Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Acceptable engine temperature for 7MGE

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Acceptable engine temperature for 7MGE Sun, 02 January 2005 03:32 Go to next message
I have installed a pair of Magna thermofans in my Cressida and instead of using the Davies Craig thermoswitch thingo that they sell for $60 (or whatever) I used the thermoswitch from a Camry. This is all fine because it screws into the thermostat housing easily and it cost me nothing (5 finger discount at the wreckers Wink).

The problem is that the Camry switch is designed to switch on the fans at a lower temp than the original 7MGE clutchfan would. The thermostat I have is still the original (higher temp) one and so the two things are working against each other all the time. ie: The themoswitch is always trying to cool the engine while the thermostat is trying to keep it warm.

The difference between the two is only about 5º-10º so I was wondering if I could put the matching Camry thermostat in and run the engine at the lower temp? Is there any problem with running the engine at say 84º-88º instead of the factory standard 90º-92º?

Bottom line is, the engine is currently running at the proper temp but I am losing most of the benifits of the thermos because they are switched on a lot longer than they need to be. I want to keep the Camry switch (looks neat, free, doesn't need adjusting) if I can but I don't want to cause my engine any harm by running it at a lower than normal temp. Any advice or suggestions are welcome.

http://img76.exs.cx/img76/5696/12343yv.jpg
This is a pic of my fans and the Camry switch I am talking about is encircled.
  Send a private message to this user    
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Acceptable engine temperature for 7MGE Mon, 03 January 2005 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So I take it from people's silence that there is no problem with me sticking the lower temp thermostat in the 7MGE? Confused
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Acceptable engine temperature for 7MGE Tue, 04 January 2005 12:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
90" a stock 3Sfe thermo switch switches the fans on at...and thats what im using on my 7m supra...it works bootifully...dont stuff around with something at a lower temperature...

[Updated on: Tue, 04 January 2005 12:09]

SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Acceptable engine temperature for 7MGE Wed, 05 January 2005 02:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So 90º is the standard temp for a 7MGE?

If I took the switch out of a mid to late 80's Camry would that mean I took it from a 3SFE? If that's the case then there's no need to change anything. Smile

PS: to type the degrees symbol (º) hold alt while typing 167 and there you have it. Wink
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Acceptable engine temperature for 7MGE Wed, 05 January 2005 13:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what you are using is what i am using Smile leave it alone...
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Acceptable engine temperature for 7MGE Wed, 05 January 2005 14:18 Go to previous message
aye aye captain birdseye!

errr, i mean, ok. Very Happy
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:That Shell Helix 20-70 "sport/high revving" stuff
Next Topic:T04B25..anyone know specs of one of these puppies?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 8 05:58:05 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0042479038238525 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.