Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » SW20 looking to buy. what to look for?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
rob-ae86
Regular

November 2002
SW20 looking to buy. what to look for? Sun, 16 January 2005 03:58 Go to next message
ok so i have searched...

but i havent seen any common problems so i just want to find out a few things first

-any common problems like what to look out for
-im looking for a 3sge, manual, targa what is the usual price for one of these both private and dealer
-fuel usage
-what do they handle compared to an ae86
  Send a private message to this user    
Alchemist
Forums Junkie

January 2003
Re: SW20 looking to buy. what to look for? Sun, 16 January 2005 06:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
-any common problems like what to look out for
Leaky Targa, Km's, Oil Leaks, Wheel Bearings
-im looking for a 3sge, manual, targa what is the usual price
10-15 Private : 13-25 Dealer Depends on Year, Model(Bathurst for example) etc...
for one of these both private and dealer
-fuel usage
10L/100Km's City & 8-9L/100Km's Freeway
-what do they handle compared to an ae86
No idea on comparison, but I'd liken it to driving on traintracks
rob-ae86
Regular

November 2002
Re: SW20 looking to buy. what to look for? Sun, 16 January 2005 06:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks alchemist

leaky targa would that be due to shitty seals?

so genrally no MAJOR problems then just general wear and tear?

im looking for around 12K private i should get on in pretty good condition right?
Ko Ko
Regular

May 2003
Re: SW20 looking to buy. what to look for? Sun, 16 January 2005 07:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey Rob,
I use to have a sw20 turbo. i am not if you are looking for turbo or not but give japan direct a call and ask for steve. I bought my sw20 of him and apparently he has the best sw20's for sale in Sydney.
rob-ae86
Regular

November 2002
Re: SW20 looking to buy. what to look for? Sun, 16 January 2005 08:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sweet but i am after an aus delivered N/a just something to insure easily that wont be totally out of my budget but if he has aus delivered ones i will give him a try thatnks KO-KO
Alchemist
Forums Junkie

January 2003
Re: SW20 looking to buy. what to look for? Sun, 16 January 2005 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yup 12K would get you something pretty nice, if you could stretch yourself to 14-15K you could probably get a nice JDM import, still N/A but with leather interior, directional foglights, ABS all those funky things.

Power wise, well as of today I know that my mildly modded Gen 2 puts out 94.1kW at the wheels, which isn't too shabby Very Happy
AlexT
Occasional Poster

August 2004
Re: SW20 looking to buy. what to look for? Sun, 16 January 2005 11:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Check how bad the scratch on the underside of the front spoiler is (usually drivers side). If there isn't one, then either you've found a very carefully driven car or it has been replaced.

Pop the engine lid and look at the intake and the top of the engine. If the metal looks sort of powdery (hard to describe, but obvious when you see it), then my experience is this indicates a car that hasn't been garaged. I think it's caused by rain water entering through the vents in the engine lid and sitting in there.

Make sure you get a car with AC. The targa roof adds a lot of glass area - it gets hot inside. Ensure the AC is cold. After you try out a few you'll know how it should perform.

Check that the two sun shade panels, which fit under the glass targa roof, are present. I've been told these are very expensive to buy from Toyota (warning - 2nd hand information). There should also be two bags for storing the roof when it's off.

And get some insurance quotes. You may get an unpleasant surprise. Sad

Edit: Spelling.

[Updated on: Tue, 18 January 2005 10:44]

rob-ae86
Regular

November 2002
Re: SW20 looking to buy. what to look for? Mon, 17 January 2005 07:08 Go to previous message
yea i already have $3984 full comp from just cars

but i have heard a few for n/a for around 2k
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Need rust fixed and acrylic paint job. Where to go in Brisbane?
Next Topic:Celica SX 93 model
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 16 17:47:57 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0059809684753418 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.