Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » something went wrong.......... electrical.....

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
SetMeFree
Forums Junkie

December 2003
something went wrong.......... electrical..... Fri, 14 January 2005 18:32 Go to next message
hey peoples,
just need some advice or knowledge on a problem im having on my 89 tx3. well here goes, just had a sound system installed (amp, sub etc). anyways over the past few days ive experienced my head unit turning off when the volume goes to loud. tonight on a usual cruise the battery seemed like it was dying (lights going dim, blinkers to slow, horn dead etc.). ive now parked the car in my garage and it wont turn back on. although the car can be clutch started and turned on, however all electrical seems like its slowly dying. it was idleing a bit weird however at a stage during this (idles up and down). i have noticed the wiring used on my set-up is pretty thin and the fuse thingy looks gay and small, could this be the cause that started the problem? and wat could be the problem?. appreciate any info given.
cheers
ahmed.

oh and every time i turn the car off it wont turn back on Very Happy (has reds and all but just wont click over)
  Send a private message to this user    
Maurice c
Regular

February 2004
Re: something went wrong.......... electrical..... Fri, 14 January 2005 20:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There is obviously something wrong with your ICE install. Try pulling the fuses for the system and head unit and see if this improves things. Sometimes you can get a power drain in a unit brand new. Change the battery for a new or known good one. If things are the same then something has gone wrong with the wiring and if the install was done by a professional, its time to get back onto them. Good luck mate.
soulfire
Regular

May 2004

Re: something went wrong.......... electrical..... Fri, 14 January 2005 21:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that actually sounds like an alternator problem

your car isn't keeping charge with the ICE setup going. I know mine carked it slowly after I put in all my Stereo gear. Got a reco'd one, and she's all sweet now Smile

Hope this helps
Maurice c
Regular

February 2004
Re: something went wrong.......... electrical..... Sat, 15 January 2005 02:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Good thinking,
What are you using in your install? Its possible that its drawing too much power from your battery/alternator and flattening the battery. Depending on what your using, you might need to fit a powercap or uprated alternator.
SetMeFree
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: something went wrong.......... electrical..... Sat, 15 January 2005 03:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok now im completely stumped, the car would NOT start last night but this morning it clicked over like everything was normal. however i sighted that wen blinkers are on dash lights blink a little bit. ive removed my system (advised to do it by a mate).
SetMeFree
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: something went wrong.......... electrical..... Sat, 15 January 2005 03:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh and my ice is a mtx12inch sub, 800watt 2chan amp, sony headunit, usual basic speaker set up.
gr8r-x
Regular

September 2004
Re: something went wrong.......... electrical..... Sat, 15 January 2005 09:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'd agree with the rest, alternator is on the way out. They face out gradually, providing less charge before they die. Adding the ICE to your car has pushed it that little bit over the edge and now it's not able to charge the battery and everything else in the car.

Go to an auto-elec, they'll be able to test if the alternator is shagged, or it could just be your battery, which they can also check. Smile
Dale_ta22
Regular

September 2004
Re: something went wrong.......... electrical..... Sat, 15 January 2005 14:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This may sound dumb, but how clean are your battery clamps?
Just a thought...
SetMeFree
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: something went wrong.......... electrical..... Sun, 16 January 2005 02:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my battery clamps are clean thank you very much Razz jkz! nah there cool, well it seems to be doing this now: after driving it with lights on and they go dim and stuff, as soon as the car is off it wont turn back on it just clicks, but, leave it for a few hours and it turns back on again. now i must say....... what the! thanks for everyones feedback its really appreciated. id go to an auto elec, but it sunday Sad
SIKPUPY
Occasional Poster

June 2004

Re: something went wrong.......... electrical..... Sun, 16 January 2005 03:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ermmmm its a Ford........

I reckon its the Battery/alternator or possibly the regulator, Im not sure what setup the tx3 has but it might be worth a look.

It could also be worth your while to change the cable on the alternator to something bigger, I had the same problem on one of my commodores I had and after changing the cable from this little piss ant cable, to 2 lots of 4 gauge cable, no drama's.

Remember, if you have heat in your wiring, it creates resistance therefore a voltage drop and when you try draw more current it creates more heat and more voltage drop.
BradW
Regular

April 2004
Re: something went wrong.......... electrical..... Sun, 16 January 2005 03:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SetMeFree wrote on Sun, 16 January 2005 13:23

my battery clamps are clean thank you very much Razz jkz! nah there cool, well it seems to be doing this now: after driving it with lights on and they go dim and stuff, as soon as the car is off it wont turn back on it just clicks, but, leave it for a few hours and it turns back on again. now i must say....... what the! thanks for everyones feedback its really appreciated. id go to an auto elec, but it sunday Sad

From what you described here it sounds like the battery is good but your charging system is faulty.

When you turn your ignition on does the battery light on the dash come on?
Does the battery light then go out when the engine is started?
If the battery light on the dash has a blown globe the alternator won't charge. Also check that the alternator drive belt is tight and in good condition. You can also get a multimeter and measure the voltage at the battery with the engine running. This should be 13-14 volts depending on how flat the battery is.

If all else fails, take it to an auto elec on Monday.

Good luck and let us know how you go.

Brad
SetMeFree
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: something went wrong.......... electrical..... Sun, 16 January 2005 03:58 Go to previous message
i think SIKPUPPY is right........ wen the car heats up thats when this probo starts, the car turns on perfectly, drives perfectly, but after a while of driving around it starts to play dead battery game. the battery however is fairly new (2mnths old). also i had changed the alternator belt on 2-3weeks ago. the battery charge light doesn't come on, and the globe doesn't seem blown (the globe turns on on reds). im heaps confused on this and it really sucks as my car is for sale and cant be sold until fixed! its only fair i fix it Razz thanx heaps guys
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Electronic Auto Gearboxes...
Next Topic:162 loom to a 3SGTE ecu?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 13:16:00 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0057110786437988 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.