds difficult so I probably won't think about it anyway...I was just wondering...Smiley =

and wit the 3S-GE...do any of you know how much it would cost me to get a Gen 2 or 3 3S-GE into the ST184? Like...would I need new mounts? gearbox? can I use my current one? or would I have to mod the box on the 3SGE? is there any complications because the MR2 is a read wheel drive? what would be the price difference in getting one of these in as opposed to the 3SGTE? Assuming I have to get a workshop to do it for me? Thanks.
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: 3S-FE Engine Options... Sun, 02 January 2005 02:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If gettng a shop then forget it. Buy another car that is quicker stock. GT4s can be had for just over 10k or other cars such as silvias, skylines,180sx etc for around that or a little more.
Blah_00
Regular

December 2004
Re: 3S-FE Engine Options... Sun, 02 January 2005 08:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was thinking that...but I it's mainly just coz selling the car and buying another one creates a lot of hassle and all...and I don't really want that...plus like I've said, I don't really want to go with a turbo or anything...so yeah...that's why i'm asking...if it was easy and I could get the price I wanted...for sure...I'd just sell it and get a new one...but I'm thinking it's not gonna be that easy...that's why I'm just wondering if I CAN or should bother with an engine transplant? Like...so can someone jus give me a rough ballpark figure of how much a Generation 2 or 3 3S-GE engine would cost to fit in? Thanks.
Blah_00
Regular

December 2004
Re: 3S-FE Engine Options... Sun, 02 January 2005 09:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'll give you an example...like...I saw a mr-2 read cut...with the 5 speed gearbox...for about $1300...would I need heaps to get that engine in my car? like...yeah...I dunno...is that a normal price? I guess that's the sort of stuff that I want to know...thanks.
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: 3S-FE Engine Options... Sun, 02 January 2005 12:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Seems like a fair price - engine & ECU loom complete?

I think it's just engine mounts and driveshafts that need changing.

V6 into MR2 : http://www.mr2mk1club.com/V6MR2.html

Alot of the same stuff applies, not sure about difference between MR2 and Celica mounting. There's a fair bit of info you can pick up just by reading through that's relevant - i.e. which toyota stuff is interchangeable.

[Updated on: Sun, 02 January 2005 12:38]

RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 3S-FE Engine Options... Sun, 02 January 2005 14:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
3S-FE... now you're talking 1st gen RAV4 material (1994-2000). Speaking of which, since they use the same engine, what about sourcing a 3S-GE BEAMS red-top 200ps engine from somewhere like NZ? RAV4's came out with these engines as a factory option while we got lobbed with the same sad-sack engine and a variant called the MAX edition (bodykit of sorts...) Rolling Eyes

Anyway, this would be a much more viable option and from what I've seen the ECU and loom shouldn't be that hard to interchange. These engines can give turbo's a run for the money if they're tuned right. Nod
towe_001
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: 3S-FE Engine Options... Mon, 03 January 2005 23:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
st184 sillycar wrote on Sun, 02 January 2005 23:09

V6 into MR2 : http://www.mr2mk1club.com/V6MR2.html

Alot of the same stuff applies, not sure about difference between MR2 and Celica mounting. There's a fair bit of info you can pick up just by reading through that's relevant - i.e. which toyota stuff is interchangeable.

Quote:

To quote a line from "Jaws"..."we're gonna need a bigger boat!"

Laughing
But it does get me thinking Evil or Very Mad

[Updated on: Mon, 03 January 2005 23:13]

Blah_00
Regular

December 2004
Re: 3S-FE Engine Options... Tue, 11 January 2005 03:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey! sorry to bring this up again...but I thought this could fit in here too...but...about 3S-FEs now...how much power usually can you get out of these? I don't want any huge power figures or anything...and because the motor is pretty new, I thought I might as well keep it in and change the engine later on...but like...what can I get out of it with like...extractors, exhaust, cams, air intake and stuff like that? Is there any other ways of getting power out of these?

and just another question...would there be any way of increasing the compression ratio and would it be of any benefit? Thanks.
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: 3S-FE Engine Options... Tue, 11 January 2005 04:29 Go to previous message
my 2c would be "3SFE = don't bother"

better off saving your pennies for more rewarding pursuits

that said, I *think* an exhaust for a 3SFE will go onto a 3SGE anyway, so you might be able to buy now and re-use later

but cams and stuff on a 3sfe.nah
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:1JZ / JZA70 Engine Mounts.
Next Topic:undercoating
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 1 14:29:51 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.033030986785889 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.