Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
swayer08
Occasional Poster

September 2004

icon5.gif  running on gas Thu, 13 January 2005 18:12 Go to next message
just wondering if u have ur car running on gas and petrol.. like u can switch from one to the other.. does it stuff the motor up more??? i got told off some guy who think he knows it all about cars it stuffs it all up..

would it better just to run it on one or the other?????
  Send a private message to this user    
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: running on gas Thu, 13 January 2005 20:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
for starters every now and again a car running on gas does need some petty run through it. But you have to remember that cars runnning on gas have been tuned to do so, thus runnning them on petrol long term would be ill advised unless the car was retuned to run on petrol
chrisellis
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: running on gas Thu, 13 January 2005 23:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ive seen it in an ex-taxi, id assume most older taxi's would still have both, the car i saw had a swith in the dash to swap between the types of fuel, i was young then and had no interest in it, so i cant tell u more.
M.J.H
Forums Junkie

April 2003

Re: running on gas Fri, 14 January 2005 03:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If the motor is tuned to run on gas then petrol can be a bad thing.One van i know of used to run sweet on gas and ping like crazy on petrol.
As for me i got an EL Falcon that has had a motor in recently and was never tuned/adjusted to run on gas yet has no problem doing so.I just put 20 odd litres of fuel thru it each week and it is still going strong on both petrol and gas.AND THIS IS IN A CAB THAT DOES ABOUT 3,000klms a week.
Probably all comes down to what sort of application it is on i suppose.

EDIT typos.

[Updated on: Fri, 14 January 2005 03:21]

soaringmik
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: running on gas Fri, 14 January 2005 06:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My dad has a VR calais and it has been dual fuel since new in 1993,.. the car has done over 280,000k's on gas and petrol, and has not had any major problems.

A car can run well on both if the setup is of a decent quality.

rthy
Forums Junkie

January 2004
wtf is a jabber? a punch line?
Re: running on gas Fri, 14 January 2005 09:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
would a 4ac run on gas? and/or 4age? iv heard of the euro 3cyl gas conversions Confused
swayer08
Occasional Poster

September 2004

Re: running on gas Fri, 14 January 2005 17:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks for the imput guys.. i think she runs better on gas too. but sometimes it feels like shes gunna stall when im going under20k
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: running on gas Fri, 14 January 2005 23:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No Message Body

[Updated on: Thu, 20 January 2005 03:56]

thu187
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: running on gas Mon, 17 January 2005 06:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4AC requires Unleaded Petrol Only. Should say it when you open up your fuel cap.

My mate has a 92ish Ford Fairmont and his car can run on both no problem. There's a switch to let the car know whether you're filling up with gas or petty.
SetMeFree
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: running on gas Mon, 17 January 2005 06:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i had an old mechanic of mine who converted his excel to run on gas....... also ive seen a 1987 nissan pulsar run on gas. oh and the excel was auto Laughing Laughing Laughing
towe_001
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: running on gas Tue, 18 January 2005 16:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thu187 wrote on Mon, 17 January 2005 17:16

4AC requires Unleaded Petrol Only. Should say it when you open up your fuel cap.

It doesn't matter. The only thing to concider with running on gas (or LPG or CNG) is that its a dry fuel and adding a lubricant (like valve saver) into the fuel is a must if the vehicle in question is to be used on gas and nothing else. If the vehicle uses dual fuels you can get away without the lubricant but switching over to the petrol every so often is a must. But apart from that running on straight gas is a snit load better for both power and the EPA. As long as the motor has been tuned for it. If not, the motor would make about the same, maybe less, power then on petrol and the gasman will love you just as must as the petrolman would.
EnFlaMEd
Regular

September 2003
Re: running on gas Wed, 19 January 2005 10:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A friend of mine's old man has an ea falcon ex taxi duel fueler thats done over 700,000kms engine in it i believe has done around 400,000+ it has had to have somework done over the years like any car but nothing caused by the gas.

There is also a guy in Tea Tree Gully with a red ae82 sedan (cant remember propper name ) running with duel fuel and it has a large cannon. Rolling Eyes

My TRX (fj20t) runs straight gas but has had valve work to prevent damaged caused by less lubrication.
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: running on gas Wed, 19 January 2005 13:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've looked into running on gas, and it doesn't seem worth it.
Sure gas is cheaper, but you also need more injected to produce the same amount of power.

On paper, when you consider the cost of conversion, it doesn't seem worth it to me.
wagonist
Forums Junkie

Toymods Club Treasurer

May 2002
Re: running on gas Sat, 22 January 2005 06:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I drive a BA falcon that's LPG only. hasn't had any problems with the engine yet. Mind you, its less than a year old & has done 30 000km.

If you want to run gas only, the compression ratio can be increased to bring the power back up to petrol equivalent.

Biggest thing is it depends on how many kms you drive to how soon you'll get you LPG kit money back.
Trent-KE30
Regular

I Supported Toymods

December 2003
Re: running on gas Sun, 23 January 2005 11:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my old man's 77' 308 holden statesman caprice has been on gas for about 3 years now, and it runs perfectly on gas and when you put it on petrol it pings it's arse off, he just has a little switch and you can change it, eg when you flick it right up the top its on gas, when it's in the middle it's got no fuel going to it, and when its right down the bottem she's on petrol,
i'll get you a piccie if you like.....

anyway cheers Trent
Fattony
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: running on gas Wed, 26 January 2005 04:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SetMeFree wrote on Mon, 17 January 2005 17:36

i had an old mechanic of mine who converted his excel to run on gas....... also ive seen a 1987 nissan pulsar run on gas. oh and the excel was auto Laughing Laughing Laughing

LOL i seen a security car that was a Holden Barina that was converted to run on gas. I remember sitting there thinking that these cars use 3/5's of fuck all petrol anyway so could you imagine how long it would take for you to actually recover the 2k that was used to do the gas conversion in the first place. You would have sold the car prob before this ever happend LOL

Cheers Adam
stradlater
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: running on gas Fri, 28 January 2005 03:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, but I have re-coped the costs of the gas install on my car reasonably quickly, agreed Fattony? Hrm, your fill, $35. Mine $12.44..

nuf said
Fattony
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: running on gas Fri, 28 January 2005 12:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gas is for BBQ's and tightarses.

Strad i really doubt you have done the km's, a quick calculation on my part says that you would have had to have done atleast 31,000km to have recovered the difference in petrol and gas, on the price of your install at 2k with the range of 350km per tank going by your prices. Razz Did you forget to carry a couple of zeros when you calculated it.

You might want to actually read what i wrote on the topic rather than going off the topic of what i initially stated that it was a waste of time time put gas on a 4 cyl 1.5l, did i once state in my post anything about the cost of gas on your car. Please stop wasting valuable space on the forums with your petty little competitiveness, i don't think any1 really cares, i know i don't.
rthy
Forums Junkie

January 2004
wtf is a jabber? a punch line?
Re: running on gas Fri, 28 January 2005 13:31 Go to previous message
maybe those pizza boys should think about one of those small ass 3cyl cars on gas...

you probly save more as petrol prices are bound to go up in the long run...
or just get motor bikes, or if ur really cheap get a push bike!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Ouch!
Next Topic:Anyone from Canberra still have 1 of these?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 5 12:04:18 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0053260326385498 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.