Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

TEMS technical Mon, 17 January 2005 10:47 Go to next message
Can someone outline EXACTLY what TEMS suspension does. I wanna be able to field some more questions more thoroughly on my suspension.

Currently I know:

It stiffens suspension by a touch of a button
Sounds like a pair of relays in the back (on the strut towers), and the strut towers at the front are larger than "normal".

What exactly happens? Does it change the shock dampening or ... ? I can't picture it.
  Send a private message to this user    
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: TEMS technical Mon, 17 January 2005 21:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
a servo motor turns a valve in the shock that lets less or more fluid through as the shock absorber compresses.

i hazard a guess that its actively controlled via a steering sensor and also maybe something that detects body roll.

If i had my MA70 manual here at work i could tell u more.

Mr Revhead
Regular

October 2004
Re: TEMS technical Mon, 17 January 2005 21:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think its hooked to the brakes as well, if you have it on soft and u lift of the gas and hit the brakes fast it automaticlly switches to hard.
also does it if u lift off the gas and just touch the pedal enough to set off the brake lights
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: TEMS technical Mon, 17 January 2005 22:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah it does come on auto if you hit a corner too hard, or if you jam the brakes on.

Where does the fluid come from? Where does it go after its switched back to normal? Does it need to compress to push it back out?

I can switch it to hard mid corner and its pretty instant stiffening, but switching it back to normal it needs a couple of secconds.
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: TEMS technical Mon, 17 January 2005 22:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
all of the fluid is contained in the shock absorber.

like all shocks, the TEMS shock is just a ram that pushes fluid through a hole all self contained in a tube. the smaller the hole, the harder it is to push fluid through it, the harder the shock is.

the cool thing about the TEMS shock is that it uses a valve to adjust the size of the hole that the ram has to push the fluid through.

so the servo motor turns the valve to allow more fluid (boaty) or less fluid (hard)

check out google for a cut away diagram of a shock absorber, then picture that the channel that the fluid gets forced through during compression is adjustable, and you have your TEMS shock.

dont know if im being clear so HTH.
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: TEMS technical Mon, 17 January 2005 23:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TEMS is controlled by a magic box (the tems computer) mounted in the rear of the ma70s. It takes inputs from the steering sensor (little ring that fits around the steering column), the brake lights, the TEMS controller buttons and a speed input from memory from the ECU (if the speed signal is inputted to the ECU from the back of the speedo).

Essentially depending on the position of the switch on the controller it will default to soft (Normal) or Medium (Sport).

The servos will switch the shocks to hard no matter where the Normal/Sport switch is when one the following is occurring;

Cornering above a certain degree.

Braking when above 60 km/h.

Accelerating quickly.

Braking quickly.

There's a heap of info in the TSRM about them and the diagnostics you can do all of the above is from my bodgy memory since I no longer have my factory workshop manual.
Anthony Kellam
Regular

July 2002
Re: TEMS technical Tue, 18 January 2005 00:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message

It's like Tein EDFC, only shitter. If you take a servo off the top of a strut you'll find an adjuster just like most other adjustable shocks. The shocks could then operate standalone as adjustable shocks if you like, albeit with only three settings and unless they've been rebuilt they're probably stuffed anyway.
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: TEMS technical Tue, 18 January 2005 01:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The good thing is the struts are only $73.50 from toyota. Smile And they are made by KYB.
c2888
Regular

May 2002

Re: TEMS technical Tue, 18 January 2005 03:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I had a play with my friends supra once whilst we were fitting some TEINs, basically we couldn't install the rears because the spring tops were assembled the wrong way.

Off we went to the testing facility, late night tuning estates Wink
We had the TEINs in the front, stockers in the rear. Since the rears were only temporary we didn't fit the servo motors, thus with some baby needle nose pliers we wound a half turn more into the rears.

After a few laps and a few more settings, we could get the car to oversteer on the softer settings, and it would totally rail on the harder settings.

There was a definate increase in shock stiffness with only slight adjustments.

dodgydan

oh yeah, they don't click either, so remember where the stock position is
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: TEMS technical Tue, 18 January 2005 12:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lumpy wrote on Tue, 18 January 2005 10:09

TEMS is controlled by a magic box (the tems computer) mounted in the rear of the ma70s. It takes inputs from the steering sensor (little ring that fits around the steering column), the brake lights, the TEMS controller buttons and a speed input from memory from the ECU (if the speed signal is inputted to the ECU from the back of the speedo).

Essentially depending on the position of the switch on the controller it will default to soft (Normal) or Medium (Sport).

The servos will switch the shocks to hard no matter where the Normal/Sport switch is when one the following is occurring;

Cornering above a certain degree.

Braking when above 60 km/h.

Accelerating quickly.

Braking quickly.

There's a heap of info in the TSRM about them and the diagnostics you can do all of the above is from my bodgy memory since I no longer have my factory workshop manual.

will also switch from water loged raft (normal) to boat (sport) above 120kph and can be obtained for about $55 each (trade) from your nearest toyota dealer

Well worth the $200, maybe even acceptable with revised springs and anti-roll bars (yet to be tested)

Allan
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: TEMS technical Tue, 18 January 2005 13:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
$55 each! now i really have no exuse to keep driving around on stuffed shocks.

I had problems getting toyota to order a set of tems in becuase my car was a jap import. Anyone able to hook me up? I'll pay ya for your trouble.
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: TEMS technical Tue, 18 January 2005 13:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i'll send you the part numbers if you pester me enough to go out and have a look

Allan
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: TEMS technical Tue, 18 January 2005 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
welcome back ole buddy ole pal, haven't seen you on toymods for awhile.

so how bout them part numbers ? Very Happy

don't spose you have part numbers for set of stock springs too? Razz and to really push things new upper and lower bushes for all 4 wheels? Rolling Eyes
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: TEMS technical Tue, 18 January 2005 14:01 Go to previous message
dingaling wrote on Wed, 19 January 2005 00:49

welcome back ole buddy ole pal, haven't seen you on toymods for awhile.

so how bout them part numbers ? Very Happy

don't spose you have part numbers for set of stock springs too? Razz and to really push things new upper and lower bushes for all 4 wheels? Rolling Eyes

Yes better and worse thigs todo in life besides toymods, upper bushes i suggest looking on planetsoarer.com and exploring that path (i think uzz3x and ma70 ones should inter-change) lower ones get some superpro??? poly ones, check your lower bal-joints and just make shure the subframe-body rubbers are in good condition.

as for springs just goto a spring works and get some say 20% stiffer and an inch lower perhaps? you will need to alk to them first ( probably require installed spring length and perferably samples of original springs)

Allan
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Central locking/alarm fuse
Next Topic:Specific SA-63 celica Questions
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri May 10 06:11:46 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0059211254119873 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.