Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Lotec
Occasional Poster

January 2005
2JZ-GTE Auto in a 71- 74 Crown Tue, 04 January 2005 04:50 Go to next message
hey guys.

i'm pretty new to toymods.

i've done a quick search and couldn't find anything.

but i was wondering if anybody had done this conversion, and if so, did they encounter any major problems with it?

cheers guys

-cameron
  Send a private message to this user    
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 2JZ-GTE Auto in a 71- 74 Crown Tue, 04 January 2005 05:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
For starters, you'll have the wrong bellhousing - you could (probably) use the bellhousing from any M series motor to A340 auto. Next problem is that you'll need the ECT ECU (and corresponding inputs) to make it shift properly - a little tricky. Without this ECU, it will shift 1-3-4. You could of course manualize it by using a couple of rotary switches. Do a search (here or on google) or email 'Allan' - he did such a thing with his 5M - A340 conversion.

As for the auto physically fitting in the Crown tranny tunnel, my auto was a very tight fit in an MS45. I think the MS65 has a slightly larger tranny tunnel but I can't be sure.

[Updated on: Tue, 04 January 2005 05:05]

Lotec
Occasional Poster

January 2005
Re: 2JZ-GTE Auto in a 71- 74 Crown Tue, 04 January 2005 05:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so the bellhousing from a m series box would fit onto a 2j's?

what exactly is an etc ecu? i'm guessing (in simple terms) the computer that runs the gearbox?

and is that what i would need to make the mseries bellhousing 'work' with the 2j box?
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 2JZ-GTE Auto in a 71- 74 Crown Tue, 04 January 2005 06:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lotec wrote on Tue, 04 January 2005 16:23

so the bellhousing from a m series box would fit onto a 2j's?

Probably, but you will need to check. Find a bellhousing from a 5/7MGE.

what exactly is an etc ecu? i'm guessing (in simple terms) the computer that runs the gearbox?

Correct.

and is that what i would need to make the mseries bellhousing 'work' with the 2j box?

Bolts.

You'll also need to check that the torque converter will bolt to the M series flex plate.

Wouldn't it be cheaper/easier to just get your 3 speed reconditioned?
Lotec
Occasional Poster

January 2005
Re: 2JZ-GTE Auto in a 71- 74 Crown Tue, 04 January 2005 06:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i was thinking that the 2j box would better use the full potential of the 2j with the box being a 4 speed :S

so a 7MGE auto would be similar performing cheaper alternative?

p.s. i haven't actually bought the car yet. i can pick one up in reasonably good nic for $500, but i am unsure whether it is auto/manual

i'm currently checking whether a conversion of this would be feasable for my budget. Smile

ChuckLandwehr
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 2JZ-GTE Auto in a 71- 74 Crown Tue, 04 January 2005 10:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lotec, source a front cut, then go to town on the Crown.

Any number of guys on these forums have a done multiple conversions, and will only be too pleased to help with advice.

have heaps of fun, Chuck.
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 2JZ-GTE Auto in a 71- 74 Crown Tue, 04 January 2005 22:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oops...now I get it. You want to put the whole 2JZGTE engine AND transmission into the Crown.

Ignore everything I have said thus far. I just thought you wanted to put a 4 speed auto behind your 2/4M. Embarassed

The main issue with the 2JZGTE you will have is the rear turbo fouling the steering box. You will need to source a JZS131 sump (good luck) or modify a JZA80/JZZ30 sump. Front sump is no good to you so if you get an Aristo front cut (generally cheaper) you will need another sump (you should be able to sell the front sump for good money). You'll need to make new engine mounts and gearbox crossmember. The wiring diagrams are in the tech docs section here. You'll need a tailshaft and the Borg Warner diffs in those things shit themselves plenty quick so you'll need to consider an upgrade. Thankfully an MS112 disc brake rear end bolts straight in. You'll need to modify the fuel system a taddle - I think the early MS65 had a return line so you should be OK with the usual lift pump - surge tank - EFI pump setup.

Anyway buy a halfcut and then people can start to give you a better idea.
Lotec
Occasional Poster

January 2005
Re: 2JZ-GTE Auto in a 71- 74 Crown Wed, 05 January 2005 04:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok guys, thanks for the help Smile

i'm gonna go ahead with the conversion, all i need is for the person i've got lined up to buy my 180sx to come thru with the money, and i'll be on my way... Smile

cheers guys Smile
Lotec
Occasional Poster

January 2005
Re: 2JZ-GTE Auto in a 71- 74 Crown Wed, 05 January 2005 04:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh also a quick question, would i be better off financially buying a 2jz-gte with gearbox and loom and sourcing all the bits and pieces i need after that, or getting an entire frontcut?

if it is the front cut, then a front cut of which car would be best? i see an aristo front cut mentioned (i had never even heard of an 'aristo' :S), and was wondering if this was due to being a cheaper cut? or the parts will fit better in the crown?

cheers Smile

-cameron
thetoyman75
Forums Junkie

Club President
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 2JZ-GTE Auto in a 71- 74 Crown Wed, 05 January 2005 08:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lotec,

If you do decide to go ahead with this then we need to keep in touch. The conversion you have mentioned is very near the top of my list for my own MS63 wagon or MS65 pending my prefered option and vehicle storage space. Ideally I have an N/A engine planned for the wagon but a Tuff MS65 is very 2JZ-GTE friendly assuming I can support and house 3 project cars.....( Please don't let Kirtsy read that lol)

My TA22 always gets pride of place so if rooms an issue once the MS63 is finished my MS65 will have to go Sad altho I am more thanjust a little attached to the old girl.

Keep me informed, 2JZ-GTE info I am scarce on but the MS65 i know my way around rather well Smile

But anyway, welcome to the forums Smile

[Updated on: Wed, 05 January 2005 08:14]

Lotec
Occasional Poster

January 2005
Re: 2JZ-GTE Auto in a 71- 74 Crown Thu, 06 January 2005 04:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Smile Cool stuff mate.

Undoubtably i will be in contact with a few q's hehe Smile
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 2JZ-GTE Auto in a 71- 74 Crown Fri, 07 January 2005 01:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1. Definitely get a front cut. You'll be kicking yourself later on if you don't.

2. The Aristo is the JDM equivalent of the Lexus GS300, and it's available with the 2JZ-GTE engine. Provided you want an auto transmission, an Aristo front cut is the same as a Supra front cut for much less money.
Lotec
Occasional Poster

January 2005
Re: 2JZ-GTE Auto in a 71- 74 Crown Fri, 07 January 2005 04:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ahh, awesome. yeah i googled aristo and put 2 and 2 together with the gs 300. such a shame the australian delivered model doesn't come with the 2jz.

So it's cheaper than the supra front cut? is this due to them being auto? i thought it would be more expensive in general, due to being out of a newer car, and probably having not been driven as hard cuz it's from more of a luxery car... :S

oh well, going off topic here hehe

thanks again guys Smile
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 2JZ-GTE Auto in a 71- 74 Crown Fri, 07 January 2005 05:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Aristo's date back to the beginning of 2JZ production (I have one of the first ones), so I don't know why you think they're newer. The Supra cuts are more expensive because (I suspect) the engine importers can get away with it, ie better brand recognition with the Supra.
Lotec
Occasional Poster

January 2005
Re: 2JZ-GTE Auto in a 71- 74 Crown Fri, 07 January 2005 05:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ahh, ok cheers Smile

for some reason, i thought the gs 300 began production in 98 or there abouts :S

hehe Rolling Eyes
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 2JZ-GTE Auto in a 71- 74 Crown Fri, 07 January 2005 06:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, that's when they first started selling them here, but they were available in Japan and elsewhere long before that. The front cut I bought was a ~93 model 140 series Aristo (JZS147), but we never got that generation at all; the first Lexus GS we saw was the 160 series (JZS161 I think).
Lotec
Occasional Poster

January 2005
Re: 2JZ-GTE Auto in a 71- 74 Crown Fri, 07 January 2005 06:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ahh ok, sweet as..

just out of curiosity, how much did your front cut cost?
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 2JZ-GTE Auto in a 71- 74 Crown Fri, 07 January 2005 08:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
$2900, but this was over 2 years ago so don't expect to get one that cheap any more!
Lotec
Occasional Poster

January 2005
Re: 2JZ-GTE Auto in a 71- 74 Crown Sat, 08 January 2005 03:31 Go to previous message
ahh, ok, so what are the prices of them up to now?

i can't see any aristo cuts listed on importers websites. :S
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:urgent :: f series axle/ae86
Next Topic:BOV's
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri May 3 16:02:04 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0074560642242432 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.