Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
jesseT18
Forums Junkie

February 2004
RPM for 2tg hybrid Tue, 04 January 2005 11:29 Go to next message
where abouts would be a suitable place for a 2tg hybrid to make peak power?
my dyno tuner set mine to peak at 6400rpm, would it be safe to take it much past there?

cheers, jesse
  Send a private message to this user    
jesseT18
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: RPM for 2tg hybrid Wed, 05 January 2005 01:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bump
styler
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: RPM for 2tg hybrid Wed, 05 January 2005 01:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

iv taken mine to 8000 Very Happy
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: RPM for 2tg hybrid Wed, 05 January 2005 03:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if peak power is at 6400 why take i any higher?
SIKTA22
Regular

March 2003
Re: RPM for 2tg hybrid Wed, 05 January 2005 03:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
depends what has been done to the engine, if you have larger cams the power band is going to change, so id run your car on the dyno again and keep it punted until it reaches its limit then back off isnt that how its done? then just tweak little things like timing and fuel mixtures etc etc and repeat the process again til your satisfied.. correct me if im wrong.

cheers.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: RPM for 2tg hybrid Wed, 05 January 2005 04:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thechuckster wrote on Wed, 05 January 2005 11:14

if peak power is at 6400 why take i any higher?

Coz you don't change gears at peak power.

You change them so that you hold as much power through the gears.

Lets assume that 6400 is 100% power
also assume that 7400 is 80% power
and 5400 is 80% power
and 4400 is 60% power

Changing gear at 6400 will drop you to 4400 which is 60% power.
Changing gear at 7400 will drop you to 5400 which is 80% power and keep you in the power band better.
thetoyman75
Forums Junkie

Club President
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: RPM for 2tg hybrid Wed, 05 January 2005 04:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jesse,

Your tune is not what defines peak power. It is defined by the mechanical components of the engine itself. This is mostly set buy the Cams and the cam timing. Your dizzy graphing and base timing will impact on this as well.

If you want to alter the peak power point you need to change your cams or adjust your cam timing.

SIKTA22,

Mate your general understandiong is kinda ontrack in the loosest sence possible, The teck and conversions section is taken pretty seriously round here so if your not sure at least indicate in your post that your really not sure or just watch and learn. Smile

Jesse's car has already been Dyno tuned. If he wants more top end power, it needs mechanical changes and THEN redyno tuning. A dyno tuner can only make what he is given worjk to the best of its ability. The engine has to be built right first.
jesseT18
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: RPM for 2tg hybrid Wed, 05 January 2005 08:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks rod, i should have made my original post a bit more technical, i was asking for useless feedback!

when i got it dyno tuned i asked frank to play with the cam timing for me which im sure he did because peak power was around 5000rpm when i took it in to him, 6400rpm when i got it back.
the engine is built properly, i'de be happy to take it up to the RPM everyone else is, only real let down is the stock 2tg flywheel.
i've got 288 degree cams, the way i understand it i can retard intake cam and advance exhuast cam slightly and that will put my power band up higher because i have increased overlap.
but i dont want to do this if the 3t bottom end wont be happy revving any higher than 6400rpm
if tuned properly the same engine would produce more power around 7000rpm wouldnt it?
i understand it would be sacrifincg low down power, and if i made cam timing adjustments i'de definately be tuning the rest again to match.

thanks guys, jesse

[Updated on: Wed, 05 January 2005 08:56]

CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: RPM for 2tg hybrid Wed, 05 January 2005 08:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The position of peak power depends on the cams as Rod said.

EDIT: And by this you need a dyno to test.

[Updated on: Wed, 05 January 2005 08:56]

thetoyman75
Forums Junkie

Club President
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: RPM for 2tg hybrid Wed, 05 January 2005 21:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jesse,

If your Cams have been set so peak power is at 6400RPM then that is most likely there optimal setting. You don't want your car to be a dowey shitbox at low RPM unless it actually has BIG cams and will generate a large amount of mid range and high rpm. The biggest number on a Dyno graph, doesn't equal the fastest car on the street.

The T series bottom end should have no trouble at all with regular 7500RPM shifts and even the odd buzz to the 8000rpm should be fine assuming you use a good quality oil with regular changes.

jesseT18
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: RPM for 2tg hybrid Wed, 05 January 2005 22:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rightio i guess i'de be best off leaving it the way it is then
theres a dramatic drop in power after 6400rpm the car actually slows down a lot all your weight shifts forward again, so there would definately be no point taking it past there at all
kind of annoying as its handy sometime to be able to rev a gear out a little bit longer then usual when your driving hard, like around a big corner

thanks guys!
CelicaRA45
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: RPM for 2tg hybrid Thu, 06 January 2005 00:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
also just anote is it a chassis dyno or engine dyno ,had my engine dynoed at motec made max hp at 7900 rpm ,then put it on a chassis dyno max hp on there dyno was 7400 ,so going by this if yours is a chassis 1 you can put another 500plus rpm on your engine and a guy at motec told me thats the difference between the 2
jesseT18
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: RPM for 2tg hybrid Thu, 06 January 2005 06:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chassis dyno
CelicaRA45
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: RPM for 2tg hybrid Thu, 06 January 2005 06:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so your motor makes max power at 6900 rpm then
jesseT18
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: RPM for 2tg hybrid Thu, 06 January 2005 06:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i dont really care where the motor makes peak power when its out of the car, my CAR makes peak power at 6400 and i think it might wanna have the overlap to go a little higher!
CelicaRA45
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: RPM for 2tg hybrid Thu, 06 January 2005 06:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
listen what im trying to tell you your engine make max power at 6900 not 6400 like on the chassis dyno they are always out by about 500rpm with the ramp up and down ,so anytime you get a chassis dyno always put 500rpm on top that you get ,the guy did tell why but i cant remember some thing to do with wheel slip and tractive effort
jesseT18
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: RPM for 2tg hybrid Thu, 06 January 2005 06:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it makes peak power on the road at 6400rpm too, i dont need a dyno to tell me this, you can feel it! instant decrease in power as soon as i go over 6400
CelicaRA45
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: RPM for 2tg hybrid Thu, 06 January 2005 07:44 Go to previous message
get your tacho checked as well most of them are out to the shit house
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:20v ae86 water temp.
Next Topic:Removing engine and g/box from RAV4 (3S-GTE)
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 13 12:10:18 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0049479007720947 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.