Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
74gt
Regular

October 2004
2T mods Wed, 05 January 2005 02:53 Go to next message
I'm not them most technically minded person when it comes to engines, but I was wondering

a) how much $$$ I would be looking at if I had a reconditioned 2T engine ported and polished as well as having the valve seats hardened + whatever else needs to be done to convert a leaded petrol engine to run on unleaded?

b) is this actually possible or am I just talking gibberish Confused
  Send a private message to this user    
SIKTA22
Regular

March 2003
Re: 2T mods Wed, 05 January 2005 03:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it is possible, it would be also expensive unless your mates are in the industry, but it would be a wiser choice for you to get yourself a 2TGEU or a 2TG with the later model head as they can accept unleaded fuel without doing anything to the head. i wouldnt waste time on a 2T for that, unless you really want to..

cheers.
74gt
Regular

October 2004
Re: 2T mods Wed, 05 January 2005 06:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What do you think a ball park figure would be to do the conversion + port and polish?
forced_induction
Regular

August 2004
Re: 2T mods Wed, 05 January 2005 07:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey mate. its tom from year 11..(or is that 12 now?)
im runnin my 2t on premium and adding some octane booster with upper cylinder limit stuff in it and it runs just fine. mat from yr 11 works at super cheap and u can get a bottle of the stuff for 15 or 20 bucks i think

tom
greenta22
Regular

July 2004
Re: 2T mods Wed, 05 January 2005 09:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ive been using premium + Flashlube in mine, but ive also heard that 2T's are ok to run on normal unleaded. pretty sure theres a thread on here with some related info, try a search.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 2T mods Wed, 05 January 2005 10:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
2T's do not require lead (or that lead-replacement crap), so run it on unleaded fuel and all will be well - just make sure you use the higher octane stuff.

As for rebuilding your 2T with a port and polish (do you even know what that does or why you think you need it?), it will cost way more than it's worth. You could very easily spend over $3k and end up with not much more than 100hp, and you'll be pissed off when a stock Hyundai wipes the floor with you. Your money could be better spent elsewhere...
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 2T mods Wed, 05 January 2005 10:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Actually youll wipe the floor with the stock hyundai - but sound better and look way cooler than some korean shoebox Smile

but if you have the choice of repair or replace - i pick replace - with something twincam - namely a 2tg or 2tgeu if you have that option and budget

A swap to geu wont cost all that much more all up than recoing the 2t as you mention

Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 2T mods Wed, 05 January 2005 12:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Classique71 wrote on Wed, 05 January 2005 20:42

Actually youll wipe the floor with the stock hyundai - but sound better and look way cooler than some korean shoebox Smile

With a stock 2T with a "port and polish" and nothing else? Dream on. Smile
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: 2T mods Wed, 05 January 2005 13:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mate one engine model is all i got to say... 2TG... if you dont want to mess around with wiring and ECUs then get it with side draughts, its a straight bolt in, so pull 2T out and put 2TG in... not sure bout exhaust though buteither way what you recon is easier

also the amount of mods you can do with the 2TG is 10x more than 2T and the with the final power output, theres no need for thought

with port and polish on a 2T you WILL NOT get any benefit at all, keep in mind that it has a piss ass tiny carby
74gt
Regular

October 2004
Re: 2T mods Wed, 05 January 2005 14:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think the problem here is that I have too many options... Crying or Very Sad (giving me a headache)

Those are some very discouraging port and polish words people seem to have. Perhaps someone might have a head that's already been ported and polished and want to sell???

As for an engine transplant, I don't particularly want to get into that sort of thing at the moment. Too much work! + $$$ + the 2T engine I'm talking about, is a reconditioned one in a 2nd celica I bought specially for the engine. So I don't want to go searching for a 2TG when I have a perfectly good 2T lying around. As well as the fact that although lots of power is nice to have, I'm not really into it...yet.

BTW Tom in year 11 now 12 Laughing you just reminded me I should post those pics of the 3 TA22s up ...anyway... remember the black RA23 with the 18R-GU? Well I was talking to the guy that owns it today and he just bought a 2JZ for it Shocked Totally irrelevant to this topic, but interesting news none the less.
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: 2T mods Wed, 05 January 2005 15:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mate yu will find that no one has one and no one has done it... it is just not worth it... if your gonna get some one to do it for you then your gonna end up paying bout $300 to get it done... that covers $100 for the port and polish, $100 for head shave/pressure test and basically a full check up and then $100 in gaskets and getting the head back on...

now that should be top end pricing so you might find it cheaper but by no more than $50... for that amount of money you are better off leaving the head how and where it is and just get a pair of side draught webers and throw them on... it will cost the same and give better power output...

since i dont know your depth of knowledge i wanna ask do you know why people do a port and polish? you seem so adament in getting it done without a solid reason behind it... dont get me wrong its your car and your money and what ever you ask we here on the mods will be more than happy to help out a fellow modder but as you can see every reply has been basically stating not to do it...

your money would be better spent on side draughts or extractors or even boring the stock carby would be better than a port and polish on that motor... also on that motor if you spend the $250 odd for the port and polish you will literally only get 1rwkw out of it! probably not even cause a port and polish produces better response under acceleration, ie, instead of taking 1 second for fuel to get in the motor it will take .9 seconds (these are hypethetical numbers but the idea is the same)

power is produced by the amount of fuel and air released in the cylinder followed by the compression and the spark produced. a port and polish increase the rate at whicj fuel and air goes in and fumes get out and does not increase the volumes. it is only suitable for drag and race conditions and even then you will find that a MILD port and polish is done

anyway at the end of the day you do what you want anf good luck with it
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 2T mods Thu, 06 January 2005 01:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
he could lay the seat back and play europop Smile

then again i keep forgetting mine was a shade warmer than a port + polish job
7mgtema71
Regular

May 2002
Re: 2T mods Thu, 06 January 2005 02:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I slightly disagree with fade-e's comments as a mild port and polish, a mild cam, a clean flowing exhaust and a decent intake (maybe 2T-B down drafts), would definitely make at least 20% more power than the stock 2T produces. But then again it would only bring it up to the 2TG standard, and you'd be set back at least $1500 if done properly.

I'd recommend to install a decent 2TG already cleaned up with ported head, larger cams, and possibly EFI. They seem to pop up here on the for sale section regularly enough to be able to choose between two or more at one time.
riceburna73
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: 2T mods Thu, 06 January 2005 03:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My dad went down this road back in the days when 2tgs were hard to come by,it ads a little performance and certainly runs alot smoother but I would recomend getting a 2tg,problem is finding one that hasnt been arse raped by now is tough for the money I predict you would want to spend...Oh if some of the other guys I have spoken to dont end up buying my 2t I have one with all the mods already,so ill Pm you when the time comes if ya like!

[Updated on: Thu, 06 January 2005 03:40]

Azrael
Regular

September 2003
Re: 2T mods Thu, 06 January 2005 21:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmm if you're adamant about putting in the recoed 2T you should have a talk to Phil in the CCG (PM me if you want his number) as he's got a 2TB Twin Carbie set up for sale which would give you some heaps better power... Still bang for buck you can't get past a 2TG, and trust me you don't need a lot of experience to put one in a 22. Just and engine hoist and the phone number of someone whos done it before and is willing to help... Hmm like me Rolling Eyes
k@z3
Occasional Poster

January 2005
Re: 2T mods Fri, 07 January 2005 02:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You could always get a 3T engine from a toyota T-18 and fit the crank and rods to your 2T. This upgrades your engine to a 1.8 instead of a 1.6 and with a set of extractors, a 2 inch exhaust system with no resonator and a sports muffler, double valve springs and maybe a 32/36 down draft weber carby (from a gt cortina or the like) with a ramflow ait filter will get your baby cooking pretty well. there are instructions avaliable for the mod, i can send you the link if you send me an email

Cheers

Stevie K
Cool Cool Cool
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: 2T mods Fri, 07 January 2005 08:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
7mgtema71 wrote on Thu, 06 January 2005 13:39

I slightly disagree with fade-e's comments as a mild port and polish, a mild cam, a clean flowing exhaust and a decent intake (maybe 2T-B down drafts), would definitely make at least 20% more power than the stock 2T produces. But then again it would only bring it up to the 2TG standard, and you'd be set back at least $1500 if done properly.

I'd recommend to install a decent 2TG already cleaned up with ported head, larger cams, and possibly EFI. They seem to pop up here on the for sale section regularly enough to be able to choose between two or more at one time.

if he does all the mods then there is significant power gains but he only wants a port and polish and nothing else from what i gather... but if does the port and cams and side draughts then fine but its still not worth it cause as you said it will only get 2TG power values
fangsport
Regular

January 2004
Re: 2T mods Sat, 08 January 2005 05:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
k@z3 wrote on Fri, 07 January 2005 15:33

You could always get a 3T engine from a toyota T-18 and fit the crank and rods to your 2T. This upgrades your engine to a 1.8 instead of a 1.6 and with a set of extractors, a 2 inch exhaust system with no resonator and a sports muffler, double valve springs and maybe a 32/36 down draft weber carby (from a gt cortina or the like) with a ramflow ait filter will get your baby cooking pretty well. there are instructions avaliable for the mod, i can send you the link if you send me an email

Cheers

Stevie K
Cool Cool Cool

why fit a 3-T crank into a 2-T to create a 3-T? dosn't make sense.

the 2-T will respond well to a P+P if the cam has been done and either twin factory carbs or a weber d/draft have been fitted.
why do people believe the pushrod version is inferior when they flow the same as the twin-cam, and is heavier with move rotating masses
Moonbreaker
Occasional Poster

October 2003
Re: 2T mods Sat, 08 January 2005 10:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
for a direct drop in of a 3t crank thats 200cc extra dispalcement not bad for a cheap upgrade imho
Purple_Beasty
Regular

May 2002
Re: 2T mods Sat, 08 January 2005 11:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Moonbreaker wrote on Sat, 08 January 2005 23:42

for a direct drop in of a 3t crank thats 200cc extra dispalcement not bad for a cheap upgrade imho

Probably easier just to mod the 3T though. Mostly this is just done with the 2TG head, the 2T and 3T heads are basically the same so there is no benefit. Not to mention you are likely to need to clearance the block.

Callum
fangsport
Regular

January 2004
Re: 2T mods Sat, 08 January 2005 19:44 Go to previous message
Moonbreaker wrote on Sat, 08 January 2005 23:42

so are you guys blind to the notion of putting the 3-T engine in, or just trying to fool the guy that puts the RWC on the car? BTW it's not just the crank that needs to be swapped, the pistons will need to be carried across as well and , depending on the 2-T block, may need to have the bottom of the bore scalloped out to clear the shoulders on the con-rods to allow for the extra throw. SO I REPEAT, JUST USE THE 3-T ENGINE !!!

my engine builder has flowed all the T-series heads and the is no difference between the t/c and pushrod heads and due less rotating mass the push-rod engine will respond better to mods and will be far cheaper to attain decent gains.180 HP on carbs,isn't that expensive to get out of the pushrod donk if you know where get the gains.

[Updated on: Sat, 08 January 2005 19:46]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Drum brake to Disk What are my options
Next Topic:RT104 Diff into TA22 - Possible?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 21:17:23 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0077459812164307 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.