Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Thruan
Occasional Poster

August 2004
5M-GE EMC conversion Fri, 14 January 2005 23:15 Go to next message
Ok guys the HG blew in my 5M-E so while im at it its being changed to the 5M-GE. what i want to kno is, will the computers just swap over or do i need to get ahold of the entire loom for the twin cam??
  Send a private message to this user    
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 5M-GE EMC conversion Sat, 15 January 2005 00:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Apparently (it has been done in the past, try a search and it might, then again it might not drag up something regarding to it...) the 5me ecu works fine if you keep the airflow meter and all the other sensors off the 5me?

The EFI is quite a crude system, little more than Air in/fuel in.

Cheers
Wilbo
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: 5M-GE EMC conversion Sat, 15 January 2005 00:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
norbie had a 6mge being run by a 5me ECU - he didn't say if the 6m loom was used.

main differences (electrially) between the two engines are:
-idle control might be with stepper motor instead of the simpler thermo valve (seems to vary as i've seen both)
-ECU does ignition advance (so you'll want the 6mge dizzi and igniter)
-O2 sensor in exh manifold
it might be easier to get the head+loom+bits ... oherwise what wilbo said Wink

hijack: Wilbo! what part of the world are you in now?
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: 5M-GE EMC conversion Sat, 15 January 2005 06:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the 5me ecu runs the 5mge no probs.
just need: 5me ecu, 5me loom, 5me dizzy, and the abv if you want (but not essential), and possibly the afm.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 5M-GE EMC conversion Sat, 15 January 2005 08:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yup, 5M-E will run it fine, but I recommend grabbing a 5M-GE ECU and loom if you can find one - it's much better, especially with regards to fuel economy.
Thruan
Occasional Poster

August 2004
Re: 5M-GE EMC conversion Sun, 16 January 2005 03:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok im getting a whole 5mge. including dizzy both manifolds, starter...everything. im not sure bout the AFM, but i can get that as well.i know the 5me will run the twin cam but apparently with like 30 odd less hp.i can get the 5mge emc very easily and just want to kno if i need the AFM and the whole 5mge loom or if i can use the 5mge's EMC with my loom.
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: 5M-GE EMC conversion Sun, 16 January 2005 03:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you'll need the GE loom to take advantage of all the extra bits (O2, idle control).

am not sure about the AFM (probably different rate on flapper spring) compare part numbers?
ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: 5M-GE EMC conversion Sun, 16 January 2005 08:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thechuckster wrote on Sun, 16 January 2005 14:37

you'll need the GE loom to take advantage of all the extra bits (O2, idle control).

am not sure about the AFM (probably different rate on flapper spring) compare part numbers?

Different AFM I think. I have pondered to convert my 5M-E AFM to an Aust. Spec 5M-GE but didn't do it coz of my funny setup (and that AFM part numbers did not match). Contact Evil_Foetus has he has a 5M-GE AFM in his 5M-E MA61.

Cheers.
MacroP
Regular

April 2004
Re: 5M-GE EMC conversion Sun, 16 January 2005 14:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have also done a complete changeover from 5ME(BHG suprise suprise) to 5MGE engine(with it's loom) aswell as the conversion to ECT auto too. I had a complete MX73 donor car with front end damage. I now have a new front end for it and a 1UZ is making it's way into the donor car ATM.

As for the conversion, was a bit of mucking around but as I have(still have) the complete electrical drawings for both engines and cars it was just more time consuming than anything. A few electrical mods were needed in the engine bay and behind the dash to make everything look and feel like 'Factory'. The O/D relay for the old tranny is now removed and replaced with a new ECT computer(behind the glovebox) that interfaces with the new engine ECU sitting next to it. This is where the funs starts.Laughing

The car now flies compared to of old, due it being able to be revved so much harder. Fuel ecomony isn't much better if at all. Generally 450-500kms from a tank, 95% county driving(sideways Very Happy). The engine is much nicer to work on too, as the EFI setup is much simpler physically though more complex electronically. There's no mess of vacuum lines running around on the intake manifold.
The ECT auto is also much nicer to drive with. I've put in the Power/Econony switch next to the shifter. No silly kickdowns when over taking slowly. The only real drama I've had, is the tranny has a hydraulic problem with the T/C lockup solenoid. Solenoid or hydrualic realy is probably stuck, need to drop the pan to suss it out but not for now.

Give us a buzz if your need specific's as the job is still fresh in my mind, sort of.

Good luck.
damz
Occasional Poster

June 2004
Re: 5M-GE EMC conversion Sun, 16 January 2005 23:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey, ive got a 5mge that was put in by a previous owner and its running a 5ME computer up above the glove box.

Is there a way to tell what wiring loom/ancillary setup I have? I'd assume the previous owner just left it in 5ME spec but I'd like to know for sure. My fuel economy is pretty poor (at best on constant highway drive I get about 10L/100KM) but round town its probably 20+.

How do you think the 5MGE computer allows it to rev more freely?
Isn't that more a limitation of the valvetrain mechanicals?

cheers..
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: 5M-GE EMC conversion Mon, 17 January 2005 01:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Look at the dizzy.

If its vacuum advance, its either a 5ME or early 5MGE setup (both are pretty much identical)

If its not vacuum advance, ie, its electronic advance, then its running the late 5mge setup
Supralux
Regular

July 2004
Re: 5M-GE EMC conversion Mon, 17 January 2005 02:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if it is vacuum advance engine then i have the 5mge ecu for you.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: 5M-GE EMC conversion Mon, 17 January 2005 02:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Supralux wrote on Mon, 17 January 2005 10:12

if it is vacuum advance engine then i have the 5mge ecu for you.

You will need the 5mge electronic advance dizzy, and the complete harness too.
Supralux
Regular

July 2004
Re: 5M-GE EMC conversion Mon, 17 January 2005 02:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the one i have is the early twin plug vac advance 5mge ecu. so this would mean that he doesnt need the new dizzy etc?
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: 5M-GE EMC conversion Mon, 17 January 2005 02:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Then its basically a twin cam 5m-e.

They use all the same electrics.
MacroP
Regular

April 2004
Re: 5M-GE EMC conversion Mon, 17 January 2005 13:19 Go to previous message
damz wrote on Mon, 17 January 2005 07:40

How do you think the 5MGE computer allows it to rev more freely?
Isn't that more a limitation of the valvetrain mechanicals?

cheers..

I was merely commenting on how much nicer the GE motor revs compared to the older SOHC donk regardless of the ECU type.
Revs much more and has much better power in the mid to top end.
Whether this increase comes more so from the more advanced EFI setup or the high angle GE head, Im' not too sure. The differences are chalk and cheese though. MY GE engine is the later electronic advance type from a 86 MX73 Cressida.

good luck

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:how to intall RSM apexi
Next Topic:Best front pads for MA70 Supra?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 14 21:10:32 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.005817174911499 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.