Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

3SGTE gearbox selector Mon, 10 January 2005 03:42 Go to next message
Anyone know if the gearbox selectors from a 3sgte (e153) and 3sge (????) are the same.

http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~wtf/other/selector.jpg

Or if you know the gearbox code of the 3sge release gearbox, or have a picture of a 3sge gearbox, then that would help too.

Edit: Now also on the look out for GT4 selectors, anyone have a picture or one for sale?

Thanks in advance,
Dave

[Updated on: Mon, 10 January 2005 19:03]

Send a private message to this user    
Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: sw20 gearbox selector Mon, 10 January 2005 06:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I believe the gearbox on the 3SGE in the SW20 is a S54 a variant of the C54 that fits onto a 3S.

What is wrong with the current shift levers? The pic isn't overly clear on what's up.
davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: sw20 gearbox selector Mon, 10 January 2005 06:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
They aren't my shift levers, the pic was just utilized to illustrate what I was after.

I currently have one on order from toyota japan, but it's been 6 weeks and I still can't get a firm ETA Nope.

Desperately trying to make dyno day.
davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: sw20 gearbox selector Mon, 10 January 2005 10:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anyone got a picture of their SW20 3SGE gearbox?
Alchemist
Forums Junkie

January 2003
Re: SW20 gearbox selector Mon, 10 January 2005 11:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Which photo of which bit do you need? Not being the most technically minded. I know where the gear linkages go etc, is a pic of around there useful or...?
Senor_2
Regular

September 2003
Re: SW20 gearbox selector Mon, 10 January 2005 12:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
From my recent experience the selectors are in a slightly different position on my gen 3 GTE box compared to my old gen 2 GE box (S54). I found out the hard way as my original shift cables were a bit too long for the GTE box. I've got a couple of pics of the GE box after it was removed from the car if you want to take a look as well.
davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: SW20 gearbox selector Mon, 10 January 2005 19:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alchemist: I'm after a photo which illustrates the piece circuled in the image at the top of the thread (I changed the image). This might be pretty hard with the engine in the car, so it might be best left to Senor_2 who might already have the pic I need.

Senor_2: if you could fire me over a picture of the top of your gearbox (or anything you have if you don't have one of the top), that would be fantastic!
My email: toymods @ scattered . com . au

I have a feeling that they're going to be different. Thanks to Josh for the info about it being a S54 (a variation of a C54).
I think I might be best chasing up someone with an E series box.

Anyone have picture of a GT4 box?

Thanks everyone for your help so far!!!!
Dave
Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: 3SGTE gearbox selector Mon, 10 January 2005 23:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I could possibly hook you up with a loaner, for dyno day at least.

Mine won't be going again any time real soon.
davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: 3SGTE gearbox selector Mon, 10 January 2005 23:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That might rock Josh, I'll let you know thursday if I'm going to make dyno day (the motor has to be in by then I reckon if I'm going to make it - leaving thurs-sat for piping and electrics).
I still have to make a journey over to you to pick up that TB inlet (if it's still available that is).

Cheers,
Dave
Senor_2
Regular

September 2003
Re: 3SGTE gearbox selector Mon, 10 January 2005 23:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
davedave I'll forward u a couple of pics tonight if u still want to take a look, haven't got them with me now.
Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: 3SGTE gearbox selector Mon, 10 January 2005 23:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The throttle inlet is definately still available for you dude. Who's doing the wiring for you?
davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: 3SGTE gearbox selector Tue, 11 January 2005 00:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Senor_2: Very much appreciated dude.

Joshstix: Me, with the aid of a couple of toyota wiring diagrams, some diagrams off of the mr2oc/mk15 forum, my aw11 loom and 2 & 1/2 GT4 wiring looms, a soldering iron, multimeter, and a bunch of crossed fingers Smiley =
davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: 3SGTE gearbox selector Tue, 11 January 2005 02:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK, the toyota guys just rang me up to confirm that the part they ordered some 6 weeks ago is the right one Rolling Eyes
I've now been given the time estimate of 20 days as Japan is trying to source the part from the US (and failing that, Europe) Nope

I did find out that the selectors on the E153 and the S54 are indeed different. The one on a GT4 box looks the same from the part catalogue, but has a different part number Nope

If anyone knows of any E153's at any wreckers, I'd love to hear from you.

Cheers,
Dave
wagonist
Forums Junkie

Toymods Club Treasurer

May 2002
Re: 3SGTE gearbox selector Tue, 11 January 2005 04:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What are these gearboxes out of, I've got not much idea bout the codes, but might know where wrecks are?
davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: 3SGTE gearbox selector Tue, 11 January 2005 05:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MR2 SW20 Turbo is the only thing.

I've rang about 20 places today (adel, melb, syd & bris) and still no luck, the few people that have gearboxes don't want to seperate the selector.

If you know of any places that might have a wrecked SW20 turbo or a gearbox, please let me know.

Cheers,
Dave
Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: 3SGTE gearbox selector Tue, 11 January 2005 05:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dave try getting onto Mr Revhead off these forums about getting the part from NZ, he's pretty damn helpfull and some of hte prices are surprisingly good.
Senor_2
Regular

September 2003
Re: 3SGTE gearbox selector Tue, 11 January 2005 12:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
davedave, just sent u an email with a couple of pics.
davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: 3SGTE gearbox selector Tue, 11 January 2005 19:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks mate! they're very useful!

Before we start, I'll explain that this assembly is in two pieces. A bracket (that bolts to the gearbox) and a lever (that the cable connects to which moves the selector)
From what I can see, they are very similar. The only difference being that the bracket on the S54 one is bent bringing the lever closer to the selector. This I think would in turn shorten the levers selecting arm and hence give you less movement on the selector arm when you shift (the opposite of a short shifter).

It looks so damn close though that I'm almost ready to give it a go.

What do you guys think?

Cheers,
Dave

http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~wtf/other/selector2.jpghttp://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~wtf/other/selector3.jpg
http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~wtf/other/selector.jpg
wagonist
Forums Junkie

Toymods Club Treasurer

May 2002
Re: 3SGTE gearbox selector Wed, 12 January 2005 01:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I ahve got parts from this wrecker in NZ for my car.
Very helpful.
http://www.toyotaparts.co.nz/index.html
davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: 3SGTE gearbox selector Wed, 12 January 2005 02:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks dude, I've filled out their parts enquiry form and crossed my fingers Smiley =

If this doesn't come up trumps, I think I might grab a 3sge (S54) one and try and fabricate it to fit.
camryGT?
Regular

April 2004
Re: 3SGTE gearbox selector Mon, 17 January 2005 00:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've got a V6 camry box in my sv21 camry. The V6 box is the E153 and the camry orginal 4 cyl box it think was a s54 or s something anyway. i am pretty sure the 4 cyl camry box is the same as the 4 cyl celica box and probably mr2 non turbo box.

I have the orginal camry selector cables still in my car connected to the new V6 box. The selector arangement in those pics looks idenical to both the 4 cly box and the E153 from camry and the GT4 box.
The only differences i found were the brackets that the cables go into on the boxes. The bracket on the S box is thinner than the E box and the cables move around (in the direction of the cable travel, not sideways if that makes any sense).
I also had to modify the bracket from the E box to take the cables from the S box other wise i couldn't get reverse or first gear. (the posistion on the box is slightly out)
I have the S box sitting out of the car and the E box in my car.
If you would like Photos i can get them for both and the modified bracket

Hope this helps
Mr Revhead
Regular

October 2004
Re: 3SGTE gearbox selector Mon, 17 January 2005 01:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yup k road are good guys, i deal with em myself...
dave, im just about to send you an update email.....
davedave
Forums Junkie

October 2003

Re: 3SGTE gearbox selector Mon, 17 January 2005 01:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for that CamryGT, I think that reinforces my theory that the bracket on the S series is (more)bent than the E series box.
Which would mean that by being further from the cable mounting position (and closer to the other selector) it would mean that besides requiring more cable movement to move the other selector, it would also have longer to reach from the moounting position (which might make it impossible to get to some gears - 5th and reverse for example).
Don't worry about the photo's, I think I have it pretty right in my head.

Mr_revhead: thanks, *crosses fingers for good news*
camryGT?
Regular

April 2004
Re: 3SGTE gearbox selector Mon, 17 January 2005 23:52 Go to previous message
Yeah, the total movement needed in the cables for it work on mine was the same on both boxes, but the bracket just needs modifying because the overall posistion of the cables on the box is slightly different.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:3SGE AfterMarket Performance Parts
Next Topic:Fitting torsen centre in place of open centre
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 19 17:56:50 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0072469711303711 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.