Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Mark II questions....

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
alterd
Newcomer

January 2005
Mark II questions.... Wed, 12 January 2005 01:08 Go to next message
Hi there,
just trying to find some suspension/brake options for my car, 1986 JDM GX71 Mark II GT twin-turbo hardtop. I have searched and havnt found much on the 'net except for *X83 upgrades, would it be the same? or the same as *a70 or *Z20?? . Its got IRS with coils which aren't wrapped around the shocks and no TEMS. Im wanting to lower and firm up the suspension etc, and as far as brakes I just need more stopping power (I have read the thread on z32 upgrades, any chance of this fitting?)

any ideas or advise greatly appreciated...
  Send a private message to this user    
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Mark II questions.... Wed, 12 January 2005 01:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Z32 stuff should fit as you should be running the same gear as the MX73.

As for suspension, custom springs (or rewound kings/lovells), and some Tokico HP shocks, with new poly-urethane bushes and she should handle.

Off the shelf Kings are too soft.
Trust me on that one.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Mark II questions.... Wed, 12 January 2005 01:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was just thinking that my springs aren't quite what I want. do they have to be higher rate from the factory, or can something be done to my existing kings to increase the rate? (hopeful stab in the dark here)
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Mark II questions.... Wed, 12 January 2005 02:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No higher rate from factory (unless you ask them to do it)

I plan to get all mine rewound, have the car lowered, and get it stiffer in the next few weeks.
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Mark II questions.... Wed, 12 January 2005 02:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chat to your local suspension gurus about what might be the right spring rate for your car and intended purpose.

Measure the installed height of your springs (to the nearest 5mm) whilst in the car at usual load.

Take out spring.

Take spring to local friendly springworks. Ask them to make spring to specified rate and desired installed height* and to the same dimensions as the spring you are holding in your hand.

Return later that afternoon, pay $80-90 per pair and install your custom springs.

*For struts, movement ratio is 1:1, so a reduction in installed height by x mm will result in the same reduction in ride height. Otherwise you'll need to multiply the desired reduction in ride height by your movement factor.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Mark II questions.... Wed, 12 January 2005 02:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and be stuck with a pair of ma61 king springs Razz
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Mark II questions.... Wed, 12 January 2005 02:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gianttomato wrote on Wed, 12 January 2005 12:42

Chat to your local suspension gurus about what might be the right spring rate for your car and intended purpose.

Measure the installed height of your springs (to the nearest 5mm) whilst in the car at usual load.

Take out spring.

Take spring to local friendly springworks. Ask them to make spring to specified rate and desired installed height* and to the same dimensions as the spring you are holding in your hand.

Return later that afternoon, pay $80-90 per pair and install your custom springs.

*For struts, movement ratio is 1:1, so a reduction in installed height by x mm will result in the same reduction in ride height. Otherwise you'll need to multiply the desired reduction in ride height by your movement factor.

GT is right, except I've never seen a pair of custom wound/rated springs for that price !!! Anyway, follow his advice Very Happy
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Mark II questions.... Wed, 12 January 2005 02:16 Go to previous message
They might chop a coil out of them and rewind them at an appropriate height, but I'd sell them! Smile

Brown's here in Thomastown do >600 lb/in for $95, <600 for $85, and coilover style springs for around $60.

[Updated on: Wed, 12 January 2005 02:18]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:87 celica auto to manual conversion
Next Topic:some advise will go down well (ra 65 hints)
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 12:02:51 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0044260025024414 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.