Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Fr3aK
Regular

January 2005
Alot of Cressida Q's Mon, 17 January 2005 14:16 Go to next message
Hey all,

Hopefully soon i'll be buying a Cressida. I need to know:

1) What are the main differences between a GLX and Grande? More than leather seats?
2) Do all Grande's have an LSD? Or was it just an option? What type is it? How difficult is it to locate an LSD for these cars? How can i test to see if the Grande in question has an LSD fitted?
3) Do JZX90 struts bolt-on to a MX83 Cressida?
4) How hard is the 1JZ-GTE conversion with a JZX81 half cut?
5) What are the 'gremlins' in these cars? All cars have gremlins!

Thanks.
  Send a private message to this user    
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Alot of Cressida Q's Mon, 17 January 2005 14:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1. I'll leave this one to the cardigan-wearing Cressida experts. Very Happy

2. All MX83 Cressida's have a G-series diff, and the Grande's have a clutch-type LSD centre. It is the same centre used in Mk3 Supra's and practically all Hilux's since the dawn of time, so diff centres of all varieties (whether factory or aftermarket) are easy to find.

The only 100% sure way to know if the Cressida you're looking at is equipped with an LSD centre it to remove the rear cover of the diff housing and have a look. An easier but less reliable method is to have a look at the axle code on the build plate (you'll find this rivetted to the firewall in the engine bay), and if it ends with a 5 you know it was fitted with an LSD from the facotry; that doesn't mean it's still there of course.

3. Yes.

4. Pretty damn easy, as engine conversions go. It's the same chassis so you're essentially just swapping parts.

5. The most obvious gremlin is the 7M. Get rid of it!!

[Updated on: Mon, 17 January 2005 14:36]

manmx83
Regular

July 2004
Re: Alot of Cressida Q's Mon, 17 January 2005 14:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Please search "1j cressida conversions" to access a FAQ section which will help answer some of your questions.then have a look at the toyotacressida.com site for the rest.Use the search and the technical library,also go to foryms and look at the model specific section on MX83.Cheers.Pete. Smile
ps.gremlins-as Norbie said,the 7m [stock motor] is prone to head gasket failure.many argue its an easy fix with a new gasket and good torque down but that argument is long and tedious and not for this forum.[search it on the cressi site]
Common electrical gremlins are window switches and failed power antenna.
LSD-jack both rear wheels off the ground.spin one,if its LSD the other wheel will spin in the same direction.If not LSD it will spin in the reverse direction.[as well as what Norbie said]

[Updated on: Mon, 17 January 2005 15:03]

peeack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2004
Re: Alot of Cressida Q's Mon, 17 January 2005 14:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1) I Grande's came with sunroof standard (I think.. either that or an option) and a CD player (fooly sik 90's tech CD player) and ehm... anyone else? I sold my cardigan Wink
capableronTRD
Regular

July 2004
Re: Alot of Cressida Q's Mon, 17 January 2005 21:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1-For cressida's options : http://www.thermactor.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22 12

2-The grande has sunroof, lsd, abs, leather, cd, digital climate control, electric adjustable drivers seat (i think) as standard. As far as i know all grandes have lsd. Its easy to check you dont even have to jack the car up- look for this:
http://www.reanimotion.com/ToyMods/diffdeco.gif

3) JZX90? I'm not sure, AFAIK no they dont.

4) Feedback from others that have done this conversion is that physically fitting the engine is easy, especially if you have a post 1991 model which has a different crossmember design allowing the motor to drop straight in. The biggest drama is adapting the standard loom to run the 1j. You could change the whole loom over, or search the cressida forums for info on adapting the old one-its been done many times before. Other dramas people seem to have is getting the factory cruise control and ABS to work after the conversion.

5) Well the MX83's gremlins are:
-Head gaskets. The life of these can be prolonged by doing a proper repair- making sure the head and block surface are dead flat, using a genuine gasket or aftermarket metal gasket (from the likes of HKS etc..) and tightening the bolts beyond the toyota recommended value of 58ft/lbs to somewhere around 72ft/lbs.

-Other gremlins-Theres not a heck of a lot. The standard auto (A340E) is very tough, being a toyota most things hold together quite well. I've had mine for over a year now (91 GLX) and apart from a head gasket (which was fixed before i bought the car, blew again because the mechanic didn't do a good job, so fixed by me in the last couple of weeks) i haven't had any major problems. Watch for the plastic top tank on the radiator cracking if your car has/ever had a blown head gasket- they're prone to be cooked by the exhaust gasses getting into the coolant. There are minor problems which i'll try to list

-oil leaks from the cam covers (easy fix - retighten or replace seals)
-oil leaking through the distributor (either a new o ring or if its leaking through the shaft (like mine) you'll need a whole new distributor). It doesnt cause a problem though, mines always been like that with no ill effect
-valve stem seals - again this is related to if the car has been overheating or the age of the car. Not really a gremlin as all cars suffer this problem.
-problems with the car idling- eg: too high or too low. This is commonly caused by a faulty idle speed control valve which is usually rectified by pulling it out and cleaning all the carbon and gunk on them that builds up over the years (again easy fix).

They're really a great car. No 'dirty your underpants' speed machine but will easily take a VN commodore in good mechanical condition (at least that's my experience). They're very refined and well equiped, the engine is smooth and quiet (albeit a bit thirsty on fuel)- the suspensions a bit soft but this is ofset by a superb ride.

Get one, you wont be disappointed. Have it checked out by a reputable mechanic for head gasket as a minimum.

[Updated on: Mon, 17 January 2005 21:35]

Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Alot of Cressida Q's Mon, 17 January 2005 22:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
capableronTRD wrote on Tue, 18 January 2005 07:29

3) JZX90? I'm not sure, AFAIK no they dont.

Ooops, for some reason I read that as JZX81. You're right, JZX90 struts will not fit.
EvilJack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2002

Re: Alot of Cressida Q's Tue, 18 January 2005 00:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
not all grandes have a sunroof, mine doesnt Sad

visit www.toyotacressida.com for some helpful info

[Updated on: Tue, 18 January 2005 00:07]

Fr3aK
Regular

January 2005
Re: Alot of Cressida Q's Tue, 18 January 2005 00:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool, this stuff is great. Thanks people!

What coil-overs bolt-on to a 1992 Cressida Grande?

Also, is head gasket failure a matter of when not if? ie is it a ticking timebomb? Is there anything thing you can do to stave off it failing?

[Updated on: Tue, 18 January 2005 01:04]

Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Alot of Cressida Q's Tue, 18 January 2005 01:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JZX81 Chaser/MkII struts will fit an MX83 Cressida. Places like ImportBitz get these in fairly regularly.

7M's are getting pretty old now and yes, most of them are a ticking time bomb. Do a search if you want to learn about preventative maintenance, but the best prevention IMO is to be rid of the thing entirely.
capableronTRD
Regular

July 2004
Re: Alot of Cressida Q's Tue, 18 January 2005 03:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The only preventative maintenance is to replace the head gasket before it blows.

By making sure the head and block surfaces are flat, using a genuine head gasket(toyota redesigned them a few times to help the problem) and tightening the bolts to 72ft/lbs would be the best insurance. Once the gasket has been properly repaired the 7M's dont really fail alot more than any other motor.

The bad rep behind them is partially due to the insuffient head bolt torque that toyota recommends, plus the age of motors these days. Any 7M on its original gasket is a worry, but IF its been repaired well, it should last.

wumpagrande1992
Regular

July 2002
Re: Alot of Cressida Q's Tue, 18 January 2005 14:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My Grande has no sunroof or moon roof, whatever they were called. The 7M is a pain in the ass. The JZX81 front cut is the best way to go for a 1JZ conversion. GLX is lighter but you lose LSD and CD and leather.

Parts can be dear and there is not a lot of aftermarket support for parts, standard or preformance. Having said thaty I've had mine for 4 years and the head gasket only went at Christmas. One of the most pleasant cars I have driven. Have enough poke for day to day driving.

And yeah go to toyotacressida com
Fr3aK
Regular

January 2005
Re: Alot of Cressida Q's Fri, 21 January 2005 01:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK. I've heard from alot of Cressida drivers that their cars use heaps of petrol. Why is the 7M-GE in the Cressida shell so thirsty?

Has anyone dynoed their stock Cressida? What A/F's was it running at: full load and at cruise? Print outs?

If it's rich A/F ratios i can tune it out with a SAFC Very Happy
Thanks.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Alot of Cressida Q's Fri, 21 January 2005 02:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
7M's in general are thirsty engines, and Cressida's are heavy cars. Tuning will probably help but it will never be light on fuel.
Fr3aK
Regular

January 2005
Re: Alot of Cressida Q's Fri, 21 January 2005 05:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
^^^
Aiight,

Does anyone have any Dyno runs?
capableronTRD
Regular

July 2004
Re: Alot of Cressida Q's Fri, 21 January 2005 05:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no difference in weight to a MA70 Supra (I think..), with the bonus of 4 doors. Economy isnt brilliant- as one mechanic told me "if you can afford to buy a cressida you can afford to not even look at your fuel bills", it may have been true in 1992, but in 2005 its not the ideal car for poor uni students...

- prior to head gasket fix i was getting approx 400km per 60L tank, with some err..."spirited" driving Very Happy Dunno what it'll do now.

They are supposed to use around 12.5L/100kms in good nick, but few if any have ever found that especially since the average cress is pushing 200000kms.
capableronTRD
Regular

July 2004
Re: Alot of Cressida Q's Fri, 21 January 2005 05:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
...Find me a dyno and i'll show you a run Laughing

I'm not aware of any stock cressida dyno runs, you could try for some N/A supra's tho- prob your best bet.
Fr3aK
Regular

January 2005
Re: Alot of Cressida Q's Fri, 21 January 2005 05:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
capableronTRD wrote on Fri, 21 January 2005 16:37

its not the ideal car for poor uni students...

Mate, no car is ideal for poor uni students. Believe me, i'm one of them.

Being the hipo-crit i am, i've got a Datsun drift car too. Hence the "Vienta for sale"...

A luxury Cressida as a daily, and Datsun thrasher for weekends sounds pretty good to me!

SOMEONE BUY MY VIENTA!
capableronTRD
Regular

July 2004
Re: Alot of Cressida Q's Fri, 21 January 2005 05:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Haha..the irony.
I was looking for a 5 speed V6 camry and ended up with a cressida (i've only had my car for less than a year), there werent any 5 speeds around when i needed them.

Pity you're not in townsville, i'd consider a swap http://www.thermactor.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=54 51
Laughing - $1600 head gasket repair done 50 (yes 50!)kms ago..should last a lifetime!!

Fr3aK
Regular

January 2005
Re: Alot of Cressida Q's Fri, 21 January 2005 10:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've decided on NOT buying a GLX. The standard LSD in the Grande is worth the extra...
You'd have to give me $5000 on top too (but i'd have to give ya a fuel rebate on driving down here, just to be nice).

Now, back to fuel consumption. What does everyone get per 100kms?

How much does it cost to fix and replace a blown head gasket?
capableronTRD
Regular

July 2004
Re: Alot of Cressida Q's Fri, 21 January 2005 21:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The grandes are in much higher demand, so if you could find a mint GLX you could just do an lsd convo and save some cash. (but you would loose out on ABS, and the leather (which i've heard isn't that good quality anyway).

SEARCH the cressida forums, theres a quite lengthy discussion on fuel economy there. For the record i get about 14-16L/100kms.

As for BHG- cost me $1600 to do myself, using genuine parts and doing the head bolts+ washers, radiator, injectors, battery, fuel filter and timing belt at the same time, plus had to buy a few tools. Should be say $700 for parts (genuine) if you have all the necessary tools. A mechanic will typically charge upwards of $1500 and you dont know how good a job has been done and chances are hes going to use a poorer quality (thus more prone to failure) non genuine headgasket.

[Updated on: Fri, 21 January 2005 21:20]

ColMX83
Occasional Poster

September 2003
Re: Alot of Cressida Q's Sat, 22 January 2005 02:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Geez, you guys really need to check your driving style. Even spirited driving in a 200k old Cressida shouldn't use much more than about 12l/100km. My WORST was around this. By the way, for those of you interested in the 1JZ conversion, I get about 12l/100 around town and blasting but 10 on the highway, even with a half ton of trailer being towed behind it. No special tuning, or tricks. I consider myself to have a heavy foot and don't mind the traffic light dash now and again.

For the record this 1JZ has a standard intercooler, big exhaust and runs 12psi max. Very Happy
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Alot of Cressida Q's Sat, 22 January 2005 03:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ColMX83 wrote on Sat, 22 January 2005 13:43

Geez, you guys really need to check your driving style. Even spirited driving in a 200k old Cressida shouldn't use much more than about 12l/100km. My WORST was around this.

I think many people dream of 8.33k/L as a WORST figure.....the sad case is I don't think its gonna happen anytime soon with spirited driving + 7mge (except in exceptional circumstances which I cannot explain...Laughing)! (toyota quote 8.7k/L or 11.5L/100 for city driving, which might be a little lighter on the right-most pedal than most of the owners on this forum... Smile)

Then again I might be completely off base Smile

EDIT: Tho the upside of this is, if you can afford to drive a cressida, you can afford to drive a performance car as well Wink

Cheers
Wilbo

[Updated on: Sat, 22 January 2005 03:50]

ColMX83
Occasional Poster

September 2003
Re: Alot of Cressida Q's Sat, 22 January 2005 04:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I didn't mean to be a smart arse. The Cressida (mine 1988 MX83) is a fantastic car and was way ahead of its era. How many cars in it's class were any where near the mark. Maybe my engine had been "looked after" a bit more than most, but at the ned of the day you're right. They are not the most fuel efficient. For anyone who questions the 1JZ conversion and the cost, the thing is awesome and the fuel economy is BETTER than th 7M (considering the vintage of these engines, this should not be surprising). I run an auto, so this SHOULD be worse than the manual, but if I can pull half a ton of trailer (all up approx. 2 ton) and still get around 9 to the litre, then why wouldn't you.

I have read a lot about this conversion over the last few years, and while you can build an absolute killer, my car is everything that I want. Kid taxi, long distance transit (2300km's in 24 hrs) and freely rev's to the 7500 rpm rev limiter. with constant heavy loading and frequent excursions to ht e high side of 7k rpm I would expect the fuel efficiency to be CRAP. BTW I still use the standard fuel pump and this thing is no where near leaning!
capableronTRD
Regular

July 2004
Re: Alot of Cressida Q's Sat, 22 January 2005 04:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well mines got 168,000kms with strong compression, and a head rebuild less than 20,000kms ago. I found the best i could get was around 420kms per tank (60 litres),how does that compare?

I dont want to give the impression that i treat my throttle like an on/off switch, i'm the same as you - enjoy the odd traffic light dash or backstreet thrashings but in day to day traffic i drive this car like its targetted demographic-an old man.

That figure was BEFORE my head gasket repair, during which time i also fitted a new fuel filter and had the injectors cleaned and flowed (two out of 6 were down on flow before cleaning). My 02 sensor might be a bit old but it has no indications of any problems and i'm not running overly rich mixtures - no significant amount of fuel smoke.

ColMX83
Occasional Poster

September 2003
Re: Alot of Cressida Q's Sat, 22 January 2005 05:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK, well I can't speak for the 7M, but with the 1JZ, the type of auto fluid has made all of the difference. In the 7m I used Dexron III, flushed with about 12l when I first bought it (castrol). It wasn't until I bought the 1JZ that I started to really understand auto fluids. The fluid is designed to match the clutch packs inside the gearbox.I know a lot of the Soarer guys will be able to back this up. When I bought my engine, the fluid was pretty ordinary, so I bought 20l of Castrol's finest synthetic, Transmax Z. ($250) I thought that this would be the best for a high performance auto. How wrong could I be. After a few shift dramas and "burning" I bought the Toyota Type IV fluid ($25 for four litres) and reflushed the system. The car now gets between 1 and 2 k's per litre better fuel consumption.

I don't mean to appear judgemental, just trying to help people, ht e quality of the fluid and periodicity of changes has a HUGE impact on the "hookup" of the gearbox and as such effects the economy of the engine.

I have since learnt that the clutch material varies from gearbox to gearbox and as such, Toyota had their gearboxes and fluis specifically designed for them. Given the cost of the Toyota fluid (not much higher than Castrol Dexron III) this may be worth a try.

Toyota also recommend a servicing (fluid change) period of 30000 kms on their autos.
OO-259
Newcomer

January 2005
Re: Cressida sunroof and ABS Grande Mon, 24 January 2005 10:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Luxury pack option for Grande was, believe it or not, ABS brakes and sunroof. I have a 1990 Grande purchased new and I had to take a sunroof to get the (luxury) ABS brakes. Actually the dealer threw in the luxury pack to get the sale. Hardly ever used the sunroof as I don't like the smell of fumes in Sydney traffic. (and sunburnt bald head)

Cardigan on, windows up and airconditioning on always. Seduced by the quietness in the car.

Have averaged arond 10 to 10.5 litres per 100kms, mainly Sydney, Bowral and running around the city. On many occasions saw over 500 kms between tank fills. Best was 595kms on a cardigan inspired trip to Queensland.

Still a better car to drive than my 2004 company Berlina.

Have been in a state of shock since Toyota stopped bringing them to Australia in 1992-3.

At 60 years of age too old to go the twin turbo route. Bought a Honda VFR800 instead for my late life crisis. Brand new leather cardigan too.

celicamad
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Cressida sunroof and ABS Grande Mon, 24 January 2005 12:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mine is currently For Sale ... dont want to sell but im moving on to bigger and better things .

1jzgte mx83 Cressida 1jzgte
big custom intercooler
twin dump pipes with full custom exhaust
all new lowered suspension
lsd
shift kit in auto
genuine 100,000 klms total on engine
proven performer 8.58 1/8th mile ,209 RWKW(have dyno sheets)
hiperboost controller
mags
cd player

$15,000
Toyo Truck
Regular

August 2004
    I ain't no JABBER!
Re: Alot of Cressida Q's Sat, 11 June 2005 01:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oops repost

[Updated on: Sat, 11 June 2005 01:14]

Toyo Truck
Regular

August 2004
    I ain't no JABBER!
Re: Alot of Cressida Q's Sat, 11 June 2005 01:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Guys,

I was just doing a bit of research on Cressida MX83s,
in particular the diffs.

To quote Norbie from earlier in this topic:-
All MX83 Cressida's have a G-series diff, and the Grande's have a clutch-type LSD centre. It is the same centre used in Mk3 Supra's and practically all Hilux's since the dawn of time, so diff centres of all varieties (whether factory or aftermarket) are easy to find.

Does this mean that any hilux centre will fit into a cressida
diff housing? Does this include 4WD diff centres?

IF so I have an ARB air-locker fitted to both my diffs in my hilux. Could I purchase another and install it into the cressida housing?

Cheers,
Bart

TheStitt
Forums Junkie

Membership Secretary

June 2002

Re: Alot of Cressida Q's Sat, 11 June 2005 01:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Toyo

In one word.

Yep

It should fit a g series is a g series
Toyo Truck
Regular

August 2004
    I ain't no JABBER!
Re: Alot of Cressida Q's Sat, 11 June 2005 08:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Awesome. I was hoping/thinking you would say that.

The ARB air-lockers is the best diff upgrade I have
ever done to the 4WD. It gives 100% positve drive to
all wheels and is on/off like a light switch.
This would be an awesome setup for drifting!

These centres are strong too, I have a mate who snapped
2 axles on the same centre and both times refitted the
same air-locker centre unchanged with new axles. He has
been driving for 8 months locked on 38" tyres without a problem.
They are 8.5" and have more splines than a ford 9" so in my
opinion, you will never break one of these onroad with 25" or
whatever car tyres are.

Sweet, can anyone point me in the direction of some more info
for the ARB swap? Anyone tried it for sure?

Cheers,
Bart
TheStitt
Forums Junkie

Membership Secretary

June 2002

Re: Alot of Cressida Q's Sat, 11 June 2005 13:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
your correct in saying they have more splines than a 9 inch however you'll find that they are only a 8 inch diff not 8.5.

Toymoman75 has an ARB air locker in the G series diff under his TA22.

I'm happy with the true Trak limo I have in my F series diff, I believe they makes these units for G series diffs to. (torsen LSD)

Ribfeast
Forums Junkie

March 2005

Re: Alot of Cressida Q's Sun, 12 June 2005 12:42 Go to previous message
18-20L per 100km on my 1JZ cressida, something doesn't sound right there! Started a seperate thread about it. I'd kill to have Col's fuel economy!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:2JZGE Computer and Loom Matching
Next Topic:4ac into ke35???
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 09:09:46 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0082240104675293 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.