Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » What oil to use on a RA28 with stock motor?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
MADMR2
Occasional Poster

November 2002
What oil to use on a RA28 with stock motor? Thu, 07 November 2002 00:27 Go to next message
My g/f recently bought a RA28 and the oil needs changing. Waht oil do people recommend to use on these engines (I take it its a 18RC) Sorry I don't know much about these cars. Can someone please help my g/f and I out.

Thanks

Send a private message to this user    
ra23celicachick
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: What oil to use on a RA28 with stock motor? Thu, 07 November 2002 00:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I use oil specifically for older engines. I can't remember the brands. I know there's one in a black bottle with a blue and yellow lable and I think there is a shell one as well. Usually on the lables it will say for older engines. This oil tends to be thicker so is better for the engine. If you go into your local auto accessory store and say that you want oil for an old engine they'll point you in the right direction
Malicia
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What oil to use on a RA28 with stock motor? Thu, 07 November 2002 00:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
When i ran Castrol Magnatec my 18rc ran real smooth.
It has a rating of 10W-40 which i think is good for older engines.. someone correct me if i'm wrong.
ra23celicachick
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: What oil to use on a RA28 with stock motor? Thu, 07 November 2002 01:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah, that's one I've also used.
ae101rKev
Occasional Poster

October 2002
Re: What oil to use on a RA28 with stock motor? Thu, 07 November 2002 03:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Castrol magnatec is ok, but Valvoline Engine Armor has a heaps higher Velocity index and costs about the same.
It has a SAE rating of 15W/40

Magnatec has a SAE rating of 10W/40, but in Australia such a low winter grade is not needed.

The SAE 10/40 is the thickness of the oil 10 being the cold start/40 being maximun protection factor, the velocity index is the sheer factor ie how much it reduces wear.

Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: What oil to use on a RA28 with stock motor? Thu, 07 November 2002 05:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I might be just bitching but I don't think that anyone who refers to viscosity as velocity should be giving advice on the matter.

Maybe a look at some definition of the ratings would be in order, something like http://www.api.org/programs_services/quality/oilgu ide.pdf. YOu'll need a PDF reader to read that one but it explains what the numbers mean.
RA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: What oil to use on a RA28 with stock motor? Thu, 07 November 2002 05:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Hmm...I just used home brand oil. like 5 bucks for 4 litres. I figured that the engine is only worth like 100 bucks anyway!. I thrashed the crap out of it and it never missed a beat.

Tim
ae101rKev
Occasional Poster

October 2002
Re: What oil to use on a RA28 with stock motor? Thu, 07 November 2002 05:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It’s up to MADMR2 who he listens to, maybe I should check what my spell check has replaced words with a bit better. The document linked to does not discuss the Viscosity Index at all, only the Viscosity of the oil, so how is it a help what I was talking about with wear factors? Oil flow from the viscosity at a given temp is important to ensure enough oil is supplied, but the level of it’s ability to prevent wear is another factor.

MADMR2
Occasional Poster

November 2002
Re: What oil to use on a RA28 with stock motor? Thu, 07 November 2002 23:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thank you very much to everyone who replied. My G/F ended up getting the oil herself by asking someone from Autobarn they recommended to use Castrol.

GIN51E
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2002

Re: What oil to use on a RA28 with stock motor? Fri, 08 November 2002 08:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Castrol Magnatec is heaps good i found my engine had more power with it and i sent an email to castrol asking what engine oil they recommend and i got a phone call the next day and the guy explained it all to me and said magnatec is the best way to go, but that was when i was on my L's and once i got my P's i found it tended to use the oil by burning it off ect, so now i use Shell Sport Plus for high reving engine as its nice and thick and engnine doesn't loose a drop of oil, ecept for out of the oil preassure sensor but thats just because i stuffed the thread Rolling Eyes might go back to magnatec again to see if i still have a burning oil problem as the engine ran like a dream on that stuff.
juzzo84
Forums Junkie

September 2002
icon12.gif  Re: What oil to use on a RA28 with stock motor? Fri, 08 November 2002 21:53 Go to previous message
when i had my RA, i used PENZOIL, its was suited for older engines and turbo cars, its real good, dont have any leaky probs, not to much smoke and never got glugy!!
JUZZO
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:2TG Bearings in a 3TGTE?
Next Topic:4a-ge 20v into a 4ac engine bay
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 19:55:23 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0050311088562012 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.