Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » supra handling...

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Evil_Foetus
Forums Junkie

March 2003
supra handling... Fri, 14 January 2005 06:57 Go to next message
i was wondering about the handling characteristics between the different generations of supra- namely, the ma61 and ma70...

now i know supras are designed more as a "gt cruiser" than a sports car, but ive heard the ma61 are more "sportier" than the ma70...

and i know an ma70 is much more of a lard-arse than the ma61...

so, in peoples experience, how does an ma61 compare to an ma70, with a similar suspension setup? what are the different pros and cons?

cheers

[Updated on: Fri, 14 January 2005 07:02]

Send a private message to this user    
Evil_Foetus
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: supra handling... Sat, 15 January 2005 08:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
anyone?
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: supra handling... Sat, 15 January 2005 08:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well, at a guess the 400+kgs of difference would make the ma61 a lot more nimble Smile "similar" suspension is difficult to work out... the ma70, to get similar handling, would need difference suspoension to offset it's greater weight (higher rate springs, etc)
TRD_Supra
Forums Junkie

On Probation

December 2004
Re: supra handling... Sun, 16 January 2005 06:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have an MA61 with a crappy 5ME (don't laugh) and my mate has an MA70 with a 7MGE... both 5 spd and when we drag them i always beat him.. unless he gets rolling he can never beat me.. i think its the weight factor.. even tho my engine is shit... The Ma61 is a very nice car, and yes they can be quite nimble. My mates MA61 with a 6MGE is very quick and likes doing burnouts!!
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: supra handling... Sun, 16 January 2005 07:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the ma70 should still spank the frilly pink panties off a stock ma61 - the 5m-e really is fairly gutless, and the 7m-ge has bags of torque and decent power (for a >10 year old design anyhow)
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: supra handling... Sun, 16 January 2005 08:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ma70 has better suspension geometry including, take a look at the front end for example.

The downside is the sheer weight of the beast which is what negatively effects them in the handling stakes.

Ma70 minus weight would be better than a 61 in my books.

Just try to find the weight to minimise now!
ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: supra handling... Sun, 16 January 2005 08:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSupra wrote on Sun, 16 January 2005 19:21

...Just try to find the weight to minimise now!

Wouldn't the use of a drill do it? Razz

Anyway, I rode in Allan's MA71 and that is soo different then my MA61 (in weight) but at the time 2 years ago he had buggered suspension but the 7M-GTE is fun when it is flogged...

Cheers.
Evil_Foetus
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: supra handling... Sun, 16 January 2005 12:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks for the replies gents- its helpful.

my car common sense had led me to these things, so it was good to hear them confirmed Smile

cheers
TRD_Supra
Forums Junkie

On Probation

December 2004
Re: supra handling... Sun, 16 January 2005 22:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
maybe he is just a really shitty driver cause i swear he can never beat me, and i do know the 5ME is fucking shit but still it better than walking... anyway it will get the 1JZ treatment soon enough!
Intensevil
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: supra handling... Sun, 16 January 2005 22:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just what is it that contributes to the mk3's weight so badly. The car isn't that big yet it weighs bloody heaps. did they make teh whole car out of cast iron or something?
wastegate
Regular

May 2002

Re: supra handling... Sun, 16 January 2005 23:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Intensevil wrote on Mon, 17 January 2005 09:54

just what is it that contributes to the mk3's weight so badly. The car isn't that big yet it weighs bloody heaps. did they make teh whole car out of cast iron or something?

If you have ever worked on one you would know. There is about 7 layers of steel in the A-Pillars alone.

The A70 has a better suspension design with double wishbone front and rear. You can run wider tyres on the A70 to give you better traction though the corners but it is let down by the weight.

I don't think it really matters too much in the real world, just like dyno figures.

The best handling Supra is the A80.
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: supra handling... Mon, 17 January 2005 00:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wastegate wrote on Mon, 17 January 2005 10:26

Intensevil wrote on Mon, 17 January 2005 09:54

If you have ever worked on one you would know. There is about 7 layers of steel in the A-Pillars alone.

The A70 has a better suspension design with double wishbone front and rear. You can run wider tyres on the A70 to give you better traction though the corners but it is let down by the weight.

I don't think it really matters too much in the real world, just like dyno figures.

The best handling Supra is the A80.

Spot on about tha A-pillars - the ma70/71 is really built like a brick shithouse. Reinforcing/bracing steel bars here, there and everywhere. Soft (especially by now) springs in the rear of the ma70 make it a bit floaty, but with decent springs/shock combo and new bushes the ma70's go OK. Plus being double wishbone they have a fair degree of adjustability. Getting fronts and rears aligned at the same time makes a difference too. A lower than stock front helps it point into the corners easier in my experience.

Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: supra handling... Mon, 17 January 2005 14:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I agree with what's been said so far; the MA70 has stacks of grip thanks to its well-sorted suspension, and will hang on much better than your average MA61, especially in the high-speed stuff. It is surprisingly nimble for a car of its size and weight, but having driven several examples of both cars I'd choose the MA61 any day for tight and twisty stuff - it is much more "chuckable" and also more forgiving when you find its limits. The MA70's limits are pretty high but woe betide the man who finds them at an inopportune moment...
Evil_Foetus
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: supra handling... Wed, 19 January 2005 15:59 Go to previous message
cool, thanks guys. interesting read.

do i see suspension time on my watch?! i think i nearly do... Evil or Very Mad
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:ke20? (ke10) in this months Zoom
Next Topic:Got T-Boned!
Goto Forum: