Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
matt_84
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Charging problem Wed, 12 January 2005 01:07 Go to next message
Okey dokey, after replacing a dead fan clutch, the alternator light on the girlfriends car is now staying on...a multimeter shows the battery is sitting on about 11.5 volts at idle.

Before replacement, the fan clutch was locked into place (ie rooted), keeping the fan turning at full engine speed for a few weeks, until I had a chance to change it the other day.

The waterpump/fan pulley also turns the alternator, so i'm wondering if the problem is simply coincidental (and seemingly obligatory "new-problem-having-just-fixed-the-old-one&qu ot;), or may be related to running the dead fan for too long prior.

The car in question is an EA falcon, but i don't think that really matters in this context...

Cheers, Matt
  Send a private message to this user    
Dirty_Sanchez
Regular

January 2004

Re: Charging problem Wed, 12 January 2005 01:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
some similar happen to my girlfriend's old EA fairmont. i'd say it's the belt that's probably slipping or worn. could also be that the alternator might be shagged?

I'd have to say that the engines in the EA series falcon have got to be the worst designed Ford engine ever.
matt_84
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Charging problem Wed, 12 January 2005 01:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I tried tightening the belt just then, dunno if that would prove/disprove anything, but nothing changed. Revving the engine doesn't change voltage either, and the voltage from the alternator itself is reading the same 11.5 v.

I think the alternator is rooted.
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Charging problem Wed, 12 January 2005 03:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tried cleaning the terminals/plugs up on the alt before chucking it? might be a connectivity problem (tho i doubt it).

replace with reco unit?

personally, i'd avoid getting an ashdown reco'd alternator as they seem to have a short half-life.
Bert
Regular

May 2003
Re: Charging problem Wed, 12 January 2005 04:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey man, by the sounds of things the alternator is not putting any charge into the battery. i had the exact same problem last week in my bluebird. turns out the VOLTAGE REGULATOR on the back of the alternator was stuffed. after i took the alternator off and too the reg out i saw that the brushes were totally rooted, i put a new reg in it ($45) put the alternator back on and tightened the belt.

now she is sweet as. charging at 14v.
id be checking your voltage reg. or getting some one who knows bout em to change it. i reakon thats your problem.....
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: Charging problem Wed, 12 January 2005 06:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
check voltage from the back of the alternator and if it is higher than the battery

it could be the wire that goes from the alternator to the battery

if its around the same maybe your alternator needs new bushes
take it to a auto elec and they ussually do a free test
BradW
Regular

April 2004
Re: Charging problem Wed, 12 January 2005 07:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you are going to change the reg you can do it in the car, just make sure you disconnect the battery first. Otherwise you can short out the terminals on the reg and destroy it.

Brad
matt_84
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Charging problem Wed, 12 January 2005 09:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I just got an alternator from ABC today, $35, so i'll see what that does. I can always take it back. Guess we'll see tomorrow.

BTW, charles, there was a corolla there, with a 4age, but someone had already pinched the plugs from the loom.
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Charging problem Wed, 12 January 2005 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
matt_84 wrote on Wed, 12 January 2005 19:18

BTW, charles, there was a corolla there, with a 4age, but someone had already pinched the plugs from the loom.

THE BASTARDS!

... Razz Embarassed
turbokid
Regular

May 2002
Re: Charging problem Wed, 12 January 2005 10:54 Go to previous message
I have a charging related problem as well.

My alternator is overcharging. And I keep blowing the charge fuse. Its also effected the instrument cluster, no ign lights or anything. Been trying to track it down for like a week now. It's giving me the shits.

Oh and its 4ac. If anyone can help.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Sticky lifters i think
Next Topic:Please HELP - wiring diagram: ae101 20v
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue Apr 30 03:17:57 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.005836009979248 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.