Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » The Outhouse » UPDATE:failures that completed school --- WTF IS THIS A MIRACLE (1) 1 Vote(s)

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
xolent
Forums Junkie

October 2004
UPDATE:failures that completed school --- WTF IS THIS A MIRACLE Mon, 17 January 2005 01:49 Go to next message
alright, i pretty much didn't give it my best shot in my last year of school. and i didn't make it to any of my courses, and i honestly don't know what i want to do, but mechanical engineering is on my mind
has anyone experienced a similiar situation like the one i'm going through? i honestly don't know what to do, i'm thinking of repeating, cramming a grueling 7 terms of school work in 3 terms. or....
do mechanical technology at tafe, and hammer the shit out of it, and hope to god sydney uni accepts me?
i don't have a sound plan. i still don't know what i want and i THINK the only reason why i'm interested in mechanical engineering is because the past year or two i've been really interested in playing with cars and so on, and when i found out my cousin (who does it) built a race car in uni, i just melted! (in a non-sexual way). i don't know if i'll lose interest in this (coz i'm still a confused kid) and it only takes abit for something to change my interest?
i originally wanted to do civil engineering because i thought it'd be cool to be in the same industry as my dad.
has anyone on here failed their hsc, and some how ended up in university anyways? (excluding that mature age entry thing)

i hope i don't get flamed for not searching...

UPDATE:

OKAY, now WTF.
i just logged on to check my offers for the fun of it (i don't know why but i just had to find out if i even got one because everyone else did and i felt like a lonely mofo) and it said that i have an offer for mech engineering at uts.
is this some stupid lame joke that the site played on me or did someone from toymods deliberately hacked the system, somehow found my pin number and i.d number and made it look like i actually got an offer to play as a practical joke? i mean, it says my name and everything, and there's a box where i can accept or decline for the offer and all.
i can't exactly copy and paste because i tried logging on again to check it again but....

We're sorry, but the UAC database is undergoing scheduled maintenance.

The Offers application is not available between the hours of 12 midnight and 7:30 a.m. every day.

Please try to retrieve your Offers outside these times.

but i'll post to you guys at 7:30am
if there is actually something there, that means i got an offer right? ...right?

BECAUSE WTF? i don't want to get my hopes up too high but i'm hoping that this is one of those things where through miseries there comes miracles.

oh god, if i do some how actually get into this, i will promise:
1. i will try my best at university
2. learn extra
3. be good to my parents
4. make strut bars for everyone on toymods so cheap it's like giving it away.

oh god... this could actually change the way i value my life... oh wait... shit. i'm getting my hopes up.

[Updated on: Wed, 19 January 2005 13:26]

Send a private message to this user    
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: failures that completed school Mon, 17 January 2005 01:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just go get a job, if you didnt put the effort in this year you probably won't again, I know someone who repeated and still went shit the second time, cut your losses get a job. You can still make plenty of money by doing a trade.
Evan
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: failures that completed school Mon, 17 January 2005 02:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah don't go back.
There are heaps of bridging courses at uni which are similar to school but piss easy and they can help you get into uni or just get a job you bum Smile
xolent
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: failures that completed school Mon, 17 January 2005 02:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no no no...
i want to get into uni.
i'm going through a stage of redemption, and i'm seriously pissed off about last year and willing to make things work. seriously disappointed at myself and willing to make a few sacrifices this year...

.... Embarassed
Miss MR2
Regular

April 2004
Re: failures that completed school Mon, 17 January 2005 02:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ask yourself why you want to get into uni. And mechanical engineering at tafe is different to at uni. Unless you did 3unit maths at high school, i think you would strugle with mech eng at uni.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: failures that completed school Mon, 17 January 2005 02:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no offence but not everyone in the world is meant to go to uni. Another year at school is another year you have to wait before u start earning money. Uni is hard and even ppl that get the marks often drop out I know many ppl that have.
Uni is no the be all and end all, plenty of ppl that are rich never went. Your life is what you make of it, whatever you put in you get out. No one will stop you it ultimately your decision but after finishing even if I did go shit which I didn't I wouldn't go back.
ra23mad
Forums Junkie

September 2003

Re: failures that completed school Mon, 17 January 2005 02:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've never been to UNI..

I work in a reasonably high paid job for state government with the potential to go higher and further.

I failed year 11.

That said I did study after I finished / left school to get qualifications that were related to the industry that I work in
(IT - Network Management / Client Support ), that have far greater benefit than any uni course.

University is not the bee's knees - and there are always other ways.

my 2c..given current inflation, gst, and other deciding factors really worth 2/5 of fuckall.
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: failures that completed school Mon, 17 January 2005 03:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you just want to work on cars you will quickly become bored by the fact you have to do a million non-car related subjects to obtain your degree. Many subjects will be "first principles" and you probably won't be able to relate them to your practical experience.

That said, it is good to continue your education. I wouldn't be satisfied with not achieving year 12 if I gave it a shot. A friend of mine did badly, worked for a year (army ready reserve) and them repeated at a "Senior College" for adult schooling. Did so well the next time he got into aeronautical engineering, however now is getting a BArts in Mathematics!
xolent
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: failures that completed school Mon, 17 January 2005 03:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh i see, thanks for the infoand help guys

i originally wanted to go to uni because to make my parents happy because they spent so much money on my extra tutoring and all, but now i've come to realise that it would really help if i did learn abit more.i don't know, i just know that if i actually gave it my best shot i would of ended up in uni (in a non-egotistical way). well i did 4u maths at school, so i guess i can call myself a maths person?

like ra23mad, i dream to prove my parents wrong, fail school and some how make it big without uni, that's truly cool. but i don't know why nowadays i'm not seeing it that way, i just feel like i need to go? i'm interested in the course (not just cars), because i know people who do it and enjoy the course (influence of friends?). but that's the thing, maybe it's just one of those little things where you might lose interest in later, like how when we were little kids we said we wanted to be a fireman and all that? but i'm not sure whether if this is different, to me it doesn't. but i don't know why, but i would really love to make my own stuff, like a strut bar or a chair or something, making something like that seems to tickle my fancy nowadays.

yeh, and as miss mr2 said, yeh i JUST found that out a week ago luckily, apparently that's for year 10 students who just finished school. to do a engineering course in uni, i would have to do "mechanical technology", it's like preparing to be an engineer or somethng.

has anyone here just "went with the flow", like not knowing what the did, and just did any course and their still doing it? like, you just did some computer course at tafe because you chose it randomly and just did it for centrlink to pay you, and now you get paid high at some ISP company?

i'm starting to not make sense. i think i'm losing it.

[Updated on: Mon, 17 January 2005 03:58]

SetMeFree
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: failures that completed school Mon, 17 January 2005 04:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dont go with the flow, i did and ended up failing to complete my hsc 3 times. it all comes down to the group of friends you have, put them off for a year or so and work your ass off at tafe. im almost 21 and now going back to tafe to do a travel& tourism (international retail sales) course. go with the tafe idea, its a much more better way to get into uni. you also get to have a tafe cert. aswell.
alliance_22
Forums Junkie

October 2004

Re: failures that completed school Mon, 17 January 2005 04:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Similar situation with me, why dont u get a traineeship? Uni isnt for everyone i aggree.. but if you're determined, then go for it... i was once like u... till i found out how crappy i was in learning from TAFE.... wasted another 2 years before i realize what i'm suppose to do...
thu187
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: failures that completed school Mon, 17 January 2005 06:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey John if you want to go uni I rekn get into whatever you can @ UWS and then transfer.
I didn't get anywhere near the UAI I wanted so I'm just going into IT and then transferring after a semester.
I reckon it will be good because like you said you don't know what you want to do, so you've got that time while you're in the course to decide.
dimmy77_03
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: failures that completed school Mon, 17 January 2005 07:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
apply for TAFE, and do 1st year there, and if you have good enough marks, the uni's will accept you, and you can start from 2nd year Very Happy

A few mates have/are doing it...
xolent
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: failures that completed school Mon, 17 January 2005 11:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dimmy77_03 wrote on Mon, 17 January 2005 18:15

apply for TAFE, and do 1st year there, and if you have good enough marks, the uni's will accept you, and you can start from 2nd year Very Happy

A few mates have/are doing it...

yeh, but i've heard some unis are very very very selective.
ultimately they said, it will come down to my uai mark

i'm thinking of repeating, if i repeat, i know my course, only 10 months to complete, and i'll have heaps of choices and oppurtunities. don't know whether this would be the easy way out or not
thu187
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: failures that completed school Mon, 17 January 2005 12:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just get into whatever uni you can.
K, here's what my friend did.

Didn't get a good UAI.
Went to TAFE. Did a computer course (admin or comp. science, can't remember).
At Uni for the course it's all theory. At TAFE you're always in front of a computer. So at the end of it he applied for uni, got exempt the first year. So he went into 2nd year with better skills than everyone else. This was at Macquarie. He finished his bachelor then transferred and now it says he did his Masters at Sydney University.

Not getting into the course you want straight away is no biggie. Smile
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: failures that completed school Mon, 17 January 2005 13:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
UNI blows goats for engineering courses anyway because they give you fuck all practical skills.
You are best off doing the engineering cert at a tafe and this way all employers know that you are actually capable of doing the work you are applying for.
Miss MR2
Regular

April 2004
Re: failures that completed school Mon, 17 January 2005 23:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool1 wrote on Tue, 18 January 2005 00:07

UNI blows goats for engineering courses anyway because they give you fuck all practical skills.
You are best off doing the engineering cert at a tafe and this way all employers know that you are actually capable of doing the work you are applying for.

Every engineering degree at newcastle uni requires 12 weeks of industrial experience to be done as part of the degree requirements.

Tafe is a technical college and the diploma is such that what you learn is designed for a tradesman. Hence it will be hands on and teach you only the thing you will need to use. Uni degrees will teach you all the theory and underlying principles. They give you broard skills and knowledge to work out the problem yourself.

Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: failures that completed school Mon, 17 January 2005 23:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool1 wrote on Mon, 17 January 2005 21:07

Thats a pretty stupid thing to say.

There are so many different areas to mechanical engineering that uni or tafe could only ever been seen as the place where you learn fundemental principles. You could work 20 years as a project engineer in oil and gas then switch to HVAC and its like starting all over again. Employers know this and your worth is proven in the job you do not for your apparent practical skills at tafe. A uni degree as a Bachelor of Engineering will give you alot more earning power than a tafe certificate.

What UNI are you reffering to anyway Cool1? I think you will find they are all quite different.
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: failures that completed school Mon, 17 January 2005 23:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Miss MR2 wrote on Tue, 18 January 2005 07:51

Cool1 wrote on Tue, 18 January 2005 00:07

Every engineering degree at newcastle uni requires 12 weeks of industrial experience to be done as part of the degree requirements.

Tafe is a technical college and the diploma is such that what you learn is designed for a tradesman. Hence it will be hands on and teach you only the thing you will need to use. Uni degrees will teach you all the theory and underlying principles. They give you broard skills and knowledge to work out the problem yourself.

Yes
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: failures that completed school Tue, 18 January 2005 02:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
xolent wrote on Mon, 17 January 2005 12:49

i don't have a sound plan. i still don't know what i want and i THINK the only reason why i'm interested in mechanical engineering is because the past year or two i've been really interested in playing with cars and so on, and when i found out my cousin (who does it) built a race car in uni, i just melted! (in a non-sexual way). i don't know if i'll lose interest in this (coz i'm still a confused kid) and it only takes abit for something to change my interest? .

based on this, DO NOT go to uni. uni should be for when you are decided. the number of people who do 1-2 years then drop out with nothing to show but a fat hecs bill is scary. do some work somewhere you might be interested, travel... do something to help you find your calling, *then* go about pursuing further education toward your chosen goal.

And dont mind shane, he doesn't like unis Razz
xolent
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: failures that completed school Tue, 18 January 2005 02:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeh, i'm unsure about what to do but definately i shouldn't waste anymore time and i'll just study.
i wish i was still in school lol
thanks for the help guys, really appreciate it.

[Updated on: Tue, 18 January 2005 02:05]

Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: failures that completed school Tue, 18 January 2005 02:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
12 weeks? Laughing Thats a joke. I had to do 3 years on job experience to do my cert as an electronics engineer Confused
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: failures that completed school Tue, 18 January 2005 02:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
is that a new frog
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: failures that completed school Tue, 18 January 2005 02:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Depends what you mean by new.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: failures that completed school Tue, 18 January 2005 02:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
a new pic in the avatar
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: failures that completed school Tue, 18 January 2005 02:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Its the same picture as the last but without color inversion.

[Updated on: Tue, 18 January 2005 02:43]

Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: failures that completed school Tue, 18 January 2005 02:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thought so
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: failures that completed school Tue, 18 January 2005 02:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool1 wrote on Tue, 18 January 2005 10:17

12 weeks? Laughing Thats a joke. I had to do 3 years on job experience to do my cert as an electronics engineer Confused

Still doesnt change the fact that you having a certificate as an electronics engineer has different roles etc. to someone with a B.Eng in electrical.

Werent we talking mechanical anyway?
Miss MR2
Regular

April 2004
Re: failures that completed school Tue, 18 January 2005 02:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool1 wrote on Tue, 18 January 2005 13:17

is your certificate a uni degree? or was it done through tafe?
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: failures that completed school Tue, 18 January 2005 03:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
xolent wrote on Mon, 17 January 2005 14:53

i originally wanted to go to uni because to make my parents happy

Don't go to uni just to make your parents happy.
You need to want to do it for yourself otherwise you will never finish!

If you go to uni and do a course you don't want to do you will quickly get bored and even if you do get through it you will then end up in a job that shits you!

If you really want to do a certain course but haven't got the marks for it apply for a course with similar subjects and if you work hard you can transfer to your preferred course after a semester or two.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: failures that completed school Tue, 18 January 2005 04:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Miss MR2 wrote on Tue, 18 January 2005 12:58

Cool1 wrote on Tue, 18 January 2005 13:17

is your certificate a uni degree? or was it done through tafe?

Its an advanced diploma. So no its not a UNI degree.
If I wanted to do a doctorate I could walk into any university and RPL though most stages as I have covered some of what they would be trying to teach.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: failures that completed school Tue, 18 January 2005 04:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skip wrote on Tue, 18 January 2005 12:43

Still doesnt change the fact that you having a certificate as an electronics engineer has different roles etc. to someone with a B.Eng in electrical.

Electronics and electrical are two very much different things anyway Rolling Eyes So umm, whats your point?
wagonist
Forums Junkie

Toymods Club Treasurer

May 2002
Re: failures that completed school Tue, 18 January 2005 04:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I could quote a few things from above.

but:
Do not go to uni simply to please your parents
Do not go to uni until you are absolutely sure what you want to do.
If you want to get into the hands on part of things, uni probably isn't the place to be. I've a Bachelor in Civil Engineering. Biggest waste of 5.5 years of my life. The only benefit was getting the peice of paper at the end. I do construction of roads & stuff for a living & never used any of the theory I learnt (University of Queensland is only good for pushing people into postgrad & lecturing jobs, in Civil anyway). I've had to look after students at work experience from QUT & they knew more than me.

There's probably one uni in each state that's good at the practical aspects & specialised field, & another thats good for theory.
Figure out what you what the pick the right one.

On the other hand, I've got a workmate who got a diploma in Civil Engineering at TAFE, he's 6 weeks older, started TAFE later & finished earlier, & has a higher paying job than me. I probably get more job satisfaction though.

My suggestion: take a year off, do some full time work, even maybe try to get an apprenticeship at a mechanic or something in the general field. You may discover you hate it. I love to work on cars, but I'd never do it full time, too frustrating. And how many mechanic's daily drivers are worked on?

My 3.2c (incl GST) worth

Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: failures that completed school Tue, 18 January 2005 05:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool1 wrote on Tue, 18 January 2005 12:19

Skip wrote on Tue, 18 January 2005 12:43

Electronics and electrical are two very much different things anyway Rolling Eyes So umm, whats your point?

OK then I may have said the wrong thing.

So umm, if you wanted to do a doctorate and could walk into any university and RPL though most stages as you have covered some of what they would be trying to teach, what uni degree would this be for?

My point is tafe diploma's and uni degrees are different things. You orginally made it sound like employers don't know the difference.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: failures that completed school Tue, 18 January 2005 05:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Employers do know the difference. All employers I work for and know would never employ someone that had been to UNI if they had the choice of them or someone that had studied at a college.
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: failures that completed school Tue, 18 January 2005 06:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

You gotta decide what you want to do. It's rather pointless furthering your education unless you know where you want to go, so you won't waste time or money.

Get onto a Java or C++ course and learn how to program. Then get yourself over to London where they're screaming for IT people. Being young you'll have no trouble getting a work visa and no trouble in getting a job. Although the UK is a part of the ECC, they have more jobs than people to fill them and someone will take you. It's good money, you can check out Europe and have a good time and increase your skills.

Failing that, if you desire Uni badly, then go to the TAFE and do the course that crams in years 11&12 then see if you get into Uni. But, be sure what you want to do before you decide 'cos you're just gonna waste another year if you're not serious or if you fail TAFE.

Well, that's the nice friendly fatherly advice bit.

seeyuzz
river
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: failures that completed school Tue, 18 January 2005 08:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah well in the end all employers are different and are looking for different things. I know this, yeah but i know this arguements are pointless and hold little credibility.
Sigmeister
Regular

June 2004
Re: failures that completed school Tue, 18 January 2005 08:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Most of my friends went to Uni, I didn't really have good enough scores to get in, but I am so glad I didn't. I now earn more than all of them, and have real world skills as opposed to a piece of paper.

I think it depends on what sort of job you are looking for though. Clearly I cannot be a doctor with just work experiece skills.

I have no formal qualifications, but have been working in IT for 5 years for large companies working with just about everything. Windows, novell, UNIX, Oracle etc. All on the job stuff with no qualifications.
I find that employers will prefer Experience over a piece of paper
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: failures that completed school Tue, 18 January 2005 08:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sigmeister wrote on Tue, 18 January 2005 18:48

I find that employers will prefer Experience over a piece of paper

Damm straight!
thu187
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: failures that completed school Tue, 18 January 2005 17:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's not that easy to not go to uni to please your parents.
Well in my case I want to go and I'm planning on transferring into the course I want but it means spending a semester doing a course I don't want to do.
But I mean you live with your folks. I didn't get anywhere near the UAI I thought I was going to and didn't live up to their expectations so I cop shit everyday. I just want to relax for this holiday period where I'm TOTALLY free. I won't have that ever again. Instead they're pissed and are like "blah blah blah go get a job. Do this. Do that. etc."
They don't give me money anymore and give me all this extra crap to do that they wouldn't normally. Fair enough I should get a job if I want money. We're not exactly rich either but I worked my ass off in year 11 and didn't ask them for a cent of money for so long. Instead I used the hard earned money that I made whenever I went out or wanted to buy something. On the other hand my sister gets money to do whatever she wants..

I will get a job once uni starts, it's annoying checking out decent paying jobs that I can't apply for because I don't know what uni hours will be like. I suppose I could move out but then I wouldn't be able to save nearly as much money, I'd have to use almost all of it to survive. I dont know.. It's just annoying how other parents are happy for their kids to do whatever whilst parents like mine are being arseholes. I don't know how bad things would be if I didn't even make uni. Right now I sleep during the day and avoid them because they give me so much shit.
Bleh..

/end rant.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: failures that completed school Wed, 19 January 2005 01:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shouldn't that be 2.2 cents wagonist
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: failures that completed school Wed, 19 January 2005 12:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I got half way through year 12 and decided i didnt give a fuck any more, stopped going to basically everything. got an OP 22(worst is an op25)
the next year i got off my ass and got a scholarship doing 3d animation(that i had done a lot of in the past).
that course didnt help me what so ever, so i bummed around working at sizzler paying off my soarer, when i got sick of that i decided to get off my ass again and start to get a portfolio together.
Now I make supercars for games at between 1500 and 1900 a week at 19(well, just turned 20 after got job)
theres a failure story for ya

[Updated on: Wed, 19 January 2005 12:22]

xolent
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: failures that completed school Wed, 19 January 2005 13:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jag7799 wrote on Wed, 19 January 2005 23:16

I got half way through year 12 and decided i didnt give a fuck any more, stopped going to basically everything. got an OP 22(worst is an op25)
the next year i got off my ass and got a scholarship doing 3d animation(that i had done a lot of in the past).
that course didnt help me what so ever, so i bummed around working at sizzler paying off my soarer, when i got sick of that i decided to get off my ass again and start to get a portfolio together.
Now I make supercars for games at between 1500 and 1900 a week at 19(well, just turned 20 after got job)

yeh, those are one of those stories that i've read in that stupid business studies text book where the do interviews with sucessful business people (i admired the high school drop outs becoming millionaires stories the most). this probably made all my friends and myself say "ha, we can still become rich after failing school"

you know what's a mad number plate for successful high school drop outs driving mad cars?
NO-UAI (uai is what we call them now)
that's a great one!

it's actually a friend's idea haha a shout to the birrong boys drop outs!!

for everyone that actually posted in here helping me and giving me advice, thanx alot. really appreciate it and it means alot to me. oh man i'm gonna cry Embarassed Razz

[Updated on: Wed, 19 January 2005 13:33]

Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: failures that completed school Wed, 19 January 2005 13:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
xolent wrote on Thu, 20 January 2005 00:10

yeh, those are one of those stories that i've read in that stupid business studies text book where the do interviews with sucessful business people (i admired the high school drop outs becoming millionaires stories the most). this probably made all my friends and myself say "ha, we can still become rich after failing school"

you know what's a mad number plate for successful high school drop outs driving mad cars?
that's a great one!

though it isn't my idea

the best way to get rich is save and invest... for the average earner.. thats what i plan to do. my living expenses a month are about 500 bucks.. which means i "can" if i like.. save 7000 a month or so, obviously i wont save that much.. but still.. i plan to do that for a while and chuck it all into a term deposit
and just keep building it up

just do something you like, if you dont like it.. it will be exactly like school and you will give up
xolent
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: failures that completed school Wed, 19 January 2005 13:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jag7799 wrote on Thu, 20 January 2005 00:27

that's a great one!

though it isn't my idea

the best way to get rich is save and invest... for the average earner.. thats what i plan to do. my living expenses a month are about 500 bucks.. which means i "can" if i like.. save 7000 a month or so, obviously i wont save that much.. but still.. i plan to do that for a while and chuck it all into a term deposit

just do something you like, if you dont like it.. it will be exactly like school and you will give up

7000? that's abit too much! (but since when is there enough). how would you go on about investing? like buying stocks, property or just shoving it in the bank?
so how did you go on about discovering what you like?
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: UPDATE:failures that completed school --- WTF IS THIS A MIRACLE Wed, 19 January 2005 13:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My penis is growing like there is no tomorrow.
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: failures that completed school Wed, 19 January 2005 13:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
xolent wrote on Thu, 20 January 2005 00:32

Jag7799 wrote on Thu, 20 January 2005 00:27

that's a great one!

though it isn't my idea

7000? that's abit too much! (but since when is there enough). how would you go on about investing? like buying stocks, property or just shoving it in the bank?
so how did you go on about discovering what you like?

I did it since year 9 as a hobby
I would use term deposits and property
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: UPDATE:failures that completed school --- WTF IS THIS A MIRACLE Thu, 20 January 2005 03:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i made it into my first preference b busuness accounting at uws campbelltown, yay my job is now finalised and I can earn some money to get a better car
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: UPDATE:failures that completed school --- WTF IS THIS A MIRACLE Thu, 20 January 2005 05:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Save $7000 a month?

You said you earnt 1500 - 1900 a week so 1900x4 = $7600

You figure you only have $500 a month living expense so yeah you can save $7100 a month

EVER HEARD OF THE TAXATION SYSTEM???????????

You earn this but you wont buy a good boost gauge for your car???

How the hell do you live on $500 a month? By drinking tap water, eating rice and wearing garbage bags?
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: UPDATE:failures that completed school --- WTF IS THIS A MIRACLE Thu, 20 January 2005 06:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mechanical engineering is pretty easy to get into at UTS... god knows why, i didnt like the look of 60% of the drongos i saw in 1st year that obviously didnt have the brains to comprehend lego, let along REAL WORLD mechanical engineering.

anyway - i hope you are up to it. Engineering is a very respectable and in my mind one of the most important professions in our society.

Well done.
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: UPDATE:failures that completed school --- WTF IS THIS A MIRACLE Thu, 20 January 2005 06:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skip wrote on Thu, 20 January 2005 16:10

Save $7000 a month?

You said you earnt 1500 - 1900 a week so 1900x4 = $7600

You figure you only have $500 a month living expense so yeah you can save $7100 a month

EVER HEARD OF THE TAXATION SYSTEM???????????

You earn this but you wont buy a good boost gauge for your car???

How the hell do you live on $500 a month? By drinking tap water, eating rice and wearing garbage bags?

saving 7000 inclues the saving for my tax money as i pay my tax at the end of year
my only bills are internet and phone which is 25 a week which means about 75(but generally a bit more) to blow on shit
I drink like 2 litres of coke a day.. and spend lots of money on food
also, why pay heaps for a boost gauge that doesent do any more than something 1/3rd its price? hehe
i dont see the point
Ive also made the decision now that after the brake upgrade, the true trac diff and dumps and exhaust, my car will no longer have any more than necessary money spent on it.
I want to invest everything to hopefully create easy sailing later on in life

[Updated on: Thu, 20 January 2005 06:53]

Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: UPDATE:failures that completed school --- WTF IS THIS A MIRACLE Thu, 20 January 2005 08:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Will in the end even including the tax your are doing extremely well for yourself so props to you.

I wish I could save like yourself, I usually spend $300 a week pissing it up alone Smile

Coke must be the fuel of the graphic designer.
xolent
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: UPDATE:failures that completed school --- WTF IS THIS A MIRACLE Thu, 20 January 2005 08:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HAHA i made it! i actually got a letter! so i don't think it's some evil prank!
so witzl, so you have done/do mechanical engineering?
it's alot of maths i heard but i think i'm up to it... but the thing is, i haven't done physics in school Confused
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: UPDATE:failures that completed school --- WTF IS THIS A MIRACLE Thu, 20 January 2005 08:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skip wrote on Thu, 20 January 2005 19:07

Will in the end even including the tax your are doing extremely well for yourself so props to you.

I wish I could save like yourself, I usually spend $300 a week pissing it up alone Smile

Coke must be the fuel of the graphic designer.

lol, i go out like once every 2 weeks, otherwise it gets old.. id probably go more if i didnt have a gf.. but oh well.. so i generally work in the afternoon/night time
its not a bad ammount of money to be getting at 20..
coke saves me
though my teeth dont like it
Miss MR2
Regular

April 2004
Re: UPDATE:failures that completed school --- WTF IS THIS A MIRACLE Thu, 20 January 2005 10:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Engineering is A LOT of maths.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: UPDATE:failures that completed school --- WTF IS THIS A MIRACLE Thu, 20 January 2005 23:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
one of my mates is doing Mechanical engineering at UTS or got into it anyway, entry is only 74. something he got 97.4 derr why he do for sucha low course, could of done it elsewhere. My course dropped from 85.6 last year to 72.4 I breezed in with 86.5. What was all that worrying about Very Happy
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: UPDATE:failures that completed school --- WTF IS THIS A MIRACLE Fri, 21 January 2005 00:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Miss MR2 wrote on Thu, 20 January 2005 18:47

Engineering is A LOT of maths.

Yeah tell me about it.

I didnt do TEE G&T or Calculus, and missed the bridging course before my first semester of uni. Damn did I have some catching up to do in first semester Confused
xolent
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: UPDATE:failures that completed school --- WTF IS THIS A MIRACLE Fri, 21 January 2005 01:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
will i be alright if i have no physics knowledge?
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: UPDATE:failures that completed school --- WTF IS THIS A MIRACLE Fri, 21 January 2005 01:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
err no and I thought physics was a pre requesite for any engineering course thus you should be doing a bridging course.
Kimber
Occasional Poster

Banned Again

January 2005
Re: UPDATE:failures that completed school --- WTF IS THIS A MIRACLE Fri, 21 January 2005 01:41 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Is it really bad that im doing general maths, and wanting to go into a Mechanical Engineering course at uni?
Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Guess who is 1 Today :)
Next Topic:creatures found in Phuket..A MUST SEE
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 13:39:21 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.009505033493042 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.