Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » That Shell Helix 20-70 "sport/high revving" stuff

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
That Shell Helix 20-70 "sport/high revving" stuff Tue, 04 January 2005 05:12 Go to next message
so what's the deal?? it says on the packet..

"For high-revving engines"

but it's SO thick!

I run a 15-50 now.. and my mate with his 4age has this 20-70 stuff in and thinks it runs really smooth

any thoughts?

I am tempted to run it to see if it smooths it out a little at the top end
  Send a private message to this user    
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: That Shell Helix 20-70 "sport/high revving" stuff Tue, 04 January 2005 06:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Remember Penrite HPR15 is 15W60... and a lot of full synthetics are 10W60 or 5W60.
70 weight isn't really hugely thick.
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: That Shell Helix 20-70 "sport/high revving" stuff Tue, 04 January 2005 06:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Good stuff if you plan on pushing your car hard!
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: That Shell Helix 20-70 "sport/high revving" stuff Tue, 04 January 2005 06:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I guess 20 when cold ain't too bad for an older engine anyway
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: That Shell Helix 20-70 "sport/high revving" stuff Tue, 04 January 2005 07:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You would be silly if you gave your car a hard time before it got to operating temp anyways.
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: That Shell Helix 20-70 "sport/high revving" stuff Tue, 04 January 2005 07:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dont be forgetting that toobs sells gulf western oils too Wink

cheapa cheap
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: That Shell Helix 20-70 "sport/high revving" stuff Tue, 04 January 2005 07:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so the question then is, WHY OH WHY do shell have their "premium" oil a 5-40 recommended by Ferrari lol...

and their "sport" oil, a 20-70

I run a 15-50 and am wondering if I am missing the "protection" I need lol..

so confusing that they market the products similarly when they are so different
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: That Shell Helix 20-70 "sport/high revving" stuff Tue, 04 January 2005 07:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

You would be silly if you gave your car a hard time before it got to operating temp anyways.

yeah I was thinking more in terms of speed of delivery through engine when cold.. and thickness/volume through oil pump/clearances and all that when going hard and hot Smile

I don't know heaps about oil Neutral you probably noticed..

the gulf-western equivalent was 25-70 I think
allencr
Regular

May 2002
Re: That Shell Helix 20-70 "sport/high revving" stuff Tue, 04 January 2005 15:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no deal, just the advertising weasels knowing that higher numbers and BS terms & phrases have a great appeal to squirrels with beaters, and that it'll run on anything & will probably have a functioning relief valve.
plus, there is very little chance of liability when an old & thrashed engine fails.

my 2 pesos.
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: That Shell Helix 20-70 "sport/high revving" stuff Tue, 04 January 2005 23:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
allencr wrote on Wed, 05 January 2005 02:16

no deal, just the advertising weasels knowing that higher numbers and BS terms & phrases have a great appeal to squirrels with beaters, and that it'll run on anything & will probably have a functioning relief valve.
plus, there is very little chance of liability when an old & thrashed engine fails.

my 2 pesos.

You're not too far off... a lot of people who buy the thicker oils (and miracle additives) are slowly buying thicker and thicker oils to hide a problem or annoying sound they are hearing rather than fixing the problem properly.

e.g. someone with worn valve stem seals can go from a 40 weight oil to a 50 weight and hide the problem for a while... then when it starts happening on a 50 weight oil they go to a 60 and so on and so forth.

It goes the other way too... but with much more tragic results.

e.g. someone with a car that normally runs 50 weight oil puts 40 weight in it and notices their fuel efficiency improve so they decide to put some 30 weight in it.... the engines tolerances may be too wide to use 30 weight in our climate so oil pressure drops heavily and say good bye to your engine!

The most important thing AFAIC is warm up your engine before thrashing it... I don't mean don't move the car at all, just don't give it hell until its warm!
WantaTurbo
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: That Shell Helix 20-70 "sport/high revving" stuff Wed, 05 January 2005 03:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Im running full synthetic 5-30.... the engine only has 60k on it but am i running a too lean oil?
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: That Shell Helix 20-70 "sport/high revving" stuff Wed, 05 January 2005 14:40 Go to previous message
all this oil viscosity talk is scaring me! i was using 5w-50 for abit and noticed blue smoke on start up, so i switched to 10w-30 and the smoke whent away (valve stem seals no doubt). I chose 10w-30 becuase of the japanese sticker in the engine bay (could make out the 10w-30 bit)

hopefully tasmanian weather is simular to japanese Razz Confused

in any case i've not had any problems, and my oil pressure guage shows pressure so i will stop bieng scared. Cool
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Coilcover Q
Next Topic:Acceptable engine temperature for 7MGE
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 21 15:12:44 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.004734992980957 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.