Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » The Outhouse » Damn Cantonese...

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Damn Cantonese... Mon, 03 January 2005 11:10 Go to next message
Hey anyone here able to help me out, trying to call a friend in Hong Kong but the retarded father keeps answering the phone and doesn't seem to get that I want to talk to bernadette (her english name) so how the crap do I say "is bernadette there". As I understand it the inflexion can change the meaning in cantonese...so yeah gimme a hand ppl.
  Send a private message to this user    
Spanktown
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: Damn Cantonese... Mon, 03 January 2005 11:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
google is your friend. i cant remember the exact page but there are heaps of translation websites.
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Damn Cantonese... Mon, 03 January 2005 12:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah I tried that man! I spent an hour and a bit looking for a free translator but all it does is spew out non-phonetic crap that I can't understand/read.
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: Damn Cantonese... Mon, 03 January 2005 23:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wei bernadette ha..i mar?
hello, bernadette there ?

it would help if u know her chinese name as father might not know of her engish name.

also, u have to drag the ha..i a little and a fast mar (? tone)

because im not telling u these in person, wish u ALL the luck u can get in the world.
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Damn Cantonese... Tue, 04 January 2005 01:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
is that 'i' prononced as in "ah my fucking eye hurts" or as in "hey man, you got any e?"
joyride
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

January 2003
Re: Damn Cantonese... Tue, 04 January 2005 01:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i = eye;
and 'wei' could be pronounced as 'way'
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Damn Cantonese... Tue, 04 January 2005 01:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool - I'll see how it goes, although knowing how other languages usually are I'm picturing something stupid happening like in those dodgy comedy movies where the subtitle says 'Bernadette reminds me of your mum in bed' or something and the guy starts swearing at me Very Happy
monk
Newcomer

May 2004
Re: Damn Cantonese... Tue, 04 January 2005 02:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wei mm goy ar "bernadette" hay mm hay dow arr?

try that
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: Damn Cantonese... Tue, 04 January 2005 04:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
monk wrote on Tue, 04 January 2005 13:13

wei mm goy ar "bernadette" hay mm hay dow arr?

try that

too complicated for a kwai loh!!
Clown
Forums Junkie

September 2002

Re: Damn Cantonese... Tue, 04 January 2005 05:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
haha i wanna know how you went
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Damn Cantonese... Tue, 04 January 2005 05:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
But is her name actually bernadette or is that only her english name, he may not respond unless you say her cantonese name in cantonese.
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: Damn Cantonese... Tue, 04 January 2005 05:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dats english name...
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Damn Cantonese... Tue, 04 January 2005 05:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
do you know cantonese name
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Damn Cantonese... Tue, 04 January 2005 05:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you could just learn daughter, and ask can I speak to your daughter please Mr whatever his name is
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Damn Cantonese... Tue, 04 January 2005 06:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just ask him to get her to call you back on +61 2 4444 4444
Lucid
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Toymods Club Secretary

May 2002
Re: Damn Cantonese... Tue, 04 January 2005 09:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This thread is worthless without pics! Very Happy
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Damn Cantonese... Tue, 04 January 2005 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tada - this is the quickest one I can get on short notice.
http://home.bigblue.net.au/pwade/B_and_brothers.jpg

Umm - I'll let you guys figure out which one Bernadette is (the other two are her brothers).

[Updated on: Tue, 04 January 2005 12:14]

RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Damn Cantonese... Tue, 04 January 2005 12:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

too complicated for a kwai loh!!
Hey I know what that means Razz I hear it at the table all the time when I go out to dinner with her family... *sigh*
Toy Yoda
Regular

March 2004
Re: Damn Cantonese... Tue, 04 January 2005 12:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
She should shave, but her bro on the far right is hot! Razz

Just jokes man Smile
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Damn Cantonese... Tue, 04 January 2005 13:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hahaha - objectively it's not a very good photo - like I said short notice Smile

It's cool you can pay her out, we broke up years ago.
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: Damn Cantonese... Tue, 04 January 2005 18:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FWDboy wrote on Wed, 05 January 2005 00:13

hahaha - objectively it's not a very good photo - like I said short notice Smile

It's cool you can pay her out, we broke up years ago.

how long were u going out with her?

im asking coz....for goodness sake u dont even know how to ask for her on the phone!!! Mad

wat kinda bf r ya? never thought of her parents answering phone b4?

just kidding man
joyride
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

January 2003
Re: Damn Cantonese... Tue, 04 January 2005 22:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shes not that bad for a hongkie!!
riceburna73
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Damn Cantonese... Wed, 05 January 2005 00:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kwai loh!!

Does that mean white devil? I was at a chinese restaurant with my cousin years ago,who speaks fluent cantonese,taiwanese and some other really hard to speak asian language,anyways we were at the restaurant when the two people taking the order,started to talk between themselves saying how we were stupid anglo somthing and then used some aparent common name like what white people may use to asians like gook or somthing racist like that(which aparently means white devil),anyways all of a sudden after the order was taken he askes to see the manager,im like WTF,he then cuts sick at the manager in asian,who then brings the girl over and cuts sick at her in front of us and gets her to appologise to him in mandarin or whatever the language was(sorry for my ignorance)the manager was really trying to keep us there but my cousin just explained he did not want to dine with such racist somthing or other...well that was his translation after I asked him to explain what the fukk they were talking about and WTF went on Very Happy Pretty funny anyways, but must say it does always shit me how the racist call only ever seems to be applied to white people,like the bad ass fanaticals in Indonesia who want to blow up all western targets are called extreemists instead of dirty racist scum..hahahaha sorry for the hijak, Razz
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Damn Cantonese... Wed, 05 January 2005 02:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
She usually lives with her mum in Aus - who speaks english no problems. But when she's in HK I guess it's a lucky dip when it comes to who answers the phone and some of them don't speak english I guess Smile
ae86slaver
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Damn Cantonese... Wed, 05 January 2005 02:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so what is this reason for calling?

re-kindling an old flame ? Twisted Evil
no_tofu_speed
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Jab what?!!?!
Re: Damn Cantonese... Wed, 05 January 2005 03:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm beyond envious right now of you!!!!!
Anyways mite let u know that someones aisan name and english name ar eoften not direct translations or even have anything to do with each other, so quit with the headache google is giving you...
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: Damn Cantonese... Wed, 05 January 2005 03:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
riceburna73 wrote on Wed, 05 January 2005 11:34

kwai loh!!

Does that mean white devil? I was at a chinese restaurant with my cousin years ago,who speaks fluent cantonese,taiwanese and some other really hard to speak asian language,anyways we were at the restaurant when the two people taking the order,started to talk between themselves saying how we were stupid anglo somthing and then used some aparent common name like what white people may use to asians like gook or somthing racist like that(which aparently means white devil),anyways all of a sudden after the order was taken he askes to see the manager,im like WTF,he then cuts sick at the manager in asian,who then brings the girl over and cuts sick at her in front of us and gets her to appologise to him in mandarin or whatever the language was(sorry for my ignorance)the manager was really trying to keep us there but my cousin just explained he did not want to dine with such racist somthing or other...well that was his translation after I asked him to explain what the fukk they were talking about and WTF went on Very Happy Pretty funny anyways, but must say it does always shit me how the racist call only ever seems to be applied to white people,like the bad ass fanaticals in Indonesia who want to blow up all western targets are called extreemists instead of dirty racist scum..hahahaha sorry for the hijak, Razz

a DIRECT translation would mean "ghost guy", dont ask y.

but what it actually means is "white guy". the racist remark is not that word u had in restaurant. kwai loh just means white guy, just clearing it up for u.

yup indonesians are extremist but not all of them. most of those that come here are the chinese indonesians, who are hated by majority of the native indos as well.

one more thing, pls dont generalise things so easily. there are a handfull of racist white ppl as well, doesnt mean all white ppl are racist. im asian and i have respect for white ppl as well and i hope u white guys dont bring ur racist remarks to a toyota forum. let out ur racist side in a racist forum!!
joyride
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

January 2003
Re: Damn Cantonese... Wed, 05 January 2005 03:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
b1gb3n wrote on Wed, 05 January 2005 14:29

yup indonesians are extremist but not all of them. most of those that come here are the chinese indonesians, who are hated by majority of the native indos as well.

theres a thread about the racism of indo-chinese and native indos on another forum i was looking at earlier. it showed gruesome pics of chinese ppl beaheaded/tortured/raped etc from the 1998 indo riots or something. sorry for the hijack, it is just a coincidence you are talking about this as i was looking at the pics earlier today.

back on topic, answer ae86slavers question!!! Very Happy
riceburna73
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Damn Cantonese... Wed, 05 January 2005 05:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message

kwai loh!!

but what it actually means is "white guy". the racist remark is not that word u had in restaurant. kwai loh just means white guy, just clearing it up for u.

one more thing, pls dont generalise things so easily. there are a handfull of racist white ppl as well, doesnt mean all white ppl are racist. im asian and i have respect for white ppl as well and i hope u white guys dont bring ur racist remarks to a toyota forum. let out ur racist side in a racist forum!!

Yeh no racism was intended infact i dont think any of what I said could be interpreted that way,thats why I said the bad ass fanaticals in Indonesia,rather than the indonesians,or those indonesians. I feel the same way about the label, "Muslim extreemists" cause really they should just be called racist biggots as nothing they do represents Islam...Anyways I didnt want to turn this into a racism/current world affair thread,just thought id share a funny story about some people saying things under what they thought was the cover of their own language...You should have seen the girls face when my cuz was cutting sick at the manager...priceless!!! Laughing
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Damn Cantonese... Wed, 05 January 2005 14:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

so what is this reason for calling?

re-kindling an old flame ?
Hahaha - hell no! Don't need another headache. Besides, street racers don't need girlfriends....right???

Quote:

Anyways mite let u know that someones aisan name and english name ar eoften not direct translations or even have anything to do with each other, so quit with the headache google is giving you...
Yeah I can't pronounce her asian name. She can't even translate it herself, but I'm pretty sure that her own dad would know hew english name Smile

And everyone else -> enough hijackalisation Razz
EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: Damn Cantonese... Wed, 05 January 2005 16:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

I feel the same way about the label, "Muslim extreemists" cause really they should just be called racist biggots as nothing they do represents Islam...

Cool
thumbs up to you champ!

i cant help but be shocked that for once someone isnt blaming the whole religion.. even on todays paper "funds muslim countries have donated" about the releif fund... what gives them the right to single out muslim countries?

GET OVER YOUR FEAR OF MUSLIMS, WE'RE NOT ALL LIKE THAT
im glad to see, even my mates, who didnt know that i was, didnt even bat an eye when i told them about it, youth's nowadays dont give a shit who comes from where and beleives in what, its down to the individual!
encounta
Regular

July 2002
Re: Damn Cantonese... Thu, 06 January 2005 16:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FWDboy wrote on Mon, 03 January 2005 22:10

Hey anyone here able to help me out, trying to call a friend in Hong Kong but the retarded father keeps answering the phone and doesn't seem to get that I want to talk to bernadette (her english name) so how the crap do I say "is bernadette there". As I understand it the inflexion can change the meaning in cantonese...so yeah gimme a hand ppl.

Quote:

Yeah I can't pronounce her asian name. She can't even translate it herself, but I'm pretty sure that her own dad would know hew english name Smile

And everyone else -> enough hijackalisation Razz[/quote]

So have you said her english name to the dad or what??
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Damn Cantonese... Fri, 07 January 2005 06:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I want an update.

And more pics.

Update pics or ban mofo.
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Damn Cantonese... Fri, 07 January 2005 06:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hahah - she's in HK until late feb so it's a no go on the updated pics!

The only other piccies I have of her that are any good are a bit revealing Razz
Nolan
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: Damn Cantonese... Fri, 07 January 2005 06:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
c'mon shes ur ex

BRING OUT THE REVELING FOTOS Very Happy
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Damn Cantonese... Fri, 07 January 2005 07:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EldarO wrote on Thu, 06 January 2005 03:21

youth's nowadays dont give a shit who comes from where and beleives in what, its down to the individual!

thats why i cant wait till all these old, biggoted, white, 'old boys' fuck off out of power and let us rule the way it should be

heh
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Damn Cantonese... Fri, 07 January 2005 07:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FWDboy wrote on Fri, 07 January 2005 17:54

Hahah - she's in HK until late feb so it's a no go on the updated pics!

The only other piccies I have of her that are any good are a bit revealing Razz

FFS man.

GET THE PICS OUT
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Damn Cantonese... Fri, 07 January 2005 07:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
du lay lo mo chow hi

hahaha
if that makes sense... Laughing
i dare you to say that to him
skellator
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: Damn Cantonese... Fri, 07 January 2005 07:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ae86drift wrote on Fri, 07 January 2005 18:27

du lay lo mo chow hi

hahaha
if that makes sense... Laughing

ah, no, it doesnt to me Confused
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Damn Cantonese... Fri, 07 January 2005 08:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my pronunciation is kinda fucked
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Damn Cantonese... Fri, 07 January 2005 14:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

FFS man.

GET THE PICS OUT

Haha - no way she's still a good friend, as much as I love all you guys *cough* some things just aren't done Very Happy

Also there's the threat of death if those photos ever get out anywhere.
faulksy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Damn Cantonese... Sat, 08 January 2005 04:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if her mums in australia why dont you give her a quick call for any help contacting her?
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Damn Cantonese... Sat, 08 January 2005 16:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I already got it sorted out Razz Luckily I didn't have to resort to trying my crap cantonese! Now everyone just wants to blab about stereo-types and 'picsorban'
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: Damn Cantonese... Sat, 08 January 2005 17:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so how was it sorted out?
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Damn Cantonese... Sun, 09 January 2005 03:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
One of her brothers answered the phone Smile
joyride
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

January 2003
Re: Damn Cantonese... Mon, 10 January 2005 07:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how about a worksafe pic?
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Damn Cantonese... Mon, 10 January 2005 08:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hahaha u devos
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Damn Cantonese... Mon, 10 January 2005 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WTF is a worksafe pic?
thu187
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Damn Cantonese... Mon, 10 January 2005 17:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
b1gb3n wrote on Tue, 04 January 2005 16:49

dats english name...

No shit Laughing
Soarer
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Damn Cantonese... Mon, 10 January 2005 23:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FWDboy wrote on Mon, 10 January 2005 22:25

WTF is a worksafe pic?

One that can be safely viewed at work without being sacked. i.e. no nudity etc.
Dodgy_Haro
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Damn Cantonese... Wed, 12 January 2005 05:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

FWIW, it actually refers to people who have apparently seen a ghost and have turned white from being sh*t scared ... no joke.

I think they must have shortened it somewhere down the lines.

Dodgy_Haro
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Damn Cantonese... Wed, 12 January 2005 05:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Double post - stupid work computer keyboard ... Evil or Very Mad

[Updated on: Wed, 12 January 2005 05:36]

Dodgy_Haro
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Damn Cantonese... Wed, 12 January 2005 05:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Triple post ... Embarassed

[Updated on: Wed, 12 January 2005 05:35]

b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: Damn Cantonese... Wed, 12 January 2005 16:27 Go to previous message
Dodgy_Haro wrote on Wed, 12 January 2005 16:33

FWIW, it actually refers to people who have apparently seen a ghost and have turned white from being sh*t scared ... no joke.

I think they must have shortened it somewhere down the lines.

i always wondered where it came from. u sure about that? i dont wanna be telling stories like this over a drink n look stupid Embarassed
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:When Airplanes Attack
Next Topic:Oh oh here we go.. Jada produces Initial D toys
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 07:59:37 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0077378749847412 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.