Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » New RX-7 ???

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
74gt
Regular

October 2004
New RX-7 ??? Tue, 11 January 2005 10:30 Go to next message
There might already be another thread on this somewhere but...meh

Apparently Mazda have a new RX-7 Cool on the drawing board if not a well advanced prototype somewhere.

A site claimed that mazda is going to use the RX-8 floor pan, although the new RX-7 body will be much shorter and wider than the RX-8. As for the engine, it will apparently have the new renesis with an extra rotar, making it a 1.6lt engine, instead of the 1.3 it is now and should develop between 300 - 320 hp.

Exciting times ahead with the new RX-7 + Supra + R35 Skyline(if it isn't out in Japan already)/350z

Cool
  Send a private message to this user    
Intensevil
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: New RX-7 ??? Tue, 11 January 2005 15:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mazda are going back to their roots with this car. It won't be the twin sequential turbocharged monstercar its brother was but will be much more similar to the s1-3 models.
They are aiming for an extremely low weight of 1 tonne and the chassis is based off of the rx8 chassis.
The engine will be a larger displacement renesis twin rotor unit, i'm not 100% sure on the maths but it should be about 1.5ltre (by widening the rotors another 10 mm as mazda have done from the 12a to the 13b)
It will not be released as a forced induction model but rather naturally aspirated. 300hp is easily obtainable but it will definatly be pushing more.
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: New RX-7 ??? Tue, 11 January 2005 16:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
good to hear that mazda is still making cars like the good old days in late 80s early 90s Smile
74gt
Regular

October 2004
Re: New RX-7 ??? Wed, 12 January 2005 02:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think we can bet on that it won't have pop up head lights Sad

When I was in Japan in 2003, I was in a homestay and the father in the family was like the CEO of Continental brakes in Japan, and he hinted then that Mazda were thinking of bringing back the 7.

Should be a very interesting car when it makes its debut.
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: New RX-7 ??? Wed, 12 January 2005 16:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
74gt wrote on Wed, 12 January 2005 13:47

I think we can bet on that it won't have pop up head lights Sad

When I was in Japan in 2003, I was in a homestay and the father in the family was like the CEO of Continental brakes in Japan, and he hinted then that Mazda were thinking of bringing back the 7.

Should be a very interesting car when it makes its debut.

i have a feeling its gonna be dissapointing. most of the newer cars are dissapointing anyway Crying or Very Sad
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: New RX-7 ??? Thu, 13 January 2005 01:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
b1gb3n wrote on Thu, 13 January 2005 00:49

i have a feeling its gonna be dissapointing. most of the newer cars are dissapointing anyway Crying or Very Sad

In what way? RX8 and 350Z are awesome. Sure not as outright fast as their forefathers, but good fun cars.

[Updated on: Thu, 13 January 2005 01:20]

draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: New RX-7 ??? Thu, 13 January 2005 01:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and 300bhp through a 1 tonne car? it'll stomp supras with ease!

although I must say, rotaries need a turbo to give them some semblance of torque, otherwise it feels like the car is powered by a whipper snipper - endless revs with buggerall power

[Updated on: Thu, 13 January 2005 01:27]

b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: New RX-7 ??? Thu, 13 January 2005 05:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Thu, 13 January 2005 12:20

b1gb3n wrote on Thu, 13 January 2005 00:49

In what way? RX8 and 350Z are awesome. Sure not as outright fast as their forefathers, but good fun cars.

ya agree with what u say. but by the looks of things ppl would be expecting SOO MUCH from the new rx7 that itll be dissapointing. ppl are expecting it to be better than current FD and i think they will be dissapointed.

its not that mazda is gonna make a shit car, its ppl are over expecting
Intensevil
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: New RX-7 ??? Thu, 13 January 2005 05:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I doubt that they'll be dissapointed because the car will be better than the fd in everyway. The chassis is going to be much stiffer, its lighter weight with more power. Much more tuning potential due to the larger engine. In reality it doesnt have that much to live up to. Sure the fd was a great car but its very dated by todays standards.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: New RX-7 ??? Thu, 13 January 2005 09:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
b1gb3n wrote on Thu, 13 January 2005 13:14

ya agree with what u say. but by the looks of things ppl would be expecting SOO MUCH from the new rx7 that itll be dissapointing. ppl are expecting it to be better than current FD and i think they will be dissapointed.

Considering the RX8 is as refined as it is, yet when Top Gear tested it around their track it level pegged a BMW M3 for times, I don't think people will be dissatisfied when Mazda applies the same approach, yet makes it faster and more focused, I wouldn't be complaining! Laughing
74gt
Regular

October 2004
Re: New RX-7 ??? Thu, 13 January 2005 11:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well it looks like I'm gonna need a house with a triple garage...Red mazdaspeed/sydney motor show RX-8 + New RX-7 + TA22 Celica Smile
Intensevil
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: New RX-7 ??? Thu, 13 January 2005 11:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
one thing about the rx8 a lot of people dont really know. The ecu tuning done by mazda is VERY very sloppy. Some yanks on the rx8club forum have put on a piggy back ecu, exhaust and have been able to bring out over 300hp reliably. So a 1.6 could theoretically be able to produce 346hp... NA
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: New RX-7 ??? Thu, 13 January 2005 13:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
74gt wrote on Tue, 11 January 2005 21:30

Apparently Mazda have a new RX-7 Cool on the drawing board if not a well advanced prototype somewhere.

A site claimed that mazda is going to use the RX-8 floor pan, although the new RX-7 body will be much shorter and wider than the RX-8. As for the engine, it will apparently have the new renesis with an extra rotar, making it a 1.6lt engine, instead of the 1.3 it is now and should develop between 300 - 320 hp.

Exciting times ahead with the new RX-7 + Supra + R35 Skyline(if it isn't out in Japan already)/350z

Cool

if it had an extra rotor it would be more like 2 ltr
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: New RX-7 ??? Thu, 13 January 2005 14:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Intensevil wrote on Thu, 13 January 2005 19:56

one thing about the rx8 a lot of people dont really know. The ecu tuning done by mazda is VERY very sloppy. Some yanks on the rx8club forum have put on a piggy back ecu, exhaust and have been able to bring out over 300hp reliably. So a 1.6 could theoretically be able to produce 346hp... NA

This would be very conservative tuning to help the very dirty rotary pass emissions standards Razz
Intensevil
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: New RX-7 ??? Thu, 13 January 2005 15:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
actualy the renesis has some funky port setup so that theres no overlap as both intake and exhaust ports are on the same face. Also some thing that runs unburnt fuel back into the intake port so emmissions shouldnt really be that much of a hassle
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: New RX-7 ??? Thu, 13 January 2005 15:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Renesis is a markedly improved engine from an emissions standpoint, but they still aren't super clean Smile Aside from the hydrogen powered versions of course Very Happy
Intensevil
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: New RX-7 ??? Thu, 13 January 2005 16:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i highly doubt a rotor will ever be "super clean" because piston engines simply have had so much research put behind them and were forced to become clean during the opec oil chrisis and what ensued.
But who cares about crap like that? (no offence to hippys)
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: New RX-7 ??? Thu, 13 January 2005 16:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't, I'd give your left nut for an RX8 Smile
cutsGotBoost
Regular

September 2004
Re: New RX-7 ??? Fri, 14 January 2005 01:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the "side port" in the renesis isnt much different to what heaps of people have done to their wizz bangers over the years, its just mazda made a big hype about it.

[Updated on: Fri, 14 January 2005 01:27]

74gt
Regular

October 2004
Re: New RX-7 ??? Fri, 14 January 2005 04:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4agte wrote on Fri, 14 January 2005 00:05

Cool

The website I got the info off said it would be either 1.5lt or 1.6lt. So as its a triple rotar engine, maybe the rotars will be thinner than they are now... making... i guess a 16b instead of another 20b.
forced_induction
Regular

August 2004
Re: New RX-7 ??? Sat, 22 January 2005 08:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
in the current issue of speed magazine (the one with the 13b ae86), it ssays very breifly at the start that mazda have given it the go ahead. it also says that the engine will almost definately be a two rotor based on the renesis. capacity will be increased with wider rotors to about 1.6l
eviltwin
Occasional Poster

January 2005
Re: New RX-7 ??? Sat, 22 January 2005 11:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sounds preety awsome, wonder if there are concept pics yet.
Intensevil
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: New RX-7 ??? Sat, 22 January 2005 12:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
theres a crapload of conecept picks but none are official.

Personally, i'd just like to see it look like the mx5 coupe but with rx7 styling cues (pop up lights, large round rear window, and more aggressive styling all round)

http://media8.motorcities.com/03BKE184927768A.jpeg
http://wawawoum.imagesford.free.fr/images/japon/mazda/2003_roadster-coupe_6.jpg
joorsh
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: New RX-7 ??? Sun, 23 January 2005 00:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
forced_induction wrote on Sat, 22 January 2005 19:54

in the current issue of speed magazine (the one with the 13b ae86), it ssays very breifly at the start that mazda have given it the go ahead. it also says that the engine will almost definately be a two rotor based on the renesis. capacity will be increased with wider rotors to about 1.6l

In fact, I think you should ALL go out and buy the latest issue of speed magazine, and turn to pages 124 & 125 Very Happy
eviltwin
Occasional Poster

January 2005
Re: New RX-7 ??? Sun, 23 January 2005 01:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that mx5 looks alright
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: New RX-7 ??? Sun, 23 January 2005 01:43 Go to previous message
74gt wrote on Fri, 14 January 2005 15:45

4agte wrote on Fri, 14 January 2005 00:05

Cool

The website I got the info off said it would be either 1.5lt or 1.6lt. So as its a triple rotar engine, maybe the rotars will be thinner than they are now... making... i guess a 16b instead of another 20b.

Mazda said that there are a couple of ways to increase the power in the rotor one is forced induction which mazda said they wont use the other is to add an extra rotor but mazda said that would add undesirable weight to the car the last is to make the rotors bigger which is the preferred option so id say we will be looking at a 1.6 ltr version of the renisys motor.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:13b celica turbo manifold question.
Next Topic:Need Transport In Bisbane
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 18 19:24:14 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00742506980896 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.