Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
DRiiFT_King
Regular

November 2004
commore v6 in to hachi Thu, 30 December 2004 11:58 Go to next message
hey, been looking into getting more power out of me 86 for a while now, at the moment it has a stock 4ac in it, i wanted to get a 4age or sr20 put put then i started to get qoutes and it was around $5000 up woulds, i started talking to some mates of my dads, and they said the castlemain hot rod shop make bellhousing kits to attach a commodoer v6 to a celica box, and hopefully im pretty sure thats what a sprinter came out with? then i could pick up a cheap commodore, take out the engine and loom and all the other shit i will need then flog the commodore and try to cover the cost of the engine, so after that i should have a 130kw ae86 with a lot more torque, then later on done the track i can get parts for it dirt cheap and dont have the hassle of trying to get parts from overseas, i can get supercharger kits cheap, and i have my self one budget drifter, with more then enough power.

what are peoples thoughts?
  Send a private message to this user    
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: commore v6 in to hachi Thu, 30 December 2004 12:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
considered the weight and width of them V6 engines?
pr1nce
Regular

April 2004
Re: commore v6 in to hachi Thu, 30 December 2004 12:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
don't do it
xolent
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: commore v6 in to hachi Thu, 30 December 2004 12:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how much you got first of all?
if you want that much power in a car, then why don't you just sell it and buy a 180 or something, since you would want a budget drifter?
imho, hachi roku's don't really need wicked amounts of power to drift and have fun?

[Updated on: Thu, 30 December 2004 12:06]

bathurst-91
Forums Junkie

April 2004

Re: commore v6 in to hachi Thu, 30 December 2004 12:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Somone ban this guy. Surprised

Blasphamy aside.. I understand price is an issue but if your going to go to the trouble of puting a V6 in there and have all that extra weight up front, atleast pick a deacent 6!

1GG's arent that expensive are they?

rthy
Forums Junkie

January 2004
wtf is a jabber? a punch line?
Re: commore v6 in to hachi Thu, 30 December 2004 12:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
once u drop a v6 or 8 its nolonger a driffter...
turn it into a custom "not so old school" v8 supercharged drag rice
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: commore v6 in to hachi Thu, 30 December 2004 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
a Vp or Vr v6 would haul ass in an AE86...

A 302 windsor would be even better tho Wink
xolent
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: commore v6 in to hachi Thu, 30 December 2004 12:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you do get it, people will picture you as a:
->"common whore", and a dickhead on the road that think he's top shit...
->that likes takumi
bathurst-91
Forums Junkie

April 2004

Re: commore v6 in to hachi Thu, 30 December 2004 12:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If your thinking drift car, then definately do not go a 6. Evan with a modded 1ggte, thats like 160kw? VS a 4agte @ 150kw the weight difference is a defining factor for cornering.

I've seen this first hand. I Lined up against Ribbo's 1ggte ae86 in my 4agte and got taken down but as soon as those twisties came up his thing would almost sway into oncoming lanes Very Happy

Heh ok so its not THAT bad. But really there is a reason why everyone goes down a certain route and thats because its a proven one. Stick to a 4age and if you really want that extra power attain it via turbo. Or if you really want N/A then beams is the way to go. But then again it all comes back to money.
3sfe
Regular

March 2004
Re: commore v6 in to hachi Thu, 30 December 2004 12:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mmm have you done the math on what your talking about?
sounds like you need to do a bit more research. For starters you have a 4a block so that means you have a few options for a straight bolt in which = less money. Those supercharger kits are for the V6 IN the commodore and are a tight fit in them so I doubt it would fit in a 86 + your looking at the $1800 mark for that. I suggest looking at the 4agze and see what can be done with that.
Thats my 2c worth
Cazzaboy
Occasional Poster

October 2003
Re: commore v6 in to hachi Thu, 30 December 2004 15:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you are going to go to this much trouble. You might as well get a 1uzfe. Ive seen an AE86 on twincam.org with this conversion. So its possible it seems, certainly not an easy conversion id imagine, but either would fitting a holden v6. Not to mention the toyota V8 has a lot more power, alloy block and heads and 6 bolt mains !

surely chicks dig engines that have 6 bolt mains.
tanman
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: commore v6 in to hachi Thu, 30 December 2004 21:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DRiiFT_King wrote on Thu, 30 December 2004 22:58

i started talking to some mates of my dads, and they said the castlemain hot rod shop make bellhousing kits to attach a commodoer v6 to a celica box, and hopefully im pretty sure thats what a sprinter came out with?

what are peoples thoughts?

Wrong the sprinter has a T50 gearbox, the castlemain kit would be for a W50 or supra box.
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: commore v6 in to hachi Thu, 30 December 2004 21:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
5000 is cheap for an sr20t

say you buy the v6 for 2000

have u priced a bellhousing kit they are around 1200 bucks
then u need the gbox so that adds another 500

so you are already up to 4000 in parts

the sr20t has more power than the old holden v6 so why would u even think of it

the reason dads mates say holden v6 is cause they have no idea about jap import engines and they re all old school

but in japan most of the ae86 drifters have sr20t in them
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: commore v6 in to hachi Thu, 30 December 2004 21:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bathurst-91 wrote on Thu, 30 December 2004 23:09

Somone ban this guy

w3rd....

I say do it man. It would be so hektik it aint funny. And when you fit that $150 levin grille, you will become your namesake.

Personally I really want to see you do it, so I can laugh at yet another person who was unwilling to use their own brain when deciding on an engine conversion.

P.S.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/AE86slut/bushtu.jpg
ae86slaver
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: commore v6 in to hachi Thu, 30 December 2004 22:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bahhahahahaa
Alchemist
Forums Junkie

January 2003
Re: commore v6 in to hachi Thu, 30 December 2004 22:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I wouldn't go the Commy V6, too bloody heavy and the performance wouldn't be a good investment for the money it'd cost you.

You'd be better to go get the 5VZ-FE that's for sale on this forum in the engines section. Least it's an quad cam, probably similar performace and should be a damn sight lighter.

Beams 3SGE, or a 4AGTE would also yield much better performance for the weight.

[Updated on: Fri, 31 December 2004 07:23]

Jake001
Regular

November 2004
Re: commore v6 in to hachi Thu, 30 December 2004 22:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alchemist wrote on Fri, 31 December 2004 09:41

You'd be better to go get the 5VZ-FE that's for sale on this forum in the engines section for $2500 with the lot.

Wasn't it $1200? Makes the conversion even cheaper!
joyride
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

January 2003
Re: commore v6 in to hachi Fri, 31 December 2004 00:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gotta love the pics!
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: commore v6 in to hachi Fri, 31 December 2004 01:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alchemist wrote on Fri, 31 December 2004 06:41

You'd be better to go get the 5VZ-FE that's for sale on this forum in the engines section for $2500 with the lot. Least it's an alloy quad cam, probably similar performace and should be a damn sight lighter.

Errr, try solid iron block.
The camry V6 is the all alloy.
Mr Revhead
Regular

October 2004
Re: commore v6 in to hachi Fri, 31 December 2004 01:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
130kw is easy from a 4age/te
flag the v6 waaaay too much weight, hassle etc etc
and fit a hot 4ag/te

if you wanna play with crummydore 6s get another car
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: commore v6 in to hachi Fri, 31 December 2004 02:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i thought about this 4 my RA40, i could buy a whole car, datsun dualcab that had a commo V6 in it and celica g/box and modded sump 4 about $2000 maximum. but i think a 1ggte would be better 4 me.

in my oppinion, having a light car like that, u are better off having a light engine too. having a bommadore engine would ruin the handling and make it steer like a boat.

other things to consider- sump, front suspension coz it will sag under the all-steel boat anchor of a engine
drift86levin
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: commore v6 in to hachi Fri, 31 December 2004 02:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4AGZE, heaps of torque, bolt in..120kw to play with..repsonds awsome to mods..only 15-20 kgs heavier than a 4age..how can you go wrong??

these engines really do behave like a straight 6..ubundance of torque down low in the revs..
FKN16V
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: commore v6 in to hachi Fri, 31 December 2004 06:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Has anyone thought about the legal side of this enterprise, im thinking v6 fagadore motor is too big to fit (capacity wise)legally.

Something like 930kg (weight of AE86) x 3 (for atmo motor's) = 2790cc is the biggest capacity that can be fitted legally.

And i believe 930kg x 2.5 (for f/i) = 2325cc

Just me 2c worth, dont go down the path of the Gemini, go a 4agte or worked 4agze either will do the job with the right lsd upgrade.

Cheers

Steve
ShiRi
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: commore v6 in to hachi Fri, 31 December 2004 07:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Worst Idea Ever
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: commore v6 in to hachi Fri, 31 December 2004 07:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dont do it.
Alchemist
Forums Junkie

January 2003
Re: commore v6 in to hachi Fri, 31 December 2004 07:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ooops got my V6's mixed up, I will be quiet now Smile
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: commore v6 in to hachi Fri, 31 December 2004 08:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
holden suck
pro_ke
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: commore v6 in to hachi Fri, 31 December 2004 10:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
do it to upset the purists Very Happy
mr2drift
Regular

October 2003
Re: commore v6 in to hachi Sat, 01 January 2005 00:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pro_ke wrote on Fri, 31 December 2004 21:11

do it to upset the purists Very Happy

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA funny shit

its possible to do sure, when it comes down to it, nothing is impossible, but its really your call.

budget ant effort are the real deciding factors.

hell theres a sprinter in brisbane with an RB25 turbo out of a let model r33 skyline, why not use the v6, not my, or most peoples cup of tea, but it would be great......in a straight line.

you then also have to consider the cost of a SERIOUS brake upgrade to go with the extra lard you arer hauling and needing to stop...

my 2c
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: commore v6 in to hachi Sat, 01 January 2005 01:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no stick an ls1 in about the same weight and so much more power plus its a very compact engine
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: commore v6 in to hachi Sat, 01 January 2005 03:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LOL

I call troll.
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: commore v6 in to hachi Sat, 01 January 2005 09:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmmm... Personally not my ideal choice of engine - but - the main reason to do it is to see how many people you can get telling you you're an idiot! With enough effort etc. it could be made to work probably better than anyone here will tell you it will, and if you can do it well and be proud of it that's more important than others' opinions.

Much as I dislike the Buick V6, it's still a slight step up on a 202 Evil or Very Mad
jesseT18
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: commore v6 in to hachi Sat, 01 January 2005 10:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i wonder what happened to DRiiFT_King, looks like you guys have scared off another one!
he hasnt posted for a whole year!

[Updated on: Sat, 01 January 2005 10:13]

mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: commore v6 in to hachi Sat, 01 January 2005 11:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
december 30 2004 is a while ago ey;-)
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: commore v6 in to hachi Sat, 01 January 2005 15:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I second the motion for installing an LS1. Heaps of V8 VT and VX commodores that jerks have wrapped around trees/poles/other wankers.

Might wanna think about a diff upgrade tho . . Laughing
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: commore v6 in to hachi Sat, 01 January 2005 21:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stick to 4 cylinders. Save $$$ on spark plugs Laughing Laughing
Arch
Forums Junkie

January 2004

Re: commore v6 in to hachi Sat, 01 January 2005 23:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
omg i cant believe im reading this....

DO NOT do this conversion, u will be shunned and hated, and the car will be absolute crap.

"yay lets rev this thing out.... to 5 grand" ROFLMAO Laughing

it would be the WORST sprinter ever, man whats with ppl thinking that u need so much power, u DONT.

BTW u dont have to pay $5k for a conversion, u could get a 4age in there for $2k, and thats if u pay too much for the motor, and pay $1k to fit it. dirt cheap and all u need
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: commore v6 in to hachi Sun, 02 January 2005 08:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Arch wrote on Sun, 02 January 2005 10:23

it would be the WORST sprinter ever, man whats with ppl thinking that u need so much power, u DONT.

I've NEVER driven a car with too much power. It is a foreign concept to Me. Got wheelspin? Use less throttle dickhead!

Less than 390hp in a commodore feels gutless and sluggish to me, and yes: I know they weigh in at twice what the Hachi-roku does.
ChuckLandwehr
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: commore v6 in to hachi Mon, 03 January 2005 04:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Why would anyone consider using a 1967 Buick V6 motor in anything?. They are one of the most agricultural engines I have ever had the mispleasure of driving. They have not changed significantly since I drove 1 in 1968.

Heaps of better optons around.

regards Chuck.
pclabrat
Regular

November 2003
Re: commore v6 in to hachi Mon, 03 January 2005 06:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
definately go the LS1 - just make sure you get a factory holden warranty for the 2 rebuilds and the $800 water pump replacement you will need in the first 18 months (although they wouldn't cover my mates water pump under warranty: another disgruntled GMH purist)
Might as well add the holden/ford BTR (or whatever the company is now called)diff with factory standard whine and collapsed pinion bearings to finish the package Rolling Eyes

But seriously, people like the domestic motors because they're simple and easy to work on. But that is what you get, a SIMPLE motor. And in some cases not as reliable as simplicity should be. Most of the crowd 40 or over are scared of the technology, just remember what happened to bathurst with the godzilla's.

Modern Jap motors are very reliable and for dollars spent perform extremely good. A tired commodore v6 with a supercharger kit on it won't last very long - and for the price of a rebuild you could have bolted some decent huffers on a 1jz or 2jz* with a factory bottom-end assembly that will last forever <*or insert other suitable toyo mill that fits in an 86>

i agree with Chuck - heaps of better options around.
Mark.
Sparkle86
Occasional Poster

December 2002
Re: commore v6 in to hachi Mon, 03 January 2005 06:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
When will people learn. Dont mess with a great formula, all you have to do is sit a 4AG between the strut towers!! Less mess, less fuss but loads of fun!! Dont get me wrong there are some great engine conversions out there, but remember the KISS rule, KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID! I have an 86 with a GZE in the bay but am considering swaping back to a 4AG with, wait for it.... WEBBERS!! Ah that side draft roar! simple as hell and butt loads of fun!!

Why would you fit a vintage engine any way, can anyone remember what pushrods are these days?? Seems even thoes great lovers of the pushrod engine, Holden, are being draged kicking and screaming to where the japanese where ten or more years ago!!
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: commore v6 in to hachi Mon, 03 January 2005 06:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pclabrat wrote on Mon, 03 January 2005 16:03

definately go the LS1 - just make sure you get a factory holden warranty for the 2 rebuilds and the $800 water pump replacement you will need in the first 18 months (although they wouldn't cover my mates water pump under warranty: another disgruntled GMH purist)
Might as well add the holden/ford BTR (or whatever the company is now called)diff with factory standard whine and collapsed pinion bearings to finish the package Rolling Eyes

But seriously, people like the domestic motors because they're simple and easy to work on. But that is what you get, a SIMPLE motor. And in some cases not as reliable as simplicity should be. Most of the crowd 40 or over are scared of the technology, just remember what happened to bathurst with the godzilla's.

Modern Jap motors are very reliable and for dollars spent perform extremely good. A tired commodore v6 with a supercharger kit on it won't last very long - and for the price of a rebuild you could have bolted some decent huffers on a 1jz or 2jz* with a factory bottom-end assembly that will last forever <*or insert other suitable toyo mill that fits in an 86>

i agree with Chuck - heaps of better options around.
Mark.

DUDE....you have a 302 in a TA22? NOICE! I am in the lengthy process of placing one in an MA61 supra...
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: commore v6 in to hachi Mon, 03 January 2005 06:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes and no, considering they just released a brand new 6.0l V8 with wait for it pushrods, I wouldn't say they have changed. The v6 however was at the end of its life and no mor power could really be squeezed out of it for a factory engine. So it was time to upgrade plus the fact that it a hoary old engine anyhow. The ls2 although with pushrods is a pretty good engine all alloy and 300kw or near enough out of the box. A set of extractors, exhaust better cold air induction and you have around 330+kw. Thats over 50kw per L which isn't too bad for so called old technology.
It can also pull away from the lights in third gear off idle with ease due to its mountain of torque down low unlike the gen111. It weighs marginally more than a 4cyl sits nice and low in the engine bay and has the ford V8 kicked to bits.
But torque of V8's in sprinters is just crazy its too light a car, realistically a 4agze or even a 3sge out of an mr2 with a few mods is plentiful, otherwise the thing will just become a bitch to drive. Be a daily driver events like rain with an overpowered car become a nightmare.
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: commore v6 in to hachi Mon, 03 January 2005 06:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you would never get v8 torque down in a sprinter...wheelspin wheelspin and more wheelspin
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: commore v6 in to hachi Mon, 03 January 2005 06:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats why the ls1 is perfect no torque until 4k yay, just kidding
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: commore v6 in to hachi Mon, 03 January 2005 06:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mind you there is plenty of clubmans and also the new elfins with ls1's in them and they are lighter than sprinters. Very fast very frieghtening and lots of fun, how would you like wheelspin in fourth gear remeber thats a commodore 4th gear capable of topping out at 200+ km/ph
pclabrat
Regular

November 2003
Re: commore v6 in to hachi Mon, 03 January 2005 07:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
v8_ma61 - 302 in a supra would make a very nice car for the open road! Be good to check it out when i'm back in Brisbane hopefully this year. i built the v8celica years ago as a towcar for a drag car. Only drama I had with engineering was it had to be on lpg only as the motor is older than the car (pollution adr's then no longer apply). It's in really bad need of a tidy up as i've just re-registered it after plenty of years being under an uncles house in Victoria.

It's just a cruiser, my other celica with the 18RG is a much more fun car to drive, revvy motors belong in small light cars. Even if it's not as fast or powerful the driving experience is much more satisfying. I'm sure this applies to the sprinter as well.

I do agree you can make good power with a pushrod motor, and even streetable big hp with a roller cam, but it's always good to take the piss out of the LS1 dilemma's considering the holden & hsv marketing hype Razz
and how a family sedan needs 250+kw to do the grocery shopping.

wife:"do you mind if i take the hsv, honey?"
bloke:"why can't you take your car?"
wife:"well, i might want to do a few laps of the local race track on the way back home from picking billy and the twins up from school..."

hehe
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: commore v6 in to hachi Mon, 03 January 2005 09:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bloke: "Don't forget to call the tanker guy, the HSV needs a refill.."
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: commore v6 in to hachi Mon, 03 January 2005 09:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Read the Clubby R8 vs Falco GT-P comparo in Motor: The LS2 makes more torque lower in the RPM range, and more HP higher than the Ford's Quad cam, quad valve wundermotor. I'm not saying Ford knows how to build a tops quad-cam motor, and yes: I know it gives the chev lump 600cc. Still, it's a PERCEPTION that quad cam is high-tech and pushrods are old-hat.

Twin overhead cams and quad-valve heads have been around for 90 years folks. They've been in production road cars for 85 years. I know it's largely corporate propaganda, but the Gen III / IV REALLY is lighter, narrower, shorter and has a lower C.o.G. than an DOHC engine.
foxtail
Regular

January 2005
Re: commore v6 in to hachi Mon, 03 January 2005 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Have you ever seen that RB25t powered sprinter turn?? I think he got the record for the most number of loops at QLD Raceway.
But then again I think he just pulled a 10 down the quarter.
levin_boi
Regular

March 2004
Re: commore v6 in to hachi Mon, 03 January 2005 12:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shocked

[Updated on: Mon, 03 January 2005 12:34]

levin_boi
Regular

March 2004
Re: commore v6 in to hachi Mon, 03 January 2005 12:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok first off, if i ever see commonwhore parts on a sprinter, i would have to stab the owner in the face with a soldering iron.

dont do it or the above will follow Mad . i mean seriously a commonwhore v6 into a 86. its just not right Mad . the high points of an 86 is its wieght and balance. ur jus gonna go fuck that up cos ur cheap? please dont. stick with your performance 4ac carby rice boy.

shit seriously man, its making me angry just thinking about it.

please ban him now

sab
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: commore v6 in to hachi Mon, 03 January 2005 12:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
levin_boi wrote on Mon, 03 January 2005 22:33

ok first off, if i ever see commonwhore parts on a sprinter, i would have to stab the owner in the face with a soldering iron.

dont do it or the above will follow Mad . i mean seriously a commonwhore v6 into a 86. its just not right Mad . the high points of an 86 is its wieght and balance. ur jus gonna go fuck that up cos ur cheap? please dont. stick with your performance 4ac carby rice boy.

shit seriously man, its making me angry just thinking about it.

please ban him now

sab

constructive criticism dude? At least give the poor bastard some ideas. a 3SGTE might be a good swap for him if he *SAVES* some money...

pclabrat - yeah with a bit of luck she should be pretty slippery...and it should be nice and torquey to give a bash around the streets...its also gonna see the strip a fair bit as well...hence my diff worries and uncertainties what to do...
levin_boi
Regular

March 2004
Re: commore v6 in to hachi Mon, 03 January 2005 12:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok sorry my bad, i got angry when i first read it. dont wreck the front to rear balance of the 86 by putting the heavy v6 in it. sprinters were never designed to house so much power. so unless your planning to reinforce the body and upgrade your brakes there is no point in doing this conversion. also this isnt exactly the cheapest conversion you could do. sprinters dont need huge amounts of power to drift. if you really want some punch from your right foot then consider going down the 3sgte path. atleast this isnt an untrecked path and there are many people on this forum that could help you out.

the soldering iron will be waiting for u if u go the commonwhore

do the right thing

sab
YelloRolla
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: commore v6 in to hachi Mon, 03 January 2005 13:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I never bothered opening this thread until tonight because the title told me that it was a waste of time. Now that I have read it, I can state for sure that while it was a waste of time, there was a barrage of funny responses but one under lying theme DONT STICK THE COMMODORE ENGINE IN THE SPRINTER I can think of no worse conversion (hang on how about a 3cyl Lister diesel into an Alfa Romeo GTV?).

I read the article with the orange Gemini with the V6 and I can tell you that any half sorted turbo 4 will chomp it to bits in a straight line.

(damn why did I bother replying?)
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: commore v6 in to hachi Mon, 03 January 2005 14:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thing is ANY piston engine is hideously inefficient, old hat, etc. They ALL only achieve appalingly low efficiency. The Ford V8 is a ruined stroked version of a much better 4.6 litre unit. The buick V6 is an old design, definately not power productive, and made with inferior parts - heck even the crankshaft is crap. The LS1 is fairly power productive, and made with much better bits than the earlier engines, but has a serious thirst issue...

That all said, how many of you have been for a ride in a pretty wild 'old school, crap' V8 engine'd car that pulls hard? Yes it's expensive, dirty, inefficient, etc., but the sound/feel/etc. certainly is a great experience. Then again I also love fours, sixes, rotors, etc. - so I've got a problem, don't I! Very Happy
soulfire
Regular

May 2004

Re: commore v6 in to hachi Mon, 03 January 2005 20:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Corona RT142 wrote on Mon, 03 January 2005 17:25

mind you there is plenty of clubmans and also the new elfins with ls1's in them and they are lighter than sprinters. Very fast very frieghtening and lots of fun, how would you like wheelspin in fourth gear remeber thats a commodore 4th gear capable of topping out at 200+ km/ph

lighter than a sprinter...? i honestly want what you are smoking dude
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: commore v6 in to hachi Mon, 03 January 2005 22:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Um... he's talking about those little two-seat racers (Lotus Seven replicas), which I can assure you are much lighter than any Corolla.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: commore v6 in to hachi Tue, 04 January 2005 05:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Soulfire indeed what the fuck are you smoking to think nothing is lighter than a sprinter, with 4cyl they are around 600kg, with ls1 and wider body they only weigh 800kg, so I don't think I the one smoking anything, add to that some nobs supercharging them and making 370-400kw youch, thats a killer power to weight ratio.
Further to the argument about the shitty ford quad cam, The thing is physically huge sits high in the engine bay raising centre of gravity, with its huge stroke of 105.8mm it can't rev and it weighs shitloads more than any ls1.
As for the sprinetr being a daily driver a 4agze or 3sge from a late model mr2 with 129kw would make is nice and nippy.
Talk of v8's is just dreamy and would end up ruining the handling balance of the car if not beacuse of weight but because you can't bring the throotle on coing out of a corner as it will just spit you out.
soulfire
Regular

May 2004

Re: commore v6 in to hachi Tue, 04 January 2005 08:35 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Corona RT142 wrote on Tue, 04 January 2005 16:13

Soulfire indeed what the fuck are you smoking to think nothing is lighter than a sprinter, with 4cyl they are around 600kg, with ls1 and wider body they only weigh 800kg, so I don't think I the one smoking anything, add to that some nobs supercharging them and making 370-400kw youch, thats a killer power to weight ratio.
Further to the argument about the shitty ford quad cam, The thing is physically huge sits high in the engine bay raising centre of gravity, with its huge stroke of 105.8mm it can't rev and it weighs shitloads more than any ls1.
As for the sprinetr being a daily driver a 4agze or 3sge from a late model mr2 with 129kw would make is nice and nippy.
Talk of v8's is just dreamy and would end up ruining the handling balance of the car if not beacuse of weight but because you can't bring the throotle on coing out of a corner as it will just spit you out.

ohh sorry, complete lack of comunication, i thought you were talking about hsv clubsports erk.
*will think more before posting next time*
Pages (3): [1  2  3  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Rack & Pinion toe settings, camber added
Next Topic:*MELB* Who can build it?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 11:19:32 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0086190700531006 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.