Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » The Outhouse » anybody doing capoeira?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
anybody doing capoeira? Sun, 09 January 2005 02:08 Go to next message
im thinking of taking up capoeira. not so much for the self defense part, but for getting in shape. im not fat or anything, just wanna tone up. somehow i dont have the motivation to do weights or gym. so this is my more exciting alternative.

anybody here doin capoeira? do u get injuries frm fallling while doing flips etc?? any recomended capoeira school in melbourne?? How much would classes cost roughly??
  Send a private message to this user    
clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: anybody doing capoeira? Mon, 10 January 2005 14:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Do a search, someone posted the same question a while ago, but I do think they were in sydney
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: anybody doing capoeira? Mon, 10 January 2005 19:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i remember a thread on martial arts, not capoeira. dont remember anyone DOING capoeira
thu187
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: anybody doing capoeira? Mon, 10 January 2005 21:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it should be fine as long as you dont have weak wrists
davedrifts
Regular

Banned User

September 2004
Re: anybody doing capoeira? Tue, 11 January 2005 00:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Flips? Damn this sounds like fun, what else does capoeira involve??
Dmonk86
Regular

August 2004
Re: anybody doing capoeira? Tue, 11 January 2005 10:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If i recall correctly roughly the style involves a cool break dance type very acrobatic body movement style. Commonly used by the brazillians/jamacians?

Theres alot of spinning and rolling and one handed kicks.. (thats um, supporting your body wieght on one hand and pulling your leg over your body to kick)

I dont know much about the style but it looks friggin' awesome, theres so much rhythum and energy.

Visit http://www.wu-wien.ac.at/usr/h96b/h9650297/cap-bas ics.html to see the basics of the style, very interesting! You'd have to be damn fit to do it!

Annndd something for fun, if you got excited about the fighting style and cant be bothered actually getting up and doing it ..
you can now play it online!http://www.shockwave.com/landing/landingIndex.jsp? id=capfighter3&syswarn=accept

enjoy! Very Happy
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: anybody doing capoeira? Tue, 11 January 2005 13:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ya i never had the balls to do flips and all. so through this i can learn to do flips and even more under a controled environment!! Smile
lang
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: anybody doing capoeira? Tue, 11 January 2005 14:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EDDIE GORDO WIN
dirty_86
Newcomer

June 2002
Re: anybody doing capoeira? Tue, 11 January 2005 16:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
capoeira is pretty cool.
i've been to classes at united styles on chapel and it looks like fun, but a lot of damn work... instead of running around the room as a warm up they do cartwheels and stuff.
check out the united styles website at
http://www.unitdstyles.com/
roughly $12-$14 per class
dirty_86
Newcomer

June 2002
Re: anybody doing capoeira? Tue, 11 January 2005 16:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oops!!
just read the site properly and capoeria is priced differntly, but it should still be about the same.
good luck!
Malicia
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: anybody doing capoeira? Fri, 21 January 2005 03:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey,

if your looking for classes in melbourne there are a few, here is just one http://www.capoeira.net.au

Look around on google you should find the rest.
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: anybody doing capoeira? Fri, 21 January 2005 04:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ya found a place but havent found a partner to join me yet
thu187
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: anybody doing capoeira? Fri, 21 January 2005 04:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Caopeira is more like a fitness thing than a martial art. A few of my friends do it and agree it isn't the most practical way of fighting but cool to be able to do and definitely a lot of fun Smile
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: anybody doing capoeira? Fri, 21 January 2005 05:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
another question, are there lots of chiqs doing this?? Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

would be a big bonus Very Happy chiqs flipping around n all
Kimber
Occasional Poster

Banned Again

January 2005
Re: anybody doing capoeira? Fri, 21 January 2005 05:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
also they would have good bods. Very Happy
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: anybody doing capoeira? Fri, 21 January 2005 05:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ya i liked toned athlethic body without becoming too huge Razz
Malicia
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: anybody doing capoeira? Fri, 21 January 2005 07:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah lots of chicks to it too, although some are hippy nature freaks, you know the ones who don't shave
Kimber
Occasional Poster

Banned Again

January 2005
Re: anybody doing capoeira? Fri, 21 January 2005 08:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
*shudders*
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: anybody doing capoeira? Fri, 21 January 2005 08:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Malicia wrote on Fri, 21 January 2005 18:53

Yeah lots of chicks to it too, although some are hippy nature freaks, you know the ones who don't shave

watch out for bushfires
muaythaiman
Regular

August 2004
Re: anybody doing capoeira? Fri, 21 January 2005 14:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gay
looks good
sort of for people that want to take up martial arts but realy want to do ballet
muaythaiman
Regular

August 2004
Re: anybody doing capoeira? Fri, 21 January 2005 14:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
or gymnastics
lol
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: anybody doing capoeira? Fri, 21 January 2005 16:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im interested coz its a nice and beatiful looking art. not interested for the self defense as i am a pratitioner of something else since i was 7
Malicia
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: anybody doing capoeira? Fri, 21 January 2005 17:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah capoeira isn't manly like mauy thai Rolling Eyes

True current day capoeira in a street fight wouldn't be a good idea, but the traditional form was used by afro/Brazilian slaves to free them selves from the corrupt Portuguese government/slave owners.
so it was once as destructive as mauy thai.

[Updated on: Fri, 21 January 2005 17:26]

muaythaiman
Regular

August 2004
Re: anybody doing capoeira? Wed, 26 January 2005 01:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

The Thais fought a whole nation with muaythai. (Burma)
Special Ed
Regular

November 2003
Re: anybody doing capoeira? Wed, 26 January 2005 02:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Malicia wrote on Sat, 22 January 2005 04:24

Doesnt mean its not gay now. modern tai kwon do is probably more effective. Rolling Eyes
muaythaiman
Regular

August 2004
Re: anybody doing capoeira? Thu, 27 January 2005 06:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ever seen a tkd blackbelt fight a mt fighter?
i have!
Special Ed
Regular

November 2003
Re: anybody doing capoeira? Thu, 27 January 2005 12:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Special Ed wrote on Wed, 26 January 2005 13:00

Doesnt mean its not gay now. modern tai kwon do is probably more effective. Rolling Eyes

note sarcasm.

MT Vs TKD is always amusing.

[Updated on: Thu, 27 January 2005 12:34]

b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: anybody doing capoeira? Thu, 27 January 2005 15:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
muaythaiman wrote on Thu, 27 January 2005 17:18

ever seen a tkd blackbelt fight a mt fighter?
i have!

one of my tkd mate had a spare with MT dude. tkd mate studying in sydney. happen to be same person? he said MT dude damn good
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: anybody doing capoeira? Thu, 27 January 2005 22:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I wanna do Akido. That looks like a good self defence art.
WANTED_AE86
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: anybody doing capoeira? Wed, 02 February 2005 15:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ben, a friend of mine does it.. its also just around the corner from my house its in broady meadows.. where they practice every wednesday nights.... yeah its quite an exhausting activity.. needs lots of stamina etc etc and agility as well as flexibility ... strenght.. etc...

if u want to really dig in to it start drinking milk or chew some calcium tablets... needs strong bones.. heh reminds me of the old school break dancing days... so if youre interested pm me ill give u his fone number...

please dont misunderstand capoeira... its not much of a fighting technique besides youll look like an idiot weaving left and right performing that silly capoiera movements and get your ass snapped in half.. trying to perform 540 boneless'd backflip (or something like that) and place a kick onto the guy's face....

*yes it does look good in tekken and virtua fighter...

[Updated on: Wed, 02 February 2005 15:59]

b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: anybody doing capoeira? Wed, 02 February 2005 16:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok i happen to read ur reply after finishing abosolute vodka with some mates.

how far is borad medows frm city? which direction? north south east west??
EldarO
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: anybody doing capoeira? Wed, 02 February 2005 16:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
muay thai or whatever the hell you call it is crappy.

for sheer self defence, theres no greater matrial art than brazilian ju-jitsu, i studied it for a couple of years, but i just couldnt be bothered anymore, so i stopped, but it was brilliant while it lasted.

good fun learning how to land properly, aswell as how to defend from every different possible attack... and yes, i have used it for self defence, and no ones touched me since, it rules!
The Count
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: anybody doing capoeira? Wed, 02 February 2005 23:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well as my parents are from Brazil
i was forced to do it as a child
u dont just get fit and learn to kick ass u also learn a bit of
break dancing which is cool to impress da chick Very Happy

but yeh its not very popular (like kung fu or tai kwon do) so itll be hard to find a good instructor but good luck

cheers
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: anybody doing capoeira? Thu, 03 February 2005 00:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EldarO wrote on Thu, 03 February 2005 03:49

muay thai or whatever the hell you call it is crappy.

for sheer self defence, theres no greater matrial art than brazilian ju-jitsu, i studied it for a couple of years, but i just couldnt be bothered anymore, so i stopped, but it was brilliant while it lasted.

good fun learning how to land properly, aswell as how to defend from every different possible attack... and yes, i have used it for self defence, and no ones touched me since, it rules!

u give me an impression that u dont know what ur talking about. have u tried sparring against a "muay thai or whatever its called"? how can u say its crappy when u refer to it as "watever u call it"??

the count, ur parents brazilian? i've been trying to drag my friends to learn capoeira with me and they are not interested. then i tell them that capoiera will increase their soccer skills coz its brazilian art. i'll get some of their attention b4 they realise the irrelevance Laughing Laughing
WANTED_AE86
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: anybody doing capoeira? Thu, 03 February 2005 15:37 Go to previous message
ben its based in northern area of broadmeadows / glenroy...

contact me via msn @ a1foxhounder@yahoo.com

regards..
-dave
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:HOW DO U MAKE AVATAR
Next Topic:XVid codecs : Any media buffs here?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 20:03:57 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0084550380706787 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.