Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » The Outhouse » How thorough are customs?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
How thorough are customs? Sat, 01 January 2005 11:46 Go to next message
I was looking on eBay the other day and found a few things from overseas sellers that are not allowed in Australia. ie: BB Guns etc.

I don't want to get Toymods in trouble so please don't post anything incriminating or anything that appears to endorse illegal activities.

Anyway, my questions are, if someone were to buy something like a BB Gun or a Switchblade from the US (on eBay) what happens when it goes through customs?
Do they x-ray check everything?
Do they sieze stuff or send it back to the sender?
Will they tell the intended recipient that their parcel has been siezed?
If it is something illegal, like the knife or BB Gun, would the intended recipient get in trouble? <- This is the one I am most interested in.

I have never bought anything from overseas and after watching that show "Border Patrol" I was a little curious about these things.
  Send a private message to this user    
Tommo
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: How thorough are customs? Sat, 01 January 2005 12:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hahaha i laughed so hard at the title of this thread, its very suss.

Say if a person was to bring over a certain amount of kilo's of blow, would it be easy to get passed customs? could this person just slap on some chalk powder labels and chuck it in a bag of rock climbing gear? are customs easily fooled?
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: How thorough are customs? Sat, 01 January 2005 12:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have had Air pistols sent from the states in the past, but that was before the terrorist thing.
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: How thorough are customs? Sat, 01 January 2005 12:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
In regards to the thread title, I wanted people to read the thread but I also didn't want to be misleading... I am keeping things vague to avoid getting people in trouble. Wink

I don't know how much the whole terrorist thing has affected postage items... I know its changed the way people and luggage are searched when they travel but in regards to posting stuff...?
rthy
Forums Junkie

January 2004
wtf is a jabber? a punch line?
Re: How thorough are customs? Sat, 01 January 2005 12:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
u can import them legally... but u need like a licence for that kind of shit (well for the bb guns/airsoft) and also government approval or something
thu187
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: How thorough are customs? Sat, 01 January 2005 12:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If it's something like BB guns, the bb guns will be seized and destroyed. I don't think they will do the courtesy of sending it back to the sender. If you're going to try, remember it's your problem if they don't get in, you can't ask for your money back or anything because it's your responsibility to know your laws. You might be fined or put on record.
When I came back from overseas I brought back 3 BB guns and the customs officer sort of had a not very good look through our luggage and my dad didn't tick the bit about bringing back guns or toy guns or something and asked him if they were allowed. The officer told him that they are illegal in NSW so he'll have to take them and then he wasn't going to do any further searching. He asked if we had any more and my dad said 'I think so' lol. So then he checked but otherwise he wouldn't have. He also walked away for a LONG period of time and you already pass the last set of metal detector thingies so I could've easily shoved them in my pocket and got away with it. (I'm not endorsing this, I'm just saying I could've done it).
Then again he was probably lenient because it was a family of Australian citizens.
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: How thorough are customs? Sat, 01 January 2005 13:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lets just say I wasn't intending on buying a BB Gun, it may have been the other one of the two examples.

In regards to the BB Guns and importing them legally... Some things are no longer fun if you have to fill in forms and be expected to act super resposibly.
thu187
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: How thorough are customs? Sat, 01 January 2005 13:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If it was easy a lot more people would be importing large quantities of umm.. peanuts Laughing
rthy
Forums Junkie

January 2004
wtf is a jabber? a punch line?
Re: How thorough are customs? Sat, 01 January 2005 13:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SIMDOG wrote on Sun, 02 January 2005 00:00

Lets just say I wasn't intending on buying a BB Gun, it may have been the other one of the two examples.

In regards to the BB Guns and importing them legally... Some things are no longer fun if you have to fill in forms and be expected to act super resposibly.

and pay $300 per year or something Confused

btw i have sold ww2 bayonets and sent interstate or overseas (can't remember) and didnt have any problems... try to contact ur local customs office for details

(btw u can still find some crappy bb guns in like those $2 chinese shops! i picked up one for $4! mini ak47 that packed a punch... and broke after awhile Confused )
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: How thorough are customs? Sat, 01 January 2005 13:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
most international mail gets scanned or checked somehow - expect a package of guns being sent to you to be stopped by them - also expect a visit from your local and federal police as well if you attempted such a thing.

it's possible that US customs might let it thru either.

i had 40 quid wirth of 2nd hand parts from the UK get opened up - 2 packages from digikey in the US also got checked.
EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: How thorough are customs? Sat, 01 January 2005 16:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
theres a reason why customs takes so long and costs so much, time/effort/man(and woman) power, they all need to be paid...

bb guns are good for like 7 minutes, i think youll find paintball more to your liking Smile
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: How thorough are customs? Sun, 02 January 2005 01:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
customs = people you DO NOT FUCK WITH. VERY THOROUGH!!!
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: How thorough are customs? Sun, 02 January 2005 02:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
agree .. unless you like people treating you roughly while wearing these:
http://www.lynnriver.co.nz/images/Pg26-64242.gif
i'd avoid pissing off someone from customs or the feds.
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: How thorough are customs? Sun, 02 January 2005 02:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anyhow, it doesn't matter now... This is what I was looking at. knife It was just something I found on eBay the other day and was wondering if I could buy one and try to get it into Australia without me ending up in jail for it. My aunts boyfriend had a switchblade and I thought it was pretty cool for the novelty value. I certainly don't need one, it was just a passing fancy.
MFX_Neko_86
Forums Junkie

September 2004

Re: How thorough are customs? Sun, 02 January 2005 03:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah i have also wondered about this same question... i have looked at importing knives, swords, etc.. (although ive heard sais are illegal in australia??)
But i thought they would be seized.. Sad Shame, coz they have some beautiful stuff overseas...
puzzle man
Forums Junkie

Official Cruise Dude

March 2004
Re: How thorough are customs? Sun, 02 January 2005 03:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dude what do u want 2 go 2 all that trouble 4? u can get them same knives from a camping store in Sydney

[Updated on: Sun, 02 January 2005 03:21]

Racing
Occasional Poster

December 2004
Re: How thorough are customs? Sun, 02 January 2005 03:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
whatever you do, dont have your own name as the addressee.
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: How thorough are customs? Sun, 02 January 2005 03:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
puzzle man wrote on Sun, 02 January 2005 14:20

dude what do u want 2 go 2 all that trouble 4? u can get them same knives from a camping store in Sydney

I doubt it... Switchblades are illegal in Australia aren't they?

That Boker Kalishnikov knife comes in manual version as well as the automatic version. Perhaps you've seen the manual version which is legal in Aus. They look pretty much identical. Confused

If I am wrong then sweet. Smile
EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: How thorough are customs? Sun, 02 January 2005 03:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Went for holiday in europe, bought back plenty of stuff, this included a 1.1 meter katana sword....

customs guy looked at it for about 3 mins and sent us on our merry way...

if its ornamental, chances are you can bring it in, i.e. if it cant be used as a weapon.

i'll be happy to post pictures if you want me to...
switchblades are illegal because they're spring loaded and the blade is hidden in the handle, much like my butterfly knife Razz

there are plenty of stores around with ornamental swords/knives, and they really do look good, im getting the model of "sting", frodos sword from lord of the rings...

my $0.02
muaythaiman
Regular

August 2004
Re: How thorough are customs? Sun, 02 January 2005 05:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
funny how a 27 inch sword isnt illegal if you say its for ornamental use, but nunchaku are?

like a switch blade, doesn't it have to do with the fact it has moving parts?
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: How thorough are customs? Sun, 02 January 2005 07:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
^^^ Yeah, kinda stupid.

Well I don't mind wasting a bit of money trying to buy something from overseas... I just don't want to get myself in some serious trouble. I don't know what they do to people if illegal stuff like a flick knife is found to be posted to Australia. If it is confiscation then, meh it didn't work oh well. But if its, criminal record then I don't want to try.

If I get a criminal record then I'll probably lose my firearms licence and not be able to get it back. (to have a firearms licence you need a completely clean record).
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: How thorough are customs? Sun, 02 January 2005 07:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SIMDOG wrote on Sun, 02 January 2005 12:46

Anyhow, it doesn't matter now... This is what I was looking at. knife It was just something I found on eBay the other day and was wondering if I could buy one and try to get it into Australia without me ending up in jail for it.

if you did this you would be fined and if you tried to be sneaky about it, i'd expect that you'd spend a few months in the same room as a guy called bubba - where you'd be passed around like a squeaky toy.

someone who probably looks like this:
http://www.wolfsfineline.com/wolfpack/Bubba.jpg

go to a disposals or camping store and get a legal knife if you msut have one
switchblades are illegal in every state (i think) .. and if you carried it around in public on you, you'd get arrested for having a concealable weapon on your personage (and the above mentioned scenario might occur then as well).

(edited to include silly picture)

[Updated on: Sun, 02 January 2005 07:24]

StuC
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: How thorough are customs? Sun, 02 January 2005 07:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Customs people are really thorough now.My brother bought a whole heap of T-shirts,stickers, CDs and a hoody or 3 from the states over the net, and cos it didnt have 'clothing + CD only' written on the box the guys at this end opened it up. We we're told that to get it back to us we had to pay another 140bux AUD coz it took their time to open, look through, close back up and post.They didnt even fold the clothes up again fuckers. So yeah, they are very thorough and anal about shit coming through. And Sim, if u want a knife come and se me at Aussie Disposals on Nepean Hwy in Chelt!I'll do ya a deal
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: How thorough are customs? Sun, 02 January 2005 08:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have plenty of knives, I used to collect them when I was younger... I've got a whole bunch including swiss army, buck knives, grandpa's old bone handled ones, and leatherman wave.

I've never had a switchblade and would want it for novelty reasons. ie: That scene from Beverly Hills Cop when Axel Foley breaks his knife while trying to open something... then Rosewood busts out his flick knife to help out... Foley and Taggart are like "WTF?! Where did you get that from." Laughing

I wouldn't be carrying it round like an idiot and would only take it camping and stuff. Basically I'd be responsible but it would just be technically illegal.
beterthenu
Regular

June 2004
Re: How thorough are customs? Sun, 02 January 2005 16:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its a lucky dip. I've had books opened by customs and had the old "opened by customs" sticker on it, but had mace delivered to my door no worries.
jackel
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: How thorough are customs? Sun, 02 January 2005 21:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
why do you want to buy that knife. in w.a. you can pick up ones like that and ones much much bigger at the local markets Confused
Lucid
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Toymods Club Secretary

May 2002
Re: How thorough are customs? Sun, 02 January 2005 21:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
muaythaiman wrote on Sun, 02 January 2005 16:59

funny how a 27 inch sword isnt illegal if you say its for ornamental use, but nunchaku are?

like a switch blade, doesn't it have to do with the fact it has moving parts?

I think it's to do with the fact that a switch blade etc are quite easily concealable.

It's a bit hard to hide a 27" sword in your pocket when you're playing video games on George St..

[Updated on: Sun, 02 January 2005 21:54]

SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: How thorough are customs? Mon, 03 January 2005 01:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jackel wrote on Mon, 03 January 2005 08:13

why do you want to buy that knife. in w.a. you can pick up ones like that and ones much much bigger at the local markets Confused

Again, are they switch blades? I haven't seen them for sale in Australia. I would assume that because they are illegal they would get in trouble from the authorities quite quickly if they were selling them publicly like you say.
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: How thorough are customs? Mon, 03 January 2005 12:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MAybe I could do a trial run with this... If this gets through customs unopened then I reckon trying the real thing might work.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&a mp;category=1469&item=5546322140&rd=1#ebay photohosting
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: How thorough are customs? Mon, 03 January 2005 12:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

its a lucky dip. I've had books opened by customs and had the old "opened by customs" sticker on it, but had mace delivered to my door no worries.

agreed. Had a mate bring a bb gun back from thailand. just walked right through only declared a pack of lollies and the guy thought he was fine

but if you get caught, I hate to think... woe betide
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: How thorough are customs? Mon, 03 January 2005 12:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Difference is that I am not personally walking through and airport terminal with this thing. I am just ordering it and waiting at home for it to arrive. If they kick up a stink, I'll just say that it wasn't me that ordered it. I'll put someone elses name on the parcel like someone suggested.
Squid
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: How thorough are customs? Tue, 04 January 2005 02:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Last year customs changed the way they do things. ALL packages are now X-rayed so getting a gun/knife through would be difficult if not impossible.

Addressing to someone else would also not work. It only becomes an offence once you have it in your possession, something I'm sure the police know. They re-send the package you open it, don't report it within 24 hours and you are in some big ass trouble.
riceburna73
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: How thorough are customs? Tue, 04 January 2005 04:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ahh just do it,fukk you may end up getting in a bit of trouble but your a young bloke and supposed to do shit like this,you wont go to jail ull just get a slap on the wrist...i know of a guy who has a stun gun via the post and its great fun Very Happy stop being such a little bitch or ill sniper you with my sluggie Evil or Very Mad Razz
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: How thorough are customs? Tue, 04 January 2005 04:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
riceburna73 wrote on Tue, 04 January 2005 15:26

ahh just do it,fukk you may end up getting in a bit of trouble but your a young bloke and supposed to do shit like this,you wont go to jail ull just get a slap on the wrist...i know of a guy who has a stun gun via the post and its great fun Very Happy stop being such a little bitch or ill sniper you with my sluggie Evil or Very Mad Razz

I don't wanna lose my firearms licence though. Slap on the wrist maybe but that will include taking my licence too.
riceburna73
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: How thorough are customs? Tue, 04 January 2005 05:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ahhh fair enuf,,that would suck,what is the go with owning an air rifle then? do you have to have a licence? and also lock them up etc?
Geoff
Regular

October 2002
Re: How thorough are customs? Tue, 04 January 2005 05:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I just bought a Yamaha amp from US and they didnt even open it
just charged me customs fees ect
it was addressed to my brother and i paid for it using his credit card and then redirected the amp to my house
whats the go with that
styler
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: How thorough are customs? Thu, 06 January 2005 10:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

flickknives / switchblades are illegal in aus as far as i know
and the whole terrorist thing has made security / searching a lot higher with some heavy penalties.

i used to have quite a collection of bb guns and knives before
i moved here and had to leave them all behind Crying or Very Sad

the biggest problem was people cutting themselves when they
wanted to check out my knives lol. Embarassed

blah blah blah... ra ra ra... shhhhing! aghhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!
it cut me!! it cut me!! aaaaaaaaaahhh!!

they are cool, i used a lot of mine actually, mostly the sheath
knives cos they have a full tang and all.

i loved the folding knives though but i wouldnt be caught red
faced with a flick knife going off in my pocket into my sack,
thats for sure!

here to possess any air powered gun u need a licence! lame...
but thats the way it is i suppose.

no_tofu_speed
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Jab what?!!?!
Re: How thorough are customs? Fri, 07 January 2005 11:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ah sucks, I use to get couple of bb guns, then I got one confirscated and a letter sent, and I appealed to try and get it through but I was stuck, at the time bb/airsoft guns were a grey area. The customs sent me to the ploic,e police snet me back to customs, and yea in the end someone said no. This was before the terrorist stuff, I so badly want one again, so fun. There is just something about playing with a "handgun" like thing without actually doing anything majorly dangerous.

Well customs are over thorough they are dumb sometimes.
They confirscated a katana that had faux ivory tsuka/handle and wante dto sned it away for testing, as ivory is illegal, for christ sake it had mold lines on it!!! I ende dup getting it anyways cause the person igher up was obviously alot smarter than who originally deemed it ivory, but had to pay for it to be released.

And well switchblades and balisong/butterlfy knives are illegal.
Ashame, I so badly wnata balisong/butterfly, due to the personal skill and practise to master it. (It has been proven, the are easily concealable and could be used to rob etc, but totally suck as a combat knife, they just look threatening being flipped and manipulated).
And well decorative samurais swords vs weapons? Just cause it is metal doesnt mean it is real... stainless steel swords are brittle and could neva be used for sword fighting.....
but I had a high carbon forged sword delivered to my door from overseas for iaido.... out of multiple things I have ordered this was the one that brought me least problems.

Are you sure sais are illegal? hmm
They are at alot of martial art stores me thinks...
Kama are illegal I think though...
towe_001
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: How thorough are customs? Fri, 07 January 2005 12:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SIMDOG wrote on Sun, 02 January 2005 14:38

That Boker Kalishnikov knife comes in manual version as well as the automatic version. Perhaps you've seen the manual version which is legal in Aus. They look pretty much identical. Confused

Ok so whats an auto knife?
Anything like the AK-74 where its got a selector for safety, single flick, three flicks or full flick handle emptying auto Confused
EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: How thorough are customs? Fri, 07 January 2005 18:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no_tofu_speed wrote on Fri, 07 January 2005 19:24

balisong/butterlfy knives are illegal.

Cool
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: How thorough are customs? Sat, 08 January 2005 08:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
towe_001 wrote on Fri, 07 January 2005 23:26

Anything like the AK-74 where its got a selector for safety, single flick, three flicks or full flick handle emptying auto Confused

Auto is where you press a button and the blade flies out (switchblade). Manual is where you have to open the blade manually by pulling is out (normal type of knife: not illegal).
towe_001
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: How thorough are customs? Sat, 08 January 2005 11:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SIMDOG wrote on Sat, 08 January 2005 19:09

towe_001 wrote on Fri, 07 January 2005 23:26

Auto is where you press a button and the blade flies out (switchblade).

So carry it the wrong way and in the wrong spot and bob's ya aunty
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: How thorough are customs? Sat, 08 January 2005 12:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you are unlucky, yes. The one I want has the blade swing out from the side in an arc. ie: the non sharpened side of the blade would hit you first... The one that my aunt's boyfriend had was different. It had the blade shoot out the end linearly. ie: hold it up to someone, press the button and wait for the scream as the blade goes into them.

The first type I think is a lot safer to carry in your pocket. Both types have a safety mechanism but I would never fully trust them. Like with my rifle when hunting, I never walk with it cocked relying on the safety catch. I always have the bolt open so everyone (including me) knows it is safe at a glance and can't go off. Its just as quick to close the breach as it is to take off the safety catch but it is so much safer if you trip over and drop the gun. And you can see from a distance that it is not active.
thu187
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: How thorough are customs? Mon, 10 January 2005 17:51 Go to previous message
MFX_Neko_86 wrote on Sun, 02 January 2005 14:15

Yeah i have also wondered about this same question... i have looked at importing knives, swords, etc.. (although ive heard sais are illegal in australia??)
But i thought they would be seized.. Sad Shame, coz they have some beautiful stuff overseas...

You can bring in samurai style swords and stuff but the tip must be blunt or they have something you can put on it to make it blunt.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:New tool set
Next Topic:game downloads
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 8 06:06:59 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0081048011779785 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.