Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
davedrifts
Regular

Banned User

September 2004
Joining the defence Tue, 04 January 2005 09:29 Go to next message
For any of you who have been in or are in the defence forces this is a Q for you. I was thinking of joining the army after HSC so they would pay my way thru uni to do a mechanical engineering course. Now not being in the best shape i would have to do some work to pass the phsysicals and everything. Once i complete the uni course i would give them 5 years of my life and then off i go to do whatever the hell i want. My question is, would it be worth it? Is it worth going thru all of it just for the sake of a uni course?
thanks.
  Send a private message to this user    
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Joining the defence Tue, 04 January 2005 09:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Army blows. Go either the air force or the navy. Army is last on the list Confused
Hodgie
Regular

February 2004
Re: Joining the defence Tue, 04 January 2005 12:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As Cool1 said, go for the Air Force first, followed by the Navy with the Army last on your list if it is purely for gaining a degree. The Air Force has the lowest physical standards of the three services and they get the best perks. The Navy often spends a lot of time at sea, great for cash for your car but leaves you with not much time to play with it. The Army can be interesting depending on what Corps you end up in but can be very degrading on the body i.e. injury. Also take into consideration the fact that once you are in and have your degree the Government expects their moneys worth out of you, after they have invested so much in you in the way of training. This means you end up with ROSO ( Return Of Service Obligation). In short you have a contract with the Government to serve for a certain number of years, the length of which is determined by what degree/qualifications you have gained. Expect between four and six years.
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Joining the defence Tue, 04 January 2005 13:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hodgie wrote on Tue, 04 January 2005 23:02

In short you have a contract with the Government to serve for a certain number of years, the length of which is determined by what degree/qualifications you have gained. Expect between four and six years.

i think he already knows that.

wouldnt you be required to serve 4 years, not 5?
Hodgie
Regular

February 2004
Re: Joining the defence Tue, 04 January 2005 14:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
STR8 2.8 wrote on Tue, 04 January 2005 23:56

Hodgie wrote on Tue, 04 January 2005 23:02

In short you have a contract with the Government to serve for a certain number of years, the length of which is determined by what degree/qualifications you have gained. Expect between four and six years.

i think he already knows that.

wouldnt you be required to serve 4 years, not 5?

Sorry, grammatical error. I mean 4 or 6 years.
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Joining the defence Tue, 04 January 2005 20:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool1 wrote on Tue, 04 January 2005 20:35

Army blows. Go either the air force or the navy. Army is last on the list Confused

2nd that.

At the interview board, they asked why I didn't apply for the Navy or Army. My reply was that I don't like being at sea fro 6 months and I don't like green.

I spent almost 12 years in the RAAF and enjoyed it, but it is not for everyone. Can't be too much of an individual.

Michael B
davedrifts
Regular

Banned User

September 2004
Re: Joining the defence Wed, 05 January 2005 03:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for your input guys. I don't think i'll be going navy, not real fond of bein out at sea. I would love to join the airforce however. I've never had much interest in it but that could change if i new what i would be doing...

[Updated on: Fri, 07 January 2005 00:04]

crazedrt104
Regular

March 2003
Re: Joining the defence Thu, 06 January 2005 02:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dave...ive spent near on 14 years in the navy with only 4 and a half at sea...really depends on what you are going to join up as.
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Joining the defence Tue, 11 January 2005 03:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am an aircraft structures engineer, working for a company that contracts to the air force and I see a lot of RAAF engineers that really aren't all that satisfied with the work they are doing. Don't get me wrong, the services are a great thing, but if you are doing engineering because you enjoy engineering, then I would look at doing your degree privately and then going into industry. A lot (not all though) of RAAF engineers end up in admin positions that have very little to do with engineering.

Having said that not too many companies are willing to pay you to go to uni though. You have to weigh up the pro's and cons yourself. For me I could see a lot a small pros and one big con.
TRD_Supra
Forums Junkie

On Probation

December 2004
Re: Joining the defence Wed, 12 January 2005 05:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Army is where its at... Navy is full of homo's and air force is full of soft cocks who aren't hard enough for the army. Personally i am in Artillery and its fuckign awesome we get to blow so much shit up!! GO ARMY..
The ARMY the EDGE!!!
Jason
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: Joining the defence Wed, 12 January 2005 05:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sigh that last post brings back images of Robin Williams in Good morning Vietnam. *sigh*

JUST MAKE IT LOUD OK
Hodgie
Regular

February 2004
Re: Joining the defence Wed, 12 January 2005 07:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Beware of career advice from dropshorts Razz . Just kidding TRD Supra.
Cyber-punk
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Joining the defence Thu, 13 January 2005 05:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
davedrifts wrote on Tue, 04 January 2005 19:29

For any of you who have been in or are in the defence forces this is a Q for you. I was thinking of joining the army after HSC so they would pay my way thru uni to do a mechanical engineering course. Now not being in the best shape i would have to do some work to pass the phsysicals and everything. Once i complete the uni course i would give them 5 years of my life and then off i go to do whatever the hell i want. My question is, would it be worth it? Is it worth going thru all of it just for the sake of a uni course?
thanks.

i was going to do this(adfa entry)
passed everything, was all set, and then i had to resit my eye exam without contacts...stuffed me up big time Neutral
couldnt get in and do what i wanted to do so now i'm doing an appretniceship
i'll probably finish this, travel for a bit and go to uni and apply for undergraduate entry(as in i do a year off my own back, apply, get in and then i do uni where i want, they pay me to do it then i join up proper like after my course)

oh and this time around i'd be going for the navy again(its in the blood...plus i like traveling) and doing either mechanical engineering.....or hopfully mechatronic engineering.
it can be rewarding, the military is full of bullshit though. be prepared to put up with alot of it. if you think highschool is bad the military is worse Wink
only perk is you get paid a reasonable salary. get free training of a high standard
plus it looks great on a resume` once you get out
Cyber-punk
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Joining the defence Thu, 13 January 2005 05:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
davedrifts wrote on Wed, 05 January 2005 13:47

Thanks for your input guys. I don't think i'll be going navy, not real fond of bein out at sea. I would love to join the airforce however. I've never had much interest in it but that could change if i new what i would be doing...

my old man was a stoker, he spent 25 years in the puss....and about 17 of that was at sea

btw davedrifts, if you have any questions about officer entry feel free to ask PM me
torque
Regular

May 2003
Re: Joining the defence Thu, 13 January 2005 09:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
25 years in puss? OMG!

hehe..

I like cheese also
davedrifts
Regular

Banned User

September 2004
Re: Joining the defence Thu, 13 January 2005 09:46 Go to previous message
hey Neutral im the one thats supposed to post crazy stupid shit on people threads...I've got competition
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:SA Bush Fires
Next Topic:who else rides those little 20inch bikes?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 07:34:44 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0056021213531494 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.