Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Members Rides » Stage 1 of my AE86 rebuild complete!!! (pics)

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
dori-kin
Newcomer

September 2004
Stage 1 of my AE86 rebuild complete!!! (pics) Tue, 11 January 2005 09:50 Go to next message
Hi everyone

As a thank you to everyone at Toymods I thought I'd post some pictures and info on the progress of my AE86 build. You have no idea how much the info on these forums have helped me.

Anyway here's some of the specs, all work was done myself except for paint and engine machining:

1991 AE92 small port head (mild port and polish and 3-angle valve job)
TRD 0.8mm head gasket
AE111 block - rebored and honed
AE111 conrods - crack tested, shot-peened and polished
Wiseco 0.5mm OS pistons (11.5:1 compression ratio)
AE111 crank - lightened
ARP main studs and rod bolts
AE101 oil pump
AE82 water pump
TPS engine and transmission mounts
Nevo Underdrive Pulleys
Custom twin-core radiator with twin Davies Craig thermo fans
1G-GZE starter with adapter
Jun 3.6kg Flywheel
Exedy Clutch
Entire rotating assembly (from front pulley to pressure plate) balanced
Cusco 4-1 Extractors
Buddy Club Spec II Exhaust
Carbing front brace
TPS rear brace
Custom recarpet
Techno Racing TVR 14" wheels

Pics: http://homepage.mac.com/zerodbu/PhotoAlbum1.html

I've got more parts arriving later this month so I'll add more pics and update this post when they have been fitted.

Let me know what you guys think or if you have any questions. Some of you may even recognise your old parts that I bought off you.

Regards

Gavin
  Send a private message to this user    
ShiRi
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Stage 1 of my AE86 rebuild complete!!! (pics) Tue, 11 January 2005 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's simply awesome, i can't think of anything else to say!

Where did you source the 240 dash?
Youngy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Stage 1 of my AE86 rebuild complete!!! (pics) Tue, 11 January 2005 11:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Very nice work!
truenosedan
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Stage 1 of my AE86 rebuild complete!!! (pics) Tue, 11 January 2005 11:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
canada most of them came from

what cams u running?

u had it dynoed?

what ecu?

nice! Very Happy

[Updated on: Tue, 11 January 2005 11:27]

dori-kin
Newcomer

September 2004
Re: Stage 1 of my AE86 rebuild complete!!! (pics) Thu, 13 January 2005 09:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shiri: I'm lucky enought to own a pretty rare NZ-new 86 which came stock with the 240km/h dash.

[Updated on: Thu, 13 January 2005 09:46]

dori-kin
Newcomer

September 2004
Re: Stage 1 of my AE86 rebuild complete!!! (pics) Thu, 13 January 2005 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
truenosedan: I'm running the stock smallport cams and AE86 computer. I've only had it running a few months so haven't had a chance to put it on the dyno. The idea of this first stage was to build a decent bottom end (and to get it on the road.)

QTBs, aftermarket ECU, cams and full head work will probably be done later in the year as funds allow. For now I'll be concentrating on brakes, diff and suspension.
truenosedan
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Stage 1 of my AE86 rebuild complete!!! (pics) Thu, 13 January 2005 13:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
get a link ecu from nz...heard some good stories...
MX73_drifter
Forums Junkie

October 2004

Re: Stage 1 of my AE86 rebuild complete!!! (pics) Thu, 13 January 2005 14:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nice
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Stage 1 of my AE86 rebuild complete!!! (pics) Fri, 14 January 2005 04:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tasty!!

v nice!
Skaney
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: Stage 1 of my AE86 rebuild complete!!! (pics) Fri, 14 January 2005 07:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That rear shot of your car looks so much like mine except my 86 is blue! Same spoiler, whitelines, panda bumpers and similar wheels.

The engine bay reminds me alot of project sparky.

ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Stage 1 of my AE86 rebuild complete!!! (pics) Fri, 14 January 2005 07:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
where u located dori-kin?
J-AE86
Forums Junkie

January 2003
Re: Stage 1 of my AE86 rebuild complete!!! (pics) Fri, 14 January 2005 13:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what kind of dizzy is that ?
Fujiwara_ToFu
Regular

March 2004

Re: Stage 1 of my AE86 rebuild complete!!! (pics) Fri, 14 January 2005 19:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Welcome aboard!

Awesome car Very Happy
I was browsing thru the buddyclub brochure and saw that exhaust u have.

What were the characteristics of the exhaust in terms of performance (torque in particular) and the note.

I'm also working in a 100kw (a more vastly inferior hybrid) and was thinking about this exhaust kit the other day.

Would be very interested to know.

-Jay
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Stage 1 of my AE86 rebuild complete!!! (pics) Sat, 15 January 2005 03:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
J-AE86 wrote on Sat, 15 January 2005 00:53

what kind of dizzy is that ?

100kw or ae82 dizzy

iirc
nightdevil
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2003

Re: Stage 1 of my AE86 rebuild complete!!! (pics) Sat, 15 January 2005 07:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bewdiful Very Happy
luvved the 240kph dials
dori-kin
Newcomer

September 2004
Re: Stage 1 of my AE86 rebuild complete!!! (pics) Mon, 17 January 2005 01:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
truenosedan - Yes, you're not the first person to tell me that. I think I'll go with a Link Plus because I also get the local knowledge and support. I think the closed loop and knock sensor will be a good choice for a daily driver.

ae86drift: Auckland, NZ

J-AE86 - Well spotted, it's an AE82 dizzy. I swapped it so that the spark plug leads could reach.

dori-kin
Newcomer

September 2004
Re: Stage 1 of my AE86 rebuild complete!!! (pics) Mon, 17 January 2005 01:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fujiwara_Tofu: I absolutely love the Buddy Club exhaust. It's under the diff but because of the small muffler it has very good ground clearance. The old over-the-diff exhaust used to rattle against the diff. Since owning it I've yet to scrape the bottom even going up driveways and over speed bumps. I do have to remove the rear section though when putting it on a hoist but that's a 1min job, you just remove two springs and 4x rubber doughnuts and pull it out.

Performance wise it's hard to say really, mainly because I installed it at the same time as the Cusco extractors. There was definitely an improvement from the midrange upwards and maybe a slight loss in low-end torque but that could be due to the extractors. It also weighs nothing, the entire cat-back exhaust system weighed almost the same as my old muffler! Sounds faster too.

Sound wise, without the silencer it is loud! I don't really like the attention loud exhausts attract so the silencer was installed. It's a higher pitched sound than your normal droning mufflers almost motorbike like. Sounds great when revving above 4k.

I have yet to find a better exhaust for the AE86 (best of all I only paid $300 for it.) Hope this helps.

[Updated on: Mon, 17 January 2005 01:15]

sickAE86
Regular

November 2004
Re: Stage 1 of my AE86 rebuild complete!!! (pics) Mon, 17 January 2005 14:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cars coming along well...... just curious on what size piping the exhaust is..... and is there anyone in Aust that can source that style of exhaust???

ADRIAN
driftae86
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Stage 1 of my AE86 rebuild complete!!! (pics) Thu, 20 January 2005 06:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yep, thats a very sexy car Very Happy
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Stage 1 of my AE86 rebuild complete!!! (pics) Thu, 20 January 2005 09:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Woah! What can I say? Beautiful man..... I love it.

sickae86 - Buddy Club exhausts can be had through Powerplay Imports and I think Bel Garage can get them as well. Keep in mind though that these are FUCKING LOUD! And nowhere near legal. Having said that, sometimes I wish I had got one instead of the N1.
Fujiwara_ToFu
Regular

March 2004

Re: Stage 1 of my AE86 rebuild complete!!! (pics) Sat, 22 January 2005 19:03 Go to previous message
dori-kin wrote on Mon, 17 January 2005 12:14

Fujiwara_Tofu: I absolutely love the Buddy Club exhaust. It's under the diff but because of the small muffler it has very good ground clearance. The old over-the-diff exhaust used to rattle against the diff. Since owning it I've yet to scrape the bottom even going up driveways and over speed bumps. I do have to remove the rear section though when putting it on a hoist but that's a 1min job, you just remove two springs and 4x rubber doughnuts and pull it out.

Performance wise it's hard to say really, mainly because I installed it at the same time as the Cusco extractors. There was definitely an improvement from the midrange upwards and maybe a slight loss in low-end torque but that could be due to the extractors. It also weighs nothing, the entire cat-back exhaust system weighed almost the same as my old muffler! Sounds faster too.

Sound wise, without the silencer it is loud! I don't really like the attention loud exhausts attract so the silencer was installed. It's a higher pitched sound than your normal droning mufflers almost motorbike like. Sounds great when revving above 4k.

I have yet to find a better exhaust for the AE86 (best of all I only paid $300 for it.) Hope this helps.

Definately helped. Thanks for the first hand description. Yeh from the brochure, it almost looked like a straight pipe and the notion of "ooo" ran through my head. However the cops are really coming down hard on defective vehicles in melbourne.

And only $300?! Shocked
Defect or no defect, i'd buy that anyday!!! i had spec-III buddyclub on my R33 and i absolutely LOVED every moment of it.

Once again, congradulations... excellent work and i look forward to read "stage II" Very Happy

Keep us posted!

-Jay

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Luke's 1jzgte Cressida
Next Topic:My Pimpin' Celsior
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 5 13:20:46 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0058820247650146 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.