Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 1G query...

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
alterd
Newcomer

January 2005
1G query... Fri, 14 January 2005 23:13 Go to next message
I read an article on the net recently about a modified 1G-GTE that stated that 1G's have a set of butterflys "further down" in the inlet manifold (didn't say where) which stay closed at low RPM for better torque and open up for more flow at high RPM... the article advised taking them out for "more power" I've never heard of these before, and don't want to rip my inlet manifold off to find out if they exist, can anyone verify/disprove this?? Im trying to find the article again but havn't had any luck... Sad

On a seperate note, I'm getting a 1G-GTE HKS single turbo cast manifold flanged for T4 and ext. wastegate, have any of you owned/used one of these and what are they like? Any problems etc?
  Send a private message to this user    
chrisellis
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: 1G query... Fri, 14 January 2005 23:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no expert on 1G's by any means, but recalling what i read somewhere, only the early 1G-GE had butterflies, i.e i think no turbo or supercharged 1G had butterflies in it. But i wouldnt be surprised if im wrong, do a search and ull probably find what ur looking for.

About the HKS manifold. Its HKS man, it must be good, lol.
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: 1G query... Sat, 15 January 2005 00:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
alterd wrote on Sat, 15 January 2005 09:13

I read an article on the net recently about a modified 1G-GTE that stated that 1G's have a set of butterflys "further down" in the inlet manifold (didn't say where) which stay closed at low RPM for better torque and open up for more flow at high RPM... the article advised taking them out for "more power" I've never heard of these before, and don't want to rip my inlet manifold off to find out if they exist, can anyone verify/disprove this?? Im trying to find the article again but havn't had any luck... Sad

the plate between the head and the runners contains a butterfly in every second runner (of which there are 2 per cyl) - look/search for TVIS and you will find much more...

in a nutshell, they close off at low rpm so there is higher air-flow speeds down the` single-open runner for each cyl, net result is better engine response at lower rpm.

a number of toyota engines have TVIS

my 1g-gte does have this

there's no benefit from removing them unless your aftermarket ECU cannot control it, or the butterfly's are stuck shut.

[Updated on: Sat, 15 January 2005 00:35]

Ribbo
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1G query... Sat, 15 January 2005 02:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes my 1g-gte has tvis too, but previous owner removed the butter flys, I havn't driven it with them on so don't know if it made much of a difference
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1G query... Sat, 15 January 2005 11:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I thought all 1G-GTE's had TVIS?

HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1G query... Sat, 15 January 2005 23:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think they all do... I've looked at 5 or so, gen 1, 2, 3, every one of them had TVIS.
680OST
Regular

August 2004
Re: 1G query... Sun, 16 January 2005 01:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As far as I know, all turbo engines had them, not sure on the NA ones, and supercharged doesn't have them as the intake manifold is different. The problem with them is that the rod that does through the middle goes through every runner except the very front and rear runner, so there are 12 runners, 2 for each cylinder, and the butterflies cover one runner in each of the 2 per cylinder, but due to the design, the rod that passes through the middle, only goes through ports number 2 through 11, and there is nothing at all in 1 and 12, as even in every other port that desn't have a butterfly in it, the rod still has to pass through it to get to the one next to it.

Now, hopefully that wasn't all too confusing, but if you get the gist, the problem is, that that little piece or rod reduces flow by 11cfm, so the manifold flows 11cfm more on cylinders and and 6, not good, as these are 2 cylinders that generally are the first to go when you start melting pistons and stuff. The added problem with this is that the manifold with no butterflies attached already flows 10cfm more air on 1 and 6 on its own, so add the extra 11 cfm, and you have a pretty huge 21cfm more air on cylinder 1 and 6 than every other cylinder.

The manifold flows around 280cfm standard, so thats around 8% or something. Its no big deal in a mild engine, but not good if you are pushing it pretty hard with cooler, turbo and boost, the simple fix is drill and tap a 4mm hole in the ends and install a bolt that just screws straight in, making it the same as every other port, then you only have 10cfm difference to deal with, or 3-4%. They will make vertually no difference to power and should give a reasonable gain down low, so ZI would leave them there.

Cheers..................6BOOST:)
ddeane
Regular

June 2002
Re: 1G query... Sun, 16 January 2005 03:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gidday

As`far as I aware all 1ggteu engines have the TVIS system. AND they do make a significant difference to low down drivability. My engines if fairly modified (check readers rides and I think that you will find mine is as modified as much as anyones) and I made a deliberate decision after talking to the bloke that tuned my engine - Jake Edwards - to retain the facility. While I do switch mine with the computer Jake is of the opinion that even if your computer does not have the capability still leave them there as once the engine comes on (decent) boost you loose the vacuum to hold them closed and they get sucked open. If you hold them open all of the time you can see the diference on the dyno and the car feels doughy down low.

Bit more than opinion I have actually tested things.

Craig
alterd
Newcomer

January 2005
Re: 1G query... Sun, 16 January 2005 18:51 Go to previous message
Cheers guys, that pretty much tells me all I need to know!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:effect of running forced induction with standard ecu on VVT motor
Next Topic:dyna100 engine swap
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 19:56:20 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0056531429290771 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.