Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
tyottsoarer
Regular

June 2004
schwitzer turbo on 1jz Tue, 11 January 2005 12:15 Go to next message
O.k. so i have come across a schwitzer turbo for a veeeery low price, but I was just wondering if anyone could tell me if they know anything about these turbos.

This one was pretty big , like the compressor side was about 190mm in toal diameter with the acctual blade around 65 mm. the exhaust side was slightly smaller in diameter than the compressor side. the dump pipe was about 90 mm in diameter. This too big for a 1j?
  Send a private message to this user    
Hodgie
Regular

February 2004
Re: schwitzer turbo on 1jz Tue, 11 January 2005 13:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Don't go quoting me here as I am not a guru or anything when it comes to turbos. As far as I am aware Schwitzer turbos are designed for use on truck engines IE semi trailer prime movers. Hope this is of some help.
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: schwitzer turbo on 1jz Tue, 11 January 2005 13:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It will probably be an absolute bitch, but if it's dirt cheap, build a manifold with really small runners, and try it! Sometimes it's fun to surprise the 'experts' Laughing
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: schwitzer turbo on 1jz Tue, 11 January 2005 13:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yup... they're for tractors and semi's (from the 4th link i found in google):

...Schwitzer turbochargers and fan clutch drives.   Turbochargers for industrial, commercial, agricultural, light and heavy duty diesel engines....[suitable for] Ford, J.I. Case, International Harvester, John Deere, Mack, Navistar, Cummins, Massey Ferguson, Caterpillar, Detroit Diesel, Komastu, Dorman, Deutz, MAN, Volvo, Scania, RVI, Perkins, Valment

seeing as most of these are farm equipment manufacturers, i'd say it's not suitable for a performance car... at all.
510rob
Regular

June 2004
Re: schwitzer turbo on 1jz Tue, 11 January 2005 20:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Here is a little tidbit on Louis Schwitzer...

http://www.automotivehalloffame.org/honors/index.p hp?cmd=view&id=123&type=inductees

...he founded Schwitzer Turbo back in the day (a LOOOOOONG time ago)

In the early days of aftermarket turbocharging, you either ran a Rajay, a Rotomaster, or a Schwitzer. Almost all of the winners at the Indy500 in the dawn of the turbocharging era were running Schwitzer turbos...

These Schwitzer guys were too far ahead of their time; Harvey crane of Crane cams marketed Schwitzer stuff with Don Hubbard's help, but there was a very limited market for it in the automotive aftermarket, so Crane dumped it in the late 70's and early 80's, and Schwitzer went into the industrial sector after a sale to someone like Beatrice Foods Group before later acquisition by Borg/Warner or someone similar.

I have a Schwitzer 3LD, and I know of two other people with 3LD setups, and guess what - they'll blow the doors off a lot of the new hardware out there these days. The 3LD series has a one piece bearing sleeve that's almost indestructible.

The problem was... try to get compressor maps out of Schwitzer!!! Also, they sized the turbine covers by nozzle cross section rather than A/R ratio... apples to oranges beside a Rotomaster
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: schwitzer turbo on 1jz Tue, 11 January 2005 23:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Most people would say that because it is designed for trucks that it is no good like intercoolers. However, I think that if you could work out the A/R's then that is what will tell you how well it can go on a 1jz.

Holset also make big turbos for trucks etc. and some people have had some very good results with them on things like turbo toranas etc.

If you are after response however, I think a newer more expensive BB turbo would be the go.
Danish
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: schwitzer turbo on 1jz Wed, 12 January 2005 02:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
We have a large Schwitzer turbo charger on our Ford Maverick Diesel.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: schwitzer turbo on 1jz Wed, 12 January 2005 03:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how much is it, becuase if you dont use ill buy it and try and put it on something Very Happy
Jayem
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: schwitzer turbo on 1jz Fri, 14 January 2005 01:38 Go to previous message
Modified Schwitzer turbos are quite common here.
For example Pro Turbo is one dealer that sells custom Schwitzers.

http://www.proturbo.fi/turbot/turbos_en.htm
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:4ac carby
Next Topic:alarms and central locking
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 08:17:13 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0046248435974121 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.