Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Jamois
Occasional Poster

January 2005
3t gte into an Ra65 Fri, 07 January 2005 01:58 Go to next message
Hey guys, I'm new to this forum (have been on celica.net for a long time though) and am currently planning abit of a makeover for my '84 RA65 celica. I am looking at full respray, top-of-the-line suspension and a 3tgte motor (and a supra rear-end at a later date if I can get one).

I will be doing pretty much all the work myself except for a few of the trickier body repairs and the actual spraying of the car which will be done by a shop.

I've searched and searched but so far have come up empty-handed on this forum as far as this motor into this car is concerned despite the fact the JDM celica had this motor and should be a direct bolt-in.

So I was just wondering, can anybody suggest to me some of the trial and tribulation I may come across during this conversion? If I get a half-cut I shouldnt need to worry about bellhousing etc. And I already have all the EFI equipment I should need installed on my 22RE.

So is there anything I am missing? I am hoping to have this engine conversion done for around $2k. Is this a realistic figure, considering I will be doing it all myself?

thanks guys.
  Send a private message to this user    
YelloRolla
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 3t gte into an Ra65 Fri, 07 January 2005 02:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
$2K is unrealistic, as these motors are no longer very common from the importers (I last seen a half cut about 3yrs ago) they command a few dollars. The last time I priced a 3T GTE as a motor, gearbox, ECU package it was $2K, figure base cost + fuel pump, fuel lines, filters, oil, plugs, exhaust and pizzas for your mates I reckon you could easily double that figure without breaking a sweat.

While the RA65 may have been released with the 3T in Japan there are much better alternatives around. The 1G GTE is more commonly available and makes good sense (2L 6cyl. 24 valve vs 1.8L 4cyl. 8 valve).

Just an idea.

Good luck with your conversion.

Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 3t gte into an Ra65 Fri, 07 January 2005 03:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Agreed. Even if you get the engine for free, $2k is an unrealistic figure - unless you manage to find a TA63 front cut that is, but your chances are very slim.
Jamois
Occasional Poster

January 2005
Re: 3t gte into an Ra65 Wed, 12 January 2005 00:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey guys, thanks for the replies.

The reason I wanted the 3T was because I want to keep the car a 4 cylinder for rego and etc. and I just wanted a 4 cyl, not a 6. I've seen front cuts advertised in some places for around $2500 for the 3T. I also dont see why I would need new fuel lines etc as I already have an injected car with brand new pump and the exhaust should only need modification to the top half. Plus, we already have an engine crane so my mates can forget their pizza Very Happy So I can't see the conversion costing $4k but thanks for the input.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 3t gte into an Ra65 Wed, 12 January 2005 09:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The difference in rego cost is what, $100 a year? Not even worth considering next to the cost of an engine conversion, which WILL cost a lot of money (easily $4k), despite what you seem to believe.

But hey, it's your money...
Jamois
Occasional Poster

January 2005
Re: 3t gte into an Ra65 Thu, 13 January 2005 07:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well it isn't just the rego its also the fuel consumption and the fact the 1g gte is twin turbo which i see as twin $$$/ twin tuning if it goes wrong. I also just want a 4 cylinder car. not a 6. but hey, maybe if the 3t is such a terrible and stupid idea maybe ill look at a 3s
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: 3t gte into an Ra65 Thu, 13 January 2005 08:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
turbo an 18rg then mate if you dont want a 3TGTE
alex_ta22
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: 3t gte into an Ra65 Thu, 13 January 2005 08:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jamois wrote on Thu, 13 January 2005 18:53

Well it isn't just the rego its also the fuel consumption and the fact the 1g gte is twin turbo which i see as twin $$$/ twin tuning if it goes wrong. I also just want a 4 cylinder car. not a 6. but hey, maybe if the 3t is such a terrible and stupid idea maybe ill look at a 3s

The 1g is the same capacity as the 3s, and running an engine with 1 turbo is just as expensive as one with 2. also a 1g running in stock form has more hp than a 3s running in stock form.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 3t gte into an Ra65 Thu, 13 January 2005 09:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
He's talking about the 3T-GTE (1.8 litre), not the 3S-GTE.

Having said that, I can almost guarantee the 1G will use less fuel, largely because of its higher compression ratio (8.5:1 vs 7.5:1) and far more sophisticated engine management. The number of turbos makes no difference to fuel consumption.
Jamois
Occasional Poster

January 2005
Re: 3t gte into an Ra65 Thu, 13 January 2005 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok, well if all this is true then i am seriously coming around to the 1g gte view. what are the turbos on the 1g gte and are they reliable?

I'm also coming around because the 1g gte is a newer motor and should be easier to find a fresher one
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: 3t gte into an Ra65 Thu, 13 January 2005 09:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jamois wrote on Thu, 13 January 2005 19:27

Ok, well if all this is true then i am seriously coming around to the 1g gte view. what are the turbos on the 1g gte and are they reliable?

I'm also coming around because the 1g gte is a newer motor and should be easier to find a fresher one

the 1ggte turbos arent the best...thats putting it mildly
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 3t gte into an Ra65 Thu, 13 January 2005 10:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
V8_MA61 wrote on Thu, 13 January 2005 17:48

the 1ggte turbos arent the best...thats putting it mildly

They are plenty reliable, just small. Guarantee they are better than the CT20 on the 3TGTE.
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: 3t gte into an Ra65 Thu, 13 January 2005 10:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
they are still crap tho Wink

put a t04 on either of the mentioned engines and itll go like a shower of shit..or put a v8 in it Wink
Jamois
Occasional Poster

January 2005
Re: 3t gte into an Ra65 Thu, 13 January 2005 10:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
haha i just want to keep the engine standard for a long while anyway, going from ~115hp to ~210hp should be fine for a while. i just want to know if they are reliable if left standard. Another reason I'm now moving away from the 3Tgte is its weak CT20 turbo.
frontspinner
Regular

January 2005
Re: 3t gte into an Ra65 Thu, 13 January 2005 10:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hello, you are not going to believe your luck!
they tell you that you might get a 3tgteu for $2000 if you're lucky...well how much would you pay for a genuine JDM import, TA65 GT-T celica?
i have a freind who has one that he wants to sell.
it has a 3TGTE, W55 gearbox, LSD, digital dash, supra interior,(bucket seats with air pump) leather steering wheel, turbo timer, cd head unit, sub-woofer, tinted windows, and lowered about 2 inches all round, he bought it off the guy who imported it a few years ago for about $6000 i think.
my mate isnt really into cars anymore, and wants something a bit tamer/cheaper to run.
its in overall pretty good condition, theres a small bend on the front right bumper, and it blows a little smoke, hes convinced the turbo is stuffed, i think it has more to do with the fact that the coil sends most of its spark, to the strut tower, the thing is missing like buggery, but i would bet my top dollar that if the coil was replaced, it would be fine. last time i asked him how much he wanted he said "15 hundred and a KE30" so i guess if anyone wants it, ring me and make an offer and ill consult him.
if you would like to ask any questions, or make an offer my number is 0401974625 my name is chris.

[Updated on: Thu, 13 January 2005 10:32]

alex_ta22
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: 3t gte into an Ra65 Thu, 13 January 2005 11:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Thu, 13 January 2005 20:19

He's talking about the 3T-GTE (1.8 litre), not the 3S-GTE.

No, I believe he said the 3s

Quote:

but hey, maybe if the 3t is such a terrible and stupid idea maybe ill look at a 3s

Jamois
Occasional Poster

January 2005
Re: 3t gte into an Ra65 Thu, 13 January 2005 11:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how much heavier would the 1g be than the 3t or 3s? would it be lighter or heavier than my current 2.4L 4cylinder 22RE?

[Updated on: Thu, 13 January 2005 11:46]

alex_ta22
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: 3t gte into an Ra65 Thu, 13 January 2005 11:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
definatly lighter than the 22re, unsure about the 3t/3s
setsuna
Forums Junkie

July 2004

Re: 3t gte into an Ra65 Thu, 13 January 2005 13:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the 3TGTE should bolt straight in.
I have this engine in my TA63 (used to be in SA60)
with the celica engine mounts its a direct fit.
.. assuming the 22R engine mounts on the chassis are in the same location.. it would abe a direct bolt in for you, too.

call around, theres even a few for sale on these forums I think.
I called a wrecker over here(wa) and he had one in need of a rebuild (bearing trouble) for $400 I think it was.

I paid a little more for mine though Sad $800 in car + rebuild

everything lines up.

as long as there is a W seriex box in there now.. even the tailshaft will be correct.

the celica has all mounts/bolt holes everything for the 3TG oil cooler.. everything!

if you need any more info/pics, should be able to help you out Smile
Wezelton
Regular

July 2004
Re: 3t gte into an Ra65 Wed, 19 January 2005 07:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was thinking about the same conversion for my RA60 celica, but im still trying to sus out what will work out better. I even thought about rebuilding the 22re and making it bit tuffer for some boostage, either way, the conversion will easy go 2k+

I've had a quick search for a 3TGTE but not so much luck, but i know if i looked more i would find one, but because there an old motor, i would most likely have to rebuild it, theres more money again. Would the 3SGTE be worth it ? custom bell housing an a few other assorted goodies.

As for keeping the 4 cylinder set up, im with that too, i'd love a 6 but thats my next car.

Has anyone got a link to some good info on the engine ?

On another note, what sort of troubles would you have getting a mod plate for a CA18DET in a celica ? any help would be appreciated.

peace wez
Jamois
Occasional Poster

January 2005
Re: 3t gte into an Ra65 Thu, 20 January 2005 01:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my guess would be that the trouble with a ca18 would'nt be in the mod plate but in the money and effort in the modification itself.
cheese_cracka
Regular

June 2004
Re: 3t gte into an Ra65 Sat, 05 February 2005 01:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
setsuna wrote on Fri, 14 January 2005 00:45

the 3TGTE should bolt straight in.
I have this engine in my TA63 (used to be in SA60)
with the celica engine mounts its a direct fit.
.. assuming the 22R engine mounts on the chassis are in the same location.. it would abe a direct bolt in for you, too.

call around, theres even a few for sale on these forums I think.
I called a wrecker over here(wa) and he had one in need of a rebuild (bearing trouble) for $400 I think it was.

I paid a little more for mine though Sad $800 in car + rebuild

everything lines up.

as long as there is a W seriex box in there now.. even the tailshaft will be correct.

the celica has all mounts/bolt holes everything for the 3TG oil cooler.. everything!

if you need any more info/pics, should be able to help you out Smile

so if the 3T bolts strait into a SA60 does that mean it would bolt strait into a RA60? im in need of a new engine coz tha old 21R-C has got so many oil leaks its not funny my mechanic said it would cost abot 2-3K to get them all fixed so yeh......
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 3t gte into an Ra65 Sat, 05 February 2005 01:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It will bolt right in if you have a TA63 crossmember. The RA60 crossmember might be the same, but probably not.
Purple_Beasty
Regular

May 2002
Re: 3t gte into an Ra65 Sat, 05 February 2005 02:05 Go to previous message
Norbie wrote on Sat, 05 February 2005 14:58

It will bolt right in if you have a TA63 crossmember. The RA60 crossmember might be the same, but probably not.

The RA60 crossmember is definitely not the same.

Callum
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:1jz/2jz ignition systems
Next Topic:1J with lots of throttle bodies
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 8 11:39:36 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0074231624603271 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.