Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » Why wont Toyota create a new gen Rwd-Vvti-sprinter?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
davit
Occasional Poster

January 2005
Why wont Toyota create a new gen Rwd-Vvti-sprinter? Sat, 15 January 2005 06:10 Go to next message
Why cant they make a Sprinter like car with the new Vvti tech!!!

around the $20000 dollar mark!!!!

why dont they do Rwd anymore!!! argh!!!
  Send a private message to this user    
ShiRi
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Why wont Toyota create a new gen Rwd-Vvti-sprinter? Sat, 15 January 2005 06:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cause toyota see's no market for it... also fwd is cheaper

which is balony... i think which ever car company brings back a light rwd cheap car first is going to do good business...
Camry_omega
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Why wont Toyota create a new gen Rwd-Vvti-sprinter? Sat, 15 January 2005 06:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If anything we may see the resurgance of RWD sports cars, with concepts like Holden's Torana, possibly starting a new trend. But nothing around 20,000. There isn't that much of a market, well compared to the scores of Corollas and Camrys that Toyota sells why would the spend the money deveoloping a new sprinter.
davit
Occasional Poster

January 2005
Re: Why wont Toyota create a new gen Rwd-Vvti-sprinter? Sat, 15 January 2005 06:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i beg to differ...

i rwd small car with vvti, in a smart price bracket will sell like hot cakes...or a 4 door sedan lighweight.

hot cakes I know it! Very Happy
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Why wont Toyota create a new gen Rwd-Vvti-sprinter? Sat, 15 January 2005 06:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
with the current sprinter following (ie - huge) a small rwd 2-door sporty coupe, with a turbo option, would be a great seller if they could get it out fairly cheaply. Only problem with non-jap market is that it wouldn't compete very well with $12k 2nd hand grey imports, so toyota australia would probably decline to import any, or if they did they're get the cheap non-turbo version

edit: just like every other shithouse version we get.

[Updated on: Sat, 15 January 2005 06:48]

bathurst-91
Forums Junkie

April 2004

Re: Why wont Toyota create a new gen Rwd-Vvti-sprinter? Sat, 15 January 2005 09:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I totally agree

AE2086 Wink

Have 3 options.

1. 4age 16v (low spec features on car) $20k
2. 20v (midrange spec) $20-25k
3. 4agze (top spec features) $30k

they already have those engines designed. They can just use a refined ae86 chassis, and update styling *a small ammount* Wink

And you have a winner!

I dont think turbo from factory would be a good idea. Price firstly, secondly theyd become the next wrx.

my 2cents
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Why wont Toyota create a new gen Rwd-Vvti-sprinter? Sat, 15 January 2005 09:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
current emissions laws wouldnt see any of those 3 engines in a new car

ps the model would be

zzxe186

Very Happy

zz = corolla
xe = altezza
186 = bigger than 112 corrola and kee[ping the hachi roku in the name
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Why wont Toyota create a new gen Rwd-Vvti-sprinter? Sat, 15 January 2005 09:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yer, it would most likely have a ZZ variant in it - which would be cool if they keep the weight down (in keeping with the sprinter tradition, no more than 1100kgs if possible)
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Why wont Toyota create a new gen Rwd-Vvti-sprinter? Sat, 15 January 2005 09:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
of course, sprinters are just glorified shopping trolleys, but maybe a new sprinter would show them the error of their ways with the celicas (first they made them uglier, then they made them FWD.)
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Why wont Toyota create a new gen Rwd-Vvti-sprinter? Sat, 15 January 2005 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so true about the celica

a guy on club 4ag had a go at designing the new 'scion x86'

Very Happy

http://flyservers.registerfly.com/members5/porkfish.com/images/zzxe86.GIF
http://flyservers.registerfly.com/members5/porkfish.com/images/zzxe86001.GIF
http://flyservers.registerfly.com/members5/porkfish.com/images/zzxe86002.GIF
http://flyservers.registerfly.com/members5/porkfish.com/images/zzxe86004.GIF
http://flyservers.registerfly.com/members5/porkfish.com/images/zzxe86color.GIF

they are super cool!
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Why wont Toyota create a new gen Rwd-Vvti-sprinter? Sat, 15 January 2005 09:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
'cause toyta are super ghey these days and don't send anything interesting to australia Wink
shovelnose
Regular

June 2003
Re: Why wont Toyota create a new gen Rwd-Vvti-sprinter? Sat, 15 January 2005 09:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The question should be "Why won't Toyota make ANY decent car anymore"?

i.e. one that is not aimed at 60 year olds.
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Why wont Toyota create a new gen Rwd-Vvti-sprinter? Sat, 15 January 2005 09:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FR - 2zzge with an IRS rear end and a 5spd manual box
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Why wont Toyota create a new gen Rwd-Vvti-sprinter? Sat, 15 January 2005 09:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pft
since it's only a pissy amount of power, whack the lightweight 6-speed in there! it's already made & designed, just needs a bellhousing
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Why wont Toyota create a new gen Rwd-Vvti-sprinter? Sat, 15 January 2005 10:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
2zz isnt pissy man!
and the sprinter donesnt need a 6 spd
its just extra $$
bubbles
Forums Junkie

Banned user

March 2004
Re: Why wont Toyota create a new gen Rwd-Vvti-sprinter? Sat, 15 January 2005 10:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
2zz are faste, they just feel slow on that heavy celica body, same with beams
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Why wont Toyota create a new gen Rwd-Vvti-sprinter? Sat, 15 January 2005 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sorry
"pissy" as in the little 6-speed could handle it
anything under 200kw is pissy Razz
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Why wont Toyota create a new gen Rwd-Vvti-sprinter? Sat, 15 January 2005 10:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
draven wrote on Sat, 15 January 2005 21:35

sorry
"pissy" as in the little 6-speed could handle it
anything under 200kw is pissy Razz

haha true true
Intensevil
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Why wont Toyota create a new gen Rwd-Vvti-sprinter? Sat, 15 January 2005 11:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There is a HUGE market out there for a small cheap rwd performance car. Think about all these people who buy cheap hatchs and lancers etc. most of these people rice them up or try to get some sort of performance out of them.

The car would have to be based off of an E chassis because the levins and trueno's have always been based off of corrolas, why break the trend?

2zz-ge would be perfect
the 6 speed behind s15's and altezzas would be nice too.
RWD with irs obviously, clutch type lsd or torsen type lsd standard.
Keep the weight under 1100kg

Its not exactly a difficult thing to pull off so why dont they do it?
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Why wont Toyota create a new gen Rwd-Vvti-sprinter? Sat, 15 January 2005 11:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
market trends
safety stds
laziness
cost in relation to market
tyottsoarer
Regular

June 2004
Re: Why wont Toyota create a new gen Rwd-Vvti-sprinter? Sat, 15 January 2005 12:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Because there is no immediate target market. Most people who buy a car to modify it buy a second hand one , meaning someone else has to buy it first. I personally cant see a large immediate target market for a car like this even though in its later years it would become hugely popular among performance enthusiasts.

My 2c.
davit
Occasional Poster

January 2005
Re: Why wont Toyota create a new gen Rwd-Vvti-sprinter? Sat, 15 January 2005 12:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
u'd think the Drift kIng tsuchiya would push for a model to be made...i reckon someone should tell him to step into toyotas office and demand one to be made to hes liking.
Intensevil
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Why wont Toyota create a new gen Rwd-Vvti-sprinter? Sat, 15 January 2005 12:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
errr what about all those moron honduh boys who are buying brand new civics by the dozen in america?
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Why wont Toyota create a new gen Rwd-Vvti-sprinter? Sat, 15 January 2005 12:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
somehow the words "cheap " , " rear wheel drive " and " turbo " dont mix all that well together

theve already tested the market for a RWD - the current ZZT celica was intended as a RWD but it was shitcanned due to the market survey taken proving it wasnt viable ..

And the likelyhood is you'd see a AWD variant of something being made ( like the curent jap caldinas ) in a Sports format before they will do RWD ..

Until Toyota decides that theve had their fun with F1 - all we'll see si boring fart arse FWD and huge AWD mums taxi things from toyota .

they cover all the markets with what they have

Ie girly mums taxi - Current echo's and Corollas

Girly older mums taxi with more than one kid - Camrys , Avalons

grandpas with the need for speed - The Phearsome camry sportivo and corolla Sprtivo

Mums with the fear of Urban streets , and those REALLY leathal suburban kangaroos - prado , landcruiser

Mums Who think that that pothole JUST might be too big for pre mentioned Girly rolla or camry to get thru - Rav 4

Dave , bazza , and Johno , who find that a Commodore or Falcon ute isnt practical enough for the Worksite - Your Hilux's + Vans

That pretty much leaves us with the last Celica And MR2 ..

Both WOULD be fun if they let them drop their balls - Except for Mr totyota saying Meh we dont NEED a performance car because All the above cater for our income - So lets slap something together that LOOKS sporty and makes the right noises , but requires someone to actually rev it near to death to extract a bit of Spirit from an otherwise Super restricted powerplant ..

We DREAM of the next Supra , the sprinter the GT4 etc , but these wont happen until , as ive said before - TOYOTA PULL THEIR HEADS OUT OF THEIR ARSES, take off the cardigans and Soccer shirts , and realise they are letting down a section of the market day after day with piss poor excuses for " performance models "

Subaru have seen it , Mitsubishi have seen it - hell - even FORD have seen it as the next resurgance in culture - And what do we get - Sweet FUCK all.

Keep what you have guys - cause the way i see it - is unless toyota remove the current stale ideas thikers , and let some new bllod on the drawing boards - All we'll have is the older models that still kick the arses of the current ones in all departments

rthy
Forums Junkie

January 2004
wtf is a jabber? a punch line?
Re: Why wont Toyota create a new gen Rwd-Vvti-sprinter? Sat, 15 January 2005 13:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
why make cheap light rwd cars for a few thousand people when they can sell fully optioned fwd cars to a few million Rolling Eyes
its a sad sad world after all Confused
CoronaC
Regular

June 2004
Re: Why wont Toyota create a new gen Rwd-Vvti-sprinter? Sat, 15 January 2005 14:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
why do people what new cars, there mostly plastic anyway Very Happy
nash_tz
Regular

April 2003
Re: Why wont Toyota create a new gen Rwd-Vvti-sprinter? Sat, 15 January 2005 14:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
They did make one. Its called the Altezza. /end thread
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Why wont Toyota create a new gen Rwd-Vvti-sprinter? Sat, 15 January 2005 14:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Toyota are making mondo ca$$h doing what they are now, which is selling sensibly engineered, conservatively designed cars to 40+ y.olds who can afford to shell out a premium price to get Toyotas reputation for quality in their driveway.

There's Not enough money in the sort of car(s) you guys are talking about. Some brands (Porsche, Ferrari, HSV etc.) rely on their image as a primo performance brand, to sell cars. Toyota has never really had to do this to sell cars - they can shove something boring and inoffensive infront of a 50y.o. and they'll buy. simple as that folks. Crying or Very Sad
thu187
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Why wont Toyota create a new gen Rwd-Vvti-sprinter? Sat, 15 January 2005 16:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
davit wrote on Sat, 15 January 2005 23:14

u'd think the Drift kIng tsuchiya would push for a model to be made...i reckon someone should tell him to step into toyotas office and demand one to be made to hes liking.

Because he's really unhappy with all the money he has and is bored out of his mind with nothing to do. Not to mention the fact that he's really pissed off at Toyota and deserves to tell them what to do because they gave him a fully re-built AE86 for free upon retiring.
thu187
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Why wont Toyota create a new gen Rwd-Vvti-sprinter? Sat, 15 January 2005 16:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Classique71 wrote on Sat, 15 January 2005 23:50

We DREAM of the next Supra , the sprinter the GT4 etc , but these wont happen until , as ive said before - TOYOTA PULL THEIR HEADS OUT OF THEIR ARSES, take off the cardigans and Soccer shirts , and realise they are letting down a section of the market day after day with piss poor excuses for " performance models

Like someone said it's about market trends. Nissan and Toyota both got burned with the sports cars they released. Since the Supra, which bombed, Toyota has seen people leaning towards sedans etc. and their bottom line is profit. They have a reponsibility to their shareholders, not only themselves.
Like someone else said, people are happy to buy cars second hand to modify them. In order to do that someone has to buy a new one first. Until you get out there and start buying NEW rwd cars there's only so much crying about it can do..
nash_tz
Regular

April 2003
Re: Why wont Toyota create a new gen Rwd-Vvti-sprinter? Sat, 15 January 2005 17:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Newsflash, Toyota make more money than Ford, GM, Daimler Chrysler/ Mercedes Benz, put together. They are doing everything the right way and would know more about marketing than a bunch of internet geeks driving 20 year old + cars. Who here could actually afford a 30k+ new car if Toyota did release an affordable rear wheel drive. The last affordable rear wheel drive Toyota made (corona iirc) tanked horribly in the Aussie market, what would convince them otherwise that we don't want boring cars? MR-S sales are hardly inspiring.
KOFFEE-BLACK
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Why wont Toyota create a new gen Rwd-Vvti-sprinter? Sat, 15 January 2005 23:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nash_tz wrote on Sun, 16 January 2005 01:33

They did make one. Its called the Altezza. /end thread

hahaha, I agree!

Heres something interesting, probably wont be cheap, but its got some balls.

http://www.detnews.com/pix/autos/concepts/05lexuslfaconcept/3.jpg
http://www.auto-web.co.jp/NEW_CAR/DETROIT2005/JAPAN/LexusLF-A/00.jpg
http://www.auto-web.co.jp/NEW_CAR/DETROIT2005/JAPAN/LexusLF-A/co/01.jpg
http://www.auto-web.co.jp/NEW_CAR/DETROIT2005/JAPAN/LexusLF-A/co/02.jpg
http://www.auto-web.co.jp/NEW_CAR/DETROIT2005/JAPAN/LexusLF-A/co/03.jpg
http://www.auto-web.co.jp/NEW_CAR/DETROIT2005/JAPAN/LexusLF-A/co/04.jpg
http://www.auto-web.co.jp/NEW_CAR/DETROIT2005/JAPAN/LexusLF-A/co/05.jpg

Vehicle: Lexus LF-A concept
Engine: High-output double overhead cam V-8
Horsepower: More than 500 hp
Height: 48.0 inches
Width: 73.2 inches
Length: 173.2 inches

Suppose to do over 200mph!

Read more here:
http://www.autoweek.com/files/speci...lfa/pages/1. htm
http://www.detnews.com/2005/autosin...0/A07-55271. htm
bubbles
Forums Junkie

Banned user

March 2004
Re: Why wont Toyota create a new gen Rwd-Vvti-sprinter? Sat, 15 January 2005 23:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
altezza is nothing like a sprinter, it almost weights twice as much, funny that the beams 2ltr 4cyl engines are faster than the 6cyl
nash_tz
Regular

April 2003
Re: Why wont Toyota create a new gen Rwd-Vvti-sprinter? Sun, 16 January 2005 00:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Why is it funny? Its the Australian market who couldn't accept a 4 cylinder in a pseudo luxury car, thats why they put the 6 cyl pos in it. Don't blame Toyota, blame the Australian new car buying public. Unfortunately for those who buy used cars, this segment is much different in tastes and aspirations and Toyota couldn't give a toss about what people in the second hand market want.
shcao
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Why wont Toyota create a new gen Rwd-Vvti-sprinter? Sun, 16 January 2005 00:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it's all about supply/demand/cost

FWDs are cheaper to produce for toyota, (which passes on to the consumer)
have more cabin space for the passenger.
are perfectly fine (stability wise) for 4 cylinders.

Toyota is happy, *most* consumers are happy.
Thats all that matters.

--------

Toyota aren't going to spend millions of dollars developing a car for a *niche* market who are mostly young and can't afford to be driving a brand spanking new $30k++ car.

Lets face it, anything with guts, decent suspension and LS will be nothing less than 30k..

I think the day and age for a budget 4cyl rwd is over.
Henn
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Why wont Toyota create a new gen Rwd-Vvti-sprinter? Sun, 16 January 2005 01:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As a few people have mentioned earlier, who buys new cars??? Mainly older people who quite likely have a family to consider. So car makers build cars to suit them and what they want. They don't give a fuck what us young, poor, second hand car buyers want.

While I'd love a new, light, RWD hatchback, very few people who might actually buy a new car would.

Face it, it's not going to happen. Buy a $2k RWD corolla and spend the other $28k replacing everything to turn it into a new car.

Hen

PS, plus also think of the Tonight Tonight/ ACA outrage once kiddies started wrapping themselves round poles in these "cheap, unsafe, overpowered deathtraps that are endangering our families"
shovelnose
Regular

June 2003
Re: Why wont Toyota create a new gen Rwd-Vvti-sprinter? Sun, 16 January 2005 03:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Why is it funny? Its the Australian market who couldn't accept a 4 cylinder in a pseudo luxury car, thats why they put the 6 cyl pos in it. Don't blame Toyota, blame the Australian new car buying public.
This is true to a particular extent, but rememeber that the faster Beams 4 cylinder version is not marketed anywhere else apart from Japan, as far as I know.

I think the problem is due to both Toyota's conservatism (Japan and to a greater extent Australia) and of course the conservatism of the majority of the Australian new car buyer.
indigoid
Regular

September 2002

Re: Why wont Toyota create a new gen Rwd-Vvti-sprinter? Sun, 16 January 2005 05:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BMW 1-series fills this niche quite nicely IMHO. Jeremy Clarkson doesn't like it at all. They are fairly cheap, good for driver + passenger (back seat seems useful only for luggage) and, for a modern car with all the safety boxes ticked, they are surprisingly lightweight

I do wonder, though, why you people wanting a new AE86 don't just get over it and buy a PRB / Westfield / Fraser kit instead. With your stock 4AG/3SG/Hayabusa/etc drivetrain and some good tyres (A032R?) and suspension tuning, you'll wipe the floor with pretty much all non-exotica production cars around a typical circuit, including AE86s. As an added bonus, you get awesome "look at me, i'm a wanker extrovert" value at no extra cost!

check out the wakefield park lap records. See Chris Barry's PRB...

Very Happy Bill, I'd love to see your Fraser at Wakefield...
davit
Occasional Poster

January 2005
Re: Why wont Toyota create a new gen Rwd-Vvti-sprinter? Sun, 16 January 2005 05:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Something between the Sprinter, s15 and s2000.

-Make it a look cross between a 4 door and a sporty model, too reduce insurance.

-Looks to be desirable, not too sexy not too dull and motor to be toyota expected quality and abit more.

-No turbos needed, just make it a strong vvti platform, potent 1.8 or something...with a good open tuner options and it will be an instant hit.

1.The new mr2 is ghey looking rwd + plus rwd engine is not a good market.

=The rwd and engine in front is popular platform.

toyota doesnt have to invest huge sums of money to invest in a new sporty line.

The corolla motors (cheaper production cost) to be switched and adopted to suit rwd platform.

-Make it tuned by Rod Miller or already tuned by TRD suspension.

-Add abit of over engineering to the motor and make it retain a high revving capability, improve on the rigidity of block and leave untapped potential for bigger power.

-An easy-to-customize computer rom.

-Save on interior cost with a large percentage interior from another model and have custom bits (that dont cost heaps) to set it apart.

-Throw it out on gt track, see it rack up credibility.

-Japs push it out to production making sure the gt model is very similar to the race models.

-Jap workshops first will throw out whole gob of aftermarket gear.

-The world will recognize.

-Unlike the ol skool sprinter, show it reign supreme first on the circuit for word to spread...think the gtr back then...

-Lastly chuckability and not too beefy.

Someone show me to the Toyota office now? ;p

4DaDrift
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Why wont Toyota create a new gen Rwd-Vvti-sprinter? Sun, 16 January 2005 06:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shcao wrote on Sun, 16 January 2005 11:23

Thats all that matters.

--------

Toyota aren't going to spend millions of dollars developing a car for a *niche* market who are mostly young and can't afford to be driving a brand spanking new $30k++ car.

Lets face it, anything with guts, decent suspension and LS will be nothing less than 30k..

daym that attitude pisses me off
what ever happened to buyer power for staters
we are the market in the past now and for their future so they should be listening to us with what we want and not etlling us what they want us to buy
secondly its not that hard to product a cheap rwd with performane aspirations
build the base level as the new corolla with base level performane etc to start with
secondly this will attract a new younger parket to replace those who are nearign the edn of their lives
thirdly with the ammount of $$ the young generation spend on a new car (seriously think about how many of your friends associates etc and ppl you hear owing huge amounts of $$ for new or near new cars turned into show cars or daily drivers) as if a market isnt there
we should be demanding what we desire not whinging about whats alcking amd yes ive done my bit by forwarding a letter of complaint
TRD_Supra
Forums Junkie

On Probation

December 2004
Re: Why wont Toyota create a new gen Rwd-Vvti-sprinter? Sun, 16 January 2005 06:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
they need to make a few different cars.

lighweight 1000kg 4cyl 2.0 Turbo RWD similar to an AE86, but more modern looking

something like a newer celica but RWD and twin turbo

then just make a beefy 500hp supra style road car, i dont see why they just don't produce some monster road car that is cheap enough for people to buy, rather than a select few! maybe a 4wd option would be nice
Camry_omega
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Why wont Toyota create a new gen Rwd-Vvti-sprinter? Sun, 16 January 2005 07:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hands up who has 30k for a new sporty Toyota, i know i don't.
I think Toyota would be more likley to do something larger to rival holden/ford sports sedans (xr6s/sv6, xr8/SS)
rthy
Forums Junkie

January 2004
wtf is a jabber? a punch line?
Re: Why wont Toyota create a new gen Rwd-Vvti-sprinter? Sun, 16 January 2005 07:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4DaDrift wrote on Sun, 16 January 2005 17:09

shcao wrote on Sun, 16 January 2005 11:23

Thats all that matters.

--------

daym that attitude pisses me off
what ever happened to buyer power for staters
we are the market in the past now and for their future so they should be listening to us with what we want and not etlling us what they want us to buy
secondly its not that hard to product a cheap rwd with performane aspirations
build the base level as the new corolla with base level performane etc to start with
secondly this will attract a new younger parket to replace those who are nearign the edn of their lives
thirdly with the ammount of $$ the young generation spend on a new car (seriously think about how many of your friends associates etc and ppl you hear owing huge amounts of $$ for new or near new cars turned into show cars or daily drivers) as if a market isnt there
we should be demanding what we desire not whinging about whats alcking amd yes ive done my bit by forwarding a letter of complaint

the wall street fat cats are ghey wit teh massive aid's or anal probe in the stocks
SEXY 16
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Why wont Toyota create a new gen Rwd-Vvti-sprinter? Sun, 16 January 2005 09:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if toyota would make me a brand spanking new AE86 i would hand over up to $35 grand no problems and maybe more with a different driveline package and suspension mods
my 2 cents
olihaub
Regular

July 2004
Re: Why wont Toyota create a new gen Rwd-Vvti-sprinter? Sun, 16 January 2005 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nash_tz wrote on Sun, 16 January 2005 04:08

The last affordable rear wheel drive Toyota made (corona iirc) tanked horribly in the Aussie market, what would convince them otherwise that we don't want boring cars? MR-S sales are hardly inspiring.

sorry but i dont find a corona sporty its more like a japanese commonwhore but atleast its toyota which makes it all good Very Happy

and secondly the latest and final mr-2

wot does it come with a 100kw motor when they could have put in a 141kw model i mean seriously piss poor effort toyota
and it only comes in automatic
which has tiptronic but still all i can say is it their own fault in relation to the mr2

the old mr2 were drivers cars

they are basically selling cop out of wot once was a great "drivers" car which 40+ year old men apreciated and bought sure in the fact that it mid engined handling was sport had a decent motor AND WAS BLOODY AUTOF**KINGMATIC

who sells a sports car as auto only i mean thats just pathetic
nash_tz
Regular

April 2003
Re: Why wont Toyota create a new gen Rwd-Vvti-sprinter? Sun, 16 January 2005 09:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
olihaub wrote on Sun, 16 January 2005 20:33

nash_tz wrote on Sun, 16 January 2005 04:08

The last affordable rear wheel drive Toyota made (corona iirc) tanked horribly in the Aussie market, what would convince them otherwise that we don't want boring cars? MR-S sales are hardly inspiring.

sorry but i dont find a corona sporty its more like a japanese commonwhore but atleast its toyota which makes it all good Very Happy

and secondly the latest and final mr-2

wot does it come with a 100kw motor when they could have put in a 141kw model i mean seriously piss poor effort toyota
and it only comes in automatic
which has tiptronic but still all i can say is it their own fault in relation to the mr2

the old mr2 were drivers cars

they are basically selling cop out of wot once was a great "drivers" car which 40+ year old men apreciated and bought sure in the fact that it mid engined handling was sport had a decent motor AND WAS BLOODY AUTOF**KINGMATIC

who sells a sports car as auto only i mean thats just pathetic

I never said the corona was sporty, just rwd. Alot of people here think that rwd is the be all and end all of sports cars and nothing can even come close using other drivetrains. Just because you can't drift a FWD doesn't mean they can't be a fun car to drive. Razz
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Why wont Toyota create a new gen Rwd-Vvti-sprinter? Sun, 16 January 2005 10:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nash has a point

the current celica would be awesome in alot of respects if it was more akin to integra type R setup - and didnt need to be flogged to within its life to extract power ..

midrange cams would make that engine so much more fun instead of high end 6 grand + ones
olihaub
Regular

July 2004
Re: Why wont Toyota create a new gen Rwd-Vvti-sprinter? Sun, 16 January 2005 11:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sorry i must of misread him but yeah

off course fwdriven cars are fun

and i totally agree that if the celica was more set up like the honda type r it would have sold more and be a better car for it (ie: lieght weight awsome handling and a limo slip diff)

just the latest mr2 shits me
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Why wont Toyota create a new gen Rwd-Vvti-sprinter? Sun, 16 January 2005 11:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
to me they felt pretty good in the handling dept - but still has nothing on the Gt4 after abckl to back runs ..

Indeed with better midrange though - that would open up a whole different kettle of fish for fun

The Auto on the mr2 - yeah - thats a real annoyance - why not a stick ? Dont they think people drive manuals for fun anymore?
Intensevil
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Why wont Toyota create a new gen Rwd-Vvti-sprinter? Sun, 16 January 2005 11:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
heres something for you to think about.
remember about 22 years ago when toyota released a little car called the ae86 in japan. It was a new car, it was cheap, and it sold like bloody hotcakes!!!!

all this crap about the market not needing a similar car is a load of crap. If toyota released a 1.8 vvti newish sprinter, i know for sure i'd be saving everything i had to get one. It's not that hard to make it affordable either. Suzuki ignis sport = $19,990!!!!

Theres no reason why toyota can't do this, instead of shoving sportivo camrys, rollas and probably eventualy avalons they should give us what we want
olihaub
Regular

July 2004
Re: Why wont Toyota create a new gen Rwd-Vvti-sprinter? Sun, 16 January 2005 11:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its the camry influence

they tarnish the sole Laughing Laughing

[Updated on: Sun, 16 January 2005 11:47]

davedrifts
Regular

Banned User

September 2004
Re: Why wont Toyota create a new gen Rwd-Vvti-sprinter? Sun, 16 January 2005 11:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Because toyota are boring. I mean seriously, all you have to do is look at the new camry's and think "There days of high performance are over"
bubbles
Forums Junkie

Banned user

March 2004
Re: Why wont Toyota create a new gen Rwd-Vvti-sprinter? Mon, 17 January 2005 00:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Toyota has to make a profit, not a sale (sales less costs). Also car markets are driven by the consumer (majority, not us) and also there are guidelines that they have to follow, and then theres the budget.
They made supras, mr2's, chasers, etc. But hardly any of these where sold by toyota australia, same goes to nissan, mazda and mitsubishi. Not saying that they can't do it but it will be a huge gamble.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Why wont Toyota create a new gen Rwd-Vvti-sprinter? Mon, 17 January 2005 01:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the corona is really no different to the sprinter, stock ten bucks says the rona would win. Especially a 2.4l one like mine versus the 4ac. But unlike the sprinter they don't have a cult following just a few diehard fans making some pretty serious cars. Many have 1ggte's in them pumping out seriuos power considering the weight of the base car.
But just look at toyota they are one of the most successgul car companies in the world by making boring cars thus until ppl stop buying them they will not rethink there current approach.
Considering pretty mucvh every hatch bar a bmw is front wheel drive these days I don't see a rwd sprinter beign built any time soon.

As already stated toyota really needs a rwd sedan instead of the camry to boost its image in aus. The camry sells well outside of aus and pretty well in aus but has a very bad image, cardigans anyone.
Intensevil
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Why wont Toyota create a new gen Rwd-Vvti-sprinter? Mon, 17 January 2005 01:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
huge gamebls, even if they fail misurably its not like the company would go under or anything so theres not that much at risk. and knowing toyota if they put their minds to it they could pull it off and it would be a huge success.

They've just shown the world that new supercar that their making, how much proffit is that going to make them?! its a very niche car that very few can afford. whereas a rwd sport hatch is suitable for a whole host of people (it can be a shopping trolly 1zz-fe or spastic little hot hatch 2zz-ge).

Most people couldnt give a crap what sort of drive train a car has, they buy a car based on 2 main factors, Looks and price.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Why wont Toyota create a new gen Rwd-Vvti-sprinter? Mon, 17 January 2005 02:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think not a lot of aussie bogans will only buy a car if it is rwd, and I would preferably have one but the bastards are too expensive to insure thus I may have to geta front wheel drive hatch when I upgrade, my options are old bmw 328i say 95, around 4k for insurance, Commodore V8 don't go there ^ have to be the new hfv6 cos buick sucks balls unless worked 2.4k for insurnace and car out of price range. I ain't touching a ford so thats gone, well looks like i'll buy a clio sport then
alliance_22
Forums Junkie

October 2004

Re: Why wont Toyota create a new gen Rwd-Vvti-sprinter? Mon, 17 January 2005 03:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i always had a dream

what if!!

What if toyota pulled back out the designs of the ae86, Celica St162-165, supra MA70 and manufacture say 1000 each of them....

then upgrade some things, like air bag and all that crap to do with compliance etc.... chuck in a bit of new designs interior, Sun roof, climate control etc. And then sell them to the younger generations for say 15k-25k range... u bet i'll be buying one!

Thing is if they are only making small amounts, they can do both ways a favour, they can keep us all happy, yet they will still make some money... altho0ught maybe not much, but it'll prolly give them an indication on just how important sporty cars are for the younger gens.

But then again, i doubt i'll ever see this day happen Rolling Eyes

With Nissan, i used to be a fan of it, till they stopped releasing 200sx and skylines and started pumping out Maximas and Pulsars.... i mean what a load of crap!! wheres the damm GTRs and SR20DET Silvias?? As if i'll drive a freekin Maxima cause its advertised as a 170kw car, and hoping we think its a sport car... get a life nissan - Australia!! not knocking the Nissan in Japan though Very Happy

Also, whats the Deal with Honda?? Why WHy why why why kill the Type R just cause of the freeking marketing purposes?? What point does that honestly make?? Now i cant tell the difference between buying a luxury integra and bying the so called Type S.... just that one has like 30KW extra.... wheres the Recaros?? Wheres all those good bits that used to be on the type R?? and WTF??? 43K for a Luxry sporty verion type S?? get a life!!

when i was planning on buying a new car, i wanted a COUPE... 2 door COUPE.... and its amazing that only so little is on the market....

Nissan: 350Z (60K Cant afford that)
Misut: Nothing
Subaru: Nothing
Mazda: RX8 (60K Not worth it) - personal opnion, looks shit to the RX7s
Ford: Nothing
Holden: Astra convertable (Again 50-55K)- Even then u have to think if its a sports car
Toyota: Eco, Celica and Mr2
BMW: Cant afford, look away
Merc: Ditto
Audi: Ditto

The only one out of the lot that may intrest me is the Celica, at least it gets a half decent shell that looks sporty and with a decent enough price range!!... would have been tops if it was a RWD.... So i guess Toyota isnt as bad as what others is.. still got some afordable fast cars.... but nothing like before man...

Celica ST162-165 3SGE and 5S-FE - Sleek looking, got the grunts, not expensive, although 5S-FE for the 185 is a step down from 3S-GE me thinks.
Supra MA70 - Got Shit loads of grunt, good looks, but dearer
MR2 SW20 - Shat hot looks, "3S-GE", got grunts, WOOT RWD!!

im sure theres also others ppl know are good cars, but on top of my head, these were tops!!
indigoid
Regular

September 2002

Re: Why wont Toyota create a new gen Rwd-Vvti-sprinter? Mon, 17 January 2005 06:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I test drove an RX8 and LOVED it. Everyone else that I've spoken to that has actually driven one has shared my sentiments. have you?

Even Jeremy "I love cock" Clarkson loved it!
Yeeehah
Regular

May 2002
Re: Why wont Toyota create a new gen Rwd-Vvti-sprinter? Mon, 17 January 2005 06:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i was once an owner of a 1g ae86 and i wore the toyota badge with proud.

but now i'm over it, cause toyota couldn't offer me a reasonable upgrade when i sold my ae86.

So i searched around for something not as common. Alas, after months of hard work i came accross an immaculate mitsi EVO 1 which pretty much shits on anythin' even in stock form and is great around a track. Cool

bits-r-missing cars ain't all that bad!! Razz

Please don't hunt and burn me down.........

Yeeehah
Regular

May 2002
Re: Why wont Toyota create a new gen Rwd-Vvti-sprinter? Mon, 17 January 2005 06:27 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
by the way did u lads know mitsi actually made a mirage in 4wd form?

well they did and some of these little buggers are currently runnin 10's in NZ.
Pages (3): [1  2  3  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:sound/video 1g spriter
Next Topic:where to buy a sealed battery box?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 15:58:15 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00901198387146 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.