Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » wat has/is everyone using to undercoat/primer there cars??

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
lilcrash
Forums Junkie

April 2004
wat has/is everyone using to undercoat/primer there cars?? Sun, 09 January 2005 22:03 Go to next message
im sanding down my car today and im not 100% on wat to undercoat it with

thanx
  Send a private message to this user    
4DaDrift
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: wat has/is everyone using to undercoat/primer there cars?? Mon, 10 January 2005 00:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if your keeping it for any period of time or have a concience like me
por15
uses moisture ie water rather than solvents and chemicals to dry airtight
normal paint still breathes hence eventually rusts
and you can paint it on with a brush and it self levels
lilcrash
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: wat has/is everyone using to undercoat/primer there cars?? Mon, 10 January 2005 02:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
where can i get por15 and is it expensive??
clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: wat has/is everyone using to undercoat/primer there cars?? Mon, 10 January 2005 14:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hellish expensive and available from the wholesalers in giraween the name of which temporarily escapes me. You could tint it and just spray with it, esp with the self leveling. Uber gloss too.
4DaDrift
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: wat has/is everyone using to undercoat/primer there cars?? Mon, 10 January 2005 15:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hellish expensive is harlequin @ 1,000 a litre
por15 is approx 65 a litre

http://www.ppc.au.com/category13_1.htm
aussie reseller

http://www.ppc.au.com/category170_1g.htm
where to buy in queensland

[Updated on: Mon, 10 January 2005 15:38]

evilldave
Newcomer

November 2004
Re: wat has/is everyone using to undercoat/primer there cars?? Mon, 10 January 2005 16:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah mate the question is how bad is your car and as for por 15 or what ever you are thinking of using dont bother . Save your self the hastle ,take it to your nearest panel shop ! Are and get them to put a coat of etch primer over your car ,thats if there is a shit load of bare metal showing .then a coat of 2 pak primer over that ,it should protect it from the elements untill you could afford to get it painted . you'd probably pay 600 bucks ,or do it yourself . Use something like spies hecker etch primer , with 2pak primer over that . Stick to using the same brand paint always for best results .

[Updated on: Mon, 10 January 2005 16:42]

lilcrash
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: wat has/is everyone using to undercoat/primer there cars?? Tue, 11 January 2005 01:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmmm - just curious but y should i get it done in 2 pac primer???
thanx everyone
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: wat has/is everyone using to undercoat/primer there cars?? Tue, 11 January 2005 02:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Only use POR15 if you are going back to bare metal.
If you are not, then there is no point using POR15.
evilldave
Newcomer

November 2004
Re: wat has/is everyone using to undercoat/primer there cars?? Tue, 11 January 2005 13:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well you dont have to prime your car if you dont have to , it all depends on the paint thats allready on your car . The 2 pak primer is just something that you would use over plastic filler or coarse scratch marks .What condition is the paint and body in?
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: wat has/is everyone using to undercoat/primer there cars?? Tue, 11 January 2005 14:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lilcrash, are you sanding down to the metal? or just a light rub over the original paint for a quick re-spray?

i use acrylic etch primer on bare metal and acrylic primer filler over that. i like the primer filler as it's easier to get rid of small imperfections in conjunction with a guide coat and once sanded back can be painted straight over with out having to spray a seperate primer.
if i am just rubbing back some old paint that has no imperfections on it, i'll paint straight over the old paint.

you should never leave your car in primer for extended periods of time, as moisture will get through the primer and will premote rust under your primer. meaning you've just wasted your time.

evilldave, are you referring to '2 pak primer' as a primer filler? kinda sounds like it in your description.
evilldave
Newcomer

November 2004
icon5.gif  Re: wat has/is everyone using to undercoat/primer there cars?? Tue, 11 January 2005 16:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just asking about paint condition first then maybe i could advise from there . Maybe even mix 2pak as a primer surfacer, instead of just a straight out filler .It all depends on what this guy is trying to to achevie.Yeah shaw you could use acrylic etch primer and maybe primer . But whats this guy wanting the end result to be ? What has lilcrash rubbed his car down with?

[Updated on: Tue, 11 January 2005 16:56]

lilcrash
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: wat has/is everyone using to undercoat/primer there cars?? Tue, 11 January 2005 20:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok details

-i have/am rubbing my car back to smooth with a 320 wet paper.(thats wat i was told to use so i cuold primer over it)(im probly wrong again)
-im leaving the old paint as it is pretty good its just faded.
-i dont have much bare metal as wen we did the rust repairs we only sanded the area then filled bak to level with the paint( to make it easyier to paint) or so i thought.
-basically ive just gotta sort out if i have to primer or fill or paint. and wat ive gotta use to do it.

thank you everyone
evilldave
Newcomer

November 2004
Re: wat has/is everyone using to undercoat/primer there cars?? Fri, 14 January 2005 19:04 Go to previous message
You could just use either acrylic primer straight over your car if you are going to put acrylic top coat (the colour ) or use 2 pak primer as a filler or as a primer surfacer. If you use acrylic primer and want to put 2 pak colour over the car its not recomended as the acrylic primer is thermo plastic ,meaning it would move underneath the 2pak colour on any hot day. If you are painting your car at home its probably better to use acrylic primer and top coat ,so then you could buff your car to eliminate and dust which my appear in your top coat.Or if you use 2pak primer you can paint acrylic top coat over it , which gives you a hard base to paint over.The 2pak primer also makes it for easyer buffing ,because the acrylic top coat layes down better (it flattens its self out) .The reason why you can use 2pak primer underneath acrylic top coat is that 2pak primer is rock hard when its dry and doesnt move as much as the acrylic laquers do.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:make a stock exhaust sound beefier
Next Topic:Help with my body kit!!!!
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 13 16:51:40 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0059590339660645 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.