Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Azza
Regular

December 2004
icon4.gif  Modding a rolla Thu, 30 December 2004 15:34 Go to next message
Hi, Im pretty new to the car scene and should hopefully be getting my car a 92 or 93 rolla by the end of january its a twin cam 1.8 litre and i was wondering if it is worth modding the engine a bit and if so what would be best to do on say a 3-4ooo$ budget?

Cheers,
Azza Very Happy
  Send a private message to this user    
Ko Ko
Regular

May 2003
Re: Modding a rolla Thu, 30 December 2004 22:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey there,

Welcome to the forums.

For that budget you could possibly get the following:

-Exhaust
-Air Filter
-Computer
-Possibly some adjustable cam gears.

Im not familiar with the specifics of the the engine ur talking about but those are the things you could possibly do to the car with that sort of budget.
Johnny
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Modding a rolla Fri, 31 December 2004 01:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
with $3-4K... Change the engine. The 1.8l aren't flash and hard to get parts, but can be made to go alright, but not as good as a complete swap.
Azza
Regular

December 2004
Re: Modding a rolla Fri, 31 December 2004 01:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What sort of engine would you recomend using, im fairly mechanicly illiterate at this point Smile
Johnny
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Modding a rolla Fri, 31 December 2004 03:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you can get a 20V or a GZE.. Either will produce good results, with little fuss
Azza
Regular

December 2004
Re: Modding a rolla Fri, 31 December 2004 04:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ko Ko wrote on Fri, 31 December 2004 09:23

-Exhaust
-Air Filter
-Computer

If a new engine isnt in the cards would these be the best things to go for? The engine in it has recently undergone a rebuild and had the seals, filters ect replaced so it's in pretty good nick.
Azza
Regular

December 2004
Re: Modding a rolla Sat, 01 January 2005 06:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
*Bump* Very Happy
Johnny
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Modding a rolla Sat, 01 January 2005 09:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Possibly some adjustable cam gears.

these have to be custom made, along with cams.. cost is up around $2k for the lot.
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: Modding a rolla Sat, 01 January 2005 21:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ko Ko wrote on Fri, 31 December 2004 09:23

Hey there,

Welcome to the forums.

-Exhaust
-Air Filter
-Computer

Im not familiar with the specifics of the the engine ur talking about but those are the things you could possibly do to the car with that sort of budget.

3-4K can get u way way more stuff than that.

well if the engine just had a rebuild, spend some money on suspension and good tyres. it all depends what u want at the end of the day.
Jonny2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Modding a rolla Sat, 01 January 2005 22:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I would say leave the engine alone. See how hard you can push it standard, then buy polyurathane bushes, stiffer springs, new shocks, strut brace. If the car has 13" wheels, then go to 185/60/14 tyres on 14" wheels, or maybe 15". Maintain and learn your car, adjust the handbrake etc, fix all the rattles.

Then plan a 4A-GE engine of some sort in the future.

Or maybe before you buy, make sure you get a "SX" or "GT" spec Corolla that already has a 4A-GE engine standard. That would be much better.
towe_001
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: Modding a rolla Sun, 02 January 2005 12:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Either way you go. If you buy the ae92 with the 7afe. Do the cheap and simple mods while your saving for the 4age. Things in the way of swapping the exhaust for a 2 1/4inch from the cat back will open up a few horse. Cold air induction. Maybe an aftermarket aircleaner (eg: K and N). In my opion i wouldn't use a pod filter unless your going to make a heat shield for it.
But yeah like Jonny2TG said upgrade the suspension
And do the brakes as well.
Azza
Regular

December 2004
Re: Modding a rolla Mon, 03 January 2005 09:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was hoping to take the car to the motorkhana eventually and put her on the skidpan just for a bit of fun, so the springs and brakes ect should be first priority I'm guessing? Or would a stock engine need more go before I try anything like that? Or would I just be better off with a different car and just keeping this one for run around? (was thinking about getting a Sera near the end of the year?)

Cheers,
Azza.
Galactic Soap
Regular

December 2003
Re: Modding a rolla Mon, 03 January 2005 21:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Azza wrote on Mon, 03 January 2005 20:21

Or would I just be better off with a different car and just keeping this one for run around? (was thinking about getting a Sera near the end of the year?)

Lets not start this crazy talk son Twisted Evil

I, as am sure, alot of people on this forum were confronted with your predicament, at the end of the day I doubt you'll be happy with the performance the 7AFE can muster, the way I see it with your budget (maybe just abit more)

1) 4AGE Swap
2) What everyone else has mentioned, suspension and brake work.

Cheers
Soapy

towe_001
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: Modding a rolla Mon, 03 January 2005 21:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As long as you keep the service and maintenance up i reakon it'd be fine on the pan and motorkhanas. As for the stock power you'll more then likely find the car will have enough to keep you happy till you learn how to control the car. Then increase the power as your skills increase.
As for the second car thing, its really up to you. Its got its good points and its got its bad points.
towe_001
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: Modding a rolla Mon, 03 January 2005 22:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Galactic Soap wrote on Tue, 04 January 2005 08:56

at the end of the day I doubt you'll be happy with the performance the 7AFE can muster

Odd that cause when i first started driving my first car was a 1.2litre pushrod motor of pure gutless power and i used to have a ball in it. It'd understeer till i learn how to get it to oversteer.
Azza
Regular

December 2004
Re: Modding a rolla Thu, 06 January 2005 12:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the help guys, I've now decided to get a sera for my birthday and 'rice' it to a certain extent. Evil or Very Mad

Thanks for your help anyways, Hopefully it will come in handy for any future modders.

Cheers,
Azza.
Azza
Regular

December 2004
Re: Modding a rolla Sun, 09 January 2005 15:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jonny2TG wrote on Sun, 02 January 2005 09:20

Or maybe before you buy, make sure you get a "SX" or "GT" spec Corolla that already has a 4A-GE engine standard. That would be much better.

Well today I found out my car is a 89' Corolla seca SX, so I assume it has a 4age in it already... YEAH BABY Very Happy

So looks like I might be sticking with rolla powa after all!
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Modding a rolla Sun, 09 January 2005 23:41 Go to previous message
with that buget, it it didn't have a 4age in it, that's what I would be doing

otherwise the usual like all these guys have said, zorst, intake, catch can
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:3SGTE questions...2
Next Topic:Rotor choice
Goto Forum: