Meat_rack
Regular

December 2004
18rg mods Wed, 29 December 2004 12:42 Go to next message
i was just wondering wot kind of money it would cost me to get

-new pistons
-heads reconditioned
-and any other stuff

im looking for about 160hp to 180hp without doing anything to the bottom end unless it is totally nessesary.
it will have a pair of reconditioned webbers that are tuned, a new set of extractors and cams.

and also were would i get pistons from

thanx
Andrew.
  Send a private message to this user    
Justice
Occasional Poster

May 2004

Re: 18rg mods Wed, 29 December 2004 13:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey
while this has been started i may aswell ask my q aswell
i want to put a 18rgeu in a RA28 and i wana kno wot mods exaclly u need to do this and cost exculding engine and how hard it would b to do urself

itd b sweet if someone can help out
munki
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 18rg mods Wed, 29 December 2004 13:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thousands.

anywhere from 2- 10 dependant on what you do.

first decide what cam your getting and ask arround for advice from reputable builders (ones that have had experience with these motors)

head roughly $500 with springs and valves (sourced from swmotorsport only for later 253 and 270 series heads)

pistons go for 9.7:1 probably over 150 each from toyota if they are still available.

preped block ive been quoted 150- 300 for bath/bore shave etc. also ive been quoted 400-500 for sleeves which i think is pretty reasonable

then you have a full gasket and seal kit with bearings arround 3 or 350?

rings 100

then there is the oil pump recomended to replace (ask toyota about that one $$$)

timing gear 400+ (those guides are dear!) plus any cogs that need replacing

then there is the fuel pump and water pump to be replaced if needed (I would)

then there is the carb rebuilds, tune, and dizzy regraph (if needed probably necessary if there is a fairly wild cam there)

and all the other bits and pieces i have forgotten like hoses etc and nothing done to the bottom end (like balanceing linish etc)

PLUS labour!

and even then i dont think you would see 180hp 160 is a more realistic goal with standard bottom end.

Daniel

Meat_rack
Regular

December 2004
Re: 18rg mods Wed, 29 December 2004 13:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
would it be possible to just slap a new set of cams new pistons assuming the sleves are in good condition and recondition the heads. and also would the freshly rebuilt carbies and new extractors make much of a diffirence.
munki
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 18rg mods Wed, 29 December 2004 13:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Meat_rack wrote on Wed, 29 December 2004 23:29

would it be possible to just slap a new set of cams new pistons assuming the sleves are in good condition and recondition the heads. and also would the freshly rebuilt carbies and new extractors make much of a diffirence.

short answer no.

long answer, think of it this way. if you slapped in some new parts think about what you would need.

pulling the enfine apart = new gaskets and seals. It would be stupid not to replace bearings also.

new pistons = new rings. new pistons and new rings = reconditioned block. You can leave the block as is if you enjoy pulling your engine down just after you have run it for the first time.

timing components why would you leave old timing components in with saggy chains worn guides and weak tensioners. They could jump a tooth or break resulting in a whole bunch of noise and then a whole lot of silence.

etc etc etc

get the idea?
Meat_rack
Regular

December 2004
Re: 18rg mods Wed, 29 December 2004 14:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanx for the advice i think i wall ge the block and shit fully done and do it right so i can get some fair humpty out of it.
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: 18rg mods Wed, 29 December 2004 21:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you get over size pistons then the block will need boring out and honing anyway.
Theres always the option of using 20r,21r or 22r pistons(cant remember exactly which ones) and getting a 22re crank ground down to fit and using some bigger cams and webbers. supposivly makes it out near 2.4litre but not sure if thats true. Then you would be looking at a bit of go. but like everything its gonna cost you lots of $$$$ and theres no point skimping on anything
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: 18rg mods Wed, 29 December 2004 23:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
9.7:1 pistons = NOT AVAILABLE from toyota.
8.7:1 pistons = $180ea at trade

basic head reconditioning will cost around $300-400 depending on what needs replacing. Price will go VERY high very quickly if you start asking for porting, oversize valves etc etc. This is where you can make a decent amount of power in NA form combined with some largish cams.

Cams. Expect anywhere from $600 a pair upwards for custom billets. DONT GO FOR REGRINDS, they are bad. Of course with anything high lift or much over the stock ones, you will have to get some new valve springs.

Boring out the block is the best way to increase displacement, you can get almost 2.2L just from boring. I wouldnt stroke it as the revability would go out the window (ie - NOTHING 22R etc)

With something like this you would be getting close to your target 160HP, but NOT 180HP. You would also be up for around $4000.

You would be better off turboing the bastard Razz
ta22gt
Regular

February 2004
Re: 18rg mods Thu, 30 December 2004 00:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have just spent 3500 on a freshen up for my 2.2l thats not including new pistons or valves etc as it already had all the good gear in it that was basically machine work, balancing gaskets, bearings,and new clutch&pressure plate.If you want big hp it is gonna be very expensive.are you racing it or road car if for road car keep it realistic and think about how it will be in day to day traffic.
Nev Evil or Very Mad
Meat_rack
Regular

December 2004
Re: 18rg mods Thu, 30 December 2004 00:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it will be road car that i just want a bit more power out of. but if i get keen ill turbo it and maybe take it to a drag race.
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: 18rg mods Thu, 30 December 2004 15:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i got the works done to my head and that retailed for around the $2500-$3000 mark {not what i paid tho Very Happy }

i have regrinds, they are fine, the only reason not to go for regrinds is that it can make it harder to setup, but if u r geting the works done, it doesnt really matter
CelicaRA45
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: 18rg mods Thu, 30 December 2004 22:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
clive cams in melb have the TRD rally grind profiles 304 and 288 for the exhaust. andrew vibert was using these in his rally car for the tsroker 2tg but TRD do it for both motors
Justice
Occasional Poster

May 2004

Re: 18rg mods Fri, 31 December 2004 02:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeh im thinkin somethin good wit a bit of power to drive around in but wot bout just droping one in a RA28 wot mods u ave to do wit brackets and other stuff????
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 18rg mods Sat, 01 January 2005 03:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Were you typing drunk or is that how you actually talk? Confused
Justice
Occasional Poster

May 2004

Re: 18rg mods Sat, 01 January 2005 03:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sry mate i knew wot i was tokin bout lol but i wasnt reading it bak....

ill rewrite it
i want a 18rg basicly stock wit a bit more power then a stock one to ave some fun with. i dont wana spend much money and also want to kno wot u need to put a 18rgeu in a ra28 i think thats betta. and wot would b the betta way to go about it just buy a 18rg then put fuel injection on it or just go get a 18rgeu?

i cant believe i wrote that lol i wasnt drunk either Embarassed
munki
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 18rg mods Sat, 01 January 2005 09:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Justice wrote on Sat, 01 January 2005 13:38

ill rewrite it
i want a 18rg basicly stock wit a bit more power then a stock one to ave some fun with. i dont wana spend much money and also want to kno wot u need to put a 18rgeu in a ra28 i think thats betta. and wot would b the betta way to go about it just buy a 18rg then put fuel injection on it or just go get a 18rgeu?

third time lucky?
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 18rg mods Sat, 01 January 2005 11:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shocked

What are they teaching kids in schools these days?
Meat_rack
Regular

December 2004
Re: 18rg mods Sat, 01 January 2005 11:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shocked Confused not much by the looks Justice's typing. Shocked Confused
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: 18rg mods Sat, 01 January 2005 12:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Justice wrote on Sat, 01 January 2005 14:38

ill rewrite it

Jeez you must be tokin some good stuff Justice!

If you want to make more power on a stock motor put in some high octane fuel and advance your timing a couple of degrees.
Anything much beyond this will mean you have to modify your tractor motor beyond its stock form.
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: 18rg mods Sat, 01 January 2005 12:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
but first, a short course in english might help Very Happy
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 18rg mods Sat, 01 January 2005 12:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Toobs wrote on Sat, 01 January 2005 22:21

tractor motor

Do I detect a hint of elitism? Razz
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: 18rg mods Sat, 01 January 2005 12:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
he's just jealous of our bearing size Smile
Justice
Occasional Poster

May 2004

Re: 18rg mods Sat, 01 January 2005 15:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
aw F*** i cant believe im typing like this lol...

u guys wont be able to believe that i was pretty good at english Smile im talking about things like different heads, port polish, increasing intake and exhaust etc. (thats what i was talking about and if there expensive for there power increases) but im mainly asking what you would need to just put a 18rgeu in a ra28 any adjustments because i am changing the engine from a 18rc to 18rgeu.

this one looks better Razz least most of it is written better lol this is first time i have had to write properly for ages thanks guys Mad

[Updated on: Sat, 01 January 2005 15:13]

brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: 18rg mods Sun, 02 January 2005 02:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Justice wrote on Sun, 02 January 2005 02:08

asking what you would need to just put a 18rgeu in a ra28 any adjustments because i am changing the engine from a 18rc to 18rgeu.

Mad

this should be easily found by searching. but anyway, if the car had a R series engine in it then any othere R series engine will bolt onto that bellhousing at least (not neccesarily engine mounts will bolt up and there maybe sump clashes).

the 18r-g engines are pretty much just a 18r-c block with a 18rg timing case and head so it will bolt in no worries (it did with mine anyway). there is a couple mods that have to be done like throttle setup etc. but that is only minor.

brett
Justice
Occasional Poster

May 2004

Re: 18rg mods Sun, 02 January 2005 14:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks man
i honestly cant believe it took that long to get a straight forward answer like that Embarassed Embarassed lol
thanks again i just gotta find a 18rgeu thats running now and the $$$$$$$$$
k@z3
Occasional Poster

January 2005
Re: 18rg mods Fri, 07 January 2005 04:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If it helps at all, i managed to put a fully rebuilt 18RG in my RA28 celica for just under $650.00. The engine cost me $280.00 from a local wreaker, and the rest was sourced from local performance shops, ebay (international bidding from australia) and the purchase of an original factory 18RG manual (don't do ANY work without one of these!). just by shopping around i found a full gasket kit for this engine for $95.00 AU! The most expensive was $320.00 US. Rings, bearings, bottom end gaskets are all 18RC standard. just a few things you need to look for, the oil stick is different and in a different spot, and you need to make sure that the plumbing is setup correctly (crankcase vetilation and the like. Hope this helps. Also i have a near complete 18RG in pieces that i might be persuaded to part with! Very Happy . Let me know if you need anything

Cheers

Stevie K.
Cool Cool Cool
Justice
Occasional Poster

May 2004

Re: 18rg mods Fri, 07 January 2005 15:34 Go to previous message
that was really helpful thanks... wot other bits do u need to make it go? and can u get em off a 18rc Smile and where bouts r ya wouldnt frieght b a fair bit if ur somewhere i cant just drive and grab it? and how much extra work would i b lookin for to get it fuel injected im just findin all this stuff out so i can make up a doco so i need wot needs to b done and stuff. thanks guys u guys r really knowlodgable thats bad spelling Razz thanks guys..

[Updated on: Fri, 07 January 2005 15:37]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:20 valve water pump to RWD
Next Topic:how much CCA's is enough for a gze.
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 6 21:54:11 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0056009292602539 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.