Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
JustenGT4
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Strongest gear in a W58 Fri, 07 January 2005 00:45 Go to next message
I'm just doing some basic mixture testing in the red beast and with the gearbox already on the limit i don't want to stress it too much.

For those that have had a W58 apart which gear would you reckon is the strongest to do straight test pulls in.

I'm thinking 2nd or 3rd....probably 2nd
  Send a private message to this user    
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Strongest gear in a W58 Fri, 07 January 2005 00:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4th puts the least lateral stress on a box as there is no torque multiplication.

Something to think about.
JustenGT4
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Strongest gear in a W58 Fri, 07 January 2005 01:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Good point, although 4th also has the highest torque loadings because of the gearing. You are at the higher loadings for longer so increased stress because of that as well ?

It's a toughie, i really don't want to break this box as it's currently in good nick and i'll be pulling it as soon as i can find the time.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Strongest gear in a W58 Fri, 07 January 2005 01:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'd just be changing it to the R154 asap.
Or V160, whatever you have planned.

Don't do any harsh running with this box.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Strongest gear in a W58 Fri, 07 January 2005 01:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4th would have to be strongest for sure - it's not even a gear as such, it just locks the input shaft and the output shaft together.
Steve_Reynolds
Regular

May 2002
Re: Strongest gear in a W58 Fri, 07 January 2005 01:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As noribe said above, definitely 4th as it's straight through.
JustenGT4
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Strongest gear in a W58 Fri, 07 January 2005 02:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The R154 swap asap was/is the plan but even though i have the box there's no way i'll get it in before the 22.

4th gear and touch wood i guess....plus a straight stretch of cop free road Smile
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Strongest gear in a W58 Fri, 07 January 2005 02:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JustenGT4 wrote on Fri, 07 January 2005 10:01

4th gear and touch wood i guess....plus a straight stretch of cop free road Smile

Or a dyno?
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Strongest gear in a W58 Fri, 07 January 2005 02:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JustenGT4 wrote on Fri, 07 January 2005 13:01

The R154 swap asap was/is the plan but even though i have the box there's no way i'll get it in before the 22.

Can I be a passenger and hold the computer Shocked
JustenGT4
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Strongest gear in a W58 Fri, 07 January 2005 02:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A dyno...where's the fun in that Smile

Actually there's just no time and for something relatively simple like this it's a bit too much hassle. There's some safe roads around that i use for this type of testing so a road test is sweet.

Get on the next plane Michael Smile
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Strongest gear in a W58 Fri, 07 January 2005 02:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JustenGT4 wrote on Fri, 07 January 2005 13:46

Get on the next plane Michael Smile

Dubbo is the most likely time.....

I'm working on it, trust me ... Very Happy
JustenGT4
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Strongest gear in a W58 Fri, 07 January 2005 03:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dubbo is dead...it's now Tamworth which to just too far to bother with....not to mention the cost. Ballpark $500 for the weekend and that doesn't include piss so looks like i'm out.

Could be another do on in Syd so hopefully i can make that with the new gearbox etc and some serious hp
ddeane
Regular

June 2002
Re: Strongest gear in a W58 Fri, 07 January 2005 04:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Justen

My thoughts, for what they are worth, is that if you are doing straight load testing that any gear (1,2,3&4) should be ok. I think that you would only be breaking the thing if you do what you did last time - harsh changes. Once engaged it should be able to withstand whatever you throw at it.

Craig
JustenGT4
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Strongest gear in a W58 Fri, 07 January 2005 04:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No Message Body
JustenGT4
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Strongest gear in a W58 Fri, 07 January 2005 04:18 Go to previous message
I'll be as gentle as i can be but pretty sure Toyota didn't design the box with over 700Nm or torque in mind Wink
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:twin turbo 7mgte
Next Topic:What rims are these?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri May 17 23:45:58 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0050530433654785 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.