Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Squid
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Domain Names Tue, 04 January 2005 00:55 Go to next message
Ok I know this has been done a few times, but your creative juices may just inspire me.

I am looking to start an online pet supply business, and need a domain (and company) name. Any Ideas?

I was thinking www.epet.com.au but some bastard is stiin on that, maybe www.epet.net.au? But I would prefer a .com.au

Any ideas poeples? thanks in advance!
  Send a private message to this user    
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Domain Names Tue, 04 January 2005 01:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What about just a .com?
Squid
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: Domain Names Tue, 04 January 2005 01:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I would prefer a .com.au as i would be trading in Australia. I am particularly sceptical of 'Australian' companies running .com because in a lot of cases they aren't Australian.

I also feel that my customers would be happier to deal with a .au for similar reasons.
djcougar
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: Domain Names Tue, 04 January 2005 01:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what about e-pet.com.au?

only problem with that is that people may accidently go epet.com.au instead

i would proberly suggest think of something else.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Domain Names Tue, 04 January 2005 01:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Squid wrote on Tue, 04 January 2005 11:35

I would prefer a .com.au as i would be trading in Australia. I am particularly sceptical of 'Australian' companies running .com because in a lot of cases they aren't Australian.

I also feel that my customers would be happier to deal with a .au for similar reasons.

Most Australian companys are turning away from .com.au domains as they are being ripped off. I mean a .com domain is $7US a year and a .com.au is like $80AUS a year! How does that make sense? I mean a a .com.au is bassicly a sub-domain so it should be cheap.

I know what you mean though by having the .au making it look like an Australian company, but in the future .com will be the norm.
Squid
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: Domain Names Tue, 04 January 2005 01:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah don't like the risk of giving business to a competitior...
Squid
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: Domain Names Tue, 04 January 2005 01:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
From a customers perspective:

You know that with a .au the company is a registered Australian company and you can legally pursue them if the default on good etc.

with a .com, you don't have the same backup.

I wouldn't necessarily deal with an Australian company that is too tight to pay the extra $70 to give their customers that piece of mind...it is only $70 and it is a pre-tax expense!

[Updated on: Tue, 04 January 2005 01:51]

fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Domain Names Tue, 04 January 2005 17:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Squid wrote on Tue, 04 January 2005 12:51

From a customers perspective:

You know that with a .au the company is a registered Australian company and you can legally pursue them if the default on good etc.

with a .com, you don't have the same backup.

I wouldn't necessarily deal with an Australian company that is too tight to pay the extra $70 to give their customers that piece of mind...it is only $70 and it is a pre-tax expense!

your actually wrong in the sense that when trading through the net it doesnt matter what it says. i could be in america and get a ,au address, wheres the proof im a registered business in australia? the ABN should appear somewhere within the site (usually under the CONTACT US section). therefore with that they will know you are australian and will still be able to persue you if required.

also even if the company/business was overseas, they should still show the equivallent ABN for that country and due to international trading laws over the net you can still persue them if required... i would be more scared of a site without their ABN

also it is not about being tight but reasonable and sensible, Cool1 is right why the hell do we pay SOOOOO much more for .au? whats the justification?

in the business profile area oif you have one you can state your australian, on the first place you can state australian owned and based... but there is no real justification for having the .au... also it is easier with just .com. these days whenever typing in an address you just put .com

anyway do what you want but i wouldnt and dont pay the extra for my site... but to answer you Q how about:
- petsonline.com.au
- petsuppliesonline.com.au
- onlinepetssupplies.com.au
- petsupplies.com.au
- onestoppetshop.com.au
- thepetshop.com.au *
- petshop.com.au
- petsonly.com.au
- petsworld.com.au

man i could think of a million names with the word pet in it, though some are pretty long... the one with the * is good i recon
Squid
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: Domain Names Tue, 04 January 2005 20:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah I agree that www.thepetshop.com.au is good, currently tossing up between that and www.AussiePets.com.au

As for the .com .com.au debate, I want a .com.au as i believe it will make customers happier dealing with a .au. Considering that I am paying for it then I am happy to spend the extra $70.
djcougar
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: Domain Names Tue, 04 January 2005 21:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fade-e wrote on Wed, 05 January 2005 04:08

your actually wrong in the sense that when trading through the net it doesnt matter what it says. i could be in america and get a ,au address, wheres the proof im a registered business in australia? the ABN should appear somewhere within the site (usually under the CONTACT US section). therefore with that they will know you are australian and will still be able to persue you if required.

well acutally to acutally create a .com.au address you need to have a registered australian business as you cant register the domain without the ABN number. There is a whole check thing where when you request a .com.au address it then does a search on a goverment server or something and tracks down to see if the abn is correct and to the right contact and company name.

there is noway for a american to get a .com.au address
Squid
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: Domain Names Tue, 04 January 2005 21:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
djcougar wrote on Wed, 05 January 2005 08:10

fade-e wrote on Wed, 05 January 2005 04:08

well acutally to acutally create a .com.au address you need to have a registered australian business as you cant register the domain without the ABN number. There is a whole check thing where when you request a .com.au address it then does a search on a goverment server or something and tracks down to see if the abn is correct and to the right contact and company name.

there is noway for a american to get a .com.au address

What he said!!

(I just couldn't be bothered typing that out!)
jaikat
Regular

June 2004
Re: Domain Names Tue, 04 January 2005 21:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what about something that is as simple as:

www.mypet.com.au or www.yourpet.com.au
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Domain Names Wed, 05 January 2005 00:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
www.dogeatdog.com.au

www.catsndogs.com.au

www.dingostolemebaby.com.au
Squid
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: Domain Names Wed, 05 January 2005 01:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lol @ dingostolemybaby.com.au

surely someone would have that!! funny tho!

Not really the right company image tho!

I want to aviod any specific animal names as I want to cater to all pets!
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Domain Names Wed, 05 January 2005 01:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
THEPETHOUSE.COM.AU
joyride
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

January 2003
Re: Domain Names Wed, 05 January 2005 04:24 Go to previous message
www.doghouse.com.au

[Updated on: Wed, 05 January 2005 04:25]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:testing my avatar
Next Topic:*CHEAP* accomodation in Canberra - What's near Summernats?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 14 19:48:46 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.005803108215332 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.