Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
adamb131
Regular

September 2003

GZE Stalling without oil cap Mon, 03 January 2005 22:39 Go to next message
On the weekend I started the GZE in my crashed AW11 that has been sitting for some time in a mates yard.
After a lot of cranking the car started and seemed to run fine although there was quite a bit of noise from under the rocker cover near the oil filler which I'd never noticed before.
I removed the oil filler cap and it nearly blew out of my hand. There is a lot of air pressure coming out of the oil filler hole. After the cap was off for a few seconds the engine seemed to loose vacum and stalled. If I put my hand over the oil filler the revs picked up again.
Could anyone give any idea of what may have caused this. The driveshafts are out of the box and it is empty of gearbox fluid but I wouldnt think this has anything to do with the problem.{Worried}

AdamS
  Send a private message to this user    
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: GZE Stalling without oil cap Tue, 04 January 2005 05:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the first thing you should be worried about is the pressure in the crankcase. this tells you your pistons or piston rings are fucked. thats your major convern not the factr it wont run with the oil cap wtf does that matter?
Bert
Regular

May 2003
Re: GZE Stalling without oil cap Tue, 04 January 2005 06:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i agree with EVO sti. definetly have some serious blow by issues there. sounds like there is only just enough compression in the cylinders to make the car run if it dies with you hand removed.
the only thing to really cause blow by is rings or piston.
how severe is the crash??? did it damage any of the engine??

id be doing a compression test on the motor to find out where compression is at....sounds to me like you could have a dead GZE on your hands.

ps a mate drove 300km with no oil cap on, didnt affect the running at all. just made a bloody huge mess on engine, from oil.
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: GZE Stalling without oil cap Tue, 04 January 2005 06:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Let me guess, its an AFM version GZE? removing the oil cap allows the engine to breathe un-metered air, hence the stalling. Your crankcase system is usually fairly well sealed until you remove the cap Confused Its not unusual, but the large amounts of blowby does suggest a fairly tired motor.
Bert
Regular

May 2003
Re: GZE Stalling without oil cap Tue, 04 January 2005 06:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ah good work te72 turbo. didnt think of that. air going into air intake tthrough pcv hose. nice going....that would cause lean indication and no smooth running
adamb131
Regular

September 2003

Re: GZE Stalling without oil cap Tue, 04 January 2005 08:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes AFM...
Thanks guys for your replies... the motor seemed fine both before and after the crash. The car has 110 thousand Jap K's Confused on it and was happily making 10psi all day...
One thing I thought of is the muffler is a bit squashed... that may have an affect i will remove the cat back system then try again. Also this new noise from the head is a mystery too... could a valve be stuck open or something to be causing it just cause it was sitting for 3-4 months.
Otherwise... Confused hello GTE Very Happy

[Updated on: Tue, 04 January 2005 08:18]

Starfire
Regular

December 2004
Re: GZE Stalling without oil cap Tue, 04 January 2005 11:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If the engine has been sitting for a long time the rings may have bound up - this is actually reasonably common.

Try this:

Pour a small amount of oil in through each spark plug hole.
Let it sit for a while (~10 mins).
Crank her up.

You can expect it to be pretty smokey for a while but should settle down after a minute or two. In many cases this can free up bound rings and get things going again.

If not you can send me the head and supercharger pipework Very Happy

Let me know how you go

-Terry
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: GZE Stalling without oil cap Tue, 04 January 2005 11:45 Go to previous message
have you done a compression test on the engine?
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:please help!!!
Next Topic:gz20 IRS diff into ra28
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 12 16:59:28 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0045411586761475 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.