Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
intake / pod filters Mon, 10 January 2005 06:23 Go to next message
just a quicky... im after the actual law on pod filters... anyone got the link?

iv tried the RTA site and get heaps of crap on unwanted stuff... tried google and it takes me to forums but i am after the actiual letter of the law

anyone??? Very Happy
  Send a private message to this user    
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: intake / pod filters Mon, 10 January 2005 06:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I doubt there is a law on it.

With everything else, if its engineered, its legal.
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: intake / pod filters Mon, 10 January 2005 06:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
in WA
it has to be secured for it to be able to be permitted
86twinky
Regular

November 2003
Re: intake / pod filters Mon, 10 January 2005 06:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
"Technical enquiries regarding Vehicle Regulations should be directed to 1300 137 302." - RTA website

http://www.yellowpages.com.au - call up some engineers.

fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: intake / pod filters Mon, 10 January 2005 06:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have docs from the EPA in respect to this but they only state that the air intake and exhaust noise levels cannot exceed those set by them... this means that the noise levels cannot exceed

- 96dB for pre '83 vehicles
- 90dB for '83 onwards

but there is no ruling sauing that they are illegal to have... the rule is as follows

20 Repairs and modifications
A person must not cause or permit a motor vehicle’s engine, or its air intake or exhaust system, to be modified or repaired in such a manner that the maximum noise level of the motor vehicle after the repair or modification (regardless of the noise level of the motorvehicle before the repair or modification) exceeds the maximum noise level specified in Schedule 1 for that kind of motor vehicle.

Maximum penalty: 100 penalty units in the case of a corporation, 50 penalty units in the case of an individual.

so thats the law from the EPA... it comes from here

Protection of the Environment Operations (Noise Control) Regulation 2000

under the Protection of the Environment Operations Act 1997

but if anyone has any other links please let me know... also i have these files on disk but cannot upload here
Hunty
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: intake / pod filters Mon, 10 January 2005 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you want to email them to me i can host them if ppl want em

calum@internode.on.net

cheers
Hunty
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: intake / pod filters Tue, 11 January 2005 08:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
got em hosted here

http://calsimac.dyndns.org:7070/regs/

cheers, oh and dont hack me Razz
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: intake / pod filters Tue, 11 January 2005 09:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my mate was defected for this recently in his soarer he made a sealed custom box that was hooked up to his custom cold air intake and he passed his inspection. From what i understand if its in a sealed box the cops wont hassle u in nsw
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: intake / pod filters Tue, 11 January 2005 13:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Depends on:

1. Your car
2. Your attitude
3. The officer in question's attitude

This is why some cars get away with a missing headlight for a couple of years, and others get a defect for 'low washer fluid'
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: intake / pod filters Wed, 12 January 2005 03:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fade-e wrote on Mon, 10 January 2005 17:54

i have docs from the EPA in respect to this but they only state that the air intake and exhaust noise levels cannot exceed those set by them... this means that the noise levels cannot exceed

- 96dB for pre '83 vehicles
- 90dB for '83 onwards

but there is no ruling sauing that they are illegal to have... the rule is as follows

20 Repairs and modifications
A person must not cause or permit a motor vehicle’s engine, or its air intake or exhaust system, to be modified or repaired in such a manner that the maximum noise level of the motor vehicle after the repair or modification (regardless of the noise level of the motorvehicle before the repair or modification) exceeds the maximum noise level specified in Schedule 1 for that kind of motor vehicle.

Maximum penalty: 100 penalty units in the case of a corporation, 50 penalty units in the case of an individual.

so thats the law from the EPA... it comes from here

Protection of the Environment Operations (Noise Control) Regulation 2000

under the Protection of the Environment Operations Act 1997

but if anyone has any other links please let me know... also i have these files on disk but cannot upload here

im bad at interpreting and this one is a mind twister with all the b4 and afters. so according to this, does it mean that u can do any modifications as long as its not louder than what is permitted?
Celica_John
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: intake / pod filters Wed, 12 January 2005 06:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
isn't if it is oiled or not?

I'v heard that they're illegal if not boxed because it may backfire through the intake (and turbo) and cause a fire in the engine bay. yea like i always have that problem! Laughing
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: intake / pod filters Wed, 12 January 2005 06:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Celica_John wrote on Wed, 12 January 2005 17:39

I'v heard that they're illegal if not boxed because it may backfire through the intake (and turbo) and cause a fire in the engine bay. yea like i always have that problem! Laughing

man the total distance from plenum through turbo then intake pipe and filter is bout 2 or so meters... im pretty sure it would have fizzled out by then unless im runing AVGas or something... well with my pod i am considering boxing it, as you can see from my avatar where the filter is (where the battery goes in the '22)... i was thinking of puting it in a heat sheild box and making holes behind the headlight and around the filter (but not the heat sheild box) to allow fresh air come through instead of taking the heated air from the bay
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: intake / pod filters Wed, 12 January 2005 06:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Celica_John wrote on Wed, 12 January 2005 17:39

Dont laugh does happen especially with carby cars
Celica_John
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: intake / pod filters Wed, 12 January 2005 21:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I made up a really smick box. i put a sheet of metal from the strut tower to the front of the car next to the head light then put a top on to box it up so that cops don't see a f#*k off air pod when they pop the bonnet. then i got some flexible hose from rare spares (expensive but i now know you can also get it from pertek) and put a cold air intake going down and to the front of the car.

worked a treat.
90celi
Occasional Poster

September 2005
Re: intake / pod filters Thu, 01 December 2005 06:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey everyone...i posted a while ago re: pod filters, cant seem to find the actual thread...anyway i finally got my pod (aswell a 2.25inch cat back xhaust) put on...mainly wnated them both for sound Very Happy..and i love the pod filter! sounds great...was just wondering..most ppl seem to rip out the entire air box/tubing and replace with a chrome pipe etc..what i did was (well the exhuast shop guy - 2.2 5sfe engine btw) neway he took of the top of the airbox and took out the stock filter left the bottom of the airbox which has a little snorkel and left the stock tubing from the TB to the pod..the pod basically faces completely away from the engine and has a small feed (its a K&N x-stream top pod)ive popped the bonnet and checked the pod after driving around for a while and seems to be not that hot in that region of the engine...seems to be more effective than some ppl's set ups of just ripping out everything and putting in a chrome pipe and getting rid of the little air feed etc..the pod is also position well away from the majority of the heat..i'll try and take sum pics later to show u wat i'm talkin bout if any1 is interested...just one question...the 5sfe uses MAP sensing i think i was told i.e no AFM altho it did have a small pastice air temp sensor which he just poked a hole in the intake tube and shoved it in..is that ok?? and how important is that air temp sensor? anyways in the next few days i will be putting some tubing in and a box maybe...hope the box dusnt reduce the sound!! neways sorry for long post but hope it helps sum1..(please leave comments Very Happy) thanks
digitalpho3nix
Regular

June 2004
Re: intake / pod filters Thu, 01 December 2005 06:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gravedigger! Laughing
90celi
Occasional Poster

September 2005
Re: intake / pod filters Thu, 01 December 2005 06:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
huh? wat do u mean?
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: intake / pod filters Thu, 01 December 2005 06:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the thread has had no replies in it since January anyway, all pods in NSW have to be boxed and also have to have dry filter elements.
90celi
Occasional Poster

September 2005
Re: intake / pod filters Thu, 01 December 2005 06:14 Go to previous message
oh ok i get ya..lol but it was the first thread i found bout pods cos i didnt want to start a new one...i know the pods need to be boxed and dry element i just wanted some opinions on the set up etc...but thanks
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Do you have Aftermarket wheels? You need this...
Next Topic:Intercooler This worth buying
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 14 15:48:28 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0049500465393066 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.