Toymods » The Outhouse » i have to "show cause" for uni

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
bigg willie style
Forums Junkie

October 2003
icon8.gif  i have to "show cause" for uni Mon, 10 January 2005 08:53 Go to next message
hi all,
i fucked up at uni this year (2nd year for me), so now i have to write a letter to "show cause" as to why i fucked up. has anyone here had to do this before? any advice on what to include in the letter?

how important is the letter, is it kind of like

"write the letter, make sure its not absolute shit, and everythings fine"

or is the kind of letter that is like

"we read and analyze every sentence, and if its not a damn good reason, you can get the fuck out"

my REAL reasons for failing (not the ones i plan to make up) is that my course blowz teh cock (science), so i didnt do any work (lack of motivation i guess you call it).

i figure that i should write some shit in the letter about not being able to study because of work, and maybe some some of the truth about not liking the course.

i didnt fail anything first year, but second year i failed 5/6.

thanks heaps
Will
  Send a private message to this user    
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: i have to "show cause" for uni Mon, 10 January 2005 09:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
In my mates experience, (I think he's done 3 of these so called letters), letter is basically there to tell the uni that you are still interested in doing the course.

Just make up any excuse that seems legit that might help you get back in (if you want to), or change to another course.

Or even.... dont do shit, go back, pass all the units and you'll be back on good standing.
dimmy77_03
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: i have to "show cause" for uni Mon, 10 January 2005 09:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bigg willie style wrote on Mon, 10 January 2005 19:53

"we read and analyze every sentence, and if its not a damn good reason, you can get the fuck out"

my REAL reasons for failing (not the ones i plan to make up) is that my course blowz teh cock (science), so i didnt do any work (lack of motivation i guess you call it).

i've just finished 1st year biological science and yes science courses suck teh massive dong Evil or Very Mad

I've been told that it'd be a damn good excuse, especially if you failed 5/6. I failed chem in 2nd semester, and that's fine (75% fail rate Surprised )

I suggest you put in 1/2 truth and 1/2 total crap about how your fiance left you and you were depressed or some shit Razz

[Updated on: Mon, 10 January 2005 09:06]

RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: i have to "show cause" for uni Mon, 10 January 2005 11:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've failed many semesters in a row passing only a couple of subjects. They'll let you back in, but I think you should spend some time SERIOUSLY considering what you want to do, you really really don't want to end up flogging a dead horse like me for too many years and not get a degree and wind up with a huge debt.

My advice (and I hate it when people give me advice but I guess I'm going to dish it out anyway) - take some time off (a whole semester at least) and do some full time work - or even take a holiday - and just think about where you want to go and whether the uni course is the right one for you. I dunno, do whatever you want - I'm not yer dad Very Happy
davedrifts
Regular

Banned User

September 2004
Re: i have to "show cause" for uni Mon, 10 January 2005 12:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I agree, i'd also like to participate in this said "flogging of a dead horse".
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: i have to "show cause" for uni Mon, 10 January 2005 14:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Depression is always a good excuse... lots of uni students get depressed so they would be used to this excuse. They can't ask too many details about it. If they do, just lower your head and talk some shit in a quiet voice. They'll probably not want to probe too far after that.

Get back into the course and then decide what you want to do. Make sure that if you decide that you want to continue there is a place for you. You can always quit later if you want.
jackel
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: i have to "show cause" for uni Mon, 10 January 2005 15:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
say the course is boring and the lecturers are boring Very Happy
4DaDrift
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: i have to "show cause" for uni Mon, 10 January 2005 15:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
"ghey with the mastif aids" should be suffice to get you back in Smile
dimmy77_03
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: i have to "show cause" for uni Mon, 10 January 2005 23:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4DaDrift wrote on Tue, 11 January 2005 02:57

"ghey with the mastif aids" should be suffice to get you back in Smile

or "it sucks teh massif dong" Very Happy
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: i have to "show cause" for uni Tue, 11 January 2005 00:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
best excuse ever : mental illness.
if you go up and say "depression/biploar/drug induced psychosis" (alright, maybe not the last one) then 90% of the time they wont look any forther and just push you straight in.

Only problem is, if your course co-ordinator was me, I'd want a letter from your psychiatrist/counsellor, becuase really... if the depression is that bad, you should be getting help.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: i have to "show cause" for uni Tue, 11 January 2005 04:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Knowing the same person as CrUZsida, it's a matter of basically just coming up with a reason, shit, he did it 3 times.

While depression is a good one, you could end up with someone like Draven as your co-ordinator. The simplest one would be to say, "this came as a big wakeup call for me, I worked out the dollar and time value I'm invested and worked out what I've wasted. I want to make a real go of it this time".

That is pretty much guaranteed to get you in, remember, they do like the money for you being there. That said, I agree with the rest as well, if you failed 5/6, you should REALLY think about whether you are doing the right course.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: i have to "show cause" for uni Tue, 11 January 2005 04:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Tue, 11 January 2005 12:11

Knowing the same person as CrUZsida, it's a matter of basically just coming up with a reason, shit, he did it 3 times.

It was more like 5 to 7 times...
bigg willie style
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: i have to "show cause" for uni Tue, 11 January 2005 04:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks all, i was planning on taking this year off anyway (i thought i included that in the first post, ?, guess not). ill probably get a job, then think about uni at the end of this year.

as far as the letter, i reckon i will put in a combo of; a lack of motivation, disliking course and chuck in some depression for the hell of it, oh, and some bullshit about my job hindering studies.

haha, im so tempted now to write in the letter that my course is "ghey wif teh aids" or "blowz teh massif dong" or even write the whole thing in 733t 5P34|< (i would need help with that), Razz i guess maybe i can do that if i decide later that im definitely not gong back.
anyway,
thanks again ya'll
Will
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: i have to "show cause" for uni Tue, 11 January 2005 04:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

If you can convince them that you're a lesbian Aboriginal, then I'd say you'd romp it in. Smile

seeyuzz
river
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: i have to "show cause" for uni Tue, 11 January 2005 05:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you are only in second year, quit and do something you enjoy, you arent going to like it any more the more you do it.

a mate of mine was doing science, failed all but one subject forst year, dropped out and did computer animation/art, which he has now finished.

do something you enjoy!

but if you want to slog it out, talk to the student union, they will help you out massively.
kevz0r
Regular

May 2002

Re: i have to "show cause" for uni Tue, 11 January 2005 05:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrUZsida wrote on Tue, 11 January 2005 12:14

yeah get your facts straight Smile

its a mere formality. im sure you could hand them in your lunch order and theyd let you back. uni's love your money.

personally im a fan of little-to-no effort, so i prefer the 'lay low for a semester' approach. go back, still terminated, and do the units youre supposed to. pass em all and youre back in the club. no letter required.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: i have to "show cause" for uni Tue, 11 January 2005 08:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kevz0r wrote on Tue, 11 January 2005 13:50

CrUZsida wrote on Tue, 11 January 2005 12:14

yeah get your facts straight Smile

its a mere formality. im sure you could hand them in your lunch order and theyd let you back. uni's love your money.

personally im a fan of little-to-no effort, so i prefer the 'lay low for a semester' approach. go back, still terminated, and do the units youre supposed to. pass em all and youre back in the club. no letter required.

I thought you'd only been terminated 3 times officially, and the last time when you went to see your co-ordinator he said the computer reckons you aren't, so you aren't Laughing
kevz0r
Regular

May 2002

Re: i have to "show cause" for uni Tue, 11 January 2005 08:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nah man.

3 on the last course. swapped. then either 3 or 4 on this one... i forget Smile
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: i have to "show cause" for uni Tue, 11 January 2005 08:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nah, you're getting it all distracted with just general failures of units. You changed courses after the second termination Razz
kevz0r
Regular

May 2002

Re: i have to "show cause" for uni Tue, 11 January 2005 08:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nah i changed after the third coz i thought 3rd time time might be unlucky to try to get back into the same course

trust me... i know Smile
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: i have to "show cause" for uni Tue, 11 January 2005 11:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
good work dude Razz
joyride
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

January 2003
Re: i have to "show cause" for uni Thu, 13 January 2005 01:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
science sucks, change courses or drop out as i did. Laughing i was a 4th year student still doing 2nd year subjects Embarassed

kevz0r
Regular

May 2002

Re: i have to "show cause" for uni Thu, 13 January 2005 02:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
in my 6th year i did a 2nd year unit... 2nd year seemed to be easy to pass the first time round.. Wink
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: i have to "show cause" for uni Thu, 13 January 2005 03:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
joyride -> you aren't the only one to suffer that fate...i was doing 1st 2nd and 3rd year subjects in my 4th year at uni.... *shudder*.
joyride
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

January 2003
Re: i have to "show cause" for uni Thu, 13 January 2005 04:57 Go to previous message
FWDboy wrote on Thu, 13 January 2005 14:26

joyride -> you aren't the only one to suffer that fate...i was doing 1st 2nd and 3rd year subjects in my 4th year at uni.... *shudder*.

you'll be paying HECS through the nose Sad
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Anyone else seen as being menacing and didn't mean to?
Next Topic:Oceans 12
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 9 05:41:55 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0086879730224609 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.