Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » The Outhouse » Martina Navratilova racist??

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Martina Navratilova racist?? Fri, 14 January 2005 21:28 Go to next message
i was just watching the sydney tennis tournament on channel 7 between alicia molik and shuai peng frm CHina. Commentator was martina navratilova and another person.

they were saying the the chinese player ping grew up in a foreign country (didnt hear where) but it was english speaking country. martina said something like "she's (peng) been there since she was 4 (19 now) and speaks broken english.....i have no respect for ppl who live in a country just to reap the benefits...(goes on to say something about not learning the culture or something like that)"

come on! Ur commenting a tennis match, not a political speach!! Who is she to say something like that!! Im sure she wouldnt say this if it was a european!!

I believe she grew up in america. Im also assuming that martina was the one who said it as the person saying it has a foreign non english accent. the other commentator is english speaking from the way it sounds.

btw, who's going to watch aussie open??
  Send a private message to this user    
Galactic Soap
Regular

December 2003
Re: Martina Navratilova racist?? Fri, 14 January 2005 22:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

she's (peng) been there since she was 4 (19 now) and speaks broken english.....i have no respect for ppl who live in a country just to reap the benefits...(goes on to say something about not learning the culture or something like that)"

Oh Martina, you dumb lesbian bitch, if thats what she said then she should be shot. I've had enough of people who think their opinions matter beyond their field of expertise. Who the fark is she to say that, oh Martina, you stupid lesbian bitch.

Cheers
Soapy
RA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Martina Navratilova racist?? Fri, 14 January 2005 22:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Galactic Soap wrote on Sat, 15 January 2005 09:18

Oh Martina, you dumb lesbian bitch, if thats what she said then she should be shot. I've had enough of people who think their opinions matter beyond their field of expertise. Who the fark is she to say that, oh Martina, you stupid lesbian bitch.

This leads me to beleive that your field of expertise is what people should say about topics beyond their field of expertise? As you are most certaintly voicing your opinion.

Tim.

[Updated on: Sat, 15 January 2005 02:38]

RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Martina Navratilova racist?? Sat, 15 January 2005 01:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RA28 wrote on Sat, 15 January 2005 09:52

This leads me to beleive that your field of expertise is what people should say about topics beyond their firel of expertise? As you are most certaintly voicing your opinion.

Tim.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

touché. to be honest I kinda like it when people start spouting their opinions when commentating. makes me laugh, the boyz on the cricket the other day were going on and on about the most trivial things and making me (and themselves) laugh Smile
RA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Martina Navratilova racist?? Sat, 15 January 2005 02:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah but they gotta on the cricket, 90% of the time nothings happening (it's designed that way so you have plenty of time to get another beer).

i like it when they start drawing on the screen...

Tim.
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Martina Navratilova racist?? Sat, 15 January 2005 03:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RA28 wrote on Sat, 15 January 2005 13:38

Yeah but they gotta on the cricket, 90% of the time nothings happening (it's designed that way so you have plenty of time to get another beer).

i like it when they start drawing on the screen...

Tim.

and talking about the seagulls
ahaha i love the cricket
RA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Martina Navratilova racist?? Sat, 15 January 2005 03:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I love it when the seagulls get rocked by the ball. Stoopid birds...
davedrifts
Regular

Banned User

September 2004
Re: Martina Navratilova racist?? Sat, 15 January 2005 03:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The crickets great, you guys watch the 20 20? that was sweet.
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: Martina Navratilova racist?? Sat, 15 January 2005 05:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RA28 wrote on Sat, 15 January 2005 09:52

This leads me to beleive that your field of expertise is what people should say about topics beyond their field of expertise? As you are most certaintly voicing your opinion.

Tim.

martina said it in a disgusting arrogant tone Mad
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Martina Navratilova racist?? Sat, 15 January 2005 06:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'll watch what I can of the tennis and the cricket.. both rock.
SEXY 16
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Martina Navratilova racist?? Sat, 15 January 2005 09:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tennis is crap apart from hearing the girls groan
get a motorsport video and watch somthing constructive Rolling Eyes
jackel
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: Martina Navratilova racist?? Sat, 15 January 2005 14:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the only time i'll watch tennis is if that sharapova is on, she fine hehehe
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Martina Navratilova racist?? Sun, 16 January 2005 09:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
b1gb3n wrote on Sat, 15 January 2005 08:28

I believe she (Martina) grew up in america.

She was born in (what was then) Czechoslovakia, migrated to the USA at the age of 19 or 20 and became a US citizen several years later. If anyone is entitled to comment on learning the native tongue of one's new country, then she most certainly is.

Not racist - just those who know her story understand where she's coming from.
thu187
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Martina Navratilova racist?? Sun, 16 January 2005 15:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't think it was racist what she said. She reckons that Shuai Peng moved to America just to reap the benefits of a more developed country. So? I know that's why my parents and a lot of people migrate to western countries.
So what if Peng speaks using broken english? As long as you get the message who cares? She went there and played tennis which means she was paying for coaching etc. which means she was providing a means of income to her coach etc. paying taxes etc. and contributing to society. It would be different if she was a drug dealer but she's not. Her contribution to society is positive and thus Navratilova can suck a dick.
Also, what were her reasons for moving from Czechoslovakia to the USA? I wonder...

All in all, it's great for channel 7. I will now watch the tennis lol Laughing
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: Martina Navratilova racist?? Sun, 16 January 2005 19:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well shuai peng is not the only player who moved to USA for tennis. i can tell u almost all the players in the ATP apart frm spanish and some european countries went to usa for tennis. paradon srichapan, marcelo rios, fernando gonzales, marat safin, sharapova, martina hingis, and even NAVRATILOVA!!! and many more!!

why pick on shuai ping?? like thu187 said she is paying for coaching and doing her part and all.
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Martina Navratilova racist?? Sun, 16 January 2005 22:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
b1gb3n wrote on Mon, 17 January 2005 06:46

why pick on shuai peng??

Because despite living in the USA for the best part of 2 decades, she can't speak English. That's pretty ordinary, given the facilities available for people to learn the native tongue of a country nowadays.
chrisss
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Martina Navratilova racist?? Mon, 17 January 2005 02:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
blgb3n you wouldnt happen to be of asian desent would u?

also living in a country for that length of time plus also the fact that she was very young when she got there and not picking the language up is probably not HER fault just her psycho parents..

no doubt they put a raquet in her hand when she plopped out....ahla tiger woods and the williams sisters....

her parents no doubt controlled every aspect of her childhood....self centred tossbags these type of people - but thats just my "opinion".

I guess that statement must make ME racist against asians AND african americans!!!!!
parsi
Occasional Poster

January 2004
Re: Martina Navratilova racist?? Mon, 17 January 2005 02:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i can see where you are coming from thinking she is racist but i have to disagree with you here.
racism is the belief that a race of people are inherently superior/or inferior to another race of people.
i think it is a bit of a long bow to stretch to suggest that Martina's comments fall within that sort of spectrum.
she is making a point of view that i think is not specifically aimed at shuai peng or asians but rather immigrants in general.

you make the point that martina would not make the same comment if the player was european. firstly i think she would extend her comments to a european player, and secondly this comparision is not valid as the situation is not sufficiently analogous. european commentater/ asian player verse european commentater/ european player.

a more helpful comparision would be a situation where a European player went over to China at age 4 to live there permanently. by the age of 19 this player can only speak smatterings of mandarin/catonese despite having lived in the country for 15 years. then at a tennis tournament a chinese commentator lambasted her for this insufficiency.

this also has the advantage of turning over the stereo type of racism( ie. that eurpoeans are the only racists, and blacks, asians are the only victims)

personally i think in both contexts (ie. what martina said and in my hypothetical example) the comments are not racist and are actually quite valid. i think it displays either an ignorant/ apathetic/ or cultuarally insensitive/selfish attitude not to competently learn the language of the country that has been so generous as to accept you as an immigrant.

my 2c...
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: Martina Navratilova racist?? Mon, 17 January 2005 04:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes im asian and i AGREE that she should be able to speak good english and her parents could have been snobbish etc etc....

im just not happy with the way martina put it. first of all she is not in a position to make a comment like that. 2nd she has been living in the states for at least 20yrs or rather during MY entire life. And she still has her accent which doesnt make her english sound fluent!! maybe she's not racist, but she's arrogant i'd say based on that coment.

yes im asian chinese blood. i come from malaysia. im an intl student here now. been here for a yr.

did anybody actually watch that match??
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: Martina Navratilova racist?? Mon, 17 January 2005 04:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i didnt start this thread saying she is racist, thats y there is a "?" on the title. i just wanted views wether her remark was racist or not. i am in no way calling her a racist for now.
thu187
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Martina Navratilova racist?? Mon, 17 January 2005 05:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It definitely isn't a racist comment but like I said, she's making a positive contribution towards society. You'd rather have her speak broken English but pay her taxes and provide an income for other people rather than speak perfect English and be a drug dealer or similar.
Is it ordinary that after so long she speaks in broken english? Well nobody knows the full extent of her circumstances. My guess? Her parents spent all their money on getting her to play tennis and thus she only REALLY needs to know words like racquet, hit, serve, volley, lob etc.
When you come from a poor country you want to do everything you can to break the cycle.

At the end of the day I will say again, her ability to speak English: ordinary? - maybe.
Her contribution to society however is positive and thus should be left alone.
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Martina Navratilova racist?? Mon, 17 January 2005 06:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
b1gb3n wrote on Mon, 17 January 2005 15:13

And she still has her accent which doesnt make her english sound fluent!! maybe she's not racist, but she's arrogant i'd say based on that coment [sic].

The fact that M.N. is employed to commentate displays that her command of English is sophisticated enough and eloquent enough for the average tennis viewer to easily understand her.

Having come from the other side of the Iron Curtain in the middle of the Cold War (with limited English, funds and friends) and outing herself in a pre 'Queer Eye' era to become the number one women's tennis player seven times, it is easy to see why Martina Navratilova might display such open disdain for Shaui Peng's mediocrity (both as tennis player and English speaker).
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: Martina Navratilova racist?? Mon, 17 January 2005 14:44 Go to previous message
shuai peng mediocre? 1st of all she's only 19, rather newcomer to circuit. 2nd of all she came from nowhere and made it to semis in that tornament and beating quite a few ppl along the way. i think that is a bloody good effort in her situation. did u see her go for the lines with her groundstroke?? alicia molik was just unstoppable that night
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:MY CAR IS POWERED BY LOVE AND SMILES
Next Topic:NEWCASTLE CRUISE
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 16:21:18 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0061290264129639 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.