Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
jesseT18
Forums Junkie

February 2004
remote keyless entry Tue, 04 January 2005 01:50 Go to next message
has anyone installed this?
i've heard its pretty easy to do
and any recommendations to any particular brands?
of what ive seen i should be able to get a decent 2 door kit for around $100
  Send a private message to this user    
chrishulbert
Regular

March 2003
Re: remote keyless entry Tue, 04 January 2005 02:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes i've done it a few times, its easy and i wouldn't mind helping you.
I've installed the dick smith ones in 3 of my cars - they work alright, just MAKE SURE you install it in the cabin, otherwise the water kills the circuitry.
And the jaycar ones automatically arm if you don't start the car, which can be frustrating although it *is* more secure.
Oh and check your PM about that carby!
shaneblack
Occasional Poster

October 2004
Re: remote keyless entry Tue, 04 January 2005 06:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I installed one a while back and it wasn't too difficult. The only hassle I had was the battery life in the remote was crap (Needed replacing every month). I can't remember the brand but I bought it at Straithfield Car Radios. The Mongoose unit I had in my last car was much better. Some other people may be able to suggest others that have good or bad battery life.
jesseT18
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: remote keyless entry Tue, 04 January 2005 07:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think ill go all out and buy the hole alarm system

http://www1.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=LA897 0&CATID=6&keywords=&SPECIAL=&form= CAT&ProdCodeOnly=&Keyword1=&Keyword2=& amp;pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SU BCATID=640

jesseT18
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: remote keyless entry Tue, 04 January 2005 07:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HMMMMMMM it seems that's just a immobiliser as well, i dont feel i need one of them and all this arming and dis-arming crap
i cant seem to find a remote central locking kit anywhere though
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: remote keyless entry Tue, 04 January 2005 07:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you just buy an alarm with central locking wiring dude ..

in my ta22 i got a black widow setup - it had the extra wires needed just to hook up the Centrasl locking solenoids ..

piss easy
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: remote keyless entry Tue, 04 January 2005 12:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jaycar sells a simple remote central locking gear.

I use one of these:
http://www1.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=LR883

and one of these:
http://www1.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=LR881 2

Easy enough to install.
The remote batteries last a long time (6 months and still going), and have a good range (>50m).
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: remote keyless entry Tue, 04 January 2005 12:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have got the locking solenoids from a MX62 cressida for my RA40 celica, just had to drill a couple holes in the door and weld rods connecting the solenoids to the locking mechanism. i will probly be needing and kit like that as well

brett
jesseT18
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: remote keyless entry Tue, 04 January 2005 12:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
your first link woudlnt come up for me

looks like a friend can throw me a central locking kit, and then i can buy something like this to control it all

http://www1.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=LA897 0&CATID=6&keywords=&SPECIAL=&form= CAT&ProdCodeOnly=&Keyword1=&Keyword2=& amp;pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SU BCATID=640

looks good enough??
cheers everyone, jesse
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: remote keyless entry Tue, 04 January 2005 13:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i just installed a jaycar immobiliser (the black wire one) along with an old DSE central locking kit.
was pretty easy to fit the locks, even in a KE15.

that the imm rearms with not starting is ok, as it doesn't rearm the alarm itself or lock the doors.. thought it would be an issue but isn't..

and i just love not having to use a key when shopping Very Happy

gets some funny looks.. shitty old car with remote locking Wink

Cya, Stewart
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: remote keyless entry Tue, 04 January 2005 13:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oops.

This is it:
http://www1.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=LR883 1

Quote:

gets some funny looks.. shitty old car with remote locking

Hehe, yeh i get that too Wink

I had to install mine as my door locks are screwed and i couldnt lock my Corona.

[Updated on: Tue, 04 January 2005 13:46]

pr1nce
Regular

April 2004
Re: remote keyless entry Tue, 04 January 2005 13:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so what do the jay car kits do?
open and lock the doors right?
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: remote keyless entry Wed, 05 January 2005 12:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've installed a few of these. Last one was on my KE70, using a dick smith central locking kit that cost all of $23. For a remote I've used the Jaycar remote kit a few times, never had any issues with it. I reckon for the price, almost any car deserves it!
jkvsnn
Regular

June 2002
Re: remote keyless entry Wed, 05 January 2005 13:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I always thought the cental locking kits looked like they would be a bastard to install. None of you guys that have actually installed them seem to be saying its a bastard of a job. What do you fix the solenoids to? do you have to make a custom bracket?
it's tempting for the AE92...

Julian
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: remote keyless entry Wed, 05 January 2005 13:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I put one in my sisters AE92 years ago, when I was 12, and had no problems. The last one I put in my KE70 took about an hour all up. The motors (they're not actually solonoids in this case!) are held on by two self tappers - sounds rough, but works surprisingly well. Go buy the kit, have a good look at it, and it pretty much explains itself.
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: remote keyless entry Thu, 06 January 2005 00:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
in an AE92 the only annoying thing is getting the motors in the rear doors to clear the window and actuate cleanly onto the lock/unlock rod.

TO do this mount them horizontally acroos the gap in the top rear corner of the door using the metal strap they come with. Make sue that the motor actuates in a direction PARALLEL to the movement of the locking rod in the door. You can bend the rod to whatever angles you need, just make sure the motor moves in the same direction else you get issues.

Yes its pretty easy if you think about it before going ahead and mounting the lot.
jkvsnn
Regular

June 2002
Re: remote keyless entry Thu, 06 January 2005 09:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks,
Looks like I'll refile this "upgrade" out of the "later" pile and into the "sooner" pile.

Cheers,
Julian.
Azrael
Regular

September 2003
Re: remote keyless entry Thu, 06 January 2005 21:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm having a bit of an issue with my central locking which you may want to consider when you're putting yours in too. As I've removed the locks from the doors and bogged them over I'm dependant on the solenoids working, which they're starting not to. This, I think, is due to the locking mechanisms being a bit gunked up, so you may want to consider giving your locks a bit of a clean and grease while you've got the door cards off.
jesseT18
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: remote keyless entry Thu, 20 January 2005 07:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok ive got a central locking kit now, and a immobiliser with the remotes Very Happy
just need to wire it all up now
wheres a popular place to mount this little black boxes?
RA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: remote keyless entry Thu, 20 January 2005 10:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The black boxes hiding the circuitry? I put themn under the glove box usually, or in the passenger kick panel.

Just make sure you think out the central locking motor placement cause if it is on too much of an angle to the lock rod then it'll bind. Make sure the motor operates in a direction parallal to the rod you're attaching it to. The hardest thing is to find a place that it'll fit inside the door.

Tim.
jesseT18
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: remote keyless entry Sun, 23 January 2005 07:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i managed to fit the central locking circuitry box AND the remote central locking circitry box both in the drivers side kick panel,
im about 80% through the wireing, im just having a little trouble finding the indicator/starter motor wires Crying or Very Sad
im pretty stolked with it so far, the little light is flashing and turning on/off with the remotes, from about 15 metres away! Very Happy
its immobilising the fuel pump lead, but its not unimmobilising it! hope its alright once ive finshed the wireing, the only real important wires i havent connected yet are the ignition wire and the door wire

im yet to mount the motors in the doors, but it looks like theres a neat little spot waiting for them in the bottom corner of the doors.

[Updated on: Sun, 23 January 2005 08:11]

Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: remote keyless entry Sun, 23 January 2005 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
In most cases the relay gets its power from the ignition so if you haven't hooked up the ignition wire it will be permanently immobilised.

Or at least the alarm will not close the relay until the ignition is turned on.
RA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: remote keyless entry Sun, 23 January 2005 10:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It probably should be closing the fuel pump circuit (within the alarm itself) when you turn the alarm off. But cause it doesn't have the IGN signal then it will auto arm after 30 seconds or so.

Just wait till you've got it wired yup and then worry about the problems.

Tim.
poh_86
Regular

November 2004
Re: remote keyless entry Sun, 23 January 2005 23:38 Go to previous message
which is the better alarm? the jay car one or the mongoose m20?

i presume the jaycar one because it has black wiring and is aus/nz certified?
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Levin to a Trueno
Next Topic:Vacumn advance question, 18r-c dizzy
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 05:35:40 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0074460506439209 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.