Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
RA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002

undercoating Mon, 10 January 2005 22:41 Go to next message
Anyone know off hand if I can spray etch primer over old paint and then top coat on the top of that? I have like 4L of etch primer in the shed and want to undercoat my celica over the existing paint job. I bought it cause I thought I was going to spray a bare metal shell a while back...

Tim.
  Send a private message to this user    
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: undercoating Mon, 10 January 2005 22:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you dont even need to primer the car let alone etch it... what colour is the car now? and what colour is it going to be?

people have this misconception that the car has to be primered to get painted but that is wrong. if the car is at metal or has bog then that needs to be primed to allow the paint to stick... etch primer is not even required to use on bare metal either, it is better to use but not absolutely necessary...

all that needs to be done is that the car needs to be rubbed back with 800grit paper to get all the clear off and pretty much get rid of a layer of paint... once thats doe depending on what colour it is and what your gonna paint depends on what you do next
RA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: undercoating Tue, 11 January 2005 00:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah it's patchy. there are patches of bog, some panels were original colour, one panel was metal (primed in etch primer now) and one panel is the top coat that I did a while back to see how it'd look.

I'm going to prime the car all over then top coat on that. I shouldn't need an undercoat if I prime everything should I?

Let me know if this is a bad idea..

Tim.
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: undercoating Tue, 11 January 2005 01:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
your best bet is to get a magnet and run it over the car and find out exactly where there is bog and rust

what exactly is bare metal? is it a part and part of the shell itself? if its a part (door or whatever) then theres no issue and if its all god then prime it and proof coat it

if its a shell section your better off getting the rest done... where are you located? iv got a guy in syd that is going to sand blast the whole car except engine bay for $900... so thats the 2 doors, 2 guards, bonnet, boot, compelte shell outside and the door jams... so the engine bay and the inside of car and inside of boot not done

broken down this is $400 for the shell and $500 for the parts... what i ended up doing is paint stripping the parts and save myself $500 and am going to get the shell done properly... parts can be changed many times but the shell is the most important part and should be done right first go

there is no point painting it now when in 2-3yrs your gonna have rust spots all over... also with sand blasting they only do the outside of the bonnet and boot as it will rip the glue if done from inside, but if you get it bead blasted instead then they can do it inside and out with a smoother finish than sand... not many people do bead blasting but if you find someone then it cost the same

sand blasting is obviously grains of sand and bead blasting is glass

so to summarise i would sand/bead blast the shell and the rest you can work something out like i did... the issue lies with the fact that repairs have been done already... me every thing goes back to bare metal i dont care on costs

with your current situation all you need to do is prime whats etched and bogged only... you dont need to prime where there is paint cause paint sticks on paint... now if for example the car is currently BLACK and your gonna do it YELLOW then you need to base coat it first which basically is a silver coat first on top of the black and then the yellow as the yellow wont cover over black unless you spray 5-6 coats and thats just F!@KED doing that
RA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: undercoating Tue, 11 January 2005 03:46 Go to previous message
the only bog in the car I put in it and there is no rust. All done now anyway Wink

and all my bodgy bog work didn't turn out as bad as I expected.

I'll sand out all the bugs and use some more putty on the eral bad bits then put the colour on next week.

http://www.members.iinet.net/~cooltim/DSCF0014small.jpg
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:3S-FE Engine Options...
Next Topic:Any1 know of good turbo rebuild/upgrade shop in Perth?!?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 14 10:23:04 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0047600269317627 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.