Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
NAMDAMAMI
Occasional Poster

November 2004
TA22 steering Sat, 13 November 2004 10:48 Go to next message
Hello everyone.

I own a UK spec TA22 Celica 1974. Great car let down by dead steering.

Does anyone know if there is a good conversion to rack and pinion, has anyone done it before ?

Failing that, is there anything i can do to improve the stock set-up ?

Cheers.
  Send a private message to this user    
riceburna73
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: TA22 steering Sat, 13 November 2004 10:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
welcome mate,yeh there is a conversion you can do,,it was covered some time ago,try doing a search in this section as I wouldnt know much about it...good luck.
Dale_ta22
Regular

September 2004
Re: TA22 steering Sat, 13 November 2004 13:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The rack and pinion conversion uses a rack from a corolla, I think someone even did power steering using the rack from a mazda of some type?

Anyhow do a search as said above and you'll find some info on it!
NAMDAMAMI
Occasional Poster

November 2004
Re: TA22 steering Mon, 10 January 2005 22:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks guys, I think I found it (eventually). There's a hell of a lot of stuff to trawl through - good site though, not too much BS as is usually the case with web forums.

So I need a KE70 rack. Thing is, I don't know what a KE70 is (that's the bit I couldn't find, Corolla ? year ?) or if it was available in the UK.

[Updated on: Mon, 10 January 2005 22:27]

fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: TA22 steering Mon, 10 January 2005 23:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mate welcome... with the right tools any rack and pinion setup would fit... the main thing you need to look for is another car that has RnP and is the same wheelbase as the celica... also you want the RnP connection point to be as close to the driver side as possible to reduce the head ache of conencting the rnP to the steering rack

once you have found one then you have to get it lined up and a mount fabricated to get the RnP to sit on it at the right height and in the right position so that it is not more to one side than the other... if it sits too much to one side then your alignment capabilities will be off and if it is sitting to high/low then the steering will be stuffed and could cause damage down the trackas its not turning level

then you need to fabricate a metal rod basicaly to link between the RnP and the steering rack

get alignement and all is done

as for the original you can get them rebuilt either to stock specs or change the size of the internals to some degree to get varying results...
TA40ST
Occasional Poster

October 2003
Re: TA22 steering Mon, 10 January 2005 23:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi
I may be some help, even though I took a slightly 'unorthodox' approach on this problem....
http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=19578&rid=&S=b57e8f421fcc9fc54ed2da35bfe e3a01&pl_view=&start=0#msg_160516[img]
(Some photo's and info towards the bottom of the thread)

I'm in the UK (Cardiff), so your quite welcome to come and have a look/chat, it may not be what your going to do exactly, but just sometimes seeing what other people have done is enough inspiration to get a project going.

Cheers and good luck

GT
NAMDAMAMI
Occasional Poster

November 2004
Re: TA22 steering Tue, 11 January 2005 16:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Gareth, that was the main thread I'd read. Your conversion looks great and would love to see the car one day (maybe JAE this year?).

I've got a few idea's running in my head for another way of possibly putting R&P into my 22. Need to do a bit more research first, and will open a new thread for other people's comments / idea's.

Found that a KE70 is a Corolla of 1980 vintage - still don't know if it was available in the UK though. Even it if it was, got a feeling it may be hard to come by. 20 year old Japanese cars don't survive our winters very well; which makes them rare old beasts.
Hodgie
Regular

February 2004
Re: TA22 steering Wed, 12 January 2005 03:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just been in contact with Quaife Engineering to see if they had any plans to bring out a R&P conversion kit for the TA22. The unfortunate answer is no. Oh well, it was worth a shot.
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: TA22 steering Wed, 12 January 2005 04:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you are after a pre-fabricated kit or something maybe castlemain rod shop would be the place to talk to. I think they do R&P kits. But not sure if they do for early Celica's.
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: TA22 steering Wed, 12 January 2005 06:50 Go to previous message
well if someone is prepared to fork out for a custom made one for a '22 and then get that mainstreamed for others ten that is also VERY possible...

im more than happy to be the guinea pig and get the first one custom made but i dont have the money as its going to more important things to get the car legal ATM
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:ra40 disks but whats with my calipers?
Next Topic:URGENT : Info required 3SGTE (ST165)
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 06:51:00 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0055980682373047 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.