Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » sound deadening, take it or leave it?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
jesseT18
Forums Junkie

February 2004
sound deadening, take it or leave it? Mon, 10 January 2005 12:47 Go to next message
im really tossing over whether or not i should remove the sound deadening in the t18...
not just for the weight reduction but i would like to paint the interior up, so i can drive it around with no interior and it will still look half decent, it looks crap with the sound deadening stuff there!
how much louder is the car with this stuff removed? i would only remove it up to the back seats, im going to leave the front interior exactly how it is...
it is a street car, but i definately will go to lots of track days...help me deicide!

http://img75.exs.cx/img75/9884/stripped4xg.jpg
  Send a private message to this user    
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: sound deadening, take it or leave it? Mon, 10 January 2005 12:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the stuff that is where the rear seats used to be is a major PITA to get out. i gave up and left it there. ill soon see how easy it is to paint over Smile

the other stuff that you can see between the shock towers is really easy to take off with a heat gun and mineral turps.
clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: sound deadening, take it or leave it? Mon, 10 January 2005 14:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Petrol will dissolve it but leave a major mess and takes forever to complete, unless you add a match.
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: sound deadening, take it or leave it? Mon, 10 January 2005 14:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
heat gun and scraper it out
then use kero to clean the surface free of the gum
then primer + paint

i have just done this not long ago
and this beats setting it on fire, dried ice

[Updated on: Mon, 10 January 2005 14:35]

HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: sound deadening, take it or leave it? Tue, 11 January 2005 01:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I heard just normal ice works... water gets under it and loosens it up.

Dunno for sure though.
jesseT18
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: sound deadening, take it or leave it? Tue, 11 January 2005 01:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how much louder is the car with this stuff removed?

i stil havent decided if its worth taking out or not!
d-shiznit
Regular

May 2004
Re: sound deadening, take it or leave it? Tue, 11 January 2005 10:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I used a hammer and chisel, took ages!
Then I found the wire brush on an angle grinder...
It's fast, takes all the left behind residue off, and also the old primer.
Youngy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: sound deadening, take it or leave it? Tue, 11 January 2005 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Any form of 'ice' is a waste of time. I tried dry ice after reading about it on the US forums. Just dumb. I used a heat gun and a curved edged scrapper.

Just like pealing out peanut butter - no real effort. Then I used K&H wax and grease remover for what was left. Came up perfect.
jc80
Occasional Poster

October 2004

Re: sound deadening, take it or leave it? Tue, 11 January 2005 13:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dont know much how it will affect the sound, as far as weight goes, how much paint will it take to coat the inside of the car, hold the paint in a tin and compare it to the weight of the carpet ect. Is it worth it strictly for weight loss?
pclabrat
Regular

November 2003
Re: sound deadening, take it or leave it? Wed, 12 January 2005 10:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sound deadener helps stop flatter panel areas from "drumming".
Without it you'll get more low frequency reverb , eg. if you've got a noisy exhaust, the panels will amplify it into the cabin (especially on long highway cruises at constant rpm); and vibration created apmlified noise (from road vibration etc.).

considering exhaust noise, how much you care depends if you want to be able to have a conversation at highway speeds without 'nightclub syndrome'...

looks shiteloads better without it though

[Updated on: Wed, 12 January 2005 10:32]

purpleminiep
Regular

May 2002
Re: sound deadening, take it or leave it? Wed, 12 January 2005 10:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I took mine out with a chisel and a hammer. I came up easily and was not as messy as melting it. I then washed the floor with a scotchbrite and some prepsol to remove the leftovers. Havnt driven the car since as im still painting the damn thing.

Brad
jesseT18
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: sound deadening, take it or leave it? Mon, 17 January 2005 12:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i took it all out with a heat gun and paint scraper, wasnt hard at all!
then cleaned the crap off with a rag and kero
i only took it out from behind the back seats to the hatch, i'de say only about 4kg's worth, but i wanted the weight reduction of no back seats and carpet, and if i was doing this, i had to make it look half decent
as for how it sounds? i probably wont know for a few months but i reken ill regret taking it out!
jesseT18
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: sound deadening, take it or leave it? Mon, 17 January 2005 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and look at what i found under the sound deadneing behind the back seats!
http://img38.exs.cx/img38/1293/drughole22ps.jpg
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: sound deadening, take it or leave it? Mon, 17 January 2005 12:16 Go to previous message
im fairly sure theyre the chassis aeration holes
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:MX83 idle problem
Next Topic:GZ-20 for nothing! panels needed :(
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 13 04:59:31 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0059530735015869 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.