Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
alliance_22
Forums Junkie

October 2004

Celica SX 93 model Mon, 11 October 2004 02:57 Go to next message
Hi Guys,

I'm keen to buy a Celica SX (93 model) for my pride and joy, but i know little about them, apart from that they are F/F Fully sick looking, pop-up headlights... Twin cam... and about 100kw at the wheels...

Can someone correct my information and let me know a bit more about the car and specs? and if you would recommend the 93 series or the 89 ones?

Thanks heaps guys,
~Alliance
  Send a private message to this user    
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Celica SX 93 model Mon, 11 October 2004 03:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
eek bro!

They are not 100kw at the wheels. They have a Camry motor in them.. and are not very fast. Infact the 86-89 model are better in terms of speed and mod-ability.

All depends what you want, but if you are looking for a fast car, that ain't it. It isn't even that easy to mod up, as it has a skinny "economy" head amongst other things. (man I am so sorry to be a wet blanket.. I saw your post in the other thread about the stolen AE86 - but I don't want you to be going out and buying this car that is so NOT 100kw atw)

For celica's I would recommend the 20X series (1995 following????) or my series.. the 86-89. if you can find one with a nice Series II 3SGE you might get 92 atw or something, but they never came with that from the factory in Australia.

or any of the RA, TA series.. old skool sexy ones that is..

if you are getting one for a winner price and can't pass it up etc etc well that's cool, but hey, check the powersterring pump. it leaks on these (and almost every other toyota) but it is bad in the ST18X Celicas as it drips onto the CV boots and they corrode quite quickly. I have seen some examples..

anyway mate that's my essay

man I am so no fun.... but dat is da truth

edit: grammer

[Updated on: Mon, 11 October 2004 03:05]

alliance_22
Forums Junkie

October 2004

Re: Celica SX 93 model Mon, 11 October 2004 03:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey Rob mate, thats excatly waht i need to hear... This will be the first car i'll be getting, so i need to know the goods and bads... I always liked the 89 models... they look sexy Very Happy ...

Didnt they have the same engine all the way through to 1993 bro? i mean i thought they had the same engine from 1986 to 1993... i'm worng here, i can smell my mistake Very Happy..

Thanks for the crutial info Rob, i need these... Very Happy

~Alliance
alliance_22
Forums Junkie

October 2004

Re: Celica SX 93 model Mon, 11 October 2004 03:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BTW, how powerful are sprinters? i always loved the sound from a sprinter Shocked
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Celica SX 93 model Mon, 11 October 2004 03:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
"how powerful are sprinters" = "how long is a piece of string"

all depends. in stock variety in australia they are terrible. but they are light and handle well, so with a good motor heaps of fun

the 93 model celicas do look good, this is true Smile

Quick rundown on motors

86-89 = pointy shape like mine. Mostly 3SGE motors = 103kw at the fly Infact this was the last time for a long time that the celica had its own dedicated motor.

89-94??? = roundy shape like you want = 5SFE motor (not sure on specs, but same motor as the SV21 (squarey) Camrys

This site has some good stats under "Reference" too most of which is accurate for Australia

http://www.toyotacelicaonline.com/celica1/usid.htm

edit: irrelevant stuff in edited out

[Updated on: Mon, 11 October 2004 03:26]

alliance_22
Forums Junkie

October 2004

Re: Celica SX 93 model Mon, 11 October 2004 03:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the info bro! will search through it now

just out of interest, the 86-89 series... they can go from 0-100/km in less than 10 secs right?

How do u find the handling on you car? when you first got it? was it good?

My Skyline is suppose to have a 118kw engine... but i dont think it has even 80kw atw... and it goes from 0-100 in like 11-12 sec

[Updated on: Mon, 11 October 2004 03:32]

RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Celica SX 93 model Mon, 11 October 2004 03:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yep Wink
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Celica SX 93 model Mon, 11 October 2004 03:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
also check this dude

http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?th=16674&am p;t=msg
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Celica SX 93 model Tue, 12 October 2004 05:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

just out of interest, the 86-89 series... they can go from 0-100/km in less than 10 secs right?
Depends who you talk to Smile

I always under-inflate figures because I let actual driving do the talkin' Razz

As for you power at the wheels conundrum, my GT4 has 93kW at the wheels and although it's a little bit old, it should still be putting out around 140kW at the flywheel/engine.

One thing - BEWARE the 3S-FE...it's a piece of garbage. Make sure the car you get has the 3S-GE!
alliance_22
Forums Junkie

October 2004

Re: Celica SX 93 model Tue, 12 October 2004 05:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks mate... will make sure of it

Is there a way to tell the diff between the the 2 engine? i mean just by physically looking at it?

st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Celica SX 93 model Tue, 12 October 2004 07:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
st184 - 5s-Fe : 1994-95 135HP @ 5400RPM , 145lb.ft @ 4400RPM

st162 - 3s-Ge : 1986-89 135HP@6000RPM , 125lb.ft @ 4800RPMs

3s-Fe : 1986-89 115HP@6000RPM , 124lb.ft @ 4800RPMs

does that make anything clearer? The Fe head is the economeiser, but the extra capacity of the 2.2L 5s-Fe makes it as powerful as the 2.0L 3s-Ge with the performance head.

I got my SillyCar for $6600 at auction, but not sure if I'd pay the market value, which is around $10k. I would have gotten something (anything) RWD, but they were all poofter autos the coupla weeks I went to the auctions. DO NOT get me started on how bad I HATE Automatic gearboxs!!!!!! Mad

The V8 Soarer was lookn real good, but I just couldn't bring myself to slap down hard-earned on a heavy automatic. -Dumb automatics.
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: Celica SX 93 model Tue, 12 October 2004 08:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if your lookign for a first car the st184 (89-93) are pretty nice. ive had one now for over 2 years. not the quickest thing around but quick enough to have a bit of fun without getting yourself in too much trouble.

look deadset sexy, yes the 5sfe engine isnt as fun as the older 3sge but it pulls along pretty nicely, will jump you to 100 in around 10 (never really checked). good tyres help.

they handle nicely for what they are. insurance is pretty reasnaoable, heaps cheaper then any import.

and to boot.... mine is for sale Smile

http://members.iinet.net.au/~toof/toof1.JPG

pm for more info Smile
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: Celica SX 93 model Tue, 12 October 2004 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh and forgot to say. if your looking at them things to be aware of.

1) distributors leak oil - just about every toyots from the era does Smile
2) axle seals often go (common problem - ive replaced mine)
3) 2nd gear syncros go if abused (fairly common to *all* cars though)
alliance_22
Forums Junkie

October 2004

Re: Celica SX 93 model Fri, 14 January 2005 04:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just update on this:

I bought my ST162 on November 16th, i also became really really good friends with RobST162, hes one of the best person i've ever spoke to, really friendly and honest. Because of his assistance and advice, i bought myself one of the best celica ST162 (Best price for the money). I couldnt believe that he even came with me to test nearly all the celicas around Sydney... A very good person... SO anyone wanting some really good advice and all.... ROBST162 is the man to speak to.... Also, Here's a few pixies of my Pride and Joy!

http://users.tpg.com.au/adslm8w0/WL1.jpghttp://users.tpg.com.au/adslm8w0/WL2.jpg
http://users.tpg.com.au/adslm8w0/WL4.jpg
http://users.tpg.com.au/adslm8w0/WL5.jpg
http://users.tpg.com.au/adslm8w0/WL7.jpg
http://users.tpg.com.au/adslm8w0/White_lightning_3.jpg
http://users.tpg.com.au/adslm8w0/3.jpg

Cheers all,
Chopin
kojak
Regular

January 2004
Re: Celica SX 93 model Sun, 16 January 2005 04:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you mate, have a beautiful celica Surprised
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Celica SX 93 model Sun, 16 January 2005 11:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
them cam covers are mad!

never seen them on any gen 3sge.

AaronST185
Regular

December 2004
Re: Celica SX 93 model Mon, 17 January 2005 02:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey alliance_22, why don't you get a GT4? Same shape (except the scoop on the bonnet) and probably not a great deal more expensive.
djcougar
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: Celica SX 93 model Mon, 17 January 2005 02:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if ya read mate
he has already purchased a st162
not a gt4
but it has a gen2 3sge engine in it
AaronST185
Regular

December 2004
Re: Celica SX 93 model Mon, 17 January 2005 02:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oops Embarassed Thanks for pointing that out.
I love the car that he bought though.
alliance_22
Forums Junkie

October 2004

Re: Celica SX 93 model Mon, 17 January 2005 03:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey aaron, i'd love to buy a GT4, but insurance costs a bit for me, and its a bit harder to look after one of those Confused .. i'd prolly get one sometime though... they are good very good and rare cars!
AaronST185
Regular

December 2004
Re: Celica SX 93 model Mon, 17 January 2005 06:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm un-insured Very Happy
SetMeFree
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: Celica SX 93 model Mon, 17 January 2005 07:02 Go to previous message
man that is sexy!!!!! RobST162 is a great guy, ive met him before, seems like a very friendly person!. if only i could buy a celica...... but i have to get something bigger then 2 doors Sad i luv the plates on ur celica, keep it up
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:SW20 looking to buy. what to look for?
Next Topic:rant........ pissed off styles........
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 12:36:27 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0074560642242432 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.