Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
rb26_n1
Regular

August 2004
4a-ge idling question Fri, 07 January 2005 11:59 Go to next message
this is for all the hachiroku owners tht did thier 4a-ge conversions themselves, apparently my car fires up but shortly after it dies, ive plugged everything in and even referred my ECU mapping to another 4a-ge.even throttling it doesnt work. ive tried fiddling with the idle screw but no dice, plugged in the o2 sensor,no dice either. whts the problem? any help apreciated by the millions.

[Updated on: Fri, 07 January 2005 12:02]

Send a private message to this user    
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 4a-ge idling question Fri, 07 January 2005 12:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What did you connect your fuel pump to?
rb26_n1
Regular

August 2004
Re: 4a-ge idling question Fri, 07 January 2005 12:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
used a JE camira pump, why? it works no doubt, it pumps once its on ignition, the motor juz doesnt idle thts all.

[Updated on: Fri, 07 January 2005 12:20]

rb26_n1
Regular

August 2004
Re: 4a-ge idling question Fri, 07 January 2005 12:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
also i have disconnected the stock manifold it wouldnt effect starting the engine would it?
rb26_n1
Regular

August 2004
Re: 4a-ge idling question Fri, 07 January 2005 13:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the problem is tht the motor wont idle, it juz wont stay on after start up................
EvilJack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2002

Re: 4a-ge idling question Fri, 07 January 2005 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
check the ecu is earthed, prob not it but have seen it happen
rb26_n1
Regular

August 2004
Re: 4a-ge idling question Fri, 07 January 2005 14:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dunno, havnt checked though.........

[Updated on: Fri, 07 January 2005 14:21]

THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: 4a-ge idling question Fri, 07 January 2005 17:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ignition timing
cam timing.
IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: 4a-ge idling question Fri, 07 January 2005 22:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
power supply to pump AFTER cranking or not enough engine earth, power to coil after cranking, you really need to figure out which section is failing fuel or ignition.
rb26_n1
Regular

August 2004
Re: 4a-ge idling question Sat, 08 January 2005 06:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fuel pumps, and it also ignites, once it cranks it juz dies, it doesnt stay idle. hard to figure innit?
IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: 4a-ge idling question Sat, 08 January 2005 08:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
are the injectors pulsing after cranking
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: 4a-ge idling question Sat, 08 January 2005 08:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
man this is what was happening to my car

pump the pedal and mine would run

ended up being the crank angle sensor wires from the dizzy snapped
rb26_n1
Regular

August 2004
Re: 4a-ge idling question Sat, 08 January 2005 13:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it doesnt run whn i pump the pedal though. it cranks but. bad sign huh? Sad

[Updated on: Sat, 08 January 2005 13:16]

Starfire
Regular

December 2004
Re: 4a-ge idling question Sat, 08 January 2005 15:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you _do_ have the air flow meter hooked up dont you? They will crank but not run without it...
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: 4a-ge idling question Sun, 09 January 2005 10:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it doesnt have a afm
Starfire
Regular

December 2004
Re: 4a-ge idling question Sun, 09 January 2005 22:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If its a stock 4age with the factory ECU then it will need the AFM. The only 4age that used a MAP was the blacktop 20v.

Find yourself an AFM and hook it up Smile
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: 4a-ge idling question Sun, 09 January 2005 23:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Starfire wrote on Mon, 10 January 2005 09:07

If its a stock 4age with the factory ECU then it will need the AFM. The only 4age that used a MAP was the blacktop 20v.

PLEASE DO NOT POST INCORRECT AND MISGUIDED INFORMATION AS FACT!!!!

I can tell you for a 200% certain FACT that the following 4A-G* engine's came with a manifold absolute pressure sensor (MAP).

# AE82 4A-GE Bigport.
# AE86 4A-GE bigport
# AE92 4A-GE smallport
# AE92 post 10/89 4A-GZE smallport
# AE101 4A-GZE smallport
# AE111 BZR 4A-GE blacktop 20V

I would put $1000 on that too.
parrot
Regular

July 2004
Re: 4a-ge idling question Mon, 10 January 2005 04:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am with Ira11y. Check you have battery voltage at the injectors when the ignition switch is turned on. If not, car will run on fuel from cold start injector for a second or so, then stop. You may have wired your injector circuit up wrong. If this is the problem, trace circuit back to find problem. injectors thru to EFI relay 2, then back to ignition switch etc.
FKN16V
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: 4a-ge idling question Mon, 10 January 2005 07:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Starfire wrote on Mon, 10 January 2005 09:07

WHY DONT YOU FIND YOURSELF A AIRFLOW METER AND CONNECT IT TO YOUR EMPTY HEAD, SEE IF YOU GET A READING?

Are the wires on the inlet manifold connected, just behind the fuel rail, next to the brake booster line.
I hope you know what i mean.

Ive heard of drama's if there not connected.

Cheers

Steve
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: 4a-ge idling question Mon, 10 January 2005 09:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its my old 4age and it DOES NOT have a afm
as a matter of fact most of the 4ages we have in aus are map sensored
rb26_n1
Regular

August 2004
Re: 4a-ge idling question Mon, 10 January 2005 11:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks ian Laughing , whut i think is maybe theres not enough or no fuel getting to the engine, might be congestion in one of the hoses ir sumthing,heck it might even be the MAP, gonna check it out soon, will keep u ppl posted, if worse comes to worse its gotta go to a workshop.

[Updated on: Mon, 10 January 2005 11:53]

parrot
Regular

July 2004
Re: 4a-ge idling question Mon, 10 January 2005 12:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If I was you I would buy a multimeter and check the diagnostic paths in the engine manual. if you can't find a Toyota one (they put out a specific diagnostics manual as well as the usual engine manual), have a look for the Max Ellery Corolla manual which has them too. Probably find that at your local library. If you just go changing things, you will go around the twist. Been there done that. Mine was doing the same as yours, fires, runs for about one second then just dies. No codes. Changed everything I could think of, gave up and put car in garage for two years. Got the manual out and solved it in about three hours.
rb26_n1
Regular

August 2004
Re: 4a-ge idling question Mon, 10 January 2005 15:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shocked wo, 2 years? wht happened to it in the end?
parrot
Regular

July 2004
Re: 4a-ge idling question Tue, 11 January 2005 02:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
New child, so got forgotten about for a while, ever tried getting a baby capsule in the back of a lowered AE86?

Had run fine for about 5 years but then the dodgy home wiring job (mine) caused a problem in that the injector terminal kept slipping out of the junction block and off the EFI relay No.2.

Sometimes ran, sometimes didn't depending on whether it was connecting or not. Easy in hindsight, but at the time....

So moral of story, follow a logical path (i.e. check the diagnostic pathways).
IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: 4a-ge idling question Tue, 11 January 2005 06:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

New child, so got forgotten about for a while, ever tried getting a baby capsule in the back of a lowered AE86?

I hear ya!!

next one arrives for me in a month or so... no more cars for another year Sad
rb26_n1
Regular

August 2004
Re: 4a-ge idling question Wed, 12 January 2005 19:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
back to my problem, does the COMPUTER, IDLE UP box effect the startups? i think mine mine short-circuited or sumthing
rb26_n1
Regular

August 2004
Re: 4a-ge idling question Fri, 14 January 2005 18:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
anybody?
chrisellis
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: 4a-ge idling question Fri, 14 January 2005 21:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rb26_n1 wrote on Thu, 13 January 2005 06:42

back to my problem, does the COMPUTER, IDLE UP box effect the startups? i think mine mine short-circuited or sumthing

u mean the idle speed control valve, or something else?
yes the ISCV will casue the engine to die after startup if the engine is cold and the ISCV is not working. I have this problem on my gze, u have to site with ur foot on the gas a little bit untill the engine is warm, then it will just idle, but when droping from some higher revs it might also die. Mines been like this for 6 months now, i just changed my driving style to suit. Try bumping ur idle speed up to 1300-1500 rpm, this will help idle's if it is indeed the ISCV thats fucked.
hope this helps. Chris
TRD-75
Regular

July 2003
Re: 4a-ge idling question Sun, 16 January 2005 01:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
where about is the ISCV located cause i think thats the prob with my gze too.
chrisellis
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: 4a-ge idling question Sun, 16 January 2005 02:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
"It's that thing that hangs off the side of the throttle body" - henn's description, i wont take credit for it, lol.
rb26_n1
Regular

August 2004
Re: 4a-ge idling question Mon, 17 January 2005 14:18 Go to previous message
tried fiddling wit the idle screw on the big port, no luck, so as to the end of my road (and sanity) of thinking the source of the problem, back to the workshop i guess................
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:anyone with a 1ggte manual??
Next Topic:how to intall RSM apexi
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 10:40:20 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0062789916992188 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.